Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot




Report: Murray Steele. Photography: Craig McGhee, Media: Lee Conn.

Talbot avenged last season’s Scottish cup exit with a well-deserved win over old rivals Cumnock at Townhead Park – knocking out the cup holders in front of a large & loud visiting contingent.

The Bot started the game positively and had the afternoon’s first chance in the 3rd minute. Thomson won a corner down the left which Wardrope delivered into the centre. Frye’s attempted headed clearance went straight up into the air and following a scramble inside the 6-yard area, Slooves lifted a shot over the bar.

Cumnock’s first chance came in the 6th minute when Veitch showed good pace down the left to get to the byline and cut it back into the area. Talbot cleared it but only out as far as Sewell who steered a half-volley well-wide from 20 yards.

A minute later Talbot had a decent chance to take the lead. McLennan failed to deal with a cross from the right and Thomson was able to nick in front of him and lay it back to Smith who drove over the bar from 10 yards out.

Talbot’s next attack again saw them go close. A quick counter saw Talbot shift it from left to right to find Glasgow in space and when his low centre came over Smith looked set to score but a Nock defender made a crucial challenge to deny him.

In the 16th minute McCracken lifted it down the centre where the Cumnock defence failed to head it clear. It came out to Wardrope 20 odd yards from goal and his dipping half-volley came close to breaking the deadlock.

Cumnock had a good chance of their own in the 22nd minute. McGaughey’s pace won Cumnock a corner down the left which was delivered beyond the back post. Frye headed it back across goal where Talbot managed to scramble it away but only as far as Veitch who crossed it to the back post for Buchanan whose header was held by Glavin.

Down the other end Glasgow tried his luck from 35 yards – firing it on target but straight at Barclay.

Talbot had a let off in the 29th minute when the ball came to Jamieson in space down the right of the penalty area. His shot took a slight deflection off Slooves and skimmed off the top of the crossbar.

The next chance also came Cumnock’s way when Veitch drilled a low effort on target from outside the area that Glavin held.

At the other end Glasgow was inches away from connecting with a dangerous cross from the left.

The opener came in the 35th minute and it went to the home side. Willett’s shimmy on the touchline fooled a couple of Bot defenders allowing him the space to pick out his cross to the near post where JAMIESON’s shot from 6 yards squeezed past Glavin who got a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out.

The goal deflated Talbot for a period and Cumnock looked content to sit on their lead. The Bot did have a half chance in the 43rd minute when Smith found Gillies out on the left and his cross to the near post was met by Smith but he couldn’t get his header on target. The half ended with Cumnock on the front foot – forcing a couple of corners – but Talbot rode out the pressure and went in at the break a goal down.

Tucker made a change during the interval with Langan on in place of Boyle.

Talbot started the 2nd half strongly. In the 48th minute Wardrope was racing through the centre when taken out by Buchanan. The ref allowed the advantage and Talbot broke down the left through Thomson who cut inside but fired well-wide of target. The ref then booked Buchanan for the earlier challenge.

Talbot were rewarded for their quick start in the 50th minute when they won penalty. McPherson climbed well to flick on a ball down the right into the path of Glasgow who was up-ended as he tried to get on the end of it and the ref pointed to the spot. ROSS SMITH took it and finished confidently – blasting it high inside the left post to make it 1-1.

In the 57th minute Talbot made their 2nd change with Boyd replacing Thomson.

The momentum was with Talbot and the Bot took the lead in the 62nd minute. A Talbot break saw Wardope carry the ball toward the box before finding Glasgow who ball shifted out left to Gillies whose low drive across goal was blocked by Barclay. Cumnock were unable to clear their lines and when it came to Smith 16 yards out with his back to goal he teed it back to MICHAEL WARDROPE who drilled a low shot inside the right hand post to put Talbot 2-1 ahead.

It was all Talbot now and the Bot’s next attack saw Glasgow on the left of the area sliding it wide to Wardrope whose low cross was well cut out by the defence.

Talbot grabbed their 3rd goal in the 69th minute. A Bot counter-attack found Glasgow down the left of the area. His shot was blocked by Barclay but the rebound fell for ROSS SMITH who coolly placed it home to extend Talbot’s lead.

Cumnock now made a flurry of substitutions with McGaughey and Buchanan leaving the field and Conn and McLaughlin coming on.

It was nearly game over in Talbot’s next attack. Gillies low cross was deflected by Sewell and went inches wide of Barclay’s right post with the keeper helpless.

The home side were thrown a lifeline in the 74th minute when they reduced the leeway. McLaughlin forced a corner down the right which the Bot defence could only clear to the edge of the area. It was worked out to McLaughlin in space on the left and his ball across the face was tucked home from 6 yards out by MCLENNAN.

Talbot had a great chance to regain their two goal cushion in their next attack. Wardrope slid a pass through the defence to find Smith on the right of the penalty area. He squared it across to Glasgow who looked set to score but his shot was blocked on its way to target by a defender with the keeper stranded.

In the 79th minute Langan had his name taken for ending a Cumnock counter-attack and a minute later Talbot made a further change with Boylan coming on for Smith.

Boyd then received a soft yellow card for an innocuous challenge.

The Bot’s next foray forward saw Wardrope lift a good ball over the defence trying to find Boyd down the left but Barclay read it and raced out his area to clear.

With 5 minutes remaining Talbot made their final change with Glasgow making way for Wilson.

Boylan nearly added his name to the scoresheet soon after. He cut in off the right and hammered a left foot drive just wide of the left post.

As the game moved into added time Jamieson had a half chance for the hosts. Talbot failed to clear a high ball down the centre and it broke to Jamieson 25 yards out who tried to lob it in but lifted it well-wide.

The home side had one final chance deep into added time when they won a corner down the left. It was delivered to the far post where it was headed wide of target and the ref blew up for full-time and the celebrations could begin in earnest.

A good afternoon’s work by Talbot who thoroughly merited their win and will be hoping this will kick-start the rest of the season. Next up for Talbot it is back to Beechwood where they host Arniston Rangers in the South Challenge cup.

Cumnock – Barclay, Sewell, Willett, McLennan, Ferry, Dickie, Buchanan, Frye, Jamieson, McGauchey, Veitch

Subs – McLaughlan, Carnwath, Conn, McKernon, Wilson, McLaughlin, Strain (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McCracken, Gillies, Slooves, McPherson, Wardrope, Boyle, Armstrong, Thomson, Smith, Glasgow

Subs – Boylan, Urquhart, Abed, Langan, Boyd, Wilson



Date Time Competition Season
October 7, 2023 14:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot3


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
15Aiden Wilson 11Defender0000
17Ryan KennedyForward0000
11Jamie Glasgow 15Forward0000
3Luke GilliesMidfielder0000
18Tarek AbedMidfielder0000
19Nathan LennoxMidfielder0000
12Connor Boyd 9Forward0010
20Ally ParkMidfielder0000
16Fraser McMillanDefender0000
21Scott SchonevilleDefender0000
8Michael WardropeMidfielder1000
7Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
5Neill McPhersonDefender0000
2Craig McCrackenDefender0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
20Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
14Bryan Boylan 10Forward0000
9Ewan Thomson 12Midfielder0000
15Ruaridh Langan 6Midfielder0010
4Neil SloovesMidfielder0000
10Ross Smith 14Midfielder2100
6Ali Boyle 15Midfielder0000
 Total 3120


Townhead Park
153-157 Townhead St, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18, UK


Keiran Trayner

League Table