Auchinleck Talbot v Kilwinning Rangers



Talbot will face Lesmahagow for the first silverware of the season after defeating Kilwinning 2-1 at Beechwood in the Sectional cup semi-final.

Tucker made a few changes to the starting eleven but they had no advers effect on Talbot’s performance as they continued their winning run.
The Bot made the perfect start, taking an early lead in the 4th minute. Glasgow skipped past Maitland & fired a low ball across the face of goal. It was cleared but came out to Pope who swept a cross to the back post where GARETH ARMSTRONG bulleted a header past Strain.
A promising Talbot break ended in nought in the 7th minute. Stephen Wilson raced through the midfield & tried to release Kemp in behind the defence but his pass was intercepted by Maitland.
Kilwinning ought to have equalised in the 8th minute. Talbot’s defence were caught square as Monti ran onto a ball in behind. He was through one on one with Leishman but tried to pass it into the net & Leishman made the stop.
A minute later Talbot had a half chance down the other end. Glasgow raced to the bye line & lifted a cross to the far post where McCracken headed over the bar.
The game was flowing from end to end & the Buffs threatened the Bot goal in the 12th minute. Monti got free down the right & slung a cross beyond the back post where Nisbet’s shot was deflected just wide of the right post.
Talbot’s next attack saw the Bot force a corner down the right. The defence failed to clear Glasgow’s corner & it wound its way to Kemp near the bye line. He chipped it across goal to the back post but it was well defended & the ball cleared.
Kilwinning drew level in the 21st minute. Monti’s cross found LEWIS in space at the back post & he fired an unstoppable volley past Leishman to make it 1-1.
The visitors won a free kick just outside the Bot box in the 26th minute when Monti fell over under McPherson’s challenge. Monti took the set piece but it rose harmlessly over the bar.
Two minutes later Talbot won a free kick down the right by the corner flag after a needless foul by McCloskey. Glasgow whipped it into the near post but the Buffs defence were able to clear.
Kemp had a half chance on the half hour mark. McIlroy curled a cross over from the left & Kemp met it in the centre, heading wide of target & taking a facial knock in the process. Kilwinning’s Whyte also received a head knock in the same incident & had to be bandaged up before continuing.
Harvey found himself in the book in the 38th minute for what looked to be a hard but fair tackle on Monti who managed to survive the experience despite out-rolling Jurgen Klinsman.
Three minutes before the interval Talbot came close to regaining the lead. Lyle intercepted a pass & released it to Kemp inside the Buffs half. He drove for the penalty area before firing a low shot that flew just wide of Strain’s right post.
The final attack of the half went Kilwinning’s way. Maitland dispossessed Glasgow out by the stand side touchline & floated it up the line for Monti. He cut into the area past McPherson & drilled a dangerous low ball across goal but there were no takers and so the sides went in level at the break.
The 2nd half got off to a scrappy start and it took only the 52nd minute before either side could apply any pressure. Pope lifted a free kick up the left for Glasgow to chase & he forced a corner. Glasgow whipped the corner into the near post where McIlroy just failed to connect with it.
Two minutes later Talbot looked to be on the wrong end of a dodgy offside call. Glasgow slid a pass through to send McIlroy through on the keeper only for the linesman to flag for a highly dubious offside call.
Talbot ought to have moved ahead in the 55th minute. Kemp won a corner on the left & the Buffs defence couldn’t cope with Glasgow’s delivery. The ball came to Harvey in space 6 yards out but he mishit his effort & trundled a tame shot straight at the keeper.
Pettigrew had his name taken in the 57th minute when he unceremoniously halted Stephen Wilson’s burst forward and the Bot were awarded a free kick 22 yards out. Kemp took it but shot straight into the wall.
On the hour mark Talbot managed to get in behind the Buffs rearguard. Armstrong squared it to Stephen Wilson whose slide pass found Glasgow in space on the left. He could have wen t for the shot but instead opted to play it across the 6-yard area but unfortunately there was no one to take advantage.
At the other end, Talbot had a scare in the 63rd minute when Strain’s long ball downfield found Monti on the right edge of the penalty area. He held off the challenge of Harvey & turned before firing across goal & narrowly past Leishman’s right post.
A minute later the visitors had another opportunity. Leishman had to race out of goals to beat Nisbet to a short header back to him. He managed to clear it but the ball came straight out to Lewis 40 yards from goal. He tried to lash it home from long range whilst Leishman was stranded but sent it well wide.
The crucial goal came in the 65th minute. Maitland received a caution for up-ending Glasgow 25 yards from goal. Before the free kick could be taken Tucker made a double substitution with Shankland & Graham Wilson coming on for McIlroy & Kemp. This proved to be an inspired switch as MARK SHANKLAND’S first involvement was to strike the free kick round the wall & off the inside of the right post. It cannoned across the goal line & hit off Strain before ending in the far corner of the net.
Kilwinning made their 1st change in the 69th minute with Curragh on in place of McGuinness.
Stephen Wilson picked up a caution in the 70th minute for a late challenge on Pettigrew.
Talbot had a chance to kill the tie off with quarter of an hour remaining. Graham Wilson’s header on sent Glasgow free on the left side of the box. He cut in on his right foot but lifted his shot over the bar from 15 yards.
Two minutes later Kilwinning had a chance to level. Talbot failed to clear a ball inside the area & it came to Nisbet in space on the left. He had men over inside the 6-yard area but opted for power & blazed a shot over the bar from a good area.
A minute later Nisbet squandered an even clearer chance. He latched onto a pass inside the box & took it wide of Leishman but from a tight angle he failed to hit the empty net; sending his shot into the side-netting.
The visitors should have played out the closing stages a man down when Maitland was guilty of a blatant trip but when the ref pulled him over he seemed to recall he’d already booked him & bottled out of the decision; contenting himself with issuing a lecture.
With 9 minutes remaining Talbot had another chance to extend their lead. Graham Wilson sent Shankland through on the keeper but Strain did enough to force him out wide. Shankland swung a good bal over to the far post but there was no Talbot player there to knock it home.
Pope received a caution in the 83rd minute for a foul on Monti.
As the game entered the closing stages Talbot passed up two golden chances to put the tie to bed.
In the 87th minute Armstrong showed quick feet & determination to evade a couple of challenges and make it to the bye line. He crossed the ball beyond the far post where Shankland hooked it back across goal. Graham Wilson met it in the centre but headed over the bar from 6 yards out.
Graham Wilson had another chance to get on the score sheet in the 1st minute of injury time. Glasgow broke free down the right & pulled it back for Graham Wilson who was in space 8 yards out but his low drive was too close to Strain.
Deep into injury time Tucker was forced into a late change when Glasgow had to be helped from the field with Hyslop entering the fray but he was barely on before the final whistle blew.
This cup tie was a good advert for the Junior grade, highly competitive with plenty of chances at both ends and some good goals. Next up for Talbot it is the senior Scottish cup where Wigton & Badnoch stand in the way of Talbot qualifying for the 1st round proper.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McPherson, Armstrong, Stephen Wilson, McCracken, McIlroy, Kemp, Glasgow

Subs – Graham Wilson, Shankland, Waite, Hyslop, White

Kilwinning Rangers – Strain, Maitland, McCloskey, Pettigrew, Whyte, McGuinness, Monti, Fleming, Nisbet, Lewis, McKenzie

Subs – Curragh, Hill, Reid, Wardrope, Keifer (gk)


Date Time Season
August 29, 2018 18:30 2018/19


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot112
Kilwinning Rangers101

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
8Gareth ArmstrongDefender1000
5Neill McPhersonDefender0000
6Craig McCrackenDefender0000
12Graham Wilson 9Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
14Mark Shankland 11Forward1000
 Total 2000

Kilwinning Rangers

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Calum Scott

League Table