Largs Thistle v Auchinleck Talbot



The Largs ‘keeper fails to stop ‘shankers’ from opening the scoring via a low strike from the edge of the box. 0-1.


Jamie Glasgow doubles Talbot’s lead after racing into the box and firing the ball home. 0-2.


Jamie wheels away to receive the high fives after scoring.


Stephen Wilson chases after the ball but gets beaten to it by the ‘keeper.


Gordon looks on, as ‘Big Neily’ winces in pain after getting injured during the game.


Gareth Armstrong expertly chips the ball over the Largs defence after racing upthe middle of the park.


It’s two for Glasgow and three for Talbot, as Jamie heads the ball into the back of the net. 0-3.


Largs pull a goal back from a corner, as they find space for a free header. 1-3.


The Largs ‘keeper can only watch, as Mark Shankland’s cross-come-shot sails over him and smashes into the back of the net. 1-4.


‘Shankers’ is all smiles, as he’s congratulated by his team-mates after scoring.


Dylan Young rises the highest to head the ball away.


‘Gee’ does his best to fend off this challenge.


Stephen Wilson makes sure he keeps hold of the ball in this challenge.


Aiden Wilson goes for an awkward header but sends the ball wayward of the goal.


Gordon Pope finds space at the back post but he can only head the ball into the side netting.


Another chance for Talbot from inside the box.


Jamie is left with his hands on his head, as he rues a missed opportunity.


Graham tries to motor down the wing but, instead, gets stopped in his tracks by this sliding tackle.


Jamie Glasgow does his best to break free from this rugby tackle from Largs.


Big Andy comfortably gathers the ball while under pressure.


Largs score a ‘last kick of the ball’ consolation goal, as they net their third goal of the game from the spot. 3-4.


A big thank you to Largs for putting on the best Half-Time Show in the league.



Talbot were the definite saints and sinners in this league encounter where they went from 4-1 up only to leave Barrfields with the narrowest of wins, although it was a valuable three points at a ground where today’s visitors tasted defeat. A decent crowd had gathered in the sun which was remarkable as the match clashed with the Vikingar Festival which provided a free air show during the half time interval.

Talbot who were playing in all blue took the lead as early as the 12th minute when a Willie Lyle cross was laid off by Graham Wilson into the path of Jamie Glasgow who’s shot was deflected into the path of Gareth Armstrong who set up Mark Shankland to pass the ball into the net.

Ten minutes later Talbot were 2-0 in front when the Talbot defense broke up a Largs attack where the ball was passed out to Stephen Wilson who’s slide rule ball up the wing was pounced on by Glasgow who out muscled his marker and although under pressure as he made his way into the box he kept a cool head and struck the ball past past Lundy the home keeper and into the net.

Talbot were three up on 39 minutes when Stephen Wilson collected the ball outside the Largs box where he picked out Mark Shankland who’s pinpoint cross was headed into the net by the unmarked Glasgow.

Talbot were still trying to sort out their defense after losing Neil McPherson to a hamstring injury and replacing him with Aiden Wilson when Largs struck. They had forced a corner on 44 minutes which McBryde dropped into the six yard box and was missed by the Talbot defence where George Sewell nodded past Leishman to fling the home side a lifeline.

The second half was three minutes started when Talbot made it 4-1 after S.Wilson and Shankland harried a defender into a poor clearance which Steven White passed into the feet of Shankland and his cross flew over the head of Lundy and into the net.

Near the hour mark the home side were back in the game when a speculative ball was lobbed into the box where Young got his head to it but seemed to be barged and the ball fel into no man’s land between Lyle and Leishman where Brophy pounced to tap the ball into the net.

In the final minute Largs got their third thanks to a clumsy penalty given away by Dillon Young. With the attacker be forced wide of the goals by Young he seemed to stumble on top of his opponent forcing a penalty which Jamie McKenna hammered past Leishman.


Date Time Season
September 7, 2019 14:00 2019/20


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Largs Thistle123
Auchinleck Talbot314

Largs Thistle

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
12Aiden Wilson 4Defender0000
14Kieran Healy 6Midfielder0000
10Jamie GlasgowMidfielder2000
7Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
4Neill McPherson 12Defender0000
9Graham WilsonForward0000
6Steven White 14Midfielder0000
11Mark ShanklandForward2000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
 Total 4000


Barrfield Stadium
44A Brisbane St, Largs KA30 8QN, UK

League Table