Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot




Talbot kept their title hopes alive with a thrilling win over old rivals Cumnock with the large crowd certainly getting their money’s worth.

The first chance of the afternoon came Talbot’s way in the 6th minute. Graham Wilson flicked the ball into the path of Boylan who was upended just outside the penalty area. Wardrope took the free kick and his effort flew just over the crossbar.

The Bot’s next foray into the Nock half saw Stafford race up the wing before drilling a low ball across the penalty area that Samson dummied for Graham Wilson but the Nock defence did well to intercept.

Cumnock then had a good spell of pressure forcing a string of corners but without any end product.

In the 20th minute Cumnock again won a corner when McCracken turned Moore’s 1st time ball across the face of goal behind. When the corner came in Talbot failed to clear it and fell to Frye who thought he’d scored when he lashed a shot goalward but it cannoned off the underside of the bar and Talbot were able to scramble it behind for a corner. When the corner came over Fisher came and claimed it.

Action then switched to the other end where Samson got in behind down the left and cut the ball back to Boyle at the edge of the area. He had a chance to shoot but opted instead to thread a pass through to Aiden Wilson but it had too much on it and ran out for the goal kick.

The large travelling support were up in arms in the 34th minute when Talbot were denied what looked to be a stonewall penalty. Samson flicked the ball into the path of Graham Wilson who was bundled over from behind as he ran onto it but the referee waved away the appeals.

A minute later Aiden Wilson’s accurate diagonal pass found Boylan in space down the right. He drilled it first time into the centre where the defence cleared.

In the 41st minute a ball over the top found Moore in behind the defence. He looked offside but the flag stayed down and he raced into the penalty area where he took a slightly heavy touch and then went to the deck when confronted by Fisher in a vain attempt to win a penalty.

The first yellow card of the afternoon came in the 43rd minute when Graham Wilson was cautioned for a late challenge on Willet.

Right on the stroke of half-time Wardrope flighted an inch perfect pass over Willet’s head to find Boylan racing down the right side of the penalty area and his shot clipped the outside of the left post and the sides went in deadlocked at the interval.

Talbot came out flying at the start of the 2nd half and won a corner in the 48th minute when Graham Wilson’s ball across the face was met by Boylan and his header deflected behind. When the corner came over Graham Wilson powered a header on target that Barclay could only parry and it came to KIER SAMSON who tucked it low inside the left hand post to put Talbot one ahead.

Four minutes later Talbot doubled their lead. Samson rose well to head the ball into the path of Graham Wilson down the left and he crossed it over to find BRYAN BOYLAN in space who controlled it on his chest before blasting a left foot volley into the roof of the net.

Cumnock were down but not out and they were thrown a lifeline in the 56th minute when Talbot conceded a soft goal. A long shy from the right came off a Talbot head and sailed over to the far corner of the 6-yard box where FRYE slotted it home.

Tucker made his first change of the afternoon in the 63rd minute when Boyle limped off to be replaced by Park.

Cumnock levelled the match in the 68th minute. They won a corner down the left and when it was delivered to the far post SHARPE out-jumped Fisher to power a header home and make it 2-2.

The game was then held up for a bit due to some handbags at dawn argy bargy between the fans down by the corner flag. Eventually Cumnock’s stewards appeared and after order was restored play resumed.

Frye ought to have had his name taken for a late challenge on Wardrope but not only did he escape the booking the ref and his assistant managed to miss the foul altogether.

In the 77th minute Wardrope saw his shot from 19 yards deflected wide for a corner and this proved to be his last involvement of the afternoon as he made way for Taylor. When the corner came in Cumnock cleared it and promptly raced onto the counter-attack through Moore who was hauled down by Park who took one for the team and received a yellow card for his trouble.

The turning point of the game came in the 79th minute when Cumnock missed a glaring opportunity to take the lead. Sewell floated over a dangerous cross from the right that found Moore in space beyond the far post but with the goal gaping he headed wide of target.

Talbot now made a further change with Mason coming on for Boylan.

In the 88th minute Talbot came very close to regaining the lead. Taylor met a shy from the left and created the space for himself to fire off a shot from 18 yards that flew just the wrong side of the right hand post.

A minute later McCracken had his name taken for halting a Cumnock counter-attack.

As the game headed into added time Talbot won a free kick midway inside the Nock half for a foul on Graham Wilson. Healy pinged it over the defence and beyond the far post where Graham Wilson cushioned it back across for AARON MASON to steer a low left foot shot past Barclay and put Talbot 3-2 ahead.

There then followed a bizarre incident as the referee ran around aimlessly with a red card out but seemed confused as to who it was actually meant for and finally put it back into his pocket.

In the 96th minute Talbot put the game beyond doubt with a fourth goal. McCracken carried it out from the back before slipping the ball to AARON MASON who showed the defence a clean pair of heels racing from just inside the Nock half before sliding the ball past Barclay to make it 4-2.

A great away win for Talbot who are back at Beechwood next Saturday where they host Gartcairn in the West of Scotland cup quarter-final.

Cumnock Juniors – Barclay, Sewell, Willet, Ferry, McAusland, Dickie, Wilson, McLaughlin, Sharpe, Frye, Moore

Subs – Strain, Carnwath, Ross, McLean, Dolan, Boyd, Conn

Auchinleck Talbot – Fisher, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McCracken, McPherson, Boyle, Boylan, Wardrope, Samson, Graham Wilson, Healy

Subs – Taylor, Smith, Mason, Park, Ballantyne, Crawford



Date Time Competition Season
March 11, 2023 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2022/23


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot044


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
1Marc FisherGoalkeeper0000
6Ali Boyle 16Midfielder0000
16Ally Park 6Midfielder0010
8Graham WilsonForward0010
5Neill McPhersonDefender0000
4Craig McCrackenDefender0010
9Keir SamsonForward1010
10Bryan Boylan 15Forward1000
11Kieran HealyMidfielder0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
14Ross Taylor 7Midfielder0000
15Aaron Mason 10Midfielder2000
3Chris StaffordDefender0000
7Michael Wardrope 14Midfielder0000
 Total 4040


Townhead Park
153-157 Townhead St, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18, UK


Andy Gamble

League Table