Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot



Talbot fans enjoyed the sunshine but not the result as the Bot slumped to their 2nd successive defeat; losing 3-1 to Glenafton at Loch Park.
The 1st chance of the match came Talbot’s way. Wilson beat Menzies in the air to nod it into the box where McChesney could only partially clear it. The ball came out to Hyslop 16 yards out but he fired over the crossbar.
The Glens threatened in turn after 10 minutes. McChesney’s deep cross found Orsi in space & he headed it back across goal where Park hooked a shot over.
Play then switched straight to the other end when Meikle headed Leishman’s lengthy clearance behind for a corner. Young delivered the corner to the far post where McChesney headed it off the line.
A couple of minutes later Wilson won a corner off Menzies down the left. Once again Young delivered a good ball to the back post where Boyle got on the end of it but couldn’t direct it on target under pressure.
So far so good, but then with quarter of an hour gone Talbot conceded a cheap opener. Marlow was given far too much time & space out on the left. He was able to pick out a pass to Dallas at the edge of the area & he laid it into the path of LYNESS who strolled forward unopposed before sliding a shot past Leishman.
Just like last week Talbot were struggling to create any clear chances. Hyslop had a half chance in the 21st minute when Pope’s cross found him beyond the back post but his header went straight at McGarrity.
Soon after, Milliken was unlucky when he raced onto a ball down the left. He got there fractionally before McGarrity & toed it beyond the keeper but he couldn’t keep his feet & the chance was gone.
Talbot did create a good opening in the 24th minute but failed to take it. Young lifted a free kick into the box where Boyle climbed to head it down across goal. It came to Wilson 6 yards out but on the stretch he could only scoop the ball up in the air & McGarrity gathered under the bar.
Dallas had his name taken in the 26th minute for a late challenge on Stevenson.
The Glens threatened a 2nd goal in the 31st minute. Orsi whipped a cross in from the right & Andrew glanced a header wide of the right post.
In the 36th minute Wilson picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on Menzies out on the touch line.
The Glens did double their lead in the 37th minute and again Talbot were guilty of slack defending. A shy from the right came into the box. Orsi gathered 16 yards out & was allowed to traverse the area under no real pressure before firing for goal. His shot was blocked by Harvey inside the 6-yard area but it fell kindly to DALLAS who tapped it home from close range.
The 2nd goal knocked the stuffing out of Talbot & it was the Glens who finished the half in the ascendancy. They won a free kick in the 42nd minute out on the left which Gray delivered into the area. It was cleared but only as far as McAusland who slipped the ball through to Andrew inside the area & he fired into the side netting from an acute angle.
On the stroke of half time Talbot’s defence were undone by a high ball down the left. The defence left it for Leishman but it was right at the edge of the box & as he gathered the ball he carried it out of the area; resulting in a free kick just to the left of the area. Gray took it & curled a shot on target which Leishman tipped over the bar.
Tucker decided changes were in order at the interval & made a double switch with McGoldrick on in place of Harvey & Steven Wilson replacing Hyslop but before either sub could make any impact the game was as good as over when the Glens extended their lead in the 48th minute.
Boyle stretched to cut out a ball down the right but couldn’t make it & Park raced free down the wing. He knocked the ball across the 6-yard area & ANDREW ran onto it to fire home.
Things went from bad to worse for Talbot when Graham Wilson received his 2nd yellow card & his marching orders in the 55th minute after leading with his arm in an aerial challenge.
Tucker now made his final change with Thomson coming on for Stevenson.
It should’ve been 10 a side in the 63rd minute when Dallas, already on a yellow, was guilty of a late challenge but the ref bottled the decision.
Glenafton now made their 1st change with Meikle replacing McChesney in defence.
Talbot pulled a goal back in the 70th minute. Milliken gathered out on the right & cut back onto his left foot before crossing to the near post where STEVEN WILSON headed home.
The Glens then made two further changes with McCann on for Dallas & then Borris replacing Orsi on the wing.
Talbot had done well to steady the ship but gradually the extra man told & the Glens almost extended their lead in the 82nd minute. A Glens counter-attack saw Orsi speed away & he pulled the ball back across the box. Lyness ran onto it & with Leishman off his line he looked favourite to score but Talbot’s keeper dived smartly to his left to smother his low shot.
Talbot saw out the remainder of the game without further alarms but the damage had already been done earlier on. Next up for Talbot is the 1st home league game of the season as Arthurlie visit Beechwood.

Glenafton – McGarrity, McAusland, Marlow, Menzies, McChesney, Gray, Orsi, Park, Dallas, Andrew, Lyness
Subs – McCann, Borris, Meikle, Cairns, Lockhead (gk)

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, Boyle, McCracken, Young, Hyslop, Milliken, G Wilson, Stevenson
Subs – Pooler, S Wilson, Thomson, McGoldrick, White

Glenafton open the scoring, as Lyness races into the Talbot box and slots the ball into the back of the net. 1-0.
Big smiles all round, as Lyness celebrates his goal.
On the rebound, Glenafton’s Dallas pounces first and smashes the ball past Andy Leishman. 2-0.
Dallas’ expression shows exactly what that goal meant to him.
With the 2nd half barely started, Glenafton make it three, as Dallas is left with acres of space at the back post to smash the ball home. 3-0.
As the shirt says, Glenafton celebrate scoring their 3rd goal of the game.
Although down to ten men, Talbot manage to score a consolation goal, as Stevie Wilson scores with a looping header. 3-1.
‘Butch’ gets another Talbot attack going.
The danger is cleared, as Pope fires the ball back up the park.
It’s the thumbs up from Milliken, as he is ready to go again.
Keir tries a last minute lunge for the ball but Glenafton have the ball protected.
Dylan Stevenson goes on the attack for Talbot.
Lyle watches Mcgoldrick muscle his way back up the park.
As the ball heads towards goal, Andy makes sure it doesn’t hit the back of the net.
With the home supporters eagerly watching, Talbot’s McCracken races forward into the home teams box.
If we made the football this size…… Photographs by Paul Flynn.



Date Time Season
September 17, 2016 14:00 2016/17


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Glenafton Athletic213
Auchinleck Talbot011

Glenafton Athletic

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
9Graham WilsonForward0001
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
10Craig McCrackenDefender0000
 Total 0001


Loch Park
7 Loch View, New Cumnock, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 4DJ, UK

League Table