Lochee United v Auchinleck Talbot




A late goal blitz put Talbot firmly in command of this Scottish Semi-final as the Bot emerged 4-1 winners at Thomson Park over an out-played & out-fought Lochee United.
It didn’t take Talbot long to get into their stride & it was the Bot who were first to threaten. Glasgow played a one-two with Graham Wilson before driving into the box & D Millar did well to nip across to slide it out for a corner.
The first shot at goal came after 10 minutes. Hyslop headed Leishman’s ball down the right to find Samson breaking forward & he hit it early; firing on target from 20 yards but without any power to trouble the Lochee keeper.
Two minutes later Samson’s pace won Talbot the first of their numerous corners. Glasgow’s ball in came back out to him & his 2nd attempt had to be batted away by Millar under his crossbar.
Talbot came close to taking the lead after 14 minutes. The Bot forced a couple of corners in quick succession & when Glasgow’s 2nd delivery came over it found Pope in space beyond the far post. He fired it back across goal where Graham Wilson side-footed on target only for Webster to clear it off the line.
Lochee had offered very little but they were given an opportunity to test the Bot defence in the 18th minute when they won a free kick out on the right. Cameron whipped the ball into the goal mouth where Leishman came to punch it clear.
The referee made a howler in the 21st minute when he seemed to be the only one in the park who didn’t notice Lochee’s keeper, Millar, clean out Samson as he burst into the box. It looked as stonewall as penalties go but to the ire of the Talbot support & astonishment of the Lochee bench the referee awarded a goal kick.
Four minutes later Samson was brought down again when he was clipped by Kirk. This time it was just outside the area & the ref had no problem spotting it. Glasgow took the free kick & fired it up & over the wall but it curled just over the bar.
Talbot were back on the attack in the 27th minute. Leishman bowled it out to Pope & he sent it down the line to find Glasgow racing up the wing. He fired a good low ball into the centre which Millar did well to cut out at his near post.
It was pretty much all Talbot at this stage & Graham Wilson had a half chance in the 32nd minute when Hyslop headed the ball down to him inside the area but he didn’t catch his shot cleanly.
Talbot got a fright in the 34th minute when a ball was clipped over the top to find Birse bursting down the left of the penalty area. Leishman read it & was quickly off his line to challenge him & McCracken knocked it behind for a corner.
With 38 mins gone it was like a scene from a horror flick when Cameron received a head wound that left him looking like a survivor in a zombie movie. It looked as though he’d run his race but despite the gore, he was back into the fray a few minutes later after being patched up.
Talbot came close to breaking the deadlock in the 40th minute. Glasgow’s cross was met by McCracken who dived to head it back across goal where Hyslop flashed a header just wide of the right post.
Three minutes before the interval Lochee had a chance to snatch the lead against the run of play. They were awarded a free kick out on the right that Kirk delivered to the far post. Kenneth won the header back across where it came to Birse 8 yards out but fortunately for Talbot it wouldn’t sit down for him & Pope was able to hook it clear before he could get a shot away.
And so in a re-run of last year’s clash at Thomson park the sides went in goal less after a 1st half dominated by Talbot.
Talbot came out all guns blazing at the start of the 2nd half and put the home side under pressure.
McCracken had a chance to put Talbot ahead in the 49th minute when he met Glasgow’s corner from the left at the back post but he didn’t make a clean contact & sent it wide from close range.
Two minutes later Talbot won another corner down the left when Samson raced into the box only for Millar to put it behind. Once again Glasgow delivered it to the far post and this time Hyslop met it but his header was blocked in a crowded goalmouth.
The pressure was building & Samson sent Glasgow racing free down the left & his cut back had the defence scrambling. They cleared it but only back out to Glasgow who won a corner down the left. Glasgow whipped it to the back post where Hyslop headed it back across goal & GRAHAM WILSON bundled it home from close range to give Talbot a deserved lead with 55 mins gone.
Kenneth received a yellow card in the aftermath of the goal for dissent.
Around the hour mark Cameron had to leave the field for the 2nd time when his head wound started bleeding again but once again they carried out emergency repairs & he returned to the action.
Lochee pushed men forward looking for a way back into it but had little to show for it as they were unable to breach the Talbot defence or test Leishman.
Tucker made a double substitution with 20 mins remaining; Kemp & McIlroy coming on for Samson and Graham Wilson.
Within 3 minutes of coming on McIlroy had a half chance to put Talbot further ahead. Glasgow pinged a ball down the left that eluded Kenneth & found McIlroy racing onto the end of it but Webster did well to get across & nick it off his toes.
A minute later though and Talbot doubled their lead with a well worked goal. McIlroy slid a great pass down the right to find Lyle on the overlap & he cut it back into the path of DWAYNE HYSLOP who chipped it into the net.
With quarter of an hour remaining Glasgow had his name taken for a trip out on the right and Tucker threw on his last sub; Armstrong coming on for White.
In the 78th minute Lochee made their one and only change when Cameron was replaced by Deasley.
The home side looked like they’d been thrown a lifeline in the 82nd minute when they pulled a goal back. McNally lifted over a dangerous cross from the left that went beyond Pope at the back post. Deasley headed it back across goal where BIRSE touched it home from close range.
Any ideas Lochee had of a comeback were short-lived however as Talbot restored their two goal cushion within a minute. The Bot won a free kick on the left that Pope angled into the area. McCracken’s header back across goal was brilliantly saved by Millar but he could do nothing to prevent STEPHEN WILSON from slotting the rebound home to put Talbot 3-1 ahead.
Two minutes later and McIlroy nearly added a fourth. Armstrong lifted a ball down the centre & McIlroy shrugged off the challenge of Kirk inside the area before drilling a low shot just wide of the left post with the keeper rooted.
In the final minute of regulation time Talbot capped a great performance with a fourth goal. Leishman launched it down the centre where Kemp challenged for it inside the area. The ball broke back to SEAN MCILROY whose first attempt was blocked but it came back to him and he rammed a low drive past Millar to make it 4-1.
As the game slipped into injury time the Lochee keeper was called into action one final time when he had to stretch up to tip Pope’s free kick over the crossbar.
This game bucked the trend of tight low scoring affairs in 1st legs and Talbot are now in an incredibly strong position going into next Saturday’s decider at Beechwood where Talbot will be short odds favourites to make it to their third consecutive Junior cup final.Lochee United – J Millar, D Millar, Kenneth, Kirk, Webster, Cameron, Ritchie, Lawson, McNally, McComiskie, Birse

Subs – Deasley, Davie, McDonald, Cavanagh

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, Stephen Wilson, Hyslop, White, Graham Wilson, Glasgow, Samson

Subs – McIlroy, Kemp, Armstrong, McDowall, Shankland




Date Time Competition Season
March 30, 2019 14:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2018/19


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Lochee United011
Auchinleck Talbot044

Lochee United

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Keir Samson 12Forward0000
5Neill McPhersonDefender0000
4Craig McCrackenDefender0000
9Graham Wilson 14Forward1000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
15Gareth Armstrong 6Defender0000
 Total 1000



League Table