Pollok v Auchinleck Talbot



Chris Stafford wins the aerial battle in front of the sheltering crowd and Pollok substitutes.


Glasgow has an early dig from just outside the box but fails to find the back of the net.


Andy Leishman chooses to try to punch the ball away, however…


…the ball falls very kindly at the feet of Pollok’s Adam Forde, who calmly slots the ball home into an empty net. 1-0.


Leishman sinks to his knees, as Forde wheels races away to celebrate his goal.


The Pollok players are all smiles after netting the opener.


Big Andy holds his hand up in acknowledgement of the mistake in the build up to the goal.


During a goalmouth stramash, Pollok try to squeeze the ball into the back of the net but Big Andy has other plans and pulls off a great save.


While trying to break on the counter attack, Samson takes a sore one in a challenge from his opponent.


Willie Boyd goes chasing after the ball in the middle of the park.


Bryan Boylan puffs out the cheeks, as he races up the park during a Talbot attack.


‘Pee-wee’ waits at the back post but the Pollok ‘keeper intervenes and punches the ball away from the danger.


Pollok win a penalty and up steps Ryan McGregor who fires from the spot, however…


…his penalty gets saved by Leishman but McGregor is first to react to the rebound and slots the ball home at the second attempt. 2-0.


McGregor celebrates scoring Pollok’s second goal with his very happy team-mates.


After missing a glorious chance to make it three-nil, the Pollok players slump to their knees and look speechless, as Dwayne Hyslop lets his anger known.


You wouldn’t want to mess with Big Neily when he gets angry!


RED CARD!!! Pollok are reduced to ten men, as Evan Horne gets sent off for a second booking.


Goooaaalll!!! Talbot are awarded a penalty and up steps Jamie Glasgow who fires the ball into the back of the net. 2-1.


WHAT-A-CHANCE!!! From very close range Pollok try to poke the ball home but…


…Andy Leishman stretches and gets his ‘big mitts’ to the ball and prevents the goal.


EQUALISER!!! Talbot pull level, as although Longmuir tries his best, Jamie Glasgow’s strike smashes into the bottom corner of the net. 2-2.


Jamie gets congratulated from Boylan, as he looks happier than the Cheshire Cat!


Jamie gets held back, as he tries to race away up the wing.


CLOSE!!! With half-time looming, Talbot nearly take the lead, as ‘Pee-wee’ fires a low shot at goal but Longmuir does brilliantly to save the strike.


POLLOK REGAIN THE LEAD!!! With the second half barely started, Pollok are awarded a second penalty and up steps Ryan McGregor again, who sends Andy Leishman the wrong way and smashes the ball home. 3-2.


The Pollok players are all smiles after putting themselves back into the lead.


Boylan shows great skill to control the ball while under pressure.


Glasgow has a go from a tight angle but fails to find the back of the net, although…


…he lets his feelings known to the linesman, as he feels he was fouled during that chance.


Samson goes on a great run, as his opponent is left guessing what direction Keir is going to take.


ANOTHER RED CARD!!! Pollok are reduced to 9 men, as David Brownlie is shown a straight red card while receiving treatment from the physio.


The Pollok physio has words with the referee, as the man in the middle demands Brownlie goes into the changing rooms instead of sitting in the Pollok dugout.


In a great position, ‘Pee-wee’ tries to find the back of the net but he can only fire the ball across the face of goal instead.


A THIRD RED CARD!!! Although Pollok win the free-kick, Adam Forde somehow gets his marching orders, as Pollok are reduced further, now to 8 men.


Forde is given a bit of support from the Talbot players after been shown the red card.


While McCracken receives treatment, players from both sides manage to have a laugh at the situation unfolding.


WHAT-A-CHANCE!!! Craig McCracken is left with a free header from right in front of goal but is thwarted by a great save from Jamie Longmuir.


Samson tries his best to fire his strike through a very crowded Pollok box but his shot gets blocked.


With Talbot desperate to find an equaliser, Gareth Armstrong goes for the spectacular from outside the box but fails to find the back of the net.


GOOOAAAAAALLLL!!! With the game heading into injury time, Jamie Glasgow fires a cross into the box where ‘Gee’ manages to flick the ball…


…past Longmuir, into the back of the net and pulls Talbot level again in dramatic fashion. 3-3.


The Pollok players desperately shout for offside, as Graham wheels away to celebrate, while just having a wee look at the linesman to check himself.


Talbot go searching for a very late winner but ‘Shankers’ can’t hit the target with his long range strike.


‘Gee’ does his best to try and win the ball back inside the Pollok box late in the game.


Samson has a word with the linesman, as he felt he was fouled inside the box.


OH SO CLOSE!!! Talbot very nearly find the winner they craved, as McCracken sends a low header towards goal but Jamie Longmuir, again, pulls off a tremendous save to stop Craig from scoring.


After seeing his header saved, Craig goes chasing after the rebound.


WHAT-A-SAVE, AGAIN!!! With the game firmly into ‘Fergie Time’, Talbot nearly find the back of the net through a thunderous shot but Longmuir (AGAIN) pulls off a ‘reeker’ of a save to tip the ball over the crossbar.


The final chance of the game falls to Talbot but Craig McCracken’s headed chance gets cleared by the Pollok defence.


Well…as the full-time whistle gets blown, I think we should all just smile like Big Neily after witnessing a truly unbelievable game of fitba’.



The fans certainly got their money’s worth with this incident packed top of the table encounter which ended all square after a topsy turvy 90 minutes.

Talbot couldn’t have made a worse start; conceding a cheap goal with only 8 minutes on the clock. There seemed no danger when a hanging cross was swung over from the left touchline but Leishman flapped at it & knocked the ball straight into the path of FORDE who rolled it into the empty net.

The Bot defence was under pressure in the 14th minute when Lyon skipped past Wilson on the right and drilled it low across the face of goal. Armstrong cleared it but only as far as Esplin whose shot was deflected wide for a corner. When the corner came over Talbot couldn’t clear their lines, resulting in pinball inside the 6-yard area, before it was finally scrambled behind.

In the 18th minute the referee produced the 1st of many cards. Pollok’s Horne was cautioned for a crunching tackle on Samson as he broke up the park and moments later McPherson received a yellow card at the other end for obstructing S McCann.

Pollok won a free kick in a good area in the 22nd minute which Forde crossed into the area. Aiden Wilson headed it clear & Talbot raced onto the counter with Glasgow spraying an early pass out to the left where Boylan raced onto it and fired a shot on target that Longmuir did well to turn round his post. When the resultant corner came over beyond the far post it was met by Wilson but his ball back across was cleared.

In the 32nd minute Talbot conceded a penalty following a long shy from the right. Wharton hurled it into the centre & the ref judged McCracken to be holding onto Forde’s shirt and pointed to the spot. MCGREGOR took it and fired it low to Leishman’s left. The Bot keeper got his fingertips to it and pushed it onto the post but it rebounded back out to McGregor who tucked away the rebound.

Two minutes later it could have been curtains for Talbot when they failed to cope with a high cross from the left. The ball broke to Lyon in front of goal but he pulled his shot wide of the left post.

Pollok found themselves a man down in the 36th minute. Horne was already on a yellow card when he clipped Glasgow’s heels to prevent him breaking free and the ref produced a 2nd yellow to send him to the clubhouse.

Two minutes later and the referee awarded the 2nd penalty of the afternoon but this time it was to Talbot. Stafford whipped over a cross from the right and Samson was bundled to the ground off the ball and the ref pointed to the spot. JAMIE GLASGOW took it & kept his cool to send Longmuir the wrong way. Sideserf was then booked for dissent.

The momentum had swung Talbot’s way and in the 40th minute the Bot drew level. Wilson fed the ball to JAMIE GLASGOW inside the penalty area & he bent it beyond the keeper and into the bottom corner to make it 2-2.

A minute from the break Wharton became the latest player booked.

In the closing seconds of the half Longmuir produced an outstanding save to prevent Talbot going in ahead. Boylan did well on the right, skipping past Sideserf before squaring it across to Hyslop, who must have thought his low drive was heading into the back of the net til Longmuir managed to put it wide and so the sides went in level at the break.

Talbot started the 2nd half shakily conceding a few needless free kicks to put themselves under pressure and in the 54th minute conceded a 2nd penalty kick. Once again it came from a long throw in from the right. This time Hyslop was penalised for high feet when making a challenge and MCGREGOR gave Leishman no chance as he buried it into the roof of the net.

The referee’s notepad was filling up and in the 56th minute Esplin joined the crime count when he was cautioned for time wasting when he kicked the ball away.

Talbot now made a change with Shankland coming on in place of Boyd.

In the 59th minute Talbot had a penalty appeal waved away when Glasgow appeared to be held by Sideserf inside the box but the ref dismissed Glasgow’s appeals.

Glasgow won a corner in the 63rd minute when his cross spun behind off Wharton. The corner was taken short by Shankland to Glasgow and he fired into the side-netting.

The home side were reduced to 9 men a minute later. Brownlie keeled over in the Pollok goalmouth and was harangued by the Bot support for time-wasting. He rounded on the support and was shown a straight red for swearing at the visiting fans. A decision that is technically correct but would probably see every league fixture finish 7 a side.

Talbot had a good chance to level in the 66th minute. Samson hit a low ball across the face of goal that Hyslop helped on toward the back post where it fell to Glasgow who blazed it over the bar.

A minute later Pollok found themselves down to 8 men. Bizarrely the referee awarded Pollok a free kick for McCracken’s challenge on Forde and then sent Forde off for elbowing McCracken who had to receive treatment for a cut & leave the field to change into another top.

With Pollok down to 8 men it was now a case of Lok lining up along their 18 yard line and Talbot trying to break them down.

In the 73rd minute Shankland fed it out to Stafford on the right and he swept over a good cross that McGregor headed over his own bar. The corner was pulled back to McPherson who passed it straight back to Shankland who swung over a cross into the centre. McCracken went down in the 6-yard area appealing for a shove but the ref waved away the penalty shout.

The Bot support must have thought it wasn’t to be our day in the 74th minute when Longmuir produced a fantastic stop to prevent the equaliser. McCracken met Shankland’s corner from the left & did everything right only to see Lok’s keeper managed to keep his header out.

With 12 minutes remaining Talbot made their 2nd change with Graham Wilson coming on for Boylan.

In the 82nd minute Stafford pinged a cross into the centre which broke back to Graham Wilson 15 yards out but his shot at goal was blocked away.

With Pollok down to 8 it was nonstop pressure with Lok unable to have any out ball and every time they cleared it the ball coming straight back at them. Talbot were racking up the crosses and corners but Lok were withstanding the pressure.

In the 84th minute Talbot won a corner on the left that Shankland took quickly and played short into the feet of Graham Wilson. He squared it to Samson but once again a shot at goal was blocked away in the crowded 6-yard area.

Just when it appeared as though Talbot were going to be frustrated the Bot drew level in the 89th minute. Glasgow knocked a good ball over from the left and GRAHAM WILSON met it to flick it beyond Longmuir to make it 3-3.

The drama wasn’t over though. In the final minute a shy from the left was only partially cleared and came to Shankland at the edge of the area but he fired over the bar.

As the game entered injury time Talbot had another chance to take all 3 points. Shankland released Stafford on the overlap and he swung over a good cross that Samson headed over.

Deep into injury time Longmuir defied Talbot with two incredible saves. Firstly, he dived low to his left to keep out McCracken’s net bound header and moments later he managed to tip Aiden Wilson’s screamer from 18 yards over his crossbar to ensure Pollok held out for the draw.

A frustrating afternoon for Talbot who would gratefully have settled for a point when 2 down but will be disappointed that they couldn’t force a winner for all their pressure late on.

After a long stretch of away days it is back to Beechwood next Saturday as Talbot take on Hurlford in the league.

Pollok – Longmuir, Lyon, Sideserf, Wharton, Brownlie, Horne, Esplin, McGregor, S McCann, Forde, Mackenzie

Subs – Graham, Duff, Bradley, Grant, Grimshaw, Kroi, Lumsden

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Armstrong, Hyslop, Boyd, Boylan, Glasgow, Samson

Subs – Shankland, Graham Wilson, McDowall, Lyle, Robbie McCracken, Hewitt



Date Time Competition Season
October 2, 2021 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2021/22


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot213


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
9Bryan Boylan 12Forward0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
7Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
12Graham Wilson 9Forward1000
11Keir SamsonForward0000
14Mark Shankland 6Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
6Willie Boyd 14Midfielder0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0010
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
 Total 1010


Newlandsfield Park
16 Newlandsfield Rd, Glasgow, Glasgow City G43 2XU, UK


Ross Hardie

League Table