Auchinleck Talbot v Irvine Meadow



Andy, Neil and Kieran all vent their collective frustration.


EARLY GOAL!!! Boylan snaps into cheetah mode and races full pelt into the box and smashes the ball home into the far bottom corner. 1-0.


Boylan is all smiles after proving his point in front of goal and putting Talbot into an early lead.


The Talbot two man wall of Healy and Wilson, stand their ground, as Medda fire in the free-kick.


Both benches closely watch the action, as Bryan Boylan legs it up the wing.


HAD-TO-BE, SURELY??? Samson rises the highest and heads the ball towards a half open net and what looked like a certain goal but…


…the Medda ‘keeper manages to claw the ball away from right on the line, however…


…Talbot regain the ball immediately and after a brilliant flick on from ‘Pee-wee’, Graham Wilson calmly fires the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 2-0.


‘Gee’ wheels away in sheer delight after scoring, as his team-mates race to congratulate him too.


Boylan tries to muscle his way past ex-Talbot player Kyle Faulds.


Medda go for the spectacular but ‘Big Neily’ manages to do enough to put off his opponent.


Boyd gets another Talbot attack started and fires the ball up the park.


Martin Findlay gets his point across to his team-mates.


Both players take a tumble, as they fight for possession.


GAME ON!!! Meadow pull a goal back via a brilliant curling effort from Mick Wardrope that hits the sweet spot past Andy Leishman and smashes into the top corner of the net. 2-1.


Wardrope certainly enjoyed his goal and rightly so.


Glasgow locks on to his opponent and tries to pull his way to regaining possession.


Beechwood Park’s ‘Ant and Dec’ watch from the stand, as Jamie Glasgow tries to race into the box.


The crowd hold their breath, as ‘Gee’ has a dig from the edge of the box but he fails to hit the target.


The referee waves play on, Medda shout in vein and Samson does his best to support Graham Wilson, who goes on a great run down the middle of the park.


GLASG-OH SO CLOSE!!! Jamie finds himself in space inside the box but his shot ends up getting blocked by the Meadow defence.


Hands up if they know the name of the ex-Talbot player in front of them.


The steely eyes of Healy.


No way through for Medda, as Stafford stands his ground.


Samson gets stopped in his tracks in the corner by Findlay, as Talbot see out the win.



Talbot got back to winning ways with a hard fought win over Meadow to close the gap on league leaders Pollok.

So far this season Talbot have been slow starters against Meadow but that wasn’t the case this time round and Talbot signalled their intent when they won a free kick out wide of the area in the 2nd minute. Healy swept over a tremendous ball to the back post which only required a touch but no one had gambled & it sped behind for the goal kick.

The opening goal came in the 9th minute when Talbot swiftly turned defence into attack. Boyd played the ball out from the back to find Graham Wilson in the centre & he quickly switched it to the left to find BRYAN BOYLAN racing in on goal & he drilled a left foot shot past Waters to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.

The Bot threatened again in the 14th minute when McCracken’s diagonal pas found Boylan on the wing. He cut inside & whipped over a cross that Samson just failed to connect with. The ball ran on through and Graham Wilson was in space at the back post but the Meadow defence just managed to cut it out.

With quarter of an hour gone Samson tried his luck but from a tight angle he arrowed his shot over the bar.

Talbot’s pressure paid off in the 18th minute when they doubled their advantage. Whyte conceded a cheap corner down the right and when Healy’s corner came over Waters came for it but didn’t claim it. The ball was headed goal wards and looked to have crossed the line before being hooked clear. Talbot appealed for the goal but it wasn’t given. The Bot kept the pressure on though and when the ball was crossed in from the right Hyslop flicked it into the path of GRAHAM WILSON who steered a shot past Winters and inside his right hand post.

Meadow now pushed forward looking for a way back into the match and Willett gave the Bot defence a nervous moment when he angled a dangerous ball over from the left but no one anticipated it & the ball sped across the 6-yard box and behind for the goal kick.

In the 28th minute Meadow won a corner down the left which Wardrope swung into the back post where McPherson rose to head it to safety.

The game was swinging from end to end but without any end product in the final third. Talbot did stretch the Meadow defence in the 38th minute when Stafford swung over a good cross from the right. The defence headed clear but only as far as Graham Wilson who slipped it left to Boylan but his shot was blocked by a defender.

Talbot ended the half strongly and had a promising break in the 43rd minute when Samson won the ball midway inside the Meadow half. He released it to Graham Wilson who burst into the penalty area but couldn’t get his shot away & when he tried to square it inside to Boylan the defence intercepted.

In the closing seconds of the half Talbot won a free kick in a good area when Graham Wilson had his heels clipped just wide of the penalty area but Healy’s delivery hit the wall and the ref blew for half-time.

Meadow made a change at the start of the 2nd half with Martin coming on in place of McKie and the visitors started the 2nd half brightly carving out a half chance in the opening minute. A ball from the left flew across the area where C Boyd met it but he was at full stretch and could only send it well wide of Leishman’s left post.

In the 49th minute G Boyd was cautioned for dissent after Meadow were penalised for an aerial challenge on Samson and he was joined in the ref’s book 3 minutes later by Craig McCracken when he conceded a free kick 30 yards out. Meadow swept the ball over but it was far too near Leishman who gathered easily.

Wardrope then had an effort from distance but he scooped his shot well over the crossbar.

In the 62nd minute Talbot looked to break through Boylan who looked to be impeded. The ref didn’t give it though and Boylan ended up in the ref’s notebook for his complaints over the decision.

The visitors now made a double switch with 2 ex Bot players coming on – Lyle replacing Faulds & Milliken on for G Boyd.

In the 64th min a quickly taken shy found Boylan in space on the left & he lobbed a cross over to the back post which McLennan had to head over his own bar.

Talbot made their 1st change in the 67th minute with Glasgow coming on for Boylan.

It was game on again in the 70th minute when Meadow scored a quality goal to reduce the deficit. McLennan squared the ball to WARDROPE on the left of the penalty area and he gave Leishman no chance as he bent a shot inside the left hand post from 16 yards to make it 2-1.

Lyle now had his name taken for dissent.

Meadow won a free kick within striking distance in the 73rd minute when Talbot were penalised for handball. McLennan took it and got it up and over the wall but it went straight at Leishman.

At the other end Talbot had a chance when Glasgow raced forward and ran for the box. He was challenged but the ball broke loose to Graham Wilson who sliced a shot well wide from the edge of the area.

Talbot now made a further change with Robbie McCracken coming on for Boyd.

Nerves were showing and Talbot conceded a needless shy in the 78th minute when Stafford sliced a clearance out with Leishman waiting to claim it. The shy was taken short and when the cross came over from the right Milliken had a chance to level. He took it on his chest but McPherson got across quickly to make the tackle and put it behind for the corner.

From the resultant corner Talbot raced onto the counter through Graham Wilson who sped up field before releasing it to his right to find Glasgow but his shot was deflected wide..

With 10 minutes remaining Talbot forced a couple of corners in quick succession from the 2nd of which Craig McCracken headed over the bar.

In the 83rd minute Talbot won a free kick 22 yards out when Slooves bundled Hyslop over in a clumsy aerial challenge. Graham Wilson took it and his shot clipped the wall & sped behind for the corner. Glasgow’s corner caused the defence problems, coming off a Meadow head at the near post and angling across the face of goal and beyond the back post for another corner.

Five minutes from time Talbot fans had a scare when Healy hit a poor pass out of defence which was easily intercepted. It was clipped over the defence to find Martin on the right edge of the penalty area but nothing came of it.

Two minutes from time Talbot nearly grabbed a 3rd that would have put the game beyond doubt. Aiden Wilson’s cross from the left was deflected high into the air off Lyle. It came to a Meadow defender who passed the ball straight to Graham Wilson and his fierce drive from 16 yards was tipped over the bar by the keeper.

Talbot saw out the remainder of the match with no alarms to secure the win and a vital 3 points.

A good win for Talbot who wobbled briefly when Meadow pulled on back but rallied to finish strongly. Next up for Talbot it’s a groundhog day fixture as they travel through to Irvine to face Meadow for the 5th time this season – this time in the South Challenge cup.



Date Time Competition Season
February 26, 2022 14:00 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2021/22


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot202
Irvine Meadow011

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Bryan Boylan 12Forward1010
7Kieran HealyMidfielder0000
2Chris StaffordDefender0000
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
8Graham WilsonForward1100
9Keir SamsonForward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
11Willie Boyd 14Midfielder0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0010
 Total 2120

Irvine Meadow

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Paul Timmons

League Table