Kilwinning Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot



Talbot hit 6 as they hit top gear to blow away the Buffs at a wet, windswept Kilwinning sports stadium.

The Buffs were intent on creating their own problems in the opening spell, trying and failing to play the ball out from the back whilst Talbot snapped into a high press. In the opening minute Shankland latched onto a poor ball from the back and played it through for Boylan who was just beaten to it by Gordon.

Three minutes in and Armstrong pounced on a poor clearance and headed for the box before brought down – resulting in a Talbot free kick 25 yards out. MICHAEL WARDROPE took it and Gordon could only stand and watch as it sailed over the wall and under the bar to put Talbot into an early lead.

Kilwinning responded positively and put the Bot defence under a period of pressure as they pegged Talbot back and won a string of corners but the Bot defence held out.

With 17 mins on the clock Talbot won a penalty. McPherson flighted a free kick up the right that Graham Wilson headed on and when Park went down under a challenge from the back the ref pointed to the spot. MARK SHANKLAND stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to double Talbot’s lead.

The penalty award didn’t go down well with the Buffs bench and before play could resume one of the coaching staff was shown a red card and made the short journey up to the clubhouse.

In the 19th minute Kilwinning won a free kick out on the left which Wood curled into the centre where it came off a defender’s head and dropped just over the crossbar. The resultant corner was whipped into the back post but no one read it and it headed out for a goal kick.

Talbot got in behind the home defence in the 27th minute. Graham Wilson’s bending ball up the left found Wardrope in behind and he fired a good early ball across that just eluded Boylan in front of goal.

Kilwinning were showing signs of frustration and with half an hour gone Marshall opted to go for goal from a free kick all of 40 yards out and unsurprisingly hoofed it miles over.

Two minutes later Talbot were back on the attack when Wardrope slipped a pass through the defence. Boylan was just beaten to it by Gordon and the loose ball came to Shankland who couldn’t get his shot away and had to settle for a corner.

The Buffs picked up a caution in the 36th minute when a defender went through the back of Shankland.

Talbot were looking dangerous on the break and in the 38th minute Boylan skinned Nicoll before racing up the left wing. He cut it back toward Wardrope but he was well challenged inside the area before he could get the shot off.

Five minutes before the interval Boylan received a yellow card following an aerial challenge with the Buffs keeper and a minute later Nicoll was cautioned for flooring Shankland.

In the closing moments of the half Talbot won a free kick outside the box for a trip on Park. Wardrope angled the ball across trying to find Graham Wilson but it was just taken off him by a deflection for a corner and Talbot had to settle for the two goal cushion.

Talbot had no thought of resting on their laurels and made the early running after the re-start. Boylan freed Shankland on the right edge of the area but he was well-tackled as he tried to cut inside.

Stafford then did well, bursting between 2 defenders, to make the bye line and drill it low across goal where Gordon smothered it at the near post.

Kilwinning now made a change with Gavin Millar on for Chris Millar.

The Bot won a free kick just wide of the box in the 50th minute when M Millar caught Boylan as he raced onto a ball over the top. Wardrope took it and swept a great ball beyond the back post where McCracken met it unchallenged but he sent his header into the side-netting.

Leishman wasn’t called upon too often but when he was he proved equal to the task. He made a good stop to his left to turn away a powerful drive from the edge of the area and also recovered in time to block the rebound, though it wouldn’t have counted in any case as the assistant flagged for offside.

Graham Wilson was the next into the book for – receiving a booking for an aerial challenge in the Buffs half.

Talbot now made a change with Boylan going off following a heavy knock to be replaced by Samson.

The game was effectively over as a contest in the 63rd minute when Talbot grabbed their 3rd. Samson hunted down a ball in behind the defence and pressured Gordon into a hurried clearance. He hit it straight out to Graham Wilson who teed it up for MARK SHANKLAND and he took his time before slotting the ball home.

The Buffs now made a triple change with MacIntyre, Marshall and Lamont making way for Lewis, MacCalman and Stuart.

Gordon prevented Talbot from extending their lead in the 66th minute. Samson met Wardrope’s corner from the left and his powerful header was well saved by the keeper.

In the 73rd minute Talbot made a double switch with Taylor and Ballantyne coming on for Shankland and Graham Wilson.

With the Buffs pushing bodies forward they were vulnerable on the break and were nearly caught out with 15 mins remaining. Samson swept a quick ball right to left to find Wardrope racing in on goal but the ball broke off him and ran through to the keeper.

With 12 mins remaining Talbot made a further change with new signing Ali Boyle on for his debut in place of Wardrope and the new face made an early impact as his accurate early pass released KIER SAMSON through the centre to tuck home goal no. 4 in the 81st minute.

A minute later Boyle hit another good early ball but this time Gordon was quickly out his box to beat Samson to it and clear for a shy.

Five minutes from time Talbot made it 5. Samson sped away on the left and quickly switched it to the opposite flank where ROSS TAYLOR cut inside into the box before placing it beyond Gordon.

In the 87th minute Samson appeared set to race through on the end of Taylor’s well-weighted pass but he was halted in his tracks by a dubious offside decision.

In the final minute of normal time the Buffs were reduced to 10 men. Armstrong was caught by a late tackle and at first the referee only produced a yellow before he belatedly realised that he’d already booked him and sent him off – with Kilwinning’s strip design it was difficult to see which number he wore.

Talbot wrapped up the scoring in injury time. Taylor showed neat footwork inside the area to skip away from MacCalman who promptly went through the back of him. The ref pointed to the spot and KIER SAMSON drilled it past Gordon to make the final score 6-0 to Talbot.

Off the top of my head, this must be one of Talbot’s largest winning margins on the road in a league game, certainly for some time and a good 3 points on the board and boost to the goal difference.

Next up, Talbot are back in cup action this Saturday when they host Muirkirk in the West of Scotland.

Kilwinning Rangers – Gordon, Boland, Mark Millar, Nicoll, Marshall, Chris Millar, Wood, MacIntyre, Mackin, Collins, Lamont

Subs – Torrance, Lewis, MacCalman, Stuart, Gavin Millar, McMahon, Henderson

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Wardrope, Park, Graham Wilson, Boylan, Shankland

Subs – Taylor, Samson, Mason, Crawford, Ballantyne, Boyle



Date Time Competition Season
November 9, 2022 19:30 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2022/23


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Kilwinning Rangers000
Auchinleck Talbot246

Kilwinning Rangers

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
6Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
14Ali Boyle 8Midfielder0100
16Jamie Ballantyne 9Defender0000
9Graham Wilson 16Forward0020
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
10Mark Shankland 15Forward2000
12Keir Samson 11Forward2100
11Bryan Boylan 12Forward0010
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
17Aaron MasonMidfielder0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
8Michael Wardrope 14Midfielder1000
18Lewis CrawfordDefender0000
7Ally ParkMidfielder0000
15Ross Taylor 10Midfielder1000
 Total 6230


Kilwinning Sports Club
Glenapp Place, Kilwinning KA13 6TG, UK


Calum Haswell

League Table