Auchinleck Talbot v Clydebank




Talbot slumped to a disappointing home defeat to Clydebank that leaves the Bot’s title hopes hanging by a thread.

The Bot couldn’t have asked for a better start – taking the lead within a minute. A cross into the box was headed clear and landed at McMahon whose poor 1st touch gifted it to MICHAEL WARDROPE who buried a shot high into the net from the edge of the area.

In the 7th minute Boyle burst into the area down the left & managed to force a corner. Wardrope swept it over to the back post but the defence did well to head it clear.

Two minutes later N Little threaded a pass through for Weir but he’d went too early and wandered offside and Leishman managed to parry his shot away in any case.

The Bot had a half chance in the 10th minute. Samson pounced on hestitant defending to win the ball inside the box and shoved it right to find Boyle in space. He tried to drill it across the face of goal but it was blocked behind for a corner. The corner was taken quickly to Samson who tried to score from  a tight angle only to see his shot blocked behind for a 2nd corner. When the 2nd corner came in the Bankies defence couldn’t initially head it clear but Talbot failed to take advantage & the ball was eventually cleared.

Leishman had to look lively in the 11th minute when N Little fired a snapshot from 19 yards that Leishman saved low to his right.

The action then flowed to the other end where Aiden Wilson’s pacy cross found Graham Wilson inside the area. He laid it back for Boyle to hit but his shot was blocked by a defender and sailed straight at the keeper.

Clydebank had a chance to draw level on the quarter hour mark. Weir got away on the right only for McPherson to get back and make the challenge. Weir reacted 1st to the loose ball and cut inside the area before sliding a shot across goal and wide of the far post.

In the 17th minute Talbot won a free kick out wide on the right for a foul on Samson. Wardrope whipped it into the middle where it was headed clear. The ball came out to McPherson on the right wing and he drilled a low shot on target that Donnelly held at his near post.

Talbot had a chance to double their lead soon after. Samson charged down Niven’s attempted clearance & fed the ball out right to Taylor. He cut inside and then squared it for Graham Wilson but his shot from 15 yards lacked the pace to trouble the keeper.

The Bot’s next attack saw Taylor back-heel the ball into the path of the overlapping Stafford whose low cross was held by Donnelly at his left hand post.

In the 24th min Niven shanked a clearance that drifted to the byline. Donnelly was unable to pick it up & Taylor gathered and went for the early cross that Donnelly gathered under his bar.

Two mins later Clydebank threatened a leveller. A long ball up the left came off the top of Stafford’s head and the Bankies gathered and played it across to Low on the right of the area whose shot back across goal was pushed away by Leishman.

The first yellow card of the evening came in the 27th minute when Hodge was cautioned for a professional foul on Graham Wilson 30 yards out. Wardrope took the resultant free kick but his ball in was headed clear.

Clydebank were awarded a free kick out on the stand-side touchline for high feet by Graham Wilson. Gallacher whipped the ball over and McPherson headed it behind for a corner. When the corner came in from the left it was met by C LITTLE who steered a low shot inside the left post to level the score with 32 mins gone.

In the 38th minute Taylor found Armstrong overlapping on the right & he swung a dangerous cross over that the defence coped with well.

On the stroke of half-time Clydebank came close to taking the lead. Weir won a corner down the right which was delivered into the near post where N Little glanced a header just wide.

Talbot started the 2nd half positively and had a chance in the 48th minute. Taylor got the better of McHugh out on the right and squared the ball across to Graham Wilson whose shot from 12 yards was deflected just wide of the left post. Wardrope took the corner and it looked an easy take for Donnelly who dropped the ball under no pressure but no Bot player was able to take advantage.

Taylor was then involved at both ends of the field – firing a low ball in from the right that Donnelly held at his near post – and then receiving a booking for a late challenge on Low near the touchline. When Gallacher’s free kick came in Taylor headed clear.

With 53 mins gone Talbot had an effort on target after Taylor managed to win the ball out wide and square it to Boyle at the edge of the area whose shot was well-saved by Donnelly.

Down the other end N Little had a chance for the visitors in the 57th minute. A cutback from the right landed at his feet inside the box but he pulled his half-volley wide of the right post.

On the hour mark McMahon received a yellow card for diving.

Talbot had a good claim for a free kick just outside the box turned down in the 63rd minute. Wardrope slid a ball through on the right and as the defender slid in to clear it the ball struck his arm but the ref waved play on.

The visitors made the game’s first change after 68 mins when Mulgahy replaced Weir up front.

A minute later Talbot had a half chance when Boyle won a header on. It came to Graham Wilson 20 yards out with his back to goal and he wheeled and hit a first time shot just over the bar.

The deciding goal came in the 72nd minute. McCracken slipped when trying to clear at the edge of the area and the ball broke straight to a Bankies player. He slid a pass to N LITTLE in space on the right and he fired it low past Leishman to put Clydebank 2-1 ahead.

Talbot tried for an immediate response and won a free kick just outside the area for Low’s foul on Wardrope for which he also received a booking. Wardrope took it and swerved a great ball to the back post but no Bot player was attacking it and C Little headed behind.

In the 77th minute Talbot made a triple change with Armstrong, Samson & Graham Wilson making way for Healy, Boylan & Mason.

11 minutes from time Stafford powered a ball in from the right that was blocked before a Bankies defender cleared it just over their own bar.

The Bot had a chance to draw level in the 82nd minute. Wardrope took it on his chest before sending a looping cross beyond the far post to Boylan who fired a low shot into the side-netting.

With four minutes remaining Talbot had one final opportunity to test the Bankies when Boylan won a free kick 15 yards out – wide of the penalty area; however, Wardrope didn’t make the most of it and his low ball in failed to beat the first man.

Clydebank saw out the remainder of the match to secure all 3 points.

Next up for Talbot it’s an away day this Saturday to Strathclyde Park where they face Caledonian Braves for a  place in the last four of the South Challenge cup.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Taylor, Boyle, Graham Wilson, Samson, Wardrope

Subs – Mason, Smith, Boylan, Healy, Park, Crawford, Lennox

Clydebank – Donnelly, Hodge, Niven, C Little, McHugh, McMahon, Low, Gallacher, N Little, McKinlay, Weir

Subs – Green, Eze, Slattery, Kelly,McGonigle, Higgins, Mulgahy


Date Time Competition Season
March 29, 2023 19:30 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2022/23


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot101

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
6Gareth Armstrong 15Defender0000
8Ali BoyleMidfielder0000
9Graham Wilson 14Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
10Keir Samson 16Forward0000
14Bryan Boylan 9Forward0000
15Kieran Healy 6Midfielder0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
7Ross TaylorMidfielder0010
16Aaron Mason 10Midfielder0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
11Michael WardropeMidfielder1000
 Total 1010


Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Ryan Kennedy

League Table