Auchinleck Talbot v Kilbirnie Ladeside




Talbot couldn’t break down a stubborn Ladeside defence and had to settle for a share of the spoils in this goal less draw.
It was Talbot who made all the early running without really threatening until they were awarded a free kick in the 9th minute, 25 yards out, for a foul on Mason as be burst forward. Graham Wilson took it and fired a shot on target that Wilton did well to turn round his right hand post.
The resultant corner was played into the near post where it was flicked back into the area and Craig McCracken volleyed over from 10 yards.
Talbot’s next attack saw Graham Wilson sweep a dangerous cross in from the left toward Mason that the defence managed to head to safety.
The Bot got in behind the Ladeside defence in the 23rd minute when Boylan sent Robbie McCracken free down the right. He swung a cross over to the back post but again a Ladeside head managed to clear under pressure.
A minute later Leishman sent the ball up field where it was controlled by Glasgow who cut in off the left & drove forward before firing a low shot on target that flew straight at Wilton.
It was one-way traffic but Talbot couldn’t find the killer touch. In the 35th minute Armstrong slid a pass through to Robbie McCracken who whipped a great cross over to the far post that just eluded Glasgow.
In the closing seconds of the half Talbot were gifted an opportunity by a rare mistake from the visitors defence. Robbie McCracken’s pass up the right was left by the defender who thought it was running out for the goal kick only for Mason to nick in & steal it. He carried on toward goal & tried to pass it into the net from a tight angle but Wilton had his post covered and made the block and the sides went in level.
Kilbirnie made a change at the break with Sharpe replacing Frizzell up front.
The visitors had their 1st effort at goal in the 49th minute when McWaters let fly from 25 yards sending his effort over Leishman’s crossbar.
Glasgow came close to breaking the deadlock in the 54th minute when he jinked in off the left wing & raced to the edge of the area before drilling a shot inches over the bar.
Talbot made a double switch in the 62nd minute with Mason & Robbie McCracken making way for Samson & Shankland.
Kilbirnie hadn’t offered much going forward but did have a half chance in the 70th minute. Bamford’s ball from the left wing was met by Girvan but he was stretching to reach it & slid his effort well wide.
The visitors now made a further change with Pearson on for Bamford.
Talbot had a decent chance in the 76th minute when Kilbirnie failed to deal with a long ball down the centre. It broke to Samson who shoved it right to Boylan in space inside the area but his angled drive was smothered by Wilton.
A few minutes later Shankland did well down the right to force a corner. Before it could be taken Talbot made their final change with Hyslop on for Boylan.
When the corner came in Hyslop rose to head it on into a crowded goal mouth but Wilton gathered under pressure.
In the 81st minute Talbot came close to grabbing a goal. Armstrong slid a pass out right to find Glasgow in space and he was taken out by a defender. The ball broke to Shankland and the ref allowed advantage & his shot from 18 yards clipped the bar on the way over. The ref then booked Ladeside’s defender for the earlier foul.
With 6 minutes remaining Talbot won a free kick 30 yards out on the right when Glasgow’s burst forward was halted by a handball. Shankland delivered it to the far post where Craig McCracken steered a header off the right hand post and the subsequent rebound was blocked as well.
Talbot kept pushing and their next attack saw Samson’s long shy from the left arrow into the box. It was headed clear but only as far as Armstrong who sliced his shot well wide from 15 yards.
Two minutes from time Talbot had another effort on target. Stafford raced up the line and swung over a deep cross that Craig McCracken gathered & cut back into the path of Shankland who smacked a shot on target from 20 yards that flew straight at Wilton.
As the game headed into injury time Talbot kept pressing and Aiden Wilson’s shot from the left of the area was deflected away across goal. As it headed behind Glasgow appeared to be bundled over and for a moment it looked as though the assistant ref was signalling for a penalty but after the ref consulted with him it ended with a corner kick. The corner was helped on by Samson’s head but the defence managed to scramble clear and Ladeside held on for the point.
A frustrating night for Talbot who now move onto Saturday’s league encounter where they host Irvine Meadow at Beechwood.
Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Armstrong, Robbie McCracken, Graham Wilson, Glasgow, Boylan, Mason
Subs – Samson, Shankland, Boyd, Healy, Hyslop, McDowall, Hewitt
Kilbirnie Ladeside – Wilton, Girvan, Taylor, McGuinness, Murphy, Meechan, McWaters, Muir, Frizzell, Scullion, Bamford
Subs – Lightfoot, Pearson, Gallagher, Sharpe, Anderson



Date Time Competition Season
February 23, 2022 19:30 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2021/22


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot000
Kilbirnie Ladeside000

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Bryan Boylan 14Forward0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
6Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
8Graham WilsonForward0000
12Keir Samson 9Forward0000
14Mark Shankland 10Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
9Aaron Mason 12Midfielder0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
 Total 0000

Kilbirnie Ladeside

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Gary Handvidge

League Table