Auchinleck Talbot v Hurlford United




impressive home form continued as they dispatched Hurlford 3-0 to book themselves a place in the semi-finals of the Scottish Junior cup.

The Bot made a nervy start to the game and the first half chance went Hurlford’s way in the 4th minute. A long punt down the centre looked like it was running through to Glavin but in the absence of a shout Slooves took no chances and headed it clear. The ball came out to Whittaker who fired a shot wide of the right hand post.

Talbot’s first attack came in the 13th minute. McPherson’s ball down the line found Smith in behind R Love who conceded the free kick. Glasgow whipped it into the centre where Boyd met it but his header deflected off a defender and went behind for a corner.

The next effort at goal came in the 18th minute. Wilson launched a free kick up the left that the defence headed clear. It came out to Boyd who met it on the half-volley and fired wide of target.

The inconsistency of match officials was there for all to see soon after. Whittaker was guilty of a cynical foul to halt a Bot attack which resulted in no more than a lecture then within a minute Glasgow received a yellow card for a shirt pull.

In the 22nd minute Glavin tried to be too cute with a kick out – attempting to lob it out to McPherson on the right touchline. It was intercepted by A Love and crossed to the far side of the box towards Mullen but Talbot were able to clear it out for a shy.

Two minutes later the visitors had a half chance when Hurlford won possession just outside the Talbot box and shifted it left to find Love whose low drive was blocked en route by McPherson and trundled through to Glavin.

In the 29th minute Smith sent Gillies away on the overlap and he fired a dangerous low ball into the centre. The defence cleared it out but only as far as Boyle who drilled it wide of the right post.

Frew had his name taken in the 31st minute for high feet.

The Bot’s next chance came courtesy of an error from the Hurlford goalie. Wilson didn’t deal with a passback and played it straight out to Boyd whose left foot effort slid wide of target.

A minute later Talbot had another opportunity. McPherson’s diagonal ball found Boyd racing in behind the defence and he cut in on his right foot and tried to pass it into the far corner but Wilson got down to make the save.

The breakthrough came in the 38th minute. A shy from the right wasn’t dealt with by the Ford defence and CONNOR BOYD reacted to lash a low finish inside the right post to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.

Having gained the lead Talbot nearly conceded an equaliser within a minute. Morrison & Mullen both had chances to hit it inside the Bot penalty area but hesitated and Talbot were able to scramble it clear.

In the 40th minute a defensive mix-up just outside the area gifted the ball to A Love who fired it across goal and wide of the left post.

A minute later Miller swung over a cross from the right touchline that Love headed home from close range but the assistant’s flag went up and it was chalked off for offside.

Talbot were hanging on and had another scare just before the interval. Glavin’s goal kick up the centre was headed back into the Bot half where Morrison got goal side of McPherson and headed into the box where his net bound shot was well saved by Glavin. Talbot were able to see out the remainder of the half to go in a goal ahead at the break.

The Bot came out the traps quickly at the start of the 2nd half and had a half chance in the 49th minute. Glasgow lifted a good cross into the near post which just floated over the head of Boyd.

Two minutes later Talbot doubled their lead. A quick corner on the right was worked to Glasgow who swung a cross into the 6-yard area. The defence cleared it out to the edge of the area where Langan hit it. His shot deflected off a defender and broke kindly to LUKE GILLIES 8 yards out who rifled it into the roof of the net.

In the 57th minute Talbot had a chance to all but kill the tie off. McCracken played a great ball down the right to find Glasgow racing in on goal but he took one touch too many & Frew raced back to recover and put it behind for the corner.

A minute later Boyle did well to win a 50/50 out on the right touchline before switching the ball across to find the run of Gillies. He fired off a shot on target under pressure from Miller that Wilson held.

In the 59th minute Robertson received a caution for a shirt pull on Glasgow.

On the hour mark Glavin maintained Talbot’s two goal cushion with a fantastic save. Hurlford countered down the left where Morrison swung over a cross to find Mullen unmarked in the centre. He looked set to score as he headed it down and back across goal but Glavin dived low to his right to keep it out.

Both sides now made changes – Talbot made a double switch with Thomson & Armstrong coming on for Glasgow & Langan & Hurlford brought Allan on in place of Love.

In the 66th minute Talbot made a further change with McAvoy replacing Smith up top.

Two minutes later Talbot were nearly in for a third. Boyd played a good ball across the face of goal toward Gillies who was set to sweep it home until Miller got back to turn it behind for the corner. When the corner came over to the back post it was headed toward goal and the defence managed to clear it from the goal line.

Talbot were back in control and looking the more likely to score. The next attack saw Thomson cut in off the right and float a cross into the box that just cleared McAvoy.

With quarter of an hour remaining Hurlford made a 2nd change with Robertson making way for Lidington.

A minute later Thomson pinged the ball into the feet of McAvoy inside the box and he laid it back to Boyd who turned and shot on target but it flew straight at Wilson.

With 10 minutes remaining Talbot made their final change with Urquhart on for Gillies.

In the 83rd minute Whittaker received a caution after clattering in late on McCracken.

Talbot had a strong shout for a penalty turned down in their next attack. McAvoy flicked it into the path of Boyd who appeared to be bundled over inside the area but the ref waved play on.

Three minutes from time Hurlford nearly pulled one back. Morrison’s cut back from the left found McKenzie inside the area and his shot hit off the bar before being cleared.

As the game moved into added time Talbot put the game beyond all doubt with their 3rd. McCracken carried it forward and with Hurlford playing a high line he slipped a pass through to KYLE MCAVOY who raced clear before slotting it low inside the right post to complete the scoring.

A good win for the Bot who return to league duties next Saturday when Benburb visit Beechwood.

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McPherson, Wilson, Slooves, McCracken, Langan, Boyle, Gillies, Boyd, Glasgow, Smith

Subs – McAvoy, Thomson, Armstrong, Urquhart, Abed, Wardrope, Henry

Hurlford United – Wilson, Miller, R Love, Frew, Robertson, Watt, McKenzie, Whittaker, Mullen, Morrison, A Love

Subs – McKnight, Allan, Kerr, Anderson, Hughes, Lidington, Taylor



Date Time Competition Season
February 10, 2024 14:00 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot3
Hurlford United0

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
3Aiden WilsonDefender0000
14Ross Urquhart 8Midfielder0000
20Nathan LennoxMidfielder0000
15Kyle McAvoy 11Forward1000
7Ali BoyleMidfielder0000
4Neil SloovesDefender0000
2Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
12Gareth Armstrong 6Midfielder0000
10Jamie Glasgow 16Forward0010
19Tarek AbedMidfielder0000
11Ross Smith 15Forward0000
16Ewan Thomson 10Forward0000
9Connor BoydForward1000
17Scott SchonevilleDefender0000
6Ruaridh Langan 12Midfielder0000
8Luke Gillies 14Defender1000
21Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
 Total 3010

Hurlford United

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Andrew Craven

League Table