Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Report: Murray Steele, Photography: Craig McGhee, Media: Lee Conn.
Talbot did enough to earn a share of the spoils against Beith but as so often this season in a game of fine margins they came out on the wrong side of a narrow defeat.
The Bot got off to a nervy start and Beith had a half chance in the 1st minute. Slooves’ attempted clearance was blocked and it spun into the path of Rossiter who fired over the bar from the edge of the area.
The next chance also came the home side’s way. Rossiter got away down the right and played it low into the centre where Diver took a touch before firing straight at Henry.
The travelling support and Bot dugout were incensed in the 17th minute when Talbot countered through Wardrope. His pass found Smith in space down the left but the move was halted due to a debatable offside call.
Two minutes later Talbot came close to taking the lead. Wardrope’s diagonal pass found Smith in behind the defence down the left. He squared it for Boylan whose left footed effort slid just wide of the left post.
Talbot were having a good spell and Stott came to Beith’s rescue in the 20th minute. Thomson’s cross was met by Wardrope who laid it into the path of Boylan and his low drive was saved by the feet of Beith’s keeper.
Action then switched to the other end where Monti raced down the left before feeding it to Mason. He cut in onto his right foot but was challenged as he hit it and the ball went tamely through to Henry.
The home side took the lead in the 23rd minute. Langan pinged a ball out to Thomson on the left and he cut inside but his shot was blocked by Rough. Beith then lifted it quickly down the right where ROSSITER got the better of Wilson before drilling a shot that squeezed past Henry at his near post.
In the 28th minute Beith had a half chance from a well-worked corner. The corner was drilled in low to Frize who laid it back to the edge of the area where Monti fired over the bar.
A minute later Talbot had the ball in the back of the net only for the referee to come to Beith’s aid. A good pass down the right channel sent Thomson through on goal. There looked to be absolutely nothing wrong with his challenge on Stott who’d raced off his line to block and when the ball went loose, Thomson tucked it into the net, but the referee awarded Beith a foul for the challenge on the keeper.
On the half hour mark Boylan received a very tame yellow card for a challenge on Mason. From the subsequent free kick Monti’s ball in from the left was met by Diver at the back post but he couldn’t direct it on target.
Beith had a good chance to double their advantage in the 36th minute. Mason got in behind and raced through on goal but Henry did well – getting a hand to it to force him wide when he tried to go round him – and Slooves then cleared it when it came into the centre.
Five minutes from the break Wardrope released Thomson down the left. He tried to drill it across goal but it was well cut out by Rough.
Shortly before the interval Wardrope had his name taken for an innocuous challenge on Sculllion.
Soon after the re-start McGlinchey went down theatrically inside the Talbot box following a corner. The ref wasn’t impressed but opted not to book him for diving.
In the 48th minute Thomson became the 3rd Talbot player in the book and there wasn’t much doubt about this one.
Two minutes later Thomson had a good effort well saved by Stott. He cracked a low left foot drive from 25 yards that Stott dived to his left to keep out.
Talbot’s next attack saw Langan burst free on the right before cutting it back to Wardrope. Stott was stranded off his line but a Beith defender managed to block Wardrope’s shot en route to goal.
In the 58th minute Thomson was barged over by Frize but the referee kept his cards in his pocket.
Just after the hour mark Beith threatened when Mason cut the back back from the left into Rossiter who sent a shot wide of the left post from 15 yards.
Talbot then came agonisingly close to levelling. Boylan hammered a shot from 25 yards that had the beating of Stott but clipped the junction of post and bar.
Boylan then turned provider – playing the ball into the path of Langan who raced into the area but couldn’t keep his shot down under pressure from the defence.
In the 70th minute Talbot made their 1st change with Boyd on in place of Thomson.
Two minutes later Langan tried to burrow his way into the area down the right. The ball broke off him when challenged and spun into the centre where Stott was quickly off his line to beat Boylan to it.
With quarter of an hour remaining Boyd lifted over a good cross from the left that Stott couldn’t claim. Wilson went for it at the back post but in the ensuing melee in the 6-yard box the referee gave the decision Beith’s way.
Both sides now made changes with Monk on for Scullion for the home side and Abed replacing Smith for Talbot.
Talbot nearly got in on the 78th minute when Boyd’s well-weighted diagonal pass found Boylan on the left of the penalty area. He managed to knock it past McGlinchey but didn’t get the break of the ball and the defence were able to clear.
Tucker now made a double switch with Boyle & Wardrope making way for Lennox & Gillies.
With 10 mins remaining Armstrong received a caution for obstruction on Mason just wide of the penalty area but Beith made nothing of the resultant free kick.
Two minutes later Talbot broke forward via Langan. He was taken out by Frize but the referee gave the advantage and Boylan raced into the right of the penalty area where his low drive was blocked by Stott. The referee then cautioned Frize for the earlier challenge.
In the closing stages Slooves looked certain to be booked for an identical challenge to Armstrong’s but the only thing consistent about match officials is their inconstancy and no card was shown.
Deep into injury time Beith missed a glaring chance to double their lead. A good pass split the Bot defence sending Monk clean through but he steered his shot past the left hand post.
A tough one to take but positives to take out of it going forward. Next week it’s a break from league duties as Talbot make the long & winding trek down to Wigtown in the senior cup.
Beith – Stott, McGlinchey, Noble, Rough, O’Neill, Scullion, Monti, Frize, Diver, Rossiter, Mason
Subs – Burns, McWilliams, Monan, Monk, Scott, Walker
Auchinleck Talbot – Henry, Armstrong, Wilson, Slooves, McPherson, Langan, Boyle, Wardrope, Boylan, Smith, Thomson
Subs – Boyd, Abed, Lennox, Gillies, McMillan, Park, Kennedy

Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

‘Gee’ sticks to his man in order to put him under pressure.


Unfortunately for McPherson, he has to exit the game very early through injury.


I’m doing the best I can Bryan…no need to shout.


Armstrong stays strong in this 50/50 challenge.


The crowd shelter from the elements, as Aiden Wilson looks to get another attack started.


Beith try to keep the attack going but Stafford does his best to win the ball back for Talbot.


BREAKTHROUGH FOR BEITH!!! Big Andy does his best to stop the narrow angled shot but he can’t prevent Beith from opening the scoring. 1-0.


Healy looks down, while Beith celebrate opening the scoring behind him.


BLINK AND YOU’LL MISS IT!!! Beith’s lead did not last long, as Samson finds a gap and fires a low shot into the back of the net. 1-1.


Keir wheels away to celebrate his goal.


The Talbot players continue to celebrate Samson’s goal, while ex-Talbot player ‘Butch’ looks on.


The crowd closely watch the action, as Boylan fires the ball down the park.


Glasgow is on the losing end of a hefty challenge.


Healy does his best to evade the challenge and continue his run.


CLOSE FOR TALBOT!!! Samson cleverly prods the ball past the ‘keeper but he can only watch the ball go agonisingly wide of the post.


He may have had to leave the game early due to injury but Big Neily still makes his presence known.


Boylan has a dig from distance but fails to find the back of the net.


Samson finds some space at the back post and fires a free header towards goal but…


…is only left feeling frustrated, as the ball, unfortunately hits the side netting.


Andy Leishman vents his anger after Beith go close to scoring.


SO SO CLOSE!!! Talbot go extremly close to taking the lead but they can only watch the ball smack off the crossbar.


GOOOOAAAALLLL!!! It’s two for Keir but more importantly it’s two for Talbot, as he heads home from very close range. 1-2.


Sheer delight for Talbot, as Samson races away to celebrate.


Boylan lets his feelings known to the officials.


Craig McCracken makes sure there is no way through for Beith and that Talbot see out a very important victory.


Folded seat…£6…B & M…Fire resistant…Best a gear!



A Keir Samson brace was enough to secure Talbot the points in this tough encounter which was ruined by a gale force wind which made the match totally farcical at times, but all credit to both sides for entertaining the four hundred plus crowd who were huddled into Bellsdale Park.

Tucker had elected to go with the starting line up that had faced Hearts the week previous, but as early as the tenth minute he was forced into a change when Neill McPherson limped off. Neill had been involved in a sore one two minutes earlier when he seemed to be caught as he cleared a ball down the pitch. He was replaced by Robbie McCracken who moved to right back as Chris Stafford moved into the middle of defence.

On 13 minutes with the wind at their backs and playing up the slope Beith had the first chance of the game when Fowler powered into the box and fired off a smart cross that Watt headed into the air where the wind blew the ball into the path of McLean but his outstretched leg failed to connect and the ball ended up in Leishman’s arms.

A minute later Watt tried a speculative shot from well out which was well wide while the busy Boylan showed his annoyance after being flagged offside with a clear run at goals on the cards.

Beith were putting the elements to good use and on the 18th minute Noble and McMahon capitalised on a Talbot clearance that had been caught up in the wind to set up Fowler who honed in on goals but his angled shot was turned around the post by the fingertips of Leishman in a save that was more spectacular due to the fact that the ball had taken a wicked bobble before he got to it.

The home side were dominating at this point and on the half hour mark a speculative wind assisted hoof up the pitch was gathered by Fowler who set up McMahon but he shot well past

Four minutes later Beith had the chance to open the scoring when Watt left a number of Talbot players in his wake but his pinpoint cross was headed narrowly over the bar by the unmarked Fowler.

It was no surprise when Beith took the lead on 41 minutes when Noble cleared a loose ball up the pitch, the ball seemed to pick up speed in the wind and that saw it fly past the Talbot back line into the path of Hepburn who set up Fowler and the striker slammed the ball into the net from about eight yards via the base of the post.

Beith’s celebrations were short lived as two minutes later Talbot were level due to a training ground move that must be one of the best goals so far this season. It started with Glasgow down the left who cut into the edge of the box before finding Armstrong he in turn fashioned a one two with Graham Wilson which Armstrong played to the feet of Boylan who’s deft touch left Samson unmarked who stroked the ball past Burgess.

Although being limited to very few chances due to the elements and some decent Beith defending Talbot fashioned two good moves before the interval when Glasgow and Grahan Wilson linked up but Wilson just couldn’t get the cross away and on the half time whistle Samson picked out Aiden Wilson but his cross was blocked.

The opening five minutes of the second half were frantic to say the least. Glasgow threw in a tantalising cross into the box but there were no takers while C. McCracken did well to block a Frize cross that was heading into the danger area.

Both sides were looking for chances as the game became more entertaining, Glasgow and McLean had shots blocked while a McGlinchy corner kick had alarm bells ringing in the Talbot defence but after an old fashioned stramash the ball was cleared.

In the 62nd minute Boylan looked to have put Talbot ahead when his 20 yard strike was heading to the bottom right of the net but Burgess pulled off a terrific one handed save.  From the resultant corner Glasgow found the head of Samson but the ball hit the side netting. The Talbot fans were less than pleased two minutes later when Boylan had the ball in the net but the referee had blown for an infringement seconds earlier.

Beith were quick to show they were still in this game when Frize made a superb run down the wing and his low cross into the box was clipped well over the bar by McLean. Moments later Fowler had a half chance but he shot tamely into the keeper’s arms. On the 72nd minute Frize was kicking himself after finding himself unmarked he headed a McGlinchy corner well over the bar.

After that period of pressure by the home side Talbot delivered the sucker punch on the 76th minute after Samson won a free kick on the right of the Beith box. Glasgow delivered a wicked ball that fell to C.McCracken whose touch saw the ball cannon off the bar before being cleared for a corner. Glasgow fired the resultant corner right to the back post where Samson rose above the Beith defense to head the ball into the net.

Glasgow was unlucky not to get himself on the scoresheet when he latched onto a loose ball due to an excellent Armstrong tackle, he then powered up the middle of the park before chipping the keeper from 30 yards but the ball just dipped over the bar.

The last chance of the game came when R.McCracken latched onto a loose ball after Noble half cleared a Boylan cross and the youngster tried his luck from 25 yards but the ball took a vicious swerve and went a few yards past the post. Talbot started to wind down the clock by introducing Mason for G. Wilson, and on the last minute Boyd replaced Glasgow who limped off after catching a stud on the back of his heel.

To summarise it was a hard won three points in difficult conditions against a decent Beith side. The injuries to McPherson and Glasgow we hope are superficial and they are up for selection next week. Robbie McCracken and Chris Stafford put in a great shift after the defensive switch around, while the whole team stuck to their tasks throughout the match.

Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot advanced to the first final of the season courtesy of a hard fought away win over Beith.

The Bot made an uphill battle of shooting down the slope in a forgettable first half where the physios were kept busier than either keeper.

It was Beith who had the best of it in the 1st period & Bradley had the first effort at goal in the 10th minute when he fired a shot across goal & wide of Leishman’s right post.

Four minutes later Beith were back on the attack. A ball down the left found McIlroy just inside the area & he pulled a shot across goal & past the left post.

The home side had a decent chance in the 19th minute. Beith won a free kick inside their own half which Milliken lifted over to the far side. The Bot defence failed to cut it out & the ball came to Green in space on the right side of the penalty area but he slashed his shot wide from a good area.

Beith were forced into an early change after 24 minutes when Ramsay limped off to be replaced by Fisher.

A calculator would’ve been required to tally up all the free kicks the referee was awarding Beith & he granted them a particularly soft one in the 28th minute just outside the Talbot box. McGlinchey curled it over the wall & Leishman had to be on his toes to push it past the left post.

Then nothing very much happened, barring more free kicks & theatrics from Beith, until the closing minutes of the half when Talbot suddenly came alive.

A bout of heady tennis ended with Hyslop nodding the ball on into the path of McDowall & he drilled a low shot just past White’s right post from 25 yards.

Two minutes from the break Talbot nearly took the lead. A shy from the right found Glasgow who in turn passed it to Hyslop inside the area. He rolled it to his right where Stephen Wilson was in space & his angled shot was destined for the bottom corner until Milliken made an impressive goal line clearance to ensure the sides went in level.

The Bot made a change during the break with Stephen Wilson off and Corey Pearson on in his place.

Talbot had an early chance when Young surged forward from defence and played in Glasgow down the left. He lifted a cross over to the far side of the 6-yard box where Pearson volleyed well wide of target under pressure.

In the 49th minute Beith took the lead. Christie created it, haring down the right before cutting a low ball across the face of goal where MCILROY bundled it home from inside the 6-yard area.

Talbot responded positively to falling behind and came close to a leveller within a couple of minutes. Aiden Wilson floated a ball over from the left that Hyslop challenged for in the air. The ball broke to Pearson just outside the area & he fired a shot just past the right hand post.

The Beith defence were posted missing a minute later when Talbot grabbed the equaliser. Hyslop headed the ball on down the middle & JAMIE GLASGOW raced onto it past the static defence before drilling a low shot inside White’s right post to make it 1-1 in the 52nd minute.

Two minutes later the Bot almost went ahead. Hyslop’s pass to Glasgow was blocked at full stretch by a defender who knocked the ball straight into the path of Pearson who hammered an effort just wide of the left post.

The referee had to reach into his pocket soon after following an altercation between Glasgow & Green that saw both of them cautioned.

Beith’s main danger was Christie & the winger caused the Bot defence problems in the 61st minute when he picked it up midway inside the Bot half before driving into the box & hitting a powerful shot straight at Leishman.

Within a couple of minutes Pearson also had his name taken for a late challenge as the Bot conceded a free kick just outside their own area. McGlinchey took it & his effort clipped the wall before flying just past the left post.

In Talbot’s next attack Glasgow nearly raced clean through the centre of the home defence again but this time Milliken came good with a sliding tackle to deny him.

Talbot threatened the Beith goal twice in a row in the 67th minute. Glasgow capitalised on a defensive error to play in Pearson who burst through on the keeper; however, White stood his ground & Pearson went for power with the keeper able to parry it away. The rebound fell to Glasgow & his shot sailed past the stranded keeper only for Docherty to defy him with a goal line clearance.

White prevented Talbot from moving ahead in the 71st minute with a superb reflex stop. Lyle lifted it up the line to Glasgow who quickly fed it on to McKinlay on the right of the area & his shot was flying inside the left post til White dived to turn it past.

Beith’s defence was looking shaky and the home side conceded a penalty in the 74th minute. McPherson pinged a ball over the defence to find Glasgow breaking into the penalty area. He looked to cut in past Docherty who lost his footing & then prevented Glasgow knocking it past him by using his arm; resulting in a Bot spot kick and a booking for the defender. Glasgow took it but fired it more or less straight down the centre & White was able to save.

Having been well on top for awhile Talbot could have paid a price for failing to take their chances when Beith nearly regained the lead in the 77th minute. Hyslop lost the ball to Bradley who raced clear on the left before firing a dangerous ball into the near post that Lyle managed to clear.

A minute later Talbot had another close call down the other wing when Christie got away from Aiden Wilson & whipped a cross into the centre which McIlroy missed in front of goal.

Tucker now made a double switch up front with Graham Wilson & Shankland providing the fresh legs in place of McKinlay & Glasgow.

Pearson came close to breaking the deadlock in the 83rd minute when he gathered in space 30 yards out & drove forward before cracking a shot just wide of the left post.

Play was now switching from end to end with both sides looking for a late winner as the prospect of a penalty shoot-out loomed ever nearer. With a minute remaining of regulation time McIlroy had his name taken when he clipped the heels of a Bot defender.

AJust when it seemed penalties were inevitable Talbot popped up with an injury time winner. Graham Wilson played it up the right to find Shankland just outside the area. He squared it inside to find Healy whose shot was blocked but it spun back out to MARK SHANKLAND on the right of the area & he kept a cool head to steer a low shot across White & inside the right post to seal the win for Talbot.

Next up for Talbot it is back to cup duties as they travel through to the east to face Camelon in the 2nd preliminary round of the William Hill Scottish cup this Saturday.

Beith Juniors – White, McGlinchey, Milliken, Docherty, Green, Wilson, Christie, Frize, McIlroy, Ramsay, Bradley

Subs – Haggarty, Fisher, McMahon, McKenzie, McQueen

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Aiden Wilson, Young, McPherson, Hyslop, Healy, Stephen Wilson, McKinlay, Glasgow, McDowall

Subs – Shankland, Graham Wilson, Pearson, Armstrong, Pope

Read more:

Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

This was a day to forget for Talbot & their fans with the Bot well beaten by Beith & the Glens clinching the league thanks to their win over Rob Roy.
Beith were on top from the off & had Talbot on the back foot as they shot down the slope. McGowan came close to opening the scoring in the 7th minute when he headed Bradley’s cross just wide of Leishman’s left post.
The home side threatened again in the 16th minute. Bradley cut in past Milliken into the penalty area before firing a shot across goal & wide of the left post.
Talbot had a rare chance in the 18th minute. S Wilson won the ball in a 50/50 challenge 30 yards from goal & made a beeline for the box. He had Pooler spare to his right but opted to go for goal & dragged his shot wide of target.
Beith’s next chance came from a set piece following a foul on Bradley. McGowan hit it but blasted his shot over the bar from 25 yards.
The opening goal came in the 25th minute. Leishman lifted the ball down the right where Milliken headed it in field. Burke latched onto it & released an early ball down the centre where MCPHERSON raced onto it & lobbed the ball over Leishman.
Sheridan received a booking in the 35th minute for a body check on G Wilson & Bradley ought to have joined him a minute later for a rugby tackle on Pooler out by the touchline.
Beith were forced into a change in the 41st minute with Watt replacing Christie.
Talbot had a chance in the last minute of the half when Milliken swept a cross over to the back post where McCracken headed it over the bar from 6 yards.
Any hopes Talbot entertained of a comeback were effectively ended in the 55th minute with Beith’s 2nd goal. McPherson sped onto a ball over the top & whilst he was halted before he could get a shot away, the ball broke out to BRADLEY who hammered an unstoppable shot in off the right post.
Talbot had an injury scare just after the hour mark when Young fell awkwardly & took a bad head knock. After a lengthy spell of treatment he was able to groggily leave the field to be replaced by Shankland with Thomson also coming on for Milliken.
The personnel changes didn’t alter the pattern of the match & Beith continued to look the more likely.
With five minutes remaining Beith completed the scoring.
WATT was played in down the right & although Leishman spread himself well to block his 1st effort, he was helpless to prevent him slotting home the rebound.
The final whistle came as a relief to the Bot support who will be hoping the team can pick their heads up for Wednesday night’s West semi-final clash with Cumnock.

Beith – Grindlay, McGlinchey, Burke, McDonald, Sheridan, Bradley, McGowan, Frize, McPherson, Christie, Elliot

Subs – Collins, Wilson, Watt, McArthur

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, Harvey, McCracken, Young, S Wilson, Pooler, Milliken, G Wilson

Subs – Shankland, Thomson, Stevenson, White, McPherson

The smile of a goal-scorer, as Beith celebrate their opening goal. 1-0
They’re maybe three Talbot defenders in front of him but Beith still manage to find a way through for the ball and make it three ‘n’ easy for them. 3-0.
Shankland can only watch, as Beith celebrate their hat-trick of goals.
He found some space at the back post but Milliken sends his header high and above the crossbar.
Although he had two defenders baring down on him, McCracken still manages to head the ball towards goal.
The Black ‘n’ Gold wall stands their ground but Beith manage to fire the ball round it.
An overhead spectacular from Kier Milliken but the ball goes wide of the post.
Graham Wilson jumps out McCracken’s way, as the latter fires a thunderous shot at goal.
Pooler chases down the ball but, unfortunately, the ‘keeper gets to it first.
Agony etched onto his face, as Steven Wilson rues a missed opportunity for Talbot.
Dylan Pooler does his best to get his head to the ball but the Beith ‘keeper manages to punch it clear from danger.
After going one-nil up, this Beith player tries to make sure his team-mates stay focused.
As Gordon Pope shouts and points to where the danger is, ‘Butch’ tries to win back possession for Talbot.
McCracken goes on a run but gets stopped in his tracks by Beith.
After being on the end of a hefty challenge, ‘G’ makes sure his feelings about it are known.
Who says there isn’t any silky football in the Juniors, as this Beith player finds his team-mate with a very clever back heel pass.
Andy looks on, as McGoldrick sends the ball back down the park.
Hopefully I’m not the only one but I very much enjoyed the ‘beats’ getting drummed out by this ‘Mighty’ fan at the game. Keep up the good work ma man! Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Beith v Auchinleck Talbot

Beith v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot Penalty Goal
Always better late than never! With the game deep into injury time and surely heading for a replay, Talbot are awarded a penalty and with everybody holding their breath, up steps Steven Wilson who smashes home the late winner for Talbot. 0-1.
Talbot Penalty Goal Celeb
Steven, ‘Shankers’ and ‘Pee-Wee’ race away to celebrate Talbot’s late, late winner!
Talbot Penalty Goal Celeb 2
Absolutely ‘nae chance’ of wiping these smiles off their faces!
Talbot Goal Celeb
The players can’t help but go wild after Steven Wilson’s winning penalty!
Action 3
Beith come very close to opening the scoring, as the ball whizzes inches past the crossbar, although, Andy makes sure he has it covered.
Action 13
Although he loses balance but McCracken still manages to fire a shot at goal from the edge of the box.
Action 5
Early in the second half, Hyslop fires a shot from long range but fails to hit the target.
Action 7
With both teams still looking for the opening goal, Beith try to go for the spectacular but unfortunately for them, Andy Leishman pulls off a great save.
Action 6
As Beith shout for off-side, Graham Wilson can only watch his shot go horribly wide.
Action 8
‘Butch’ gets free in the box but fires his shot high over the bar.
Action 4
Milliken tries to win back possession for Talbot.
Action 12
Lyle is put under pressure, as he tries to race up the park.
Action 11
‘G’ keeps his eyes firmly fixed on the ball, as he fends off this challenge.
Action 9
The Black ‘n’ Gold army look on, as Shankland sends a pass up the wing.
Action 1
Sheridan and Keir chase down the ball in a nice symmetrical manner!
Action 14
The Talbot bench closely watch the action, as ‘Butch’ chases this lost cause.
Action 2
McGoldrick slides in on Sheridan and clears the ball away.
Front Cover
Danny Boyle and Ross Harvey celebrate the victory to the welcoming sound of the final whistle.
Action 10
The Talbot bench and fans go absolutely ‘nuts’, as they celebrate the dramatic victory over the Scottish Cup holders. Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Beith 0 Talbot 1 ( H-T 0-0)

Beith paid the penalty in this cup tie as Talbot edged them out in a match where two spot kicks proved crucial to the outcome.
It was the Bot who settled first & made the early running as they shot down the Bellsdale slope. Frize was fortunate to escape an early booking when he went right through Hyslop 30 yards from goal. Graham Wilson took the resultant free kick & got it up & over the wall but straight at Grindlay who made an easy save.
The home side came close in the 7th minute. Frize read Leishman’s long throw & intercepted it on the right wing. The ball was swung into the centre where McPherson ran onto it but his shot lacked fizz & was easily saved by Leishman.
A minute later Hyslop looped a header wide when he met McGoldrick’s free kick inside the penalty area.
It looked to be advantage Beith in the 11th minute. A ball into the heart of the penalty area was cleared but cannoned off a player at the edge of the area & fell kindly for McGlinchey inside the box. He went down under Lyle’s challenge & the ref pointed to the spot. Christie struck it on target but Leishman went the right way & dived low to his left to turn it wide.
Talbot threatened the Beith goal on the quarter hour mark. McCracken led a counter-attack down the left before finding Milliken. He cut the ball back into the area where Young met it sweetly & his low drive was goal bound until it was blocked off a defender. It came back out to Young who squared it across to Steven Wilson who lifted a shot over the bar from 18 yards.
Beith’s defence had to be at the top of their game in the 24th minute when Milliken gathered out on the right & whipped a tremendous cross into the centre. Graham Wilson went for it at the near post but was just beaten to the ball by a whisker by McLaughlin who headed clear.
Frize had a lucky escape soon after. Already on a yellow card he blatantly tripped Steven Wilson as he raced forward but the ref decided it wasn’t worth a 2nd caution.
The penalty apart, Beith hadn’t offered much of a threat but they did come close on the half hour mark. A Beith corner was headed clear by Boyle but came out to J Wilson who met it on the volley & sent a shot just over the bar.
MacDonald became the 2nd Beith player cautioned when he up-ended McCracken as he bore down on the Beith box, resulting in a free kick 20 yards out. G Wilson took it but his shot clipped the top of the wall.
In the 42nd minute Beith almost capitalised on a slice of luck inside the Talbot box. McGlinchey’s mishit shot broke into the path of McPherson 15 yards out but he hesitated for a fraction & was challenged as he hit it with the ball spinning high into the air where it was gathered by Leishman.
The referee again erred on the side of leniency a minute before the interval. MacDonald should have received a 2nd yellow card for his late challenge on Milliken but the ref kept his cards in his pocket & contented himself with awarding the free kick. McCracken fired in a low shot from 30 yards that was blocked clear & the sides went in goal less at the interval.
The opening spell of the 2nd half was evenly contested with both sides having half chances to take the lead. Firstly Milliken cut into the area from the right & fired on target but sent his shot straight at Grindlay then down the other end MacGowan met McGlinchey’s hanging cross but hit a tame shot at Leishman.
Beith made the game’s 1st change in the 58th minute when Burke came on in place of McMenamin.
Graham Wilson very nearly provided the breakthrough in the 61st minute. He jinked inside the box off the left wing before firing narrowly over the bar.
Milliken picked up a yellow card in the 64th min for dissent when Beith won a free kick out on the right. MacGowan curled an in swinger into the box which Milliken headed over the bar. When the corner came over McLaughlin ran onto it but steered his free header over the bar from 8 yards.
Beith made a double switch in the 67th minute with McLean on for McPherson & Watt replacing MacDonald.
Two minutes later Talbot had a chance to take the lead. Graham Wilson released Young in space on the left of the area. He might have gone for the shot but instead opted to square it across the face of goal & the defence were able to clear.
Talbot enjoyed a bit of good fortune in the 70th minute. Watt got free on the right & sped a dangerous low ball across the 6-yard area. Christie was lurking unmarked at the back post but the ball clipped off McGoldrick’s heel & out to Harvey who completed the clearance.
A few minutes later Leishman produced his 2nd crucial save of the afternoon. A corner from the right came over into a packed penalty box & McLaughlin met it to direct an overhead kick on target. It looked a goal all the way until Leishman threw out his right arm to turn it away.
Tucker made his 1st change in the 81st minute with Shankland coming on for the tiring Milliken.
Shankland was only on the pitch two minutes before being flattened by J Wilson who received a yellow card for his troubles.
With 5 minutes to go Tucker made his 2nd change with White replacing McCracken in midfield.
Young nearly won it for Talbot soon after. Boyle met a ball in from the left & headed it back across goal where Young’s volley flew just past the right upright with the keeper beaten.
Just when it looked as though the game was heading for a replay Talbot made the breakthrough. White gathered by the right touchline & slipped the ball up the wing. The Beith defence were looking for an offside flag that never came & G Wilson carried on into the area where he took it wide of the keeper who sent him crashing to the deck. The ref pointed to the spot but there was a lengthy delay before it could be taken to allow treatment for Grindlay. The delay didn’t faze STEVEN WILSON who coolly stepped up & slotted the penalty home.
Beith threw bodies forward as the game moved into injury time but it was too little, too late & the Bot defence stood firm to knock the holders out.
This was an impressive away win against tough opposition & hopefully Talbot can kick on from this & maintain a similar level of performance next Saturday when they visit Hurlford in the league.

Beith – Grindlay, MacDonald, McMenamin, McLaughlin, Sheridan, J Wilson, McGlinchey, Frize, McPherson, Christie, McGowan

Subs – McLean, Watt, Collins, Burke, Martin

Talbot – Leishman, Harvey, Lyle, McGoldrick, Boyle, McCracken, Hyslop, S Wilson, Milliken, G Wilson, Young

Subs – Shankland, White, Stevenson, McPherson, Pope










Beith v Auchinleck Talbot

It was honours even as Talbot & Beith shared 4 goals in this Scottish Cup preliminary round tie; leaving both sides to face off again next Saturday at Beechwood.
Talbot were shooting down the slope in the 1st half & it was the Bot who made the early running. The first effort at goal came when Lyle gathered Pope’s cross out on the right touchline. He fed it inside to Millken whose low drive went wide of target.
Milliken did hit the target soon after. He skipped past Sheridan down the left & fired at goal, but the keeper was well positioned & made a comfortable stop.
Talbot were temporarily reduced to 10 men in the 9th minute when Latta fell awkwardly after being fouled by McGlinchey. He went off for treatment on his shoulder but couldn’t continue & in the 12th minute Stevenson came on in his place.
This was a physically bruising encounter with neither side being afforded any time on the ball & more tackles being made than passes played.
McGlinchey came to the home side’s rescue in the 24th minute. Steven Wilson battled well to win the ball out on the right & looked to be fouled just outside the area. The ball broke loose to Stevenson who swept a dangerous low ball across goal that McGlinchey hooked clear inside the 6-yard area.
A minute later Milliken ought to have put Talbot ahead. Wilson sped away from Sheridan down the right before sweeping an early ball across the area. Milliken ran onto it but from 15 yards out he hoisted his shot over Grindlay’s crossbar.
Beith then came close at the other end. Christie managed to get on the end of McGlinchey’s deep cross & succeeded in heading it back for McLean but he fired wide of the right post from a good area.
Hyslop came close for Talbot in the 40th minute. Young squared the ball inside for him & he drilled a low shot just past the right post with Grindlay beaten.
With a minute of normal time remaining McGoldrick was in the right spot to block Wilson’s low strike from just outside the area as it headed goal wards.
Talbot took the lead in the 45th minute. Young sent Milliken free down the left & he returned it into the centre where YOUNG volleyed home to make it 1-0.
It looked like Talbot would head in a goal to the good at the break but Beith had other ideas and they drew level two minutes into injury time. McGoldrick headed a cross clear but it only came out to WILSON who managed to evade the challenge of Young before slotting a low shot inside the right post from 20 yards to make it 1-1.
With the advantage of the slope & the fillip of their late equaliser, Beith came out strongly at the start of the 2nd half and soon had Talbot under pressure.
McLean passed up a decent chance in the 49th minute. He beat offside to break free on the right but hit a tame shot at goal that Leishman easily saved.
Tucker made a switch in the 50th minute with Graham Wilson replacing his brother Steven.
McGlinchey tested Leishman in the 55th minute from 25 yards; drilling a low shot on goal that Leishman held.
Talbot created a half chance in the 58th minute. Wilson ran onto a ball in behind the defence & did well to hook it back across goal. Stevenson ran onto it & climbed above Docherty to get his head on it but his header went wide of the left post.
Sheridan had his name taken in the 61st minute. Wilson laid the ball down for Milliken who was breaking away from Beith’s centre half until wrestled to the ground.
Route one nearly paid off for Beith in the 65th minute. Grindlay’s long ball down the centre skimmed off the top of McGoldrick’s head & McLean raced onto it inside the area. He flicked it over Leishman but lifted it wide of the left post.
Beith took the lead in the 69th minute with a well-worked goal. Docherty started and finished the move; playing it out wide left to find McGowan on the touchline & when he slid it across the area DOCHERTY coolly passed the ball into the net.
Playing against the slope & a goal behind, it was literally an uphill struggle for Talbot & Beith were looking comfortable in their lead.
White had his name taken in the 78th minute for a shove on McLean and two minutes later McLean joined him in the notebook for a foul on Pope.
With time running out Tucker decided to throw caution to the wind, replacing Boyle with Pooler as Talbot went with three up front.
In the 84th minute Milliken raced free of the Beith defence down the right & fired a dangerous ball across goal but there was no support in front of goal to take advantage.
A minute later Talbot won a free kick just outside the Beith penalty area for a foul on Milliken. Young flighted it to the back post where Docherty headed it away but he got no distance on it & it fell for POPE who buried a shot inside the right post to level the score.
The final 5 minutes were nerve wracking for both sets of supporters. Firstly, Beith came close to snatching it when McLaughlin cushioned a header across goal from a corner. It came to Docherty but the ball broke off him & ran through to Leishman.
Down the other end, Milliken had a half chance to snatch a late winner when he burst into the box but he delayed his shot & the chance was lost.
As the game headed into injury time Beith won a couple of set pieces in the Bot half, allowing them to thrown the ball into the area but on both occasions Pope headed the ball away to safety.
Beith is never an easy place to visit, and most Talbot fans would have settled for a replay prior to the match. Now both sides will face off for the third time in a row with Talbot hoping for a similar outcome to the recent Ardagh semi-final at Beechwood.

Beith – Grindlay, MacDonald, Docherty, McLaughlin, Sheridan, Wilson, McGlinchey, Frize, McLean, Christie, McGowan
Subs – Collins, Watt, Burke, McPherson, Fisher, Martin, McBain (gk)

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, Boyle, Latta, White, Hyslop, S Wilson, Milliken, Young
Subs – Stevenson, Pooler, Harvey, G Wilson, McCracken, Hewitt (gk)

With five minutes to go in the first-half, ‘Butch’ gets onto the end of Milliken’s cross and, via a deflection, puts Talbot into the lead. 0-1.
Smiles all round, as Stevie Wilson congratulates Bryan for scoring the opening goal.
With people thinking Talbot were going to have the lead at HT, Beith thought otherwise. With the Talbot defence opened up, Jamie Wilson found some space and fired the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 1-1.
Cue the wild celebrations from the Beith players after Wilson’s equaliser.
With Talbot chasing the game, up steps Gordon Pope, who unleashes a thunderous shot towards goal and grabs the all important equaliser for Talbot. 2-2.
The Beith players look on in despair, as Talbot celebrate the equaliser.
‘Fingers crossed’ this pass makes it!
White tries to win back possession for Talbot.
Milliken races into the box and tries a shot from close range.
Andy Leishman keeps a close eye on the ball, as Beith try a long range effort.
As the Talbot faithful look on, ‘Tucker’ dishes out the orders.
Keir gets another Talbot attack going.
Stephen White keeps the game going.
Dylan Pooler gets beaten to the ball. Photographs by Paul Flynn.



Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot paid the penalty for failing to build on an early lead as they lost out in a spot kick shoot off to Beith following a 1-1 draw.
The game had an end of season feel about it & there were few clear cut chances created by either side.
The 1st to show was the home side, after 3 minutes, when Reid narrowly volleyed past the post from 18 yards out.
However it was Talbot who opened the scoring with their 1st real attack after 12 minutes. Hyslop’s pass released Young on the left & he in turn fed it on to G Wilson. He crossed to the far post where MILLIKEN volleyed it on target & Grindlay couldn’t prevent it going in at his left post.
A good passing move ended with Pope free on the left of the penalty area & Sheridan did well to knock his low centre behind for the corner. Shankland lifted the corner to the far post where Hyslop looped a header over the bar.
Talbot won a free kick 30 yards from goal in the 20th minute when Shankland was impeded by Sheridan. Shankland took it himself but his shot hit the defensive wall.
Grindlay kept the home side in it on the half hour mark. S Wilson ran onto a weak clearance and thumped a shot on target that the keeper did well to tip over his bar at full stretch.
McLean missed a good chance to level the match in the 32nd minute. He met Burke’s corner at the near post but steered his free header wide of Leishman’s left post.
The assistant ref got it badly wrong a few minutes later when he kept his flag down as McLean raced free down the left. He looked clearly offside, but in the end no harm was done as he lost his footing inside the area & the ball trundled behind for the goal kick.
The final chance of the half came Beith’s way in the 45th min. Watt lifted a cross over beyond the far post where Burke rose to head it on target but Leishman was well positioned to make the stop.
The home side made a change during the interval with Clark coming on for McArthur.
Shooting down the slope Beith started the 2nd half strongly & forced a save out of Leishman within a minute. Watt shifted the ball right to find Frize racing into the area & his low shot across goal was turned away by Leishman.
Tucker made a change in the 51st minute with Boyd coming on for G Wilson.
Talbot were unlucky on the hour mark when a slick passing move ended with Lyle inches from connecting with Shankland’s through ball. The pass took out the central defence but Grindlay read the danger & was quickly off his line to smother at the feet of Lyle.
Two minutes later Shankland carved out another opportunity. This time he whipped a cross over from the left that just required a touch to put it in but Boyd failed to make contact at the back post.
Within a minute Talbot threatened again. This time, Milliken curled a good cross over from the right which Hyslop headed for goal. Grindlay was beaten but his looping header just cleared the bar.
Beith now made their 2nd change with Collins on for Reid.
Talbot were left to rue those missed chances in the 66th minute when Beith levelled. McGowan flighted a high cross in from the right which Leishman misjudged. The ball came to BURKE beyond the back post & he passed it into the empty net.
Tucker now made Talbot’s 2nd change with Love coming on for Shankland & moments later S Wilson picked up the 1st caution of the afternoon when he prevented Beith from taking a quick free kick.
With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot won a free kick 30 yards out after Sheridan fouled Hyslop. The large travelling support weren’t slow in letting the ref know this was Sheridan’s umpteenth offence but the ref chose to keep his cards in his pocket.
Hyslop fired the free kick over the wall but it also flew just over Grindlay’s bar.
Tucker made his final change in the 82nd minute with Gillies replacing Milliken.
Beith had a chance in the 85th min. Following a bout of heady tennis around the Bot penalty area the ball came through the centre to McLean & he nearly got on the end of it but just failed to connect & the ball ran through to Leishman.
In the final minute of the 90 Talbot were denied a late winner by a great save from Grindlay. Young had his heels clipped 25 yards out resulting in a free kick on the right. Young rolled the ball square to Pope & he drilled a shot heading inside the left post until Grindlay tipped it wide. Boyd retrieved it but his attempted cross was blocked for a corner that the defence cleared & so it came to penalties.
MacDonald went first for Beith but Leishman saved his effort; Hyslop was 1st up for Talbot & he sent his pen inside the left post; Collins tucked his pen into the corner for Beith and Young sent Grindlay the wrong way to keep Talbot 2-1 ahead; Burke levelled the score, although Leishman was unlucky, guessing the right way & getting a hand to it but unable to keep it out; S Wilson was next up for Talbot & he hit a penalty he’ll want to forget, steering it well wide of the right post; McLean put Beith ahead before Gillies levelled for Talbot; Reid made it 4-3 to the home side & Pope sent Grindlay the wrong way to level at 4-4. Docherty put Beith 5-4 ahead meaning that McGoldrick had to score, but unfortunately Grindlay went the right way & dived to his right to make the save.
Next up for Talbot is Monday night’s derby clash with Cumnock at Rosebank in the semi-final of the Evening Times Cup.

Beith – Grindlay, McArthur, Docherty, MacDonald, Sheridan, McGowan, Watt, Frize, McLean, Reid, Burke
Subs – Collins, Clark, McGregor

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, White, S Wilson, Young, Hyslop, G Wilson, Shankland, Milliken
Subs – Boyd, Love, Gillies, Johnstone