Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok FC




It has been a year since Talbot last lost a Super League match and that record was extended thanks to a 3-1 win over league leaders Pollok.

Talbot made a strong start, forcing a corner in the opening minute that Shankland dropped onto the roof of the net.

A few minutes later Stephen Wilson tested Lumsden from distance with the Lok keeper having to tip his shot over the crossbar. From the resultant corner Pollok cleared their lines & sprang onto a swift counter attack down the left. Duff burst into the area and fired a powerful low drive on target that Leishman stopped but couldn’t hold, with Lyle completing the clearance.

In the sixth minute Talbot won a free kick in their own half which Pope flighted onto the head of Hyslop. He flicked it on into the path of Samson who raced down the right before sliding a ball into the near post which McLauchlan bundled behind. Shankland whipped the corner over and CRAIG MCCRACKEN bulleted a header home to give Talbot an early lead.

With quarter of an hour gone Hyslop received a caution for clipping the heels of Gary McCann.

The visitors came close to levelling two minutes later. Dallas won a header on to Gary McCann on the right wing. He lifted a cross over to find Duff in space at the back post. He could’ve headed for goal but instead cushioned a header back to Fraser whose shot from 10 yards out was blocked by McPherson.

With 21 mins gone Pollok paid the price for McLauchlan’s clumsy challenge through the back of Samson. The Lok centre half received a booking and then MARK SHANKLAND curled a beauty of a free kick beyond the keeper & inside the left post to double Talbot’s lead.

Five minutes later Lumsden prevented Talbot from adding to their lead. Hyslop spread it left to find Graham Wilson and he drilled a shot on target that Lumsden blocked at his right hand post.

The Lok keeper was back in action on the half hour mark. Graham Wilson laid it out to Lyle on the touchline & he swept over a tremendous cross that saw Lumsden diving full length to punch it clear.

Talbot’s next effort on target came from another Shankland free kick after Boyle fouled Graham Wilson. Shankland got it over the wall but this time it flew straight at Lumsden.

The Lok keeper was being kept busy & produced a fine stop in the 37th min. Hyslop won the ball midway inside the Lok half & squared it inside to Samson. He carried it forward and spotting Lumsden off his line smashed a shot from 30 yards that Lumsden touched over the bar.

Talbot were pressing hard and threatened again a minute later when McPherson lifted a ball over the defence. Shankland cut in off the left only to see his shot deflected over by Gallagher.

The chances kept coming Talbot’s way and the Bot had a chance to move three ahead in the 40th min. McLaughlan misjudged a high ball & Graham Wilson nicked in behind him. He carried it forward before spotting Shankland in space on the left and he lobbed it back across goal and just wide of the left post.

The temper of the game grew heated in the final minute of the half. Henry crumpled to the deck with no one near him but his acting was sufficiently convincing to hoodwink the referee who gave a foul against Armstrong. Ex Bot player Boyle then got involved, ranting in the referee’s face in an attempt to pressure the official. Once the dust settled, Boyle was booked for dissent & Armstrong was booked for hee haw and Talbot left the field 2-0 ahead.

Pollok came out fighting after the break and won a free kick in a dangerous area in the 49th minute when Dallas was fouled just outside the box. Duff took it but fired straight into the defensive wall.

The visitors ought to have pulled a goal back in the 51st min. Lumsden punted it up the left where McPherson lost it in the air. It came through to Duff in space on the left of the area but rather than shooting he played it across the face of goal where Dallas took a fresh air swipe at it.

Talbot hadn’t got started and Leishman was called upon a minute later when Gary McCann’s cross deflected off a defender forcing Leishman to turn it round his left post.

In the 55th minute Talbot had a chance to move further ahead. Hyslop passed it to Graham Wilson who switched it out to Samson on the right touchline. He arrowed a cross to the back post where Armstrong put a free header over the bar.

Talbot made sure of the win with an outstanding strike on the hour mark. Armstrong, finding the route to the box blocked off turned back & slid a pass across to GORDON POPE who rocketed a screamer past Lumsden from 25 yards.

Twice in as many minutes Boyle collapsed to the turf when challenged in the air by Graham Wilson and his histrionics paid off with Wilson ending up in the book.

In the 67th minute Graham Wilson raced up the right, continuing on despite several late challenges before finally winning a free kick for a foul by Henry. Shankland took it quickly releasing Samson down the right of the area. Samson was brought down by Fraser but there was no penalty as the ref hadn’t been ready and pulled play back; although Fraser was booked for the tackle. This time Shankland angled a low ball across goal that McLaughlan had to turn behind.

With 20 mins remaining Pollok made their 1st change with Esplin on for Fraser and Tucker made a triple substitution with Graham Wilson, Samson & Armstrong making way for Boylan, Glasgow & White.

Talbot’s next attack came as a result of a free kick following Boyle’s barge into the back of Boylan. It was taken short to Stephen Wilson who played it to Glasgow on the wing and he whipped a great cross over to the back post which was well defended.

Shankland earned a well deserved round of applause in the 76th min after turning Gallagher inside out with a couple of shimmies to earn a corner. When the corner was cleared it came out to White who teed up for Glasgow whose low strike was blocked.

With 13 mins remaining Pollok pulled a goal back. They won a free kick out on the right that Henry flighted into the box. Boyle headed it back across where ESPLIN turned it home.

Pollok took encouragement from the goal and Talbot had a couple of late scares. A cross from the right was missed at the back post by Leishman but Lyle was able to clear.

In the 86th minute Glasgow conceded a free kick on the left. It was played low into the near post where it broke to Stuart McCann whose shot was turned round the post by Leishman.
Talbot’s last chance came a minute later when Glasgow won a free kick midway inside the Lok half. Shankland delivered it into the area where Hyslop got his head to it but his header deflected off a defender and looped over the bar.

Talbot saw the closing stages out to record the win and can now look ahead to next Sunday when they host Lanark United in the Sectional League cup final with the first silverware of the season at stake.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman Lyle Pope McPherson McCracken Armstrong Hyslop Stephen Wilson Graham Wilson Samson Shankland

Subs – Glasgow Boylan White Healy Young

Pollok – Lumsden Gallagher Sideserf McLauchlan Boyle Henry Gary McCann Fraser Stuart McCann Dallas Duff

Subs – Forde Russell Esplin Morton Mackenzie

Read more:


Date Time Season
October 5, 2019 14:00 2019/20


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot213

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
12Bryan Boylan 9Forward0000
10Keir Samson 14Forward0000
6Gareth Armstrong 15Defender0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender1000
9Graham Wilson 12Forward0000
11Mark ShanklandForward1000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
 Total 2000


Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table