Lochee United v Auchinleck Talbot




Talbot have a knack for finding their A game on the big occasions and so it proved again as the Bot conjured up a 2-0 away win to power past Lochee and book their place in the Scottish cup final.
The large crowd was basking in the sunshine and had extra time to enjoy the warm weather as kick off was delayed to allow late comers entry into Thomson Park.
When the game did kick off Talbot took the initiative from the off with the home side content to sit deep & look to hit Talbot on the break.
The opening exchanges were frantic, with every ball being fiercely contested, but few clear cut chances being created.
Talbot fell foul of the referee twice in the opening quarter hour, firstly White receiving a caution for a shirt tug on Deasley & then Stephen Wilson receiving a yellow card for a tackle on Kirk on the touchline.
Having set out his stall with two early cards it was no surprise when a 3rd yellow card was waved in the 18th minute, this time it was Lochee’s Webster who had his name taken for a late challenge on Pope.
In the 23rd minute the ref levelled it up at 2 bookings a piece when he cautioned Smith for tripping Glasgow. Pope took the free kick & flighted the ball to the far post where Hyslop climbed to head it for goal, forcing Fotheringham to tip it over the bar.
The next effort at goal came in the 25th minute. McIlroy gathered out on the left wing & his low cut back came out to Stephen Wilson who fired a low drive wide of target.
Talbot should have been a man up in the 31st minute. Deasley chased a long ball over the top but was beaten to it as Leishman came out to gather just inside the area. Deasley went in with studs showing & caught Leishman in the midriff as he took the ball but to the disbelief of the visiting support the referee only booked him.
It was attack playing defence as Talbot pegged Lochee back & Talbot’s next chance came in the 35th minute when Lyle made the bye line & swept a deep cross to the far post where it glanced off the top of Graham Wilson’s head & over the bar.
Talbot’s next move saw Hylsop lay the ball out to Stephen Wilson on the right & his cross just flew over the head of Graham Wilson at the back post.
Next to show for Talbot was Glasgow who went on a mazy run inside the Lochee half before sending it out wide to release Stephen Wilson. He raced to the bye line & tried to cut it back for McIlroy but Fotheringham came off his line to cut it out.
The Lochee goal led a charmed life in the closing 5 minutes of the half as Talbot pressed hard for the opening goal. Lunan came close to putting the ball in his own net when he nodded Glasgow’s left wing cross just over his own bar in the 40th minute. When Glasgow’s corner came over from the right Hyslop powered a header on target that Fotheringham did well to touch over the bar.
When the next corner came in it broke to Hyslop on the left of the area & he was desperately unlucky to see his net bound effort blocked in the goal mouth by a defender. The ball pinged back & forth before breaking to Lyle in space 15 yards out but he shanked his effort high & wide.
Stephen Wilson then went on a lung bursting run surging past 3 Lochee players into the box but he couldn’t find the final ball.
On the stroke of half-time Talbot had a golden opportunity to level the tie. Graham Wilson’s reverse ball sent Pope free in the box & when his cut back came to Glasgow he looked favourite to score but he leant back as he hit it & lifted his shot over from 12 yards and so the sides went in goal less at the interval.
Talbot started the 2nd half as they’d finished the 1st, on the front foot, and creating chances.
In the 47th minute Graham Wilson headed the ball down into the path of Glasgow who burst into the area but blazed his shot over the bar.
McIlroy then came close to opening the scoring in the 50th minute. Lyle pinged a ball over the defence which McIlroy glanced goal ward off the back of his head. It had Fotheringham beaten but dropped just over the bar to land on the top of the net.
A minute later Talbot passed up a great chance to score. Pope whipped a great cross over from the left to find Harvey free in the centre but he glanced his header wide of the far post.
It was all out attack with Lochee hanging on by a fingernail. Twice in as many minutes Glasgow sped past McNally & crossed into the box. The 1st time his ball was easily cut out but his 2nd cross had the defence at full stretch, Lunan doing well to head it clear.
The pressure was telling & McComiskie had his name taken on the hour mark.
Talbot kept asking questions & in the 61st minute McIlroy was nearly through. A ball down the centre was headed past his own keeper by Lunan & McIlroy tried to get to the loose ball only to be pulled up for a shove, although it looked like 2 Lochee defenders had blundered into one another.
It was getting to the stage where the Bot faithful were beginning to wonder if it was going to be one of those days & those doubts would only have grown in the 62nd minute when once again the Lochee goal survived a major scare. Graham Wilson met a ball in the centre 6 yards out with his back to goal & laid it back to McIlroy. His low strike was blocked by a defender 7 spun out right to Glasgow who was closed down before he could get his shot away.
Having completely dominated Talbot could have found themselves a goal down in the 65th minute. In a rare attack, Deasley got away down the right & slung a dangerous low cross into the near post which McPherson knocked just wide of the post.
Pope became the latest name in the ref’s notebook when he was cautioned in the 68th minute for a professional foul to halt Deasley’s progress.
Talbot’s next effort at goal came in the 70th minute. McIlroy’s headed the ball on into the path of Hyslop who did well to adjust his feet to direct a volley on goal that flew straight at Fotheringham.
Deasley, who ought to have walked for his assault on Leishman, escaped a stick on 2nd yellow card in the 71st minute. He crumpled in the box with no one near him looking for a penalty but the ref failed to caution him for simulation.
Tucker now made a change with Shankland coming on for Graham Wilson.
Leishman gave his opposite number a scare in the 72nd minute when he launched a long ball down the centre. The bounce of the ball initially beat Fotheringham & it looked like it might go straight in but the keeper recovered well to gather at the 2nd attempt.
Talbot finally got the reward for their play merited in the 76th minute when they took the lead. Glasgow gathered the ball out on the left & curled a cross over into the centre where DWAYNE HYSLOP bulleted a header past Fotheringham to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.
The celebrations had barely died down when Talbot doubled their advantage. Shankland hoisted a cross over to the back post where Kirk headed it behind for the corner out on the right. Shankland whipped the corner across the 6-yard area where ROSS HARVEY stretched out a foot to direct it inside the right post to put Talbot 2-0 in front.
Lochee tried to respond and they won a free kick out on the left when Lyle pulled Lawson back with Talbot’s captain receiving a caution for the offence. The free kick was hit deep beyond the far post where Kirk headed it back across goal. The ball was partially cleared but came out to McComiskie at the edge of the area who fired well over the bar under pressure.
With two minutes remaining Talbot threatened to nab a 3rd on the counter-attack to put the tie beyond any doubt. Glasgow paced away down the right & squared it across the area where Shankland was waiting but Cameron made a crucial interception; stretching out a leg to turn it behind for the corner.
Talbot saw out the closing stages without any problems & the final whistle was greeted by a huge cheer from the large travelling support who gave great backing throughout.
A great win for Talbot who will face Hurlford in an all Ayrshire clash in the Junior cup final. Now, Talbot will face a hectic fixture schedule as the midweek games arrive thick & fast, starting with Wednesday night’s trip to Ardeer in the Ayrshire cup.

Lochee United – Fotheringham, Webster, Kirk, Lunan, Cameron, McNally, Lawson, Ritchie, McComiskie, Smith, Deasley

Subs – Davie, Stewart, Birse, Reid, Millar

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, Stephen Wilson, White, Hyslop, McIlroy, Graham Wilson, Glasgow

Subs – Shankland, McCracken, Armstrong, Thomson, Hewitt

Read more:

Photographs by Paul Flynn.



Date Time Competition Season
April 21, 2018 14:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2017/18


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Lochee United000
Auchinleck Talbot022

Lochee United

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
9Graham Wilson 12Forward0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
12Mark Shankland 9Forward0000
 Total 0000



League Table