Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok




Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee, Madison Taylor (Photo 2). Media: Lee Conn.

Talbot’s reign as West of Scotland cup holders ended at a blustery Beechwood as they lost a penalty shoot-out to Pollok.

It was clear from the outset that the conditions were going to play a part and Talbot had the strong wind at their backs in the 1st half as they shot toward the Beechwood Road end.

The first chance of the game came in the 3rd minute when Boyle fired from distance forcing Longmuir to turn it round his left hand post.

Two minutes later Glasgow fed it wide to Gillies who fired a cross into the near post which Longmuir gathered.

Pollok had a chance to take the lead in the 6th minute. A free kick was hoisted into the Talbot box where Forde challenged Wilson in the air. The ball broke loose and came back to Docherty who pulled his shot wide.

In the 11th minute route one football nearly undid Talbot. Longmuir sent it down the centre where Forde won the flick on to send Docherty racing through on goal. He took it wide of Glavin and tried to pass it into the net but McPherson had tracked back and cleared it behind for the corner.

With quarter of an hour gone McAvoy forced a corner down the left. Glasgow whipped it beyond the far post where McAvoy headed it back across goal. It came across to Slooves who headed it back across again. The defence partially cleared it and it came out to Boyle at the edge whose half-volley went straight at Longmuir.

Schoneville had his name taken in the 20th minute when he caught Docherty out on the touchline. Mullen took the free kick and whipped over a good ball that hit off Burns and ran through to Glavin.

The visitors moved ahead in the 22nd minute. A cross from the right saw Main beat Slooves in the air and his knock down fell for DOCHERTY who steered a low shot past Glavin.

Pollok almost caught Talbot out again in the 29th minute. They countered after a Talbot corner and the ball was played out to Docherty on the left. He cut inside but his shot was blocked.

In the 34th minute Talbot won a free kick 35 yards out after McPherson was fouled. Glasgow delivered a good ball into the area where Burns stretched to clear it over his own bar. When the corner was fired in low to the near post the Lok defence couldn’t clear their lines but Talbot were unable to get on it and Pollok eventually got it clear.

The Bot’s next attack saw McAvoy do well out on the right before sending it inside to find Boyle. He fired it across to find Glasgow on the left of the area and his shot was deflected behind for the corner. Glasgow went for the in swinger and nearly scored direct from the corner but Forrester managed to head it off the line.

A minute later Talbot won a free kick out on the right for a foul on McPherson. Before it could be taken there was a clash between McPherson & McGregor just outside the area. When the dust settled the ref booked McPherson & Pollok’s Main.

In the 40th minute McAvoy got to the bye line down the left and pulled it back toward Gillies but a defender managed to put it behind for the corner. Glasgow again bent it in under the crossbar but this time Longmuir did well to punch it clear.

Talbot pressed hard for the remainder of the half but had nothing to show for it other than a few corners won. In the last action of the half Boyd got to the bye line down the right and pulled a cross back for Glasgow who headed over the bar and Talbot trooped in a goal behind at the break.

Whatever the management said during the interval did the trick and Talbot made the perfect start to the 2nd half – levelling within a minute. Boyd drilled it across the face of goal where KYLE MCAVOY turned it home from close range.

In the 49th minute Talbot broke down the left where Glasgow sent it on to Gillies whose ball into the penalty area was turned behind for the corner. When the corner came over Armstrong met it and headed on target where it was safely held by Longmuir.

It was then Talbot’s turn to defend a couple of wind assisted in swinging corners which the defence did well. From the 2nd corner Talbot sprung onto the counter through Glasgow. He was cynically taken out by Mullen but the ref gave a good advantage allowing Gillies to carry on forward. He fed it on to McAvoy whose pass sent Boyd clean through on goal. He took it wide of Longmuir but with the goal gaping fired it over the crossbar. The referee then booked Mullen for the earlier foul.

In the 54th minute McAvoy tried his luck from 20+ yards and forced a save from Longmuir who had to touch it over the bar. When the corner came over Armstrong met it and his header was brilliantly saved by Longmuir who kept it out at his left hand post.

Talbot weren’t to be denied though and within a minute moved in front. Glasgow played it on to Schoneville down the left and his low ball into the near post saw KYLE MCAVOY nick in front of Forrester to turn it home.

In the 58th minute Burns received a caution for a foul on Armstrong just inside the Lok half. The free kick was floated into the area where Mullen panicked and put it behind for the corner. Glasgow dinked the corner into the middle where it just cleared the head of Gillies before being gathered by Longmuir.

Talbot were playing well on the break and did so again in the 62nd minute. Mullen’s low shot was blocked and the Bot broke forward through McAvoy who was body checked by Forrester on halfway – resulting in a booking for the Lok centre-half.

Three minutes later Forrester was heading to the clubhouse early when he caught Gillies late and was shown a 2nd yellow card.

Talbot now made a change with Langan on for Boyle.

In the 66th minute Schoneville whipped a great ball across goal to the back post but no one could get on the end of it.

Three minutes later Pollok won a free kick in a dangerous area. Main cut in off the left and won the free kick off Boyd who was booked for the challenge. Forde took it but failed to make the most of it – firing well over the bar.

Pollok now made a double substitution with Duncanson & Henry replaced by Nelson & Gallacher.

Glavin was called into action in the 71st minute when Faulds shot from 25 yards. Glavin got down low to make the stop and the defence swept it behind for a corner.

In the 77th minute Talbot made a double switch with Abed & Wardrope on for Gillies and Glasgow.

A minute later Pollok drew level. Faulds fired a low drive from distance that was blocked inside the area where it fell to MAIN who sent a left-footed shot inside the right post.

Talbot nearly responded immediately as McAvoy burst through the defence into the right of the area but his shot flew just wide and into the side-netting.

Talbot completed their changes in the 81st minute with Smith & Urquhart on for Boyd & Armstrong.

In the 84th minute Abed surged forward before finding Wardrope out on the left. He cut in and curled a dangerous cross into the centre that was slashed behind for a corner kick.

In the closing stages Talbot were wobbling and Faulds had a half chance when Schoneville failed to clear his lines but fired over the bar.

With 2 minutes remaining Gallacher had a late chance to win it. A ball over the top found him in behind down the left but his shot across goal went wide of the far post.

Deep into injury time Talbot came close to snatching a late winner. Smith burst forward into the box before sending it to his right to find McAvoy whose low drive was blocked by Longmuir’s legs and so with the game deadlocked it went to penalties.

Pollok scored first through Mullen before Wardrope levelled for Talbot. Gallacher restored Pollok’s advantage with Smith next up for Talbot. Smith’s first effort was comfortably saved by Longmuir but as the ball had moved in the wind on his approach the ref ordered a retake but Smith’s 2nd effort was also easily saved.

McGregor was next up and he made no mistake to put Pollok 3-1 ahead. McAvoy slotted his pen inside the right post to pull it back to 3-2 and Talbot were then given a glimmer of hope when Forde ballooned his effort over the bar; however Longmuir guessed correctly and got down to his right to save Schoneville’s penalty and Main then scored from the spot to seal the win for Pollok.

A disappointing result for Talbot but there’s no time to dwell on it as the Bot are back in semi-final action this coming Friday when they host Darvel in the first of a double header in the Junior cup.

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McPherson, Schoneville, Slooves, Wilson, Armstrong, Boyle, McAvoy, Boyd, Glasgow, Gillies

Subs – Smith, Langan, Wardrope, Abed, Urquhart, Henry (gk)

Pollok – Longmuir, Mullen, Duncanson, Forrester, Burns, Faulds, McGregor, Henry, Forde, Docherty, Main

Subs – Duff, Maley, Lindsay, Nelson, McKinstray, Gallacher, Fry (gk)



Date Time Competition Season
April 6, 2024 14:00 Indigo Comms WOSL Cup 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot2

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
5Aiden WilsonDefender0000
16Ross Urquhart 6Midfielder0000
8Kyle McAvoyForward2000
7Ali Boyle 12Midfielder0000
4Neil SloovesDefender0000
2Neill McPhersonDefender0010
6Gareth Armstrong 16Midfielder0010
10Jamie Glasgow 12Forward0000
15Tarek Abed 11Midfielder0000
14Ross Smith 9Forward0000
12Michael Wardrope 10Midfielder0000
9Connor Boyd 14Forward0110
3Scott SchonevilleDefender0110
12Ruaridh Langan 7Midfielder0000
11Luke Gillies 15Defender0000
19Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
20Ryan KennedyForward0000
 Total 2240


Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Connor Ashwood

League Table