Auchinleck Talbot v Whitletts Victoria



After winning a penalty for Talbot, Mark Shankland steps up and slots the ball home from the spot. 1-0.

Talbot 1 Whitletts 0 (H-T 1-0)

A much changed Talbot line up did just enough to see off the spirited challenge of Whitletts in this West of Scotland tie at a bitterly cold Beechwood.
Talbot started the game positively & should have been ahead inside 5 minutes when Pooler squared it across the area for Shankland to run onto but he scuffed his shot well wide from 15 yards.
A minute later Talbot had the Whitletts defence at full stretch. Hyslop released Stevenson down the right & his low ball across the face was heading straight to Shankland until Anderson stuck out a leg to intercept it.
Talbot made all the early running & Doribo came to the visitors rescue in the 17th minute with a crucial save. Shankland whipped a good cross into the centre which Hyslop glanced on target & the keeper did really well to react to block his effort.

‘Pee-wee’ can only look on in horror, as he watches his diving header go horribly wide of the goal.

Two minutes later Hyslop missed a sitter to put Talbot ahead. He stooped to meet Stevenson’s lofted cross from the right but somehow steered his free header well wide of goal from 4 yards out.
Whitletts hadn’t lacked effort but had lacked any chances although they could have taken the lead in the 23rd minute. A neat ball was knocked over the top of the Bot defence to release Balfour clean through on goal. Luckily for Talbot he lost his footing & although he scrambled back to his feet took a heavy touch & faced with an onrushing Leishman opted to throw himself to the ground looking for a penalty & was booked for his troubles.
A minute later Talbot had the ball in the back of the net but it was rightly ruled out for offside. Pope drilled a low shot on target that Doribo spilled. Shankland turned it home from close range but he was standing in an offside position.

From just outside the box, ‘Shankers’ tries a cheeky chip at goal.

The game’s only goal came on the half hour mark. Hyslop headed the ball on for Shankland who raced clear of the defence. He tried to round Doribo who sent him crashing; resulting in a booking for the keeper & a penalty to Talbot. SHANKLAND made no mistake from the spot sending the keeper the wrong way.
Whitletts were almost gifted a way back into the game in the 34th minute. McPherson miscontrolled a high ball that broke to Cameron in midfield. He chipped a diagonal ball in behind the defence to find Balfour in space but he volleyed a tame effort straight at Leishman.

From deep inside his own half, Danny Boyle tries to muscle his way out of danger.

White doesn’t score many but he came close to doubling Talbot’s lead in the 38th minute. Pooler laid the ball back into his path & he drilled a low shot just wide of Doribo’s right post from 25 yards.
Talbot continued to dominate the remainder of the half & almost doubled their lead two minutes before the interval. Pooler headed the ball into the path of Shankland & his strike partner returned the ball to him on the far corner of the 6-yard box. Pooler fired a shot on target but Doribo made a good save at his near post.
Unfortunately for the paying spectators that was pretty much as it as a spectacle in what proved to be a game of one half.

Another Talbot attack gets underway, as Dylan Pooler races up the wing.




For whatever reason Talbot just didn’t show up for the 2nd half & Vics lacked the wit to take advantage.
The referee had more to write in the 2nd half than reporters as he was kept busy with substitutions & cautions. He first had to reach for his notebook to book Black for a professional foul on Pooler & then had to mark down two changes for Whitletts as they brought on Cunningham & Boyle then a triple sub for Talbot as G Wilson, Milliken & Thomson came on as late replacements for Talbot, and a late booking for Talbot’s Boyle.
If ever a game looked like one goal would win it this was the one but Whitletts did have a good chance to equalise 9 minutes from time. Sloan outpaced Pope on the right & fired a ball across the area. Stevenson ought to have cut it out but it somehow eluded him & came through to Boyle who fired a shot straight at Leishman from 15 yards.
Talbot ended the game on the attack, spending the closing stages in the Whitletts half without remotely looking like threatening Doribo’s goal, and the final whistle came as a relief to the chittering support.
Next up for Talbot is another cup tie at Beechwood – this time the Bot will be hosting Luncarty in the last 16 of the Scottish.Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Harvey, Pope, McPherson, Boyle, Latta, Stevenson, White, Pooler, Shankland, HyslopSubs – Thomson, McCracken, G Wilson, S Wilson, Milliken

Whitletts Victoria – Doribo, Anderson, Ewart, Kirkland, Buchanan, Sloan, Cameron, Black, Balfour, Kerr, Kennedy Subs – Cunningham, Boyle, Boyd


While going on the attack, Latta tries his best to evade a Whitletts’ tackle.
Whitletts try to set up their defensive wall, as Talbot prepare to take a free-kick.
The other players look on, as Shankland skilfully controls the ball.
Stevenson manages to escape this tackle and keep the attack motoring.
All eyes on the ball, as Kier Milliken tries to keep possession.
Pope points to where he thinks the ball is going, as Stephen White tries to gain the advantage.
Pooler chases the ball into the opposition’s box.
Ross Harvey makes sure the danger is cleared.
James Latta makes his case be known, as he thinks he’s been fouled. Photographs by Paul Flynn.



Date Time Season
February 11, 2017 14:00 2016/17


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot101
Whitletts Victoria000

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
9Mark Shankland 12Forward1000
12Graham Wilson 9Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
 Total 1000

Whitletts Victoria

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table