Kilwinning Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot




Talbot recovered from Saturday’s disappointment to record a hard fought & well deserved win away at Kilwinning in the last competitive match at Abbey Park.
It felt more like mid-winter than May & Talbot had to weather the storm early on as a wind assisted Buffs side pushed Talbot back.
Leishman had to be on his toes in the 4th minute when a long ball in behind McPherson was chased down by Curragh but Leishman read it & was quickly off his line to beat him to the ball.
The home side blew a great chance to take the lead in the 7th minute. When a cross came over from the left Lyle sliced his clearance straight to Fleming 12 yards out but he ballooned his shot way over the bar.
Leishman took a knock in the 10th min when caught by Fleming as he cleared from the edge of the area but fortunately he was ok after treatment.
Talbot were struggling to make headway against the breeze and it took until the 21st minute before the Bot put together a threatening attack. Stephen Wilson latched onto a weak clearance & fed it to Samson on the right and his driven ball across the face of goal was well cleared by Syme.
The home side received two bookings in quick succession in the 25th minute. McCloskey was cautioned for a late tackle on Stephen Wilson and then Syme was shown a yellow for dissent. Glasgow took the set piece & aimed it beyond the far post where Hyslop climbed to head it back across goal but it floated to Strain at his right post.
A simple move nearly paid off for Talbot in the 28th minute. Leishman bowled the ball out to Glasgow on the left & he chipped it up the wing to find Samson outside the area. He cut in past Whyte & drilled a low shot on target but Strain was right behind it.
Kilwinning had faded after their strong opening but they were keeping the referee busy with their ill discipline and Fleming received a yellow card for persistent fouling in the 39th minute when he clipped Stephen Wilson’s heels as he broke down the right. Boylan then joined him in the book for dissent. This proved to be an expensive foul for the Buffs as Glasgow whipped in a great delivery from the set piece & ROSS HARVEY met it a few yards out to glance a header home to send Talbot in a goal ahead at the interval.
Talbot started the 2nd half in fine fettle and had a decent opportunity to double their lead within two minutes of the re-start. Armstrong challenged for a loose ball outside the penalty box & and it broke to Graham Wilson. He slid a pass through to find Glasgow in space on the left of the area & he fired it low across goal but wide of Strain’s left post.
It was now Talbot making the running & the Bot had another chance after 51 minutes. A ball from the left came to Stephen Wilson just outside the area & he took a good 1st touch before drilling a shot on target that flew straight at Strain.
A minute later Talbot were back on the attack. A Bot free kick midway inside the Buffs half was angled out to the right where Samson controlled it before flashing a cross cum shot across goal.
Kilwinning were struggling & frustration got the better of Monti who picked up a caution for a niggly foul on Armstrong.
The Wilson brothers combined in the 58th minute in Talbot’s next attack. Stephen Wilson lifted a ball down the right over the defence to send Graham through on goal. He blasted a shot from 15 yards that Strain did well to parry away.
Maitland became the umpteenth Buffs player to be booked when he took umbrage at the Bot’s support vocal view of his Lazarus like recovery and paid the price for squaring up to the support.
Whyte produced a perfectly timed tackle in the 69th minute to prevent Glasgow bursting clean through the defence just as it looked like he was getting on the end of Graham Wilson’s flick.
Next to have a go for Talbot was Samson who out-paced Whyte before firing in a shot from a tight angle that Strain turned behind for a corner.
It was all Talbot and the Buffs had a lucky escape in the 74th minute. Harvey’s ball over the top caught out the defence & as Strain rushed out Samson beat him to it. He knocked it past the keeper but the ball ran away from him & by the time he gathered it near the bye line the chance was gone.
Tucker now made his first change with Shankland coming on for Glasgow.
Shankland was involved soon after joining the fray; whipping over a dangerous cross from the left that Maitland was forced to head behind. Shankland took the corner & went for an in swinger that just cleared the bar & ended up on the roof of the net.
With 7 mins remaining Talbot made a further change with Kemp coming on for Samson.
It’s always nerve wracking when there’s only a goal in it but in truth Talbot saw the game out confidently keeping the ball in the Buffs half for most of the closing stages. As the game moved into injury time Monti had a lucky escape when he cut in off the left and blatantly dived but although he was already on a booking the ref stuck to awarding Talbot the free kick. With seconds remaining McDowall came on for Graham Wilson but didn’t have a chance to touch the ball before the final whistle.
A very good away win for Talbot who now return to Beechwood where they face Largs Thistle this Saturday in a dress rehearsal for the Junior Cup final.

Kilwinning Rangers – Strain, Whyte, McCloskey, Pettigrew, Syme, Fleming, Monti, Maitland, Curragh, Lewis, Boylan

Subs – Hogarth, Grier, Wilson, Nesbit

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Harvey, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Hyslop, Stephen Wilson, Graham Wilson, Samson, Glasgow

Subs – McIlroy, Shankland, McDowall, Kemp, White


Date Time Season
May 8, 2019 19:00 2018/19


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Kilwinning Rangers000
Auchinleck Talbot101

Kilwinning Rangers

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Keir Samson 14Forward0010
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
12Mark Shankland 11Forward0000
9Graham Wilson 15Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
6Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
 Total 0010

League Table