Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot



Report: Murray Steel, Photography: Craig McGhee. Media: Lee Conn.


Talbot’s unbeaten run ended at Loch Park as they paid the price for failing to turn pressure into goals.

The Bot got off to a shaky start and conceded a soft goal in the 7th minute. A long punt down the centre didn’t appear to offer much threat but KERR did well to out-muscle Slooves in the area and turned and fired high beyond Glavin to put the home side one up.

Talbot responded positively and had a half chance in the 13th minute. Smith played it wide to Schoneville who drilled a great ball across the face of goal but as was to become a pattern no one could get on the end of it.

In the 16th minute Schoneville combined with Boyd down the left to force a corner. Smith swept it beyond the far post where Armstrong guided a header back across goal which Rowe cleared out the goalmouth.

Talbot kept the pressure going and won a free kick in a good area when Smith knocked it past Rowe and was taken out inches wide of the penalty area. Smith took the free kick but got too much on it and curled it harmlessly behind for the goal kick.

The Bot’s luck was out in the 20th minute. Boyd slipped it wide left to Urquhart who whipped over a dangerous ball that Pettigrew threw out a leg at and deflected it just wide of the left post.

The chances kept coming and going and Talbot passed up a good chance to level in the 23rd minute. Abed went on a surging run down the right, hitting the bye line before cutting it back into the path of Slooves who met it 6 yards out but passed it at the keeper.

Two minutes later Talbot won another corner down the left. When Smith’s cross came in Markey did well to punch it clear of the area. It came out to Boyle 30 yards out and he hammered a shot on target but unfortunately it flew straight at Markey who parried it up into the air and gathered at the 2nd attempt.

It was all Talbot at this stage but the Bot again missed a gilt edged chance in the 32nd minute. McPherson’s pass found Abed in behind the defence on the left of the area but he scooped his shot over the bar from a good area.

The Bot’s next attack saw Abed feeding it on to Schoneville whose low driven ball into the near post caused problems but didn’t break Talbot’s way and was scrambled clear.

Having dominated proceedings since the early opener Talbot could have found themselves two adrift after 37 minutes. Talbot played it around at the back and when McPherson tried to beat Fraser he was robbed just inside his own box. Fraser looked sure to score but Glavin did well to make the stop.

Pettigrew picked up the night’s first caution after 38 mins when he was booked for dissent

In the 42nd minute Smith got away on the right and fired it low across the 6-yard area looking for Abed but Markey managed to cut it out.

The Glens had a half chance right at the end of the half when Talbot lost possession just outside the area but Crooks shot didn’t trouble Glavin and the Glens went in a goal ahead at the break.

Talbot started the 2nd half brightly and won a free kick 22 yards out in the 48th minute after Urquhart’s promising run forward was halted by a shirt pull. Schoneville took it and struck it well but Markey was in the right spot to tip it over his crossbar.

In the 51st minute Talbot did grab a leveller. Abed’s cross was blocked behind for a corner on the right. Smith’s first corner went into the near post for the run of Armstrong but the defence did well to beat him to it. The ball came back out to Smith and this time he curled a cross to the back post where NEIL SLOOVES glanced a header home to make it 1-1.

Within a minute of scoring Talbot were back on the front foot as Abed whipped in a good cross from the right that the Glens defence just managed to head clear

In the 53rd minute Talbot had a decent chance to take the lead. The ball broke to Smith on the right of the area and he fired it low on target but Markey managed to save it with his outstretched leg.

The Glens couldn’t clear their lines and Talbot switched the ball out right to find Smith in the area who fizzed a low ball across goal that only needed a touch but went a begging.

The Bot then had another good chance to take the lead. Abed’s neat flick sent it inside to Boyle who had a chance to go for goal from 12 yards but instead opted to square it across to Boyd who was crowded out in the centre.

In the 55th minute the home support were riled when O’Kane went down in the penalty area under Slooves’ challenge. There were loud appeals for a penalty but the ref waved play on.

The Glens were back on the attack in the 61st minute when Fraser took it wide of McPherson and knocked a dangerous ball to the back post which Slooves cleared.

Action then switched to the other end where Talbot had another chance to move in front. The ball came to Smith 16 yards out with Markey stranded off his line but the keeper came out on top – diving low to his left to save Smith’s effort.

The visiting fans were getting a feeling it wasn’t to be our night and this was underlined in the 72nd minute. Abed used his pace to get free on the right and cut it back to Smith who turned and fired but hit it wide from 8 yards.

Talbot won umpteen corners on the night, one of which came in the 73rd minute when Boyle hit over a good cross that was headed behind. The corner was played into the near post where a scramble ensued. The defence failed to clear their lines and it came to Slooves but he couldn’t get his shot away.

The Bot now made a triple substitution with Boyle, Urquhart & Smith making way for Wardrope, Langan & McAvoy.

In the 77th minute Talbot paid the price for their missed chances. Langan conceded a free kick 35 yards out which McMullin dinked over the defence to find KERR down the left and he angled it aross goal and beyond Glavin to put Glenafton 2-1 ahead.

Talbot looked for an immediate response and McAvoy got away wide right and cut it back across the box but there were no takers.

The Glens should have made the points safe in the 82nd minute. The ball was pulled back from the left bye line right into the path of Kerr but he pulled his shot wide of the far post.

Five minutes from time McPherson slid a pass through to Boyd on the right of the area. He fired it low toward the back post where again a touch was all that was needed but it flew wide and behind for the goal kick.

With 2 minutes remaining Talbot made their final change with Gillies on for Abed.

Deep into added time Talbot had one final attack. Wardrope gathered on the right edge of the penalty area and whipped a cross over to the back post which Markey managed to tip away and the Glens held out for the win.

A frustrating night for Talbot who played well for the most part and had the bulk of possession and chances but left with nothing to show for it.

Next up for Talbot it’s back to Beechwood this Saturday when they face Pollok in the semi-final of the West.

Glenafton Athletic – Markey, Holding, McMullin, Rowe, Pettigrew, McKee, Fraser, Crooks, Paton, O’Kane, Kerr

Subs – Sinnamon, McWaters, Ross, Caddis, Gilmour, Semple (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, McPherson, Schoneville, Slooves, Wilson, Armstrong, Urquhart, Boyle, Boyd, Smith, Abed

Subs – Kennedy, Wardrope, Gillies, Langan, McAvoy, Henry (gk)



Date Time Competition Season
April 2, 2024 19:30 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2023/24


Glenafton Athletic2
Auchinleck Talbot1

Glenafton Athletic

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
5Aiden WilsonDefender0000
7Ross Urquhart 12Midfielder0000
17Kyle McAvoy 10Forward0000
8Ali Boyle 14Midfielder0000
4Neil SloovesDefender1000
2Neill McPhersonDefender0000
6Gareth ArmstrongMidfielder0000
11Tarek Abed 15Midfielder0000
10Ross Smith 17Forward0010
12Michael Wardrope 7Midfielder0000
9Connor BoydForward0000
3Scott SchonevilleDefender0000
14Ruaridh Langan 8Midfielder0000
15Luke Gillies 11Defender0000
16Chris HenryGoalkeeper0000
1Aidan GlavinGoalkeeper0000
18Ryan KennedyForward0000
 Total 1010


Loch Park
7 Loch View, New Cumnock, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 4DJ, UK


Ross Birrell

League Table