Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot




Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee, Media: Lee Conn.

The odd penalty shoot-out notwithstanding, Townhead has been a happy hunting ground for Talbot in recent years and the Bot’s impressive away record continued yesterday.

Talbot started with an unfamiliar looking back 4 due to injuries with Boyle slotting in at right-back and Aiden Wilson partnering Slooves in the centre.

The opening spell was as you would expect in a derby – frenetic – with neither side making any clear cut chances. The only half chance coming the home side’s way when Buchanan swung over a dangerous cross from the right that Slooves did well to head clear.

An early goal helps settle any nerves and Talbot made the breakthrough in the 10th minute. Wardrope started the move when he found Boyd inside the Nock half. He switched it inside to Glasgow who laid it off into the path of MICHAEL WARDROPE who burst through the centre into the box and slotted it low past Barclay.

Talbot’s next attack saw Boyd head the ball inside to find Wardrope on the right of the area. He cut in on his left foot but lost his footing before he could get a shot away.

Moments later Talbot were back on the front foot. The ball spun high across the area toward Boyd but he was closed down as he went to volley it and the ball deflected harmlessly through to Barclay.

In the 17th min Glasgow won a corner down the right that was worked short between Wardrope & Glasgow – allowing Wardrope to cut in on the angle and drill a shot at goal that was blocked en route by Armstrong.

Cumnock weren’t offering much going forward and their first effort at goal came in the 26th minute. Frye’s low ball across the area broke out to Willett at the edge. He was closed down before he could shoot but squared it to McLaughlin who sliced a shot high & wide of goal.

In the 29th minute Boyd won a corner on the right when his cross was deflected behind. Slooves met Wardrope’s delivery but it hit off him rather than him hitting it and bounced through to the keeper.

A minute later Cumnock had their 1st effort on target when McLaughlin fired a cross cum shot in from the left that was comfortably held by Henry.

Glasgow had his name taken in the 33rd minute when he worked a one-two with Boyd outside the area before driving into the box. He went over looking for a penalty but the referee produced a yellow card for simulation.

He was joined in the ref’s notebook a minute later by McLaughlin for a cynical foul on Langan as he burst forward.

Boylan pounced on a Cumnock mistake in the 37th minute to surge forward down the left before firing it across to Glasgow whose ball back across goal was blocked behind for a corner. When Wardrope’s corner came over Boyd met it in the centre but powered a header just over the bar.

In the 40th minute Wilson picked up a knock that saw him have to go off for treatment and Cumnock took full advantage. A ball in from the right was met by McLaughlin who cushioned it into the path of BUCHANAN who fired past Henry to make it 1-1.

A minute from the interval Talbot restored their lead. Armstrong launched it down the left where Boylan controlled it before speeding past his man and cutting it back across goal where CONNOR BOYD side-footed it inside the left post to make it 2-1.

Boyd had a half chance to grab another in the final moments of the half when Langan’s pass sent him through but he tried to check inside and a covering defender got back to make the challenge.

Deep into injury time Wilson conceded a free kick near the bye line for a sliding challenge that also saw him pick up a yellow card. Willett swung it high toward the back post where Wilson headed it clear in the last action of the half and Talbot headed up the drawbridge a goal to the good.

Cumnock had to chase the game and came out positively at the start of the 2nd half without really looking dangerous in the final third. There was a moment of worry for Bot fans in the 52nd minute when a mix-up between Henry and his defence saw them leave the ball to one another before it was eventually cleared.

The home side found themselves a man down in the 56th minute. Ferry intercepted a pass just inside his own half but took a heavy touch and surrendered possession to Boyd who burst past him before being hauled to the ground, resulting in a straight red for Cumnock’s defender.

Just shy of the hour mark Boyle drilled a low ball in off the right to find Boyd in the area. He did well to hold off a couple of challenges and spin to fire a shot on target but it flew straight at Barclay.

Down the other end, Conn cut in off the right flank and drilled a left foot shot wide of Henry’s left hand post.

Talbot’s next effort came in the 65th minute when Glasgow fired over the bar from 25 yards out.

Both sides made a change in the 67th minute – Smith replacing Boyd up top for Talbot and Veitch on for McLaughlin for the home side.

A minute later Armstrong was harshly penalised for a challenge on Willett when the initial foul appeared to be by Cumnock’s full-back. The ref thought otherwise though and awarded Cumnock the free kick 35 yards out that was flighted into the area where it broke to Buchanan 17 yards out and he sliced a shot way over the bar.

Another goal would’ve killed the game off and Talbot had a good chance to do so in the 74th minute. A ball up the right was laid inside to Glasgow who took it in his stride and raced into the area but fired just wide of Barclay’s left post.

In the 77th minute Cumnock broke down the left and the ball was pulled back into the path of Willett but he couldn’t get it out of his feet and the ball ran harmlessly behind for the goal kick.

Eight minutes from time Langan received a caution for a shirt tug on Willett and Talbot made a double change with Thomson & Urquhart on for Glasgow & Langan.

It was game over in the 84th minute when Talbot added their third. Thomson switched play from right to left to find Smith running at the defence and as he cut inside the area he was up-ended by Frye and the ref pointed to the spot. ROSS SMITH took the pen himself and sent Barclay the wrong way to make it 3-1 to Talbot.

Talbot now made a final change with Lennox replacing Wardrope.

Into added time Talbot nearly topped it off with a fourth. Lennox met a ball up the centre and laid it off to Boylan on the right of the penalty area whose low drive was blocked by Barclay. The rebound came out to Lennox who met it on the volley and fired just wide of the right hand post.

A good win for Talbot that moves them a little further up the league table. Next up – Talbot are in midweek action when they host Largs Thistle under the Beechwood floodlights on Wednesday night.

Cumnock Juniors – Barclay, McLennan, Willett, Brown, Ferry, Watt, Buchanan, Frye, Conn, McLaughlin, McLaughlin

Subs – McKernon, Veitch, Young, Sewell, Wilson, Jamieson, Strain (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Henry, Wilson, Gillies, Slooves, Armstrong, Boyle, Wardrope, Langan, Boyd, Boylan, Glasgow

Subs – Smith, Thomson, Urquhart, Lennox, Schoneville, McPherson, Kennedy



Date Time Competition Season
November 11, 2023 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot3


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
14Ewan Thomson 11Forward0000
5Gareth ArmstrongMidfielder0010
11Jamie Glasgow 14Forward0110
10Bryan BoylanForward0100
2Aiden WilsonDefender0010
15Ross Urquhart 8Midfielder0000
12Ross Smith 9Forward1000
4Neil SloovesDefender0000
7Michael Wardrope 16Midfielder1000
16Nathan Lennox 7Midfielder0000
6Ali BoyleMidfielder0000
9Connor Boyd 12Forward1000
8Ruaridh Langan 15Midfielder0010
3Luke GilliesDefender0000
1Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
17Ryan KennedyForward0000
18Neill McPhersonDefender0000
19Scott SchonevilleDefender0000
 Total 3240


Townhead Park
153-157 Townhead St, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18, UK


Sean Murdoch

League Table