Hill O’ Beath v Auchinleck Talbot



Photographs by Paul Flynn.


Talbot fans of a certain age could have been forgiven for thinking the omens weren’t good for this Scottish tie as the last time Talbot travelled through to Keirs Park in blustery conditions it didn’t end well. This time however was a different story as Talbot bested their opponents & the elements to ease to a 2-0 win.
With the wind at their backs Talbot pushed the hosts back right from the off, with the Haws finding it difficult to get out of their half. The home defence was stretched as early as the 4th minute with Connors heading Lyle’s dangerous cross clear in the centre. Soon after, Talbot had their 1st effort on target when Glasgow met Hyslop’s cross but steered his header straight at Hall.
Stephen Wilson was unfortunate not to open the scoring in the 8th minute. A free kick was taken short & knocked back to Wilson whose curling shot had the keeper well beaten only to cannon off the woodwork.
The pressure told & a minute later Talbot took the lead. G Wilson fed the ball out to JAMIE GLASGOW on the right of the area & he took full advantage of the time & space to drill a low shot past Hall into the opposite corner.
The Haws didn’t have time to settle before Talbot doubled their advantage in the 11th minute. Shankland scampered down the wing before firing it across the face of goal where GRAHAM WILSON bundled it home at the back post.
Talbot were well in control & nearly added to their lead in the 18th minute. Hay’s attempted clearance was caught by the wind & blown back toward his own goal where G Wilson latched onto it & volleyed just wide of target from 18 yards.
The home side offered their 1st threat of the afternoon in the 21st minute. A long throw from the right was flicked across goal but there were no takers. Wright gathered it out on the left & swung a cross into the box which Watt headed wide of target.
Hill of Beath had an effort on target in the 25th minute. Harvey didn’t get much distance on a headed clearance & it came out to Schiavone who fired a low drive on goal which Leishman held.
The 1st booking of the afternoon came a minute later when HOB’s Leishman was cautioned for a foul on Graham Wilson.
A third goal would have ended the game as a contest & Talbot came close to grabbing it in the 33rd minute. White did well down the right & slung a cross into the box that the defence struggled to clear. It came out to Shankland on the left & he curled over a ball that Hyslop just failed to connect with in front of goal.
Wright became the 2nd Hill of Beath player booked when cautioned for a late challenge in midfield.
Talbot almost made the hosts pay from the resultant free kick with Pope’s delivery finding the head of Hyslop. He headed it back down to Glasgow whose 1st time effort flew just over the bar.
There hadn’t been too many close calls around the Talbot box but the hosts did come close in the 37th minute. Watt managed to turn McPherson just outside the box & his shot took a nick off McPherson & deflected just wide of Leishman’s left post. When the corner came over Dair met it & directed it on target but Leishman was well positioned to clutch it high inside his left hand post.
In the closing stages of the half Talbot twice came close to adding to their lead. Firstly, Shankland left Leishman in his wake before sliding the ball into the near post where Stephen Wilson was just beaten to it by Connors who stretched to knock it behind.
In the final minute of the half Graham Wilson raced clear down the left & drove a low ball across the face of goal which Stephen Wilson just couldn’t reach at the far post & so the sides went in separated by Talbot’s two early strikes.
The 2nd half was only 3 minutes old when Hyslop became the 1st Talbot player booked; cautioned for a late challenge on Grierson.
The referee made the wrong call in the 53rd minute. Under pressure, Dair slid the ball back to his keeper who picked it up, but the ref ignored Talbot’s appeals for an indirect free kick.
Even playing into the stiff breeze Talbot were having the best of it & carrying more of a goal threat. Hall came to his side’s rescue in the 54th minute when Graham Wilson got free down the right & carried it forward before drilling a powerful shot on target that the keeper held at the 2nd attempt.
Two minutes later the keeper produced a top class save to defy Shankland. A shy from the left bounced its way to Shankland outside the area & his half volley looked destined for the net til Hall dived full length to turn it round the post.
Talbot had a scare down the other end when Leishman misjudged a swirling cross from the left. He got a hand to it at the back post & clawed it away where it hit off Schiavone & went behind for a goal kick.
The home side made their 1st change on the hour mark with Denton coming on in place of Schiavone.
Hill of Beath’s slim hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow in the 68th minute when they were reduced to 10 men. Leishman went right through the back of Graham Wilson & the full-back was sent to the clubhouse for his 2nd yellow of the afternoon.
The Wilson brothers combined well together in the 70th minute, Stephen finding Graham on the right & Graham sliding the ball on through as Stephen continued his run; however Hall had spotted the danger & was quickly off his line to beat S Wilson to it.
Hill of Beath had a half chance in the 71st minute when they won a corner on the right. It was played into the near post where Elder headed it wide under pressure from Hyslop.
A minute later Talbot nearly made it three. Hyslop played in Glasgow down the right & he drilled it low inside the near post where Hall made another fine save; blocking with his feet.
Hill of Beath now made a further change with Mitchell replacing Hay & Talbot made their 1st switch with Armstrong coming on for Shankland.
Hay produced a good cross in the 80th minute when he flighted a ball in from the left but it sailed just over the head of Elder & went behind for a goal kick.
Tucker now made a 2nd change with McIlroy replacing Glasgow.
The home side had one final chance to narrow the gap in the 85th minute. A free kick from the right was angled to the back post where Elder powered a header wide from close range.
As the game moved into the closing stages Talbot made their final change with Faulds on for Hyslop.
Not a day for pretty football or the purist but Talbot got the job done & made light work of a tricky away tie. Next up for Talbot it is back to league duties where they end the year with the visit of Kilwinning Rangers.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn – Hall, Leishman, Grierson, Connors, Dair, Wright, Hay, Reid, Elder, Watt, Schiavone

Subs – Harrower, Allan, Denton, Mitchell, Morgan (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, White, S Wilson, Hyslop, G Wilson, Shankland, Glasgow

Subs – McIlroy, Armstrong, Faulds, Thomson, Hewitt (gk)

Read more:


Date Time Competition Season
December 23, 2017 13:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2017/18


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Hill O’ Beath000
Auchinleck Talbot202

Hill O’ Beath

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
9Graham WilsonForward1000
14Gareth Armstrong 8Defender0000
5Neill McPhersonDefender0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
8Mark Shankland 14Forward0000
 Total 1000



League Table