Clydebank v Auchinleck Talbot



WONDER GOAL DENIES TALBOT A POINT. Report Murray Steele, Photography Craig McGhee, Media Lee Conn.

The Bankies edged out Talbot in a game of few clear cut chances – claiming all 3 points courtesy of a goal of the season contender.

Let’s get this game started

Talbot had the first effort on target after 10 minutes. Wardrope played it down the right to Thomson who laid it back to Abed. He whipped over a good 1st time cross that McAvoy met in the centre and his header was held by Donnelly.

Two minutes later Talbot had another effort on target when Boyle drilled a low shot on goal from 20 odd yards.

Clydebank’s first real chance came in the 16th minute. Gallacher had time to pick out a cross and his ball from the left saw Mulcahy climb above McPherson to steer a header on goal that went straight at Glavin.

Twenty four mins in Hodge was fortunate to escape the ref’s notebook when he caught Boyle late.

Four minutes later Kelly became the first player cautioned for a shirt tug to halt a Talbot break.

Talbot won a free kick in a good area in the 29th minute. Boyle played it into the feet of Thomson just outside the box who managed to turn Niven who sent him tumbling. Wardrope took the free kick and curled it just over the crossbar.

Tarek steady’s the ship

Glavin came to Talbot’s rescue in the 38th minute when a slide rule pass from the left found Mulcahy racing clear inside the area but Glavin was quickly off his line to block his low drive with his feet.

A minute later Talbot were nearly in down the other end. Boyle found Langan who slipped a pass through to Boyd on the left of the area but a defender got back to make the challenge and it broke through to the keeper.

In the last minute of the half Mulcahy did well out on the left to create space for himself and drilled it across the 6-yard area but there was no one to take advantage.

As the half moved into added time it looked like the sides would be going in goal less but in added time Clydebank were awarded a soft free kick near the left corner flag for Boyle’s challenge on Little. Gallacher lifted it into the centre where HODGE powered a header beyond Glavin to send Clydebank in a goal ahead at the interval.

Talbot started the 2nd half unchanged but Clydebank made a switch with Mackenzie on in place of Hodge.

The home side started the 2nd half brightly and had a half chance to extend their lead in the 48th minute. Mackenzie played it inside to Mulcahy who squared it to Johnstone who fired over the bar from 18 yards.

Kyle shrugs off a Bankies defender

In the 50th minute Abed paced away down the right for Talbot and swung a good cross into the area but there were no takers.

Talbot were all square in the 58th minute. Boyle did well, bursting forward down the left before sliding a perfect pass to find MICK WARDROPE on the right of the area and he hammered it back across goal and into the side-netting.

Unfortunately, Talbot’s joy was short-lived and the home side regained the lead in the 62nd minute. A long ball down the right was headed clear and came to GALLACHER in space 35 yards out who cut in on his left foot and hammered a shot high inside the left post.

A minute later Little was cautioned for clipping Boyle’s heels as he broke forward and Clydebank now made a double switch with Little & Kelly being replaced by Slattery & McGonigle.

In the 67th minute Wardrope played it to Boyd who got out of his feet and got his shot away from 18 yards but it was blocked by a defender.

Jamie tries to pick a pass

Talbot made their first change in the 72nd minute with Glasgow on in place of Thomson.

Clydebank now also made a further change with Graham on for Mulcahy.

With 10 minutes remaining Abed caught McGonigle and received a caution. Talbot now made a double change with Abed & Boyd making way for Schoneville & Smith.

In the 87th minute Clydebank came close to adding a 3rd to kill the game off. Gallacher’s in swinging corner from the right was headed clear and came out to Low on the edge of the area who volleyed it just wide of the left hand post.

In the closing stages Talbot won a free kick which Boyle floated beyond the far post. McPherson headed it back into the centre but there were no Bot shirts to take advantage, the defence cleared and Clydebank were able to see out added time to claim the victory.

Next up for Talbot it’s back to Beechwood where they host Beith next Saturday.

Neilly clears the danger

Clydebank – Donnelly, Hodge, Grant, Niven, McHugh, Johnstone, Gallacher, Low, Mulcahy, N Little, Kelly

Subs – Hughes, Mackenzie, C Little, Slattery, McMahon, McGonigle, Graham

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, Abed, Wilson, McPherson, Slooves, Langan, Boyle, Wardrope, Boyd, McAvoy, Thomson

Subs – Glasgow, Smith, Urquhart, Lennox, Gillies, Schoneville, Henry



Date Time Competition Season
January 13, 2024 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot1


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
17Ross UrquhartMidfielder0000
18Nathan LennoxMidfielder0000
10Kyle McAvoyForward0000
7Ali BoyleMidfielder0100
4Neil SloovesDefender0000
5Neill McPhersonDefender0000
19Gareth ArmstrongMidfielder0000
12Jamie Glasgow 11Forward0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
2Tarek Abed 15Midfielder0010
14Ross Smith 9Forward0000
11Ewan Thomson 12Forward0000
8Michael WardropeMidfielder1000
9Connor Boyd 14Forward0000
15Scott Schoneville 2Defender0000
6Ruaridh LanganMidfielder0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
 Total 1110


Holm Park
485a Glasgow Rd, Clydebank G81 1JP, UK


Euan Birch

League Table