Auchinleck Talbot v Arniston Rangers




Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee, Media: Lee Conn.

Talbot made it 3 wins in a row as they dispatched Arniston Rangers at a sunny, but chilly Beechwood to book their place in the 4th round of the South Challenge cup.

The Bot made a dream start – taking an early lead in the 3rd minute. Wardrope chipped it into Smith inside the box and he rolled it across to EWAN THOMSON who rattled a shot into the top corner to make it 1-0.

In the 9th minute Talbot came close to doubling their lead. Langan found Wardrope in space down the right and he fired a dangerous ball across to the back post which Smith just failed to get on the end of.

Two minutes later Talbot grabbed their second. Boylan rose to head flick a long ball into the path of ROSS SMITH who strolled onto it and placed a shot past the keeper at his left hand post.

The game was over as a contest in the 13th minute when Talbot went 3-0 ahead. Gillies played it into the feet of RUARIDH LANGAN and he coolly placed a low shot into the bottom corner.

Talbot were breeching the visitors defence at will and had a chance to add to their lead in the 20th minute. Boylan headed it on to Thomson on the right and his ball into the box found Smith. He laid it back into the path of Wardrope but he blazed his shot over from 15 yards.

In the 23rd minute Langan cut the ball back to Wardrope at the edge of the area and his low drive slipped wide of the right hand post.

Two minutes later the visitors defence failed to clear a shy in from the right that came to Smith and he wheeled around and fired a shot over the bar.

The Talbot chances kept coming and in the 27th minute Boylan met Wardrope’s corner from the right but steered his header over the bar.

Boylan had a great chance to get on the score sheet in the 29th minute when Gillies drilled a low ball across to the back post but he took a fresh air swipe from close range.

Anderson had his name taken in the 34th minute for a late challenge on Thomson at the byline.

Two minutes later the woodwork denied Talbot their 4th. A corner from the right came to McPherson who clipped in a cross from the left edge of the area. McCracken met it and his glancing header was well stopped by McQueen. The rebound came to Boylan whose low drive clattered off the base of the left hand post.

Five minutes from the interval McPherson played it up the line to Boylan who turned Bell and raced up the wing before firing it low across goal where McQueen was able to cut it out with Thomson waiting to pounce.

In the 43rd minute Thomson received a caution for a foul on Kemp and in the last action of the half Thomson was first to react to a loose ball down the right and fired a shot across and wide with Talbot heading in 3 goals to the good at the break.

The 2nd half was only 2 minutes old when Talbot grabbed their 4th. Wardrope’s shot from 20 yards was comfortably held by McQueen but when he bowled it out to McManus there was a mix-up between the defender and his keeper allowing EWAN THOMSON to nick in and force it home.

In the 49th minute Glavin was called into action when he made a good stop from Muir’s curling effort from the left.

The visitors made changes in the 54th minute with Muir & Anderson making way for Graham & Galloway.

Both sides had a good chance in the 57th minute. Firstly, Davies had a chance from 15 yards out following a corner that he blazed miles over the bar then in Talbot’s next attack Langan broke through the defence only to see his shot come back off the left post.

On the hour mark Talbot made a double change with Thomson & Boylan being replaced by Boyd & Kennedy.

In the 62nd minute Langan sent Smith clear on the right and he played it across goal where Kennedy tucked it home but the linesman’s flag ruled it out.

A minute later Talbot had another effort on target when Langan found Boyd on the right and he fired a low effort at goal that McQueen smothered at his near post.

Arniston now made a further change with Hamilton on for Kemp and Talbot made another double switch with Lennox & Boyle on in the centre for Wardrope & Langan.

Talbot’s subs were all involved in the 70th minute when Boyle found Lennox and he in turn sent it wide right to Boyd whose cross to the back post was fired over the bar by Kennedy.

Arniston pulled a goal back in the 72nd minute. DAVIES whipped in a right foot cross from the left touchline that drifted over Glavin who got a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out at the back post.

Within a minute Talbot should have scored again. A slick move saw Kennedy feed it into Boyd whose pass sent Smith through one on one with the keeper but his shot couldn’t beat McQueen as he advanced off his line.

In Talbot’s next attack McQueen again did well when he reacted smartly to tip Boyd’s deflected effort over the crossbar. When Kennedy’s corner came over McCracken met it and headed on target where McQueen saved and Woods completed the clearance from the goal line.

Talbot now made their final change with Schoneville on for Smith.

With 10 minutes remaining Lennox slid a pass through to find Boyd on the right and he raced into the box and fired a shot on target that McQueen held inside his left post.

In the closing stages Talbot had a final chance to add to their tally when McCracken got on the end of Kennedy’s corner from the left but once more the keeper made a good save and Lennox was unable to force it home from close range in a crowded goalmouth and the visitors were able to hold on to the final whistle.

A comfortable afternoon for Talbot who might well have won by a much bigger margin but for the Arniston keeper. Next week Talbot are back in cup action as they travel up to Inverclyde to face Port Glasgow in the West.

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McCracken, Gillies, Slooves, McPherson, Wardrope, Langan, Armstrong, Thomson, Smith, Boylan

Subs – Boyd, Kennedy, Lennox, Boyle, Schoneville, Wilson, Henry (gk)

Arniston Rangers – McQueen, Anderson, Bell, McManus, Woods, Turner, Kemp, Moore, Arran Laidlaw, Davies, Muir

Subs – Graham, Hamilton, Daly, Galloway, Ryan Laidlaw, Murray, Anderson (gk)



Date Time Competition Season
October 14, 2023 14:00 SOUTH REGION CHALLENGE CUP 2023/24


Auchinleck Talbot4
Arniston Rangers1

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
19Aiden WilsonDefender0000
16Ali Boyle 7Midfielder0000
15Scott Schoneville 10Defender0000
3Luke GilliesMidfielder0100
18Ross UrquhartMidfielder0000
17Ryan Kennedy 11Forward0000
14Nathan Lennox 6Midfielder0000
12Connor Boyd 9Forward0000
20Fraser McMillanDefender0000
6Michael Wardrope 14Midfielder0000
8Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
2Neill McPhersonDefender0000
4Craig McCrackenDefender0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
21Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
9Bryan Boylan 12Forward0100
11Ewan Thomson 17Midfielder2110
7Ruaridh Langan 16Midfielder1000
4Neil SloovesMidfielder0000
10Ross Smith 15Midfielder1100
 Total 4410

Arniston Rangers

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Andrew Craven

League Table