Cambuslang Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot



Talbot negotiated a potential banana skin with surprising ease as they rediscovered their form to breeze past Cambuslang Rangers in the 1st round of the West of Scotland.
The 1st chance of the game fell to the home side in the 2nd minute. McCracken took a poor touch inside his own penalty area & the ball came out to Kilmartin on the right edge of the penalty area. He arrowed a shot for goal which was heading into the top corner until Leishman threw himself to his left to turn it round the post.
Having survived this early scare Talbot took the lead in the 6th minute. Cambuslang conceded a free kick out on the right which Shankland perfectly delivered into the centre where MILLIKEN guided a free header past Stewart.
Cambuslang’s central defence were posted missing in action again a few minutes later when Boyle climbed to meet Shankland’s corner from the right but his powerful header went straight at Stewart who clutched it under the bar.
Talbot’s next attack saw Graham Wilson attempt to float a ball into the path of Shankland on the left of the area but Gebbie did well to cut it out, heading it back to his keeper.
The home side had a good chance to level in the 21st minute. A slick passing move down the right ended with Kilmartin racing down the right of Talbot’s penalty area. He had the chance to shoot but instead chose to cut it back across the face of goal & with no takers in the centre Talbot were able to clear.
Talbot doubled their lead in the 26th minute. Shankland squared the ball across to Pope who had his heels clipped as he ran onto it. Shankland took the free kick & lifted the ball to the back post where Harvey headed it up into the air. Cambuslang failed to clear their lines & McCracken gathered on the right of the area & whipped a cross into the centre where GRAHAM WILSON nodded Talbot 2-0 in front.
It could’ve been game over in the 31st minute. White lifted the ball up the left to find Milliken & he held it up before rolling the ball inside to pick out the run of G Wilson but he knocked it wide of the right post.
Talbot were dictating play & came close to adding a 3rd in the 37th minute. Shankland dinked a great ball through the centre to split the home defence. Milliken ran onto it & checked back, creating
space for the shot but Stewart managed to block his low drive from 15 yards.
Cambuslang hadn’t created much but they almost pulled a goal back in the 40th minute. Boyle had a chance to clear it but failed to take it & Simeon bundled his way through one on one with Leishman who made the block. The ball spun out to Bohme on the right & his effort at goal was deflected behind for a corner.
Talbot rode out Cambuslang’s late pressure to go in two goals ahead at the interval.
There were no changes at the interval but it didn’t take long into the 2nd period before Cambuslang decided it wasn’t working, with Boylan replacing Macleod out wide.
Gebbie made a crucial interception to thwart Talbot’s next attack. Graham Wilson got free down the right & drilled a dangerous low ball across the face of goal that Gebbie intercepted with Milliken waiting to pounce in front of goal.
The result was put beyond a doubt in the 56th minute when Talbot went 3-0 ahead. Shankland passed it through the centre of the Lang defence to send MILLIKEN racing through on goal and he kept his head & to prod it past the advancing Stewart.
Cambuslang needed a goal back quickly & Bohme tried his best to throw them a lifeline when he struck the ball on target from 20 yards but Leishman dived to his left to make the stop.
Both sides decided to ring the changes with Talbot going first as Hyslop came on in midfield in place of Steven Wilson with Cambuslang then responding by replacing Bohme with Hendry. The spate of substitutions ended with Stevenson coming on for Milliken.
Macbeth had his name taken in the 73rd minute for a trip outside the area. Shankland flighted the ball across goal where Hyslop just failed to connect with his head to extend Talbot’s lead.
Tucker now completed the Talbot’s changes with Pooler coming on for Shankland.
Talbot might have moved further ahead in the 79th minute. McCracken surged into the area down the left & cut it back across goal. It came to Pooler 6 yards out but it got stuck between his feet & the chance was lost.
If any side looked like scoring it was Talbot and the Bot threatened again with 10 minutes remaining. Stevenson’s cross from the right was only cleared out as far as Pope & his shot looked to be travelling on target until blocked by Kerr.
As the game moved into injury time Boylan picked up a caution for a late tackle on McCracken just outside the area. McCracken took the free kick himself & lifted a shot just over Stewart’s bar.
This was a morale boosting win for Talbot who will now look to maintain their form when they travel to Annbank next Saturday in the Scottish.

Cambuslang Rangers – Stewart, Gebbie, Halliday, Kerr, Bishop, Macbeth, Bohme, Simeon, Gormley, Kilmartin, Macleod

Subs – Boylan, Chalmers, Hendry, Nolan, Brand (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, Boyle, McCracken, White, S Wilson, G Wilson, Shankland, Milliken

Subs – Hyslop, Stevenson, Young, McPherson, Pooler

From a Shankland free-kick, Milliken opens the scoring by getting his head to the ball and fires it into the far corner of the net. 0-1.
‘High five time’, as Danny Boyle congratulates Keir for the opening goal.
After a poor clearance by Cambuslang, Milliken crosses the ball back into the box and Graham Wilson sends a powerful header straight into the back of the net. 0-2.
Keir Milliken races into the box and although he is challenged by the defender and ‘keeper, he still manages to chip the ball over the danger and into the back of the net. 0-3.
So it’s a brace for Milliken and a congratulatory embrace from Shankland and ‘G’.
Boyle jumps the highest and heads the ball towards goal.
From outside the box, McCracken fires in a decent shot.
Andy Leishman is called into action, as he pulls off a great save to thwart Rangers.
A spectacular volley from Gordon Pope but unfortunately, it goes high over the bar.
Steven Wilson gets challenged from both sides by the Cambuslang defence.
Although the Rangers defender manages to win the ball, he takes a real sore one, as he ‘clatters’ into Mark Shankland.
McCracken shrugs off the defender in order to go on a big run up the park.
Wilson clears the ball back down the park.
As the Black ‘n’ Gold faithful look on, Hyslop tries to win the ball back for Talbot.
Dylan Pooler races into the opposition’s box.
Talbot captain, Wullie Lyle, passes on orders to Danny Boyle. Photographs by Paul Flynn.



Date Time Season
October 15, 2016 14:00 2016/17


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Cambuslang Rangers000
Auchinleck Talbot213

Cambuslang Rangers

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
6Steven WhiteMidfielder0000
9Mark Shankland 15Forward0200
10Graham WilsonForward1000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
8Craig McCrackenDefender0100
 Total 1300



League Table