Vale of Leven v Auchinleck Talbot




Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee, Media: : Lee Conn


Talbot made heavy weather of it but a 2nd half surge was enough to book their place in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Junior at the expense of Vale of Leven.

The first half started as it went on, scrappy, with the home side content to sit deep and look for long balls up the wings.

The first chance of the game came Talbot’s way in the 7th minute. A ball up the right sent Boyd racing clear down the flank. He had Smith in space in the centre but his final cross drifted too near the keeper.

In the 10th minute Boyle slid a good pass into the feet of Glasgow who carried on into the area and angled a ball across goal where the defender did well to clear it from the goal mouth with Smith waiting for the tap in.

A minute later Boyd cut the ball back into the path of Smith whose shot from 20 yards sailed over the bar.

Paterson had his name taken in the 12th minute for a late challenge on Wardrope.

Talbot’s next effort at goal came in the 14th minute when Langan drilled a low effort on target but it lacked the power to test the keeper.

The home side hadn’t offered much but were gifted a corner in the 17th minute when Abed’s back pass had a bit too much on it and Glavin couldn’t prevent it going behind. When the corner came in from the left Jackson got his head on it beyond the back post and headed wide of target.


Two minutes later the home side threatened again. This time Jackson met it on the right of the area and crossed it beyond the far post where Alexander met it on the volley. He fired it back across goal where it was cleared and Talbot then launched a swift counter with Glasgow releasing it in behind the defence to find Boyd racing clear but he blazed his shot over the bar.

In the 24th minute Boyle slipped a pass through to find Smith inside the area near the bye line. He tried to prod it past Currie but the keeper smothered his effort.

Talbot did have the ball in the back of the net in the 32nd minute but it was rightly ruled out for offside. Boyd turned his man and fired a low shot on target that the keeper spilled. Wardrope tucked the rebound home but was flagged offside.

Two minutes later Alexander became the 2nd Vale player cautioned when he received a yellow card for a shirt pull on Abed as he raced forward.

The opening goal came Talbot’s way in the 41st minute. Abed raced up the right and swung a cross into the centre where Boyd challenged for it. The ball broke loose and fell to JAMIE GLASGOW who fired it low past Currie to make it 1-0.

Right on the stroke of half-time the home side drew level. Langan conceded a free kick midway inside the Talbot half which Paterson floated toward the back post where it was headed back across goal and FURZE reacted quickest to bundle the ball past Glavin from close range to send the sides in all square.


Talbot started the 2nd half sluggishly, struggling to get out the bit against a stiff breeze that was favouring the home side.

The first chance of the 2nd period went Vale’s way. They won a free kick which Paterson lobbed into the area where Wilson headed it clear but it fell to Alexander who drilled it just wide of the right post from 20 yards.

Tucker made a double switch in the 57th minute with Glasgow & Smith making way for Boylan & McAvoy.

In the 63rd minute Ross received a yellow card when he clipped Wardrope’s heels as he burst forward. Wardrope took the resultant free kick and his effort hit the top of the wall and spun behind for the corner. When the corner came into the near post the defence managed to scramble it clear and it came out to Boyle who was closed down before he could get a shot away.

Talbot had a strong penalty appeal turned down in the 65th minute. Connolly conceded a free kick wide left for a foul on Boyle. Langan swept it over to the back post where it skipped off the turf and up onto a defender’s outstretched arm. It looked a stonewall hand ball but the officials waved play on.


The Bot came close to regaining the lead in the 67th minute. Boyd’s cut back from the left was met by Wardrope whose low drive hit the base of the left hand post then the keeper before going behind for the corner.

With 20 minutes remaining the home side made a double change with McGeachy & Hynes on for Furze & Alexander.

The subs had no time to take a touch before Talbot moved in front. Boyd met a ball up the left and laid it inside to KYLE MCAVOY who fired it low and early inside the right post to put Talbot 2-1 ahead.

The next goal was going to be pivotal and Talbot grabbed it in the 74th minute to effectively kill the tie off. Schoneville won a free kick wide on the left which Wardrope swung into the centre. Currie punched it clear and it came out to the edge of the area where Schoneville met it on the half-volley. His deflected shot flew on target where Currie saved it only to drop it at the feet of BRYAN BOYLAN who swept the rebound home to make it 3-1.

Talbot now made further changes with Langan & Boyd being replaced by Urquhart & Thomson.

In the 81st minute Thomson’s pull back from the right of the area found Urquhart in the centre. He was challenged and the ball broke to Boylan who with his back to goal went for an overhead kick that looped just over the bar.

Schoneville became the first Talbot player booked when he was cautioned for a late challenge on Hynes.

The next effort at goal came in the 84th minute. Wardrope switched play from left to right to find Boyle who in turn fed it into Thomson whose low drive was held by Currie.


Down the other end Talbot then conceded a cheap corner kick down the right that could have proved costly. When it came in Glavin punched it clear of the area but Paterson played it first time wide right to find McGeachy in space and when his cross came over Hynes somehow headed over the bar when it looked easier to score.

Talbot now made their final change with Lennox coming on for Wardrope.

In the 86th minute Talbot wrapped it up with a 4th goal. Thomson laid the ball off into the path of McAvoy who raced through one on one with the keeper. Currie did well to block his effort but NATHAN LENNOX had followed up and coolly side-footed the rebound inside the left post.

Two minutes from time Boylan had a chance to extend Talbot’s lead when the ball fell to him inside the 6-yard box. He controlled it on his chest and went to volley it home but a defender got a touch to put it over the bar. When Lennox’s corner came into the back post McAvoy met it and powered a header on target that Currie held.

The home side had a chance for a late consolation when McGeachy met a low cross from the right but he sent it wide of target.


With the light failing the last chance went Talbot’s way deep into stoppage time. A good passing move down the right saw Talbot work it into the feet of Abed inside the area and he angled a low drive on target that Currie held inside his left post.

Talbot weren’t at their best but got the job done and now have a week off to enjoy the Christmas holidays before heading to Darvel on Saturday 30th December.

Vale of Leven – Currie, Connolly, Griffen, Gallagher, Ross, Paterson, Jackson, Cameron, Thackrey, Furze, Alexander

Subs – McGeachy, Hynes, McLean, M Connolly, L Currie, Johston, Morris, McMurray

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McPherson, Schoneville, Abed, Wilson, Boyle, Langan, Wardrope, Boyd, Smith, Glasgow

Subs – McAvoy, Boylan, Thomson, Urquhart, Lennox, Armstrong, Henry



Date Time Competition Season
December 16, 2023 13:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2023/24


Vale of Leven1
Auchinleck Talbot4

Vale of Leven

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
14Ross Urquhart 7Midfielder0000
6Ali BoyleMidfielder0000
14Kyle McAvoy 11Forward1000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
11Jamie Glasgow 14Forward1000
12Bryan Boylan 10Forward1000
5Aiden WilsonDefender0000
2Tarek AbedMidfielder0000
10Ross Smith 12Forward0000
16Ewan Thomson 9Forward0000
8Michael Wardrope 17Midfielder0000
17Nathan Lennox 8Midfielder1000
9Connor Boyd 16Forward0100
3Scott SchonevilleDefender0010
7Ruaridh Langan 14Midfielder0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
 Total 4110


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Jamie Wilkie

League Table