Darvel v Auchinleck Talbot



Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee, Media: Lee Conn.

Talbot gave it their all and came within a whisker of turning this semi-final around but ultimately fell just short, the damage having been done the week before.
There wasn’t much in the opening exchanges though Murphy did well out on Darvel’s left to float over a dangerous cross early doors but there was no one at the back post to take advantage.
The first shot at goal came in the 8th minute when Boyle fired wide of the left post from distance. J Moore had his name taken in the 19th minute for a needless challenge deep in the Talbot half.
The first goal was going to be crucial and it came Talbot’s way 21 mins in. AIDEN WILSON picked up the ball just inside the Darvel half and moved forward into space before blasting an unstoppable shot into the top corner to the delight of the travelling support.
Two minutes later Talbot forced a corner down the right and when Wardrope’s ball came across McAvoy got on the end of it but could only glance his header wide under pressure.
Talbot were having the best of it and on the half hour mark won a corner down the left. It was taken short and worked to Boyle at the edge of the box whose shot was blocked and went over the bar for a corner.
Darvel weren’t offering much threat, other than Murphy, and in the 36th minute their wide man managed to cut inside past McPherson into the area but Slooves was covering to make the clearance.
Two minutes later Abed went on a surging run forward and appeared to be bundled over by Sideserf but the ref waved play on. Darvel then broke upfield where Moore won a corner. The corner was overhit and went out to the left touchline where Wardrope was fractionally late on Sideserf – resulting in a booking for the Talbot man and Darvel free kick. When the free kick came in Wilson headed it clear at the near post before Talbot cleared their lines.
In the final minute of the half Darvel had a half chance. Gillies clearance went straight to Barbour 30 yards out and he moved forward before having a go but sliced his shot well wide of target.
Darvel pressed hard as the half moved into added time but Talbot withstood the pressure to go in a goal ahead at the break.
The hosts had to make an enforced change at the start of the 2nd half with Leishman unable to continue and A Wilson on in his place.
Talbot had the ball in the back of the net three minutes after the re-start but it was chalked off for offside. Schoneville’s cross was met by Glasgow beyond the far post and when he headed it down Abed turned it home inside the 6-yard box but the assistant’s flag cut short the celebrations.
Two minutes later Gillies swept a good cross into the back post which Sideserf managed to clear.
In the 53rd minute Schoneville played it into the feet of Glasgow down the left and he won the corner. The corner was taken short then crossed into the near post where Darvel eventually managed to clear after the ball failed to break Talbot’s way. Action now swept to the other end where a long ball down the left released J Moore who showed good pace to get into the area but fired his shot comfortably wide of the near post.
The Bot’s next attack saw Glasgow get to the bye line down the left and whip a tremendous ball across the face of goal which was just out of the reach of McAvoy.
In the 56th minute a ball chipped in off the right saw Glasgow get goal side of Syme. He went down under Syme’s challenge and Talbot appealed for a penalty but the ref wasn’t interested.
The home side now made a change with Cairns on for Walker.
Darvel didn’t have many chances on the night but came close in the 59th minute. Syme’s angled ball found Wilson out on the right and when he floated a ball across goal it was headed behind for the corner. When the corner came over Syme met it and his header came off the left hand post with Glavin reacting quickly to smother it.
With 67 mins gone Talbot made a double change with Langan & Boyd on for Abed & Wardrope
In the 73rd minute Schoneville drilled a low ball into the area that broke out into the path of Langan and his shot was well saved by Wilson who pushed it wide of the right hand post. When the corner came over Wilson looked shaky and a Darvel defender had to clear it from the goal line.
Talbot made a further change with quarter of an hour remaining with Smith on for Glasgow.
Two minutes later good work by Schoneville down the left ended with the full-back firing it low into the near post but Boyd just couldn’t get on the end of it.
Down the far end Barbour cut in off the right and squared it for Hutton who fired a low drive from 20 yards that Glavin smothered.
Talbot’s next attack nearly breached the Darvel defence. Langan burst forward before releasing it wide right to find McAvoy. He rolled a good low ball into the near post which Syme did well to clear.
The Bot now made their final change with Armstrong coming on for Gillies.
As the game moved into added time Talbot kept pressing. Darvel won a free kick down by the left corner flag, and as most teams would they opted to try and run the clock down. However, Talbot managed to win it back and countered through Armstrong who sent it out wide to Schoneville. He knocked it inside to Smith who squared it for Langan to hit from the edge of the area but his shot was blocked and spun through to the keeper.
Deep into added time Talbot came oh so close to taking the game to penalties. Schoneville raced up the left and cut the ball back from the bye line. It came to Langan 8 yards out and he tried to side-foot it home only for Wilson to make a crucial stop before Syme cleared.
Finally time ran out on Talbot and Darvel held out to the final whistle. A very good performance from the Bot who were in command for the most part but just couldn’t force that 2nd goal.
Next up for Talbot it’s back to league action when they host Gartcairn at Beechwood on Wednesday night.
Darvel – Leishman, Barbour, Bronsky, Syme, Sideserf, Hutton, Walker, Caldwell, Murphy, G Wilson, J Moore
Subs – Brown, Cairns, O’Halloran, C Moore, Aitken, Baird, A Wilson (gk)
Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McPherson, Schoneville, Slooves, Aiden Wilson, Boyle, Abed, Wardrope, McAvoy, Glasgow, Gillies
Subs – Smith, Boyd, Armstrong, Langan, Urquhart, Lennox, Henry (gk)



Date Time Competition Season
April 19, 2024 19:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot1


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
3Scott SchonevilleDefender0000
9Kyle McAvoyForward0000
6Ali BoyleMidfielder0000
4Neil SloovesDefender0000
2Neill McPhersonDefender0000
15Gareth Armstrong 11Midfielder0000
10Jamie Glasgow 12Forward0000
7Tarek Abed 14Midfielder0000
5Aiden WilsonDefender1000
12Ross Smith 10Forward0000
8Michael Wardrope 16Midfielder0000
14Connor Boyd 7Forward0000
16Ruaridh Langan 8Midfielder0000
11Luke Gillies 15Defender0000
19Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
17Ross UrquhartMidfielder0000
Nathan LennoxMidfielder0000
 Total 1000


Recreation Park
1A Irvinebank Rd, Darvel, East Ayrshire KA17 0HS, UK


Ryan Kennedy

League Table