Auchinleck Talbot v Irvine Meadow




A failure to turn pressure into goals came back to haunt Talbot as they were held to a draw at Beechwood by Irvine Meadow.

The visitors made very few chances overall but did have the first one of the night. They won a free kick out on the right after 6 mins that Willet crossed into the centre where Sharpe headed well over the bar from 6 yards out.

Talbot’s first dangerous attack came in the 9th minute. Hyslop headed on to send Samson free on the right. He raced past Willet & drilled it across the area but McLennan did well to cut it out.

McCracken had a chance to put Talbot ahead in the 20th minute when he met Kemp’s corner from the right but sent his header wide of Newman’s left post.

Two minutes later and Talbot’s next chance also fell McCracken’s way. Pope found Samson out on the wing & his cut back broke to McCracken who saw his shot blocked behind by Newman.

Talbot took the lead in the 25th minute. Hyslop climbed well to meet a ball up the left & head it on into the area where Keir Samson surged clear. He prodded a shot at the advancing keeper that Newman blocked but it cannoned off one of his own defenders and trundled in for an own goal to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.

It was Talbot doing all the pressing but without really looking like scoring. In the 37th minute Lyle burst into the area and hit a decent effort at goal that Carson deflected behind for a corner.

Two minutes later Hyslop had a chance to double Talbot’s lead. Samson won a corner on the left and when Kemp’s cross came over Hyslop glanced a header wide of Newman’s left post.

The Bot had one final chance right on the cusp of half time. Kemp out muscled Latta on the left of the area and made it to the bye line before cutting the ball back across goal but McIlroy just failed to connect in front of goal and Talbot went in one up at the interval.

The first chance of the 2nd half came Talbot’s way after 54 minutes when Samson made a strong run down the left. As the defence backed off he raced into the penalty area but pulled his shot well wide of the far post.

Two minutes later Talbot won a free kick out on the left following Pearson’s clumsy challenge on Samson. The ball was crossed into the box where Armstrong headed it back across the area. It fell for McCracken who drilled a low shot on goal that Newman spilled; however, the defence reacted 1st to scramble it away.

Around the hour mark both sides made changes. Firstly Meadow brought Paterson on for Spence and then Tucker made a switch with McDowall replacing Samson.

McDowall nearly made an immediate impact. When Stephen Wilson lifted a cross in from the right he beat Newman to it in the air but lifted his header over the crossbar.

Leishman hadn’t been involved up to this point but was called into action in the 63rd minute. Meadow were awarded a free kick just inside the Bot half that Willet swept into the goal mouth where Leishman met it to punch it to safety.

McGurk had his name taken in the 65th minute when he clipped McPherson’s heels as the Bot defender raced forward.

In the 69th minute Talbot made a further change when Glasgow came on for Kemp.

The sub was involved in Talbot’s next attack when Pope slid a pass through to him down the left. Glasgow’s pace took him past Carson before he fired a cross cum shot from a tight angle that clipped the top of the bar on its way over.

Meadow had a half chance in the 74th minute. Hyslop lost the ball 30 yards out & the visitors played it quickly to Pearson on the right. He laid it inside to McGurk who steered a tame shot straight at Leishman.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot passed up a golden chance to kill the game off. Hyslop rose to meet a hanging cross and his header floated into the path of Glasgow 4 yards out but he hit Newman from point blank range.

Meadow now made a further change with Jones replacing Woods.

In the 79th minute Newman produced a good stop at one end before Meadow went straight up the other and grabbed an unlikely equaliser. Glasgow’s shot from the left of the area was swinging away from the Meadow keeper who did well to make the stop. Play then switched up to the other end where Sharpe’s ball sent JONES racing through on the left and he slotted it past Leishman to make it 1-1.

Talbot pushed forward and Pope tested the keeper in the 81st minute when he drilled a shot from 25 yards. It took a slight deflection en route and Newman parried it behind for the corner. When the corner came over to the back post it hit off McCracken & went just wide of the left post.

For the remainder of the match Talbot huffed & puffed, piling men forward looking for a winner but couldn’t find a way past a resolute Meadow defence.

Next up for Talbot is Saturday’s West of Scotland quarter-final where they host Carluke.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Stephen Wilson, Hyslop, McIlroy, Kemp, Samson

Subs – McDowall, Graham Wilson, Glasgow, Waite, White

Irvine Meadow – Newman, Latta, Willet, McLennan, Groves, Spence, Pearson, Carson, Sharpe, McGurk, Woods

Subs – Paterson, Jones, Wells, McFarlane, Bannister


Date Time Season
April 17, 2019 18:30 2018/19


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot101
Irvine Meadow011

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
10Keir Samson 12Forward0000
6Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
15Graham Wilson 9Forward0000
 Total 1000

Irvine Meadow

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table