Petershill vs Auchinleck Talbot



Talbot’s visits to Petershill rarely produce good football and this was no exception to the rule as Talbot stumbled past a toothless home side to secure a place in the 2nd round of the West.
Just as last week, Talbot made the perfect start, opening the scoring within a minute. Two Peasies defenders went for the same ball and it spun to Wilson. He quickly lobbed the ball through to GILLIES on the left and his half volley squirmed through the grasp of Maltoni at his near post.
The Peasies keeper atoned somewhat for that blunder in the 6th minute when he produced a top save to prevent Talbot doubling their lead. Pope’s cross into the area found Young in space and he headed it back across goal, only for Maltoni to dive to his right to tip it away.
Gillies nearly added a second in the 13th minute. Hyslop powered a header through the middle which Gillies ran onto before lashing a first time shot narrowly over the bar with the keeper well beaten.
Petershill had offered nothing going forward but they almost equalised in the 21st minute. Daly met Bradley’s deep cross and headed it back down into the path of Craig who drilled a shot beyond Leishman that came back off the right hand post.
Hyslop then tried his luck from distance, cutting inside onto his left foot and firing just over the bar from 25 yards.
Daly became the 1st player in the book when penalised for sarcastically applauding the referee when awarded a free kick.
Maltoni produced another good stop in the 35th minute. Milliken beat F Chisholm in the air to nod it on for Wilson and he cracked a powerful drive on target that Maltoni punched over the bar. The referee then produced a yellow card for F Chisholm for his earlier late barge into Milliken.
The home keeper was called into action again in the 38th minute when Pope’s corner from the left found Gillies clear at the back post and Maltoni had to tip his header over the bar.
Hyslop had his name taken in the 42nd minute for a late challenge on Shields who certainly made the most of it to the ire of the visiting support. The half wound to a close without further incident and Talbot trooped off a goal to the good.
The 1st half hadn’t offered much by way of good football, with the ball careening around like a pinball, and fouls every other minute, but as it turned out it was the high point of the match, as the 2nd half was largely a non-event.
The 1st chance of the 2nd half, and the only real clear cut chance the Peasies had all game, came in the 53rd minute. Craig lofted a free kick out to the left where Stevenson headed it across into the middle. It came to Daly who steered a low shot on target that Leishman blocked with his leg.
Talbot were struggling to get going after the interval and it took until the 63rd minute before the first effort at goal when Young drove a shot wide of the right post from just outside the box.
Before hitting the shot, Young had been impeded by Shields and the referee booked the Peasies player for an accumulation of offences.
Petershill had a half chance in the 65th minute. Kennedy met a shy from the right at the edge of the area but under pressure could only stab a 1st time shot on target that was easily held by Leishman.
Petershill now made a change with Daw on for Shields and Talbot responded by bringing Shankland on for Gillies.
Brough was fortunate to escape a caution after 72 mins when he flattened Young with a late challenge.
Talbot made a double switch in the 74th minute with Stephen Wilson & Love coming on in place of Graham Wilson & Young.
Stevenson produced a decent effort from distance in the 77th minute that sped wide of the left post.
The Peasies played their last cards in the 80th minute with Lafferty & Davidson replacing McLean & Stevenson.
Although there was only one goal in it the home side never really looked like forcing penalties and with a minute remaining Love ought to have wrapped it up for Talbot. Pope’s header found Shankland in space on the left & he centred it for Love who raced through on the keeper but slotted his shot the wrong side of the right hand post.
Petershill were reduced to 10 men in the 90th minute when F Chisholm swiped out at Love and the ref produced a 2nd yellow for the Peasies right-back.
Deep into injury time Talbot had one final chance. A shy was thrown in behind the defence to find Love on the left of the penalty area. He tried to bury it in the far corner but pulled his shot across goal and wide of target.
This was a forgettable 90 minutes but Talbot got the job done and move on to next week’s league match where they face a trip to Barrhead to face Arthurlie, who always make it difficult at Dunterlie.

Petershill – Maltoni, F Chisholm, Bradley, J Chisholm, Brough, Kennedy, McLean, Stevenson, Daly, Craig, Shields

Subs – Daw, McGhee, Hynes, Lafferty, Davidson

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, White, Latta, Young, Hyslop, G Wilson, Gillies, Millliken

Subs – Shankland, Love, S Wilson, Cochrane, Campbell

Read more:



Date Time Season
October 10, 2015 14:00 2015/16


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot101


Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
Graham Wilson Forward0000
Mark Shankland Forward0000
Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
 Total 1000


Petershill Park
57 Midton St, Glasgow, Glasgow City G21 4RS, UK

League Table