Auchinleck Talbot v Hurlford United


Talbot did it the hard way again as they gathered all 3 points at Beechwood against Hurlford despite missing a string of clear cut chances in the 2nd half.

It was Hurlford who settled first and the Bot had a let off in the 6th minute. Whittaker won a free kick out on the right touchline which was bent over to the far corner of the 6-yard box where Magee headed it against the right hand post. Hyslop was on hand to head the rebound behind for a corner.

Talbot’s first threat came in the 11th minute when Stafford did well down the right, carrying it forward before releasing Glasgow down the wing. He tried to cut it back into the path of Shankland but didn’t get enough on it and the defence were able to clear.

The home fans had a nervy moment two minutes later when Bell gathered the ball on the bye line & pulled it back to M McKenzie who hooked a shot at goal that was headed clear.

Leishman was called into action in the 17th minute when Wilson was allowed too much time & space 30 yards from goal & drilled a shot on target that skipped up off the surface on its way through but Leishman managed to push it wide of the right post.

Talbot were struggling at this stage and the visitors threatened again in the 21st minute. Wilson switched play out to the right where Whittaker drilled the ball low across the face towards Bell but he was beaten to it and the ball cleared.

Hurlford’s goalie hadn’t been asked any questions in the opening spell but he did produce a good stop in the 22nd minute. Hyslop squared the ball inside to Boyd who wasn’t closed down & let fly from 25 yards only to see McDonald push it wide of target.

On the half hour mark Lidington had his name taken for a trip on Glasgow.

The Bot support weren’t happy with the stand side linesman as he spent most of the 1st half with his flag in the air every time Talbot crossed the halfway line with numerous offside decisions going against Talbot.

Hurlford won a free kick out on the left in the 37th minute for Stafford’s challenge on M McKenzie. Wilson took it and his ball in was headed clear by McCracken but came straight back to him and he whipped over a dangerous cross that the defence did well to head clear.

In the 42nd minute Hurlford made a change with M McKenzie leaving the field to be replaced by Coogans.

Talbot ended the half on the front foot and won a free kick on the halfway line when Robertson breenged Glasgow over which also saw the centre half pick up a booking.

Right on half time Talbot won a free kick 30 yards out when Wilson fouled Glasgow. Shankland took it and got it up and over the wall but wide of the right post and the sides went in level at the break.

The 2nd half got off to a lively start and both sides received a caution a piece in the opening 5 minutes. Firstly, Boyd was cautioned for studs showing and then a minute later Magee picked up a yellow for a blatant shove resulting in a free kick 30 yards out on the left. Shankland went for goal but it wasn’t one of his better efforts and sailed harmlessly over.

Leishman turned provider in the 51st minute when he launched the ball down the right to find Hyslop breaking into space. He carried it forward before sliding it into the front post area where McDonald was quickly off his line to beat Samson to it.

The crucial breakthrough came in the 55th minute. Hyslop picked up on the right and slid a great pass down the line to find Boyd. He skimmed a low ball across the face in the fun zone between the defence and the keeper and MAGEE bundled it into his own net whilst trying to clear.

The goal energised Talbot and 4 minute later Glasgow skipped inside on the left of the area and tested the keeper with a low drive on target.

Talbot made their first change on the hour mark with Healy coming on for Boyd.

The Bot had a chance to double their lead in the 64th minute. McCracken lifted it up the right to find Samson racing clear and his early ball across the area came to Glasgow 12 yards out but he fired wide of McDonald’s right hand post.

In the 69th minute a ball over the top saw Samson just beaten to it with the defence forced to knock it behind for a corner. Shankland fired it over and Hylsop met it with a diving header that was deflected wide of the right post but not according to the officials who awarded a goal kick.

Next to have a go for Talbot was Shankland who cut in off the right on his left foot & fired for goal but McDonald made a good stop.

It should have been game over in the 74th minute. Shankland’s clever touch released Samson on the left and he squared it across to the far post where Healy looked set to score but he side-footed it wide of the post from 6 yards.

Hurlford had a lucky escape two minutes later. P McKenzie lost his footing inside the Bot half and Talbot were able to break quickly on the counter. There were 2 fouls in the build up with Robertson taking Samson out off the ball but the ref gave the advantage as it broke to Aiden Wilson on the left whose low drive was turned wide by McDonald. The referee could have reduced the visitors to 10 men for the fouls in the build-up but decided to take no further action.

Tucker now made two further changes with Samson & Glasgow making way for Boylan & Graham Wilson.

Boylan was barely on the pitch when he had a glorious chance to put Talbot 2 ahead. Leishman launched it down the centre where Magee slipped allowing Boylan to race onto it; unfortunately with only the keeper to beat he opted for power and lashed a half volley over the bar from 15 yards.

Six minutes from time Talbot came close once again. Shankland’s corner from the left caused chaos in the centre and the defence were only able to scramble it away as far as Aiden Wilson whose low drive from 15 yards was deflected just wide of target.

Talbot kept pushing and the next attack saw Graham Wilson release Boylan down the right and when his cross came over Shankland volleyed over the bar.

It had been all Talbot in the 2nd half but the Bot were given a scare in the 86th minute when Bell gathered the ball 25 yards out and hit a shot that dipped just over the crossbar.

A minute from time Talbot missed another clear opportunity to kill the game off. McCracken hit a great ball over the top of the defence to send Graham Wilson through one on one with the keeper but he opted to hit it early and McDonald blocked it as he advanced off his line.

A thoroughly deserved win for the Bot who recovered from an unconvincing 1st half to dominate the 2nd. Next up for Talbot it is back to Beechwood midweek where they host Darvel under the floodlights.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Armstrong, Boyd, Hyslop, Glasgow, Shankland, Samson

Subs – Boylan, Graham Wilson, McDowall, Robbie McCracken, Healy, Hewitt

Hurlford United – McDonald, Miller, Lidington, Magee, Robertson, Graham, P McKenzie, Wilson, Bell, M McKenzie, Whittaker

Subs – Coogans, McKnight, McIntyre, Frew, Walker, Burns


William Boyd gets an attack started early in the game.


Hurlford make sure the ball goes back to the ‘keeper before the incoming Samson gets to it first.


Aiden Wilson gets busted open, as Talbot keep on looking to draw first blood.


OH SO CLOSE FOR HURLFORD!!! The ‘Ford very nearly take an early lead but the woodwork prevents the ball from nestling into the back of the net.


Big Andy gathers the ball while under pressure.


Jamie Glasgow vents his frustration after losing possession.


Armstrong gets his point across to the ref, as he shouts for a free-kick.


Boyd goes racing up the park, as Talbot continue searching for the opening goal.


Both benches closely watch the action, as ‘Shankers’ tries to thread a pass through from the wing.


Keir Samson does his best to outpace his opponent.


From deep inside his own half, Big Neily skips past his man and races up the wing.


Boyd loudly claims for a free-kick, after he sees Glasgow being bundled over.


Jamie Glasgow ‘toes the line’ and makes sure he keeps possession.


McKenzie takes a fall, as he loses out to Glasgow in the challenge.


Samson feels the full force of this hefty challenge.


‘Pee-wee’ does brilliantly to still put the cross into the danger area but…


…Samson fails to get onto the end of it, as the ‘Ford ‘keeper gets to the ball first.


Wullie Boyd races into the box and fires a low cross into the box where…


…Hurlford can’t clear their lines and end up putting the ball into the back of their own net! 1-0.


It may have been an own goal but Jamie and Mark still race over to congratulate Boyd for his part in the goal.


Glasgow goes airborne in order to keep hold of the ball.


Dwayne Hyslop takes a sore one to the head while heading the ball back down the park.


Erm…Andy…I don’t think Chris Stafford’s head is the ball?


CLOSE!!! ‘Pee-wee’ can only watch his low headed chance go agonisingly wide of the post.


Both Dwayne and Craig know just how close that chance was.


Wilson goes very close to scoring, as his strike gets stopped by the feet of the ‘keeper.


Truthfully…cards on the table…I have no idea what Mark and Keir were shouting for here. I just think it’s a great wee pic!


Paul McKenzie roars out the orders to his team-mates.


McPherson gets stopped in his tracks by hard tackle from McKenzie.


It takes a brave man to stand up to an angry Neil McPherson.


The players try to calm down after a bit of ‘handbags’.


Boylan does brilliantly to skip past his opponent.


Boylan lets his feelings known to the linesman.


SO NEARLY A GOAL!!! Bryan Boylan is so close to meeting the cross but the ‘keeper manages to claw the ball away from him at the final second.


‘Shankers’ goes for the spectacular inside the box but he fails to find the back of the net.


‘Gee’ races in on goal and unleashes a shot but the strike fails to hit the target.


The final chance of the game falls to Shankland but his strike unfortunately sails over the bar.


Well…the current crop of Talbot players were certainly playing in the presence of a group of Talbot legends watching the action form the terrace.



Date Time Competition Season
October 9, 2021 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2021/22


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot011

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
12Bryan Boylan 11Forward0000
17Kieran Healy 7Midfielder0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
6Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
14Graham Wilson 9Forward0000
11Keir Samson 12Forward0000
10Mark ShanklandForward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
7Willie Boyd 17Midfielder0010
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
 Total 0010
Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Paul Timmons

League Table