Auchinleck Talbot v Largs Thistle




Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee. Media: Lee Conn

It was a case of the end justifying the means as Talbot ground out a result over an impressive Largs side at Beechwood.

Talbot had a chance from a set piece within 2 minutes when Smith was fouled just wide of the penalty area. Wardrope drove it in low but the defence cleared.

Glavin prevented the visitors moving ahead in the 5th minute. McPherson’s headed clearance came out to Sewell and he threaded a pass through for the run of Adam. Glavin dived at his feet to make the block and the loose ball came out to McMaster whose heavily deflected effort was heading in til Glavin dived low to his left to tip it away.

Adam had his name taken in the 6th minute for a late challenge on Gillies.

A minute later Thomson swung a good cross over from the right that just flew over Smith in the centre. Talbot kept the pressure up and Smith gathered out on the left before squaring it across to Thomson whose low drive was well-saved by Wilson.

In the 14th minute Urquhart turned smartly and fed it into the feet of Smith just outside the box but his shot was blocked en route and spun through to the keeper.

Moments later Talbot failed to make the most of a promising opening. Smith’s perfectly weighted ball found Boylan racing free down the left and he carried it into the box but his final ball across goal failed to find a Talbot jersey.

McGrath became the 2nd Largs player in the book when he was cautioned for leaving a foot in on Boylan in the 20th minute.

The visitors threatened again in the 24th minute. An attempted clearance travelled 30 yards out before hitting off a Largs player and ricocheting through to Adam in space on the right of the area. He hit a good early cross into the centre that just cleared the waiting Largs players.

In the 28th minute Largs won a corner down the right. Davidson delivered it into the centre where McCreath got his head to it but steered it well-wide of the left post.

On the half hour mark Urquhart had his name taken for a challenge in the Largs half.

Talbot had a lucky escape in the 35th minute. McMaster sped up the left and floated a cross onto the head of Adam who hit the crossbar from close range before Talbot cleared the rebound.

A minute from the interval Largs won a corner down the left when Slooves blocked Sewell’s attempted cross. When the ball came into the back post Talbot managed to clear it to the edge of the area and Sewell fired a low drive on target that Glavin held

Having weathered a lot of Largs pressure Talbot stunned the visitors with a superb strike on the stroke of half-time. MICHAEL WARDROPE’s swerving effort from 20 yards gave the keeper no chance as it flew in off the left hand post to send Talbot in a goal ahead.

Largs made a change at the start of the 2nd half with McBryde on for McCreath.

Talbot started the 2nd half positively and had a half chance within 2 mins of the restart. Urquhart met a shy from the left and played it 1st time to Wardrope who in turn knocked a first time ball to his right to find Boylan and he fired wide from 20 yards.

In the 48th minute Boylan received a yellow card for a late tackle on McMaster.

Glavin came to Talbot’s rescue in the 49th minute. A ball over the top found Ramsay racing down the right of the penalty area and his low drive was turned round the left post.

Largs had Talbot pushed back and forced a series of corners but without being able to find a way through.

In the 56th minute McPherson raced up the touchline and cut the back to Urquhart who drilled a shot on target from 18 yards that Wilson held.

Talbot now made a double change with Boylan & Thomson making way for Glasgow & Boyd. Largs also made a further change with Duffyreplacing Adam.

Faulds took one for the team and received a caution in the 63rd min for a professional foul to halt a Talbot break.

Ramsay was causing problems down the right and in Largs next attack he swung a dangerous cross over to the far post which Talbot did well to head clear.

Talbot then raced to the other end as Smith broke down the left. He slid a pass through to Gillies who appeared to be caught late after playing the ball across the area but the ref waved away his appeal.

In the 69th minute Boyd played it back from the right of the area to pick out Smith who toe poked it on target but straight at the keeper.

With 20 mins remaining Talbot made another double switch with Urquhart & Wardrope being replaced by Langan & Boyle.

A 2nd goal for Talbot would have put a tin lid on it and the Bot came agonisingly close in the 73rd minute. Langan found Boyle out wide on the left and his ball across was cut out for a corner. When the corner came over Armstrong met it and powered a header on target that had the keeper helpless but was headed off the goal line by a defender.

Down the other end Sewell won Largs a corner down the left and when was swung into the back post Glavin confidently gathered it.

Largs now made another change with Martin on for Davidson.

Nine minutes from time Talbot were caught on their heels at a Largs shy down the left, allowing time for the cross to come over which just cleared the head of Ramsay before being gathered by Glavin.

A minute later Langan tried his luck from distance – firing wide of target from 25 yards.

Largs next attack saw them with a man spare down the right but with McLeod available on the overlap, Ramsay opted to go for goal himself and fired it wide of target.

Tucker now made a final change with Lennox on for Smith.

Five minutes from time McLeod won a corner down the right off Armstrong. The corner was cleared out to the edge of the area where McBryde met it and his low strike was deflected just wide of the right post.

It was now all Largs and with 3 minutes remaining Langan ensured Talbot would claim all 3 points when he cleared a goal bound header off the line inside the left post following a corner.

Largs kept piling forward but Talbot withstood the pressure and held out for the win that takes them up to 7th in the table. Next up for Talbot it’s a trip through to the east to face current East Premier league leaders Broxburn in the South Challenge cup

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, Wilson, Gillies, Slooves, McPherson, Armstrong, Wardrope, Urquhart, Boylan, Smith, Thomson

Subs – Glasgow, McAvoy, Boyd, Langan, Lennox, Boyle, Schoneville

Largs Thistle – Wilson, McLeod, McMaster, McCreath, Hughes, Faulds, Ramsay, Davidson, Sewell, Adam, McGrath

Subs – Duffy, McBryde, Devine, Martin, Forbes, Cumming, Johnson



Date Time Competition Season
November 15, 2023 19:30 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot1
Largs Thistle0

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
11Ewan Thomson 12Forward0000
2Neill McPhersonDefender0000
6Gareth ArmstrongMidfielder0000
12Jamie Glasgow 11Forward0000
9Bryan Boylan 14Forward0010
5Aiden WilsonDefender0000
8Ross Urquhart 15Midfielder0010
10Ross Smith 16Forward0000
4Neil SloovesDefender0000
7Michael Wardrope 17Midfielder1000
16Nathan Lennox 10Midfielder0000
15Ali Boyle 8Midfielder0000
14Connor Boyd 9Forward0010
17Ruaridh Langan 7Midfielder0000
3Luke GilliesDefender0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
 Total 1030

Largs Thistle

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Ross Menzies

League Table