Blantyre Victoria v Auchinleck Talbot



Jamie Glasgow goes skipping past his opponent.


‘Pee-wee’ tries his luck from distance but fails to hit the target.


Chris Stafford does his best to keep hold of the ball, as he goes on the attack.


Big Andy grabs the ball out of the air and thwarts the danger.


The Talbot faithful closely watch the action, as Boylan gets double teamed on the wing.


TALBOT TAKE THE LEAD!!! Jamie Glasgow opens the scoring, as he pokes the ball home from close range.  0-1.


Jamie jumps for joy after scoring, as his team-mates are all smiles.


GOOOOAL!!! Talbot double their lead through a very strong header from Gareth Armstrong. 0-2.


Gareth is all smiles after scoring on his return from injury.


THREE-SY FOR TALBOT!!! With the second half not long started, Bryan Boylan nets Talbot’s third via a low shot past the ‘keeper. 0-3.


Come on Bryan…gie us a smile. You’ve just scored!


Boylan does his best to muscle his way down the park.


Boylan gets a rollickin’ from the man in the middle.


OH NO!!! ‘Shankers’ is left with his heads in his hands, as he can only watch the defender clear the danger after nicking the ball off him in front of goal.


Synchronized attacking from Wilson, as he races into the Blantyre box.


Captain for the day, Andy Leishman, gets another Talbot attack started from the back.


Nice to see Gareth back in action after being sidelined due to injury.


And it’s nice to see another returnee, Graham Wilson, back in action too after being out due to a dislocated shoulder.


Aaron Mason gets rugby tackled, as McDowell races to support.


PENALTY??? Did Jack get fouled and was it inside the box?


McPherson goes on a late run for Talbot.


SO CLOSE!!! Mason goes agonizingly close to scoring but just can’t quite stretch far enough.



Talbot made it 4 wins on the bounce as they eased past Blantyre to record another 3 points away from home.

From the get go it was all Talbot and the Bot threatened in the 4th minute when Glasgow escaped Marshall down the left & slung a dangerous ball across the face of goal that went begging.

Three minutes later Talbot had another opportunity after Glasgow was shoved to the deck. Shankland took the free kick & curled a good delivery into the area that McCracken just failed to reach.

Talbot kept the pressure up & won a corner in the 10th minute when Boylan rolled the ball back into the path of Hyslop whose shot was deflected behind off Marshall’s head. Shankland fired the corner in low & Campbell made a hash of it – coming to claim it but letting the ball sail right through him – but fortunately for the home side a defender was on hand to clear.

The home side had another let off in the 20th minute. Boylan nicked in to rob Campbell of the ball when the keeper was hesitant & took it wide of him before sliding it across goal. His shot came off the base of the post & came out to Glasgow who slotted it home but was adjudged to have fouled Jones in front of goal.

Shankland came close to firing Talbot ahead in the 22nd minute. Boylan chested the ball down into his path & he fizzed a shot just over the bar from 20 yards.

The pressure was telling & Marshall had his name taken moments later when he impeded Boylan down the left wing. Shankland took the resultant free kick & fired it low into the centre where it broke back to Healy 18 yards out but he fired straight at the keeper.

Talbot’s persistence paid off in the 26th minute when they grabbed the opening goal. Wilson did well out on the left, charging forward before drilling it low across the face of goal where JAMIE GLASGOW stabbed it home from close range.

Blantyre huffed & puffed to no great effect without ever offering any real threat to the Bot defence with Talbot well in control of proceedings. They did win a few free kicks midway inside the Bot half but were unable to trouble the Talbot rearguard.

In the 41st minute Glasgow did well to win the ball out on the left & played it early up the line to Boylan who won a corner off Gibson. Shankland swept it into the near post where GARETH ARMSTRONG headed home to send Talbot in 2-0 ahead at the interval.

The 2nd half followed the same pattern as the 1st with Talbot doing the pressing.

In the 52nd minute Shankland chipped the ball through to find Aiden Wilson breaking into the box & Campbell blocked his fierce drive at his near post at the expense of a corner. When Shankland’s corner came over Campbell managed to punch it clear but the ball came back out to Shankland & when he crossed it back over it fell to BRYAN BOYLAN who slotted a low shot home to make it 3-0 to Talbot.

The Bot had a chance to extend their lead on the hour mark. Glasgow fed it down the left to find Healy racing free & he delivered it across the 6-yard area where Shankland met it but his 1st touch broke away from him & the chance was gone.

Talbot made a double substitution in the 66th minute with Glasgow & Boylan making way for Graham Wilson & Mason.

Two minutes after coming on both subs were involved when Aiden Wilson won the ball & played it down the line to find Mason in space. He placed a cross right on the head of Graham Wilson who was denied a goal by a tremendous stop from Campbell who managed to tip his header over the crossbar.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot made their final change when McDowall came on for Hyslop.

Talbot had shifted down a gear or two and for the 1st time in the match Blantyre threatened the Bot goal. In the 76th minute Kearney broke down the left after intercepting Stafford’s pass & fired a shot across goal and wide of the far post. Two minutes later Kearney raced onto a good cut back from the right & lashed a shot at goal that Leishman did well to turn behind.

That was it for the home side and Talbot ended the game ended the game strongly – pushing hard for a further goal in the closing stages. In the 84th minute Graham Wilson swept a great ball over from the left that Mason was inches from converting in the centre. Two minutes a ball over the top found Graham Wilson racing free on the left & he played it back to Shankland whose cross was glanced wide of goal by Mason.

Three points, three goals and a clean sheet for Talbot and in truth the margin of victory flattered the hosts. Next up for Talbot is a tough away day in the senior cup when they travel to face Irvine Meadow next Saturday.

Blantyre Victoria – Campbell, Jones, Allan, Gibson, Kerr, Marshall, Eeles, Fee, Hughes, Brennan, Kearney

Subs – Mackenzie, Cunningham, Whitley, McKeown, Garry Campbell, Archer, O’Donnell

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Healy, Armstrong, Hyslop, Glasgow, Boylan, Shankland

Subs – Mason, Graham Wilson, McDowall, Boyd, Lyle, Robbie McCracken



Date Time Competition Season
September 11, 2021 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2021/22


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Blantyre Victoria000
Auchinleck Talbot213

Blantyre Victoria

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Bryan Boylan 12Forward1000
6Kieran HealyMidfielder0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
7Gareth ArmstrongDefender1000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
14Graham Wilson 9Forward0000
11Mark ShanklandForward0100
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
12Aaron Mason 10Midfielder0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
 Total 2100


KG Stadium
Auchinraith, Blantyre, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, G72 0WT, United Kingdom


Sean Murdoch

League Table