Auchinleck Talbot v Largs Thistle



Photographs by Paul Flynn.


Talbot are becoming specialists at 1-0 wins as they beat Largs by the only goal of the game at Beechwood to narrow the gap to Hurlford to 4 points.
There was little goal mouth action to keep the fans occupied with the first chance of the game coming Largs way after ten minutes. A corner from the right was headed clear by Hyslop and came out to Muir at the left edge of the box where he steered a volley just wide of Leishman’s left post.
Talbot’s first threatening attack came in the 19th minute. Armstrong & Lyle worked a one-two down the right that sent Lyle racing through on the right side of the penalty area. He cut it back across goal to McIlroy 15 yards out but he took a touch rather than hitting it 1st time was quickly closed down & the chance was gone.
The visitors won a corner in the 24th minute when Pope headed Sewell’s cross behind. Once again Talbot managed to head it clear but again it came to Muir whose shot from 18 yards was deflected wide. When the corner was lifted across the face Leishman came to claim it but misjudged it and the ball sailed beyond him but was booted clear at the back post.
The remainder of the half was forgettable fare & it wasn’t until the closing minutes of the half that Talbot upped their game & began to exert some pressure. In the 43rd minute Lyle’s pass found Armstrong breaking forward & he slid it out right to Samson who fired it low across goal and just wide of the right post and so the half ended without either keeper being tested.
The 2nd half could only be an improvement & Talbot did look sharper after the break. In the 52nd minute Talbot won a corner down the right when Sewell headed Leishman’s kick behind. The corner was delivered right across the area and came to Pope who drilled a low ball back across goal. It landed at McIlroy 6 yards out but he couldn’t get it out his feet in time and his effort was blocked. The ball spun back to Armstrong who drilled a low shot on target that Lundy held at his left post.
Largs made a change after 54 minutes with Struthers on in place of Adam.
Orr had his name taken in the 59th minute when he swiped the feet from Samson after he’d side-stepped him resulting in a free kick 30 yards out. Pope took it & fired around the wall but wide of Lundy’s left hand post.
Talbot’s next chance came in the 64th minute. Armstrong’s header sailed over the defence to find McIlroy racing forward. He might have kept going but instead opted to hit it early and fired over the bar on the half volley from 20 yards.
Tucker made his first change in the 67th minute when Shankland came on for McDowall.
There were loud penalty appeals in the 71st minute when Sewell appeared to use his arm to control the ball whilst trying to carry the ball forward inside his penalty area but the referee blanked them out.
The turning point came in the 78th minute. Orr barged into the back of Samson and the ref produced a 2nd yellow card and Orr made the short trip to the clubhouse. Shankland took the resultant free kick and swung it beyond the far post where Pope headed it back across goal for SEAN MCILROY to prod home from close range.
With 5 minutes remaining Shankland played it into the feet of McIlroy in the centre. He did well to roll his marker but blasted his shot well over from 18 yards.
Talbot now made a further change with Kemp coming on for Samson.
Struthers now had his name taken for a foul on McCracken.
Leishman had very little to do all afternoon but was called into action in the 87th minute. Muir fed it out wide right to find Carter on the overlap and he drilled a low ball in that Leishman gathered inside his near post.
In the final minute of regulation time Talbot had two efforts at goal in quick succession. Firstly, McIlroy hooked the ball out right to find Armstrong racing through and Lundy parried his shot away. Talbot kept the pressure on and Shankland gathered on the left of the area before firing a shot on goal that Lundy blocked.
Talbot now made their final change with Waite on for McIlroy.
As the game moved deep into injury time Largs had one final chance to snatch a share of the points. A long diagonal ball found Black in space out on the left and he cut it back into the path of Struthers 20 yards out but he ballooned his shot.
A case of job done for Talbot who whilst nowhere near their best will be happy with another clean sheet and 3 points. Next up for Talbot it’s a Monday night visit to Cambuslang Rangers followed by a mid-week trip to Troon as the league games come thick & fast.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, White, Hyslop, McIlroy, Samson, McDowall

Subs – Shankland, Glasgow, Kemp, Waite, Harvey

Largs Thistle – Lundy, Faulds, Sewell, Orr, Little, Fleming, McKie, Muir, Adam, Carter, Black

Subs – Struthers, George, Besley, Jameson, McGowan (gk)



Date Time Season
May 11, 2019 14:00 2018/19


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot011
Largs Thistle000

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Keir Samson 15Forward0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
12Mark Shankland 7Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
11Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
 Total 1000

Largs Thistle

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table