Auchinleck Talbot v Beith Juniors



Talbot got off to a bad start and it was downhill from there as the Bot tamely exited the Scottish, beaten 3-0 by Beith.
The supporters were still making their way into the ground when Talbot fell behind in the 2nd minute. Sheridan played a pass through the centre to find MCGOWAN 25 yards out. He strolled past McCracken & with the defence backing off; he continued into the area & slammed a low drive into the bottom corner.
Talbot’s first attack saw Pope sweep a cross beyond the far post where Hyslop climbed above Docherty to head it across goal but Steven Wilson couldn’t connect with it in the centre.
In the 10th minute Young combined with Milliken out on the right before Milliken cut inside & fired a shot on target that Grindlay clutched inside his left post.
The next goal was going to be crucial, and unfortunately for Talbot it came for Beith who doubled their lead in the 22nd minute. There looked to be no danger when McLaughlin pumped a high ball down the middle; however Lyle made a meal of it, and in attempting to bring the ball under control only succeeded in knocking it straight into the path of CHRISTIE who fired it high past the helpless Leishman.
This goal seemed to knock the fight out of Talbot who huffed & puffed but did little to trouble Beith’s defence.
Talbot had a penalty shout on the half hour mark when Hyslop spun his marker inside the box & looked to be tugged to the ground but the referee wasn’t interested.
Grindlay was having a very quiet afternoon but Steven Wilson did test him in the 37thminute. A shy from the right found him inside the box & he drilled a shot on target that Grindlay had to tip behind.
Beith saw out the rest of the half fairly comfortably to go in 2-0 ahead at the break.
To the surprise of many, there were no changes at the interval with Tucker trusting to the starting 11 to turn things round.
The referee infuriated the Bot support in the 48th minute. McLean fouled Young but the referee gave the foul the other way & then booked Butch for dissent; a decision which was to come back to haunt Talbot later on.
In the 53rd minute Milliken’s pass found Pope on the left and he hammered a shot on target but it went straight at Grindlay.
Any hopes Talbot entertained of staging a comeback were ended by the referee in the 58th minute. Christie beat the offside trap to race clear down the left. He cut the ball back to the edge of the area where Young challenged McGowan. It appeared he’d made a well-timed tackle but the referee awarded Beith a free kick and produced a 2nd yellow card for Young; reducing Talbot to 10 men.
Christie took the free kick & his low drive was blocked behind by McGoldrick. Talbot were then caught napping as Beith took a short corner and when the cross came over MCLAUGHLIN met it to power a free header home from close range.
The game was effectively over & Beith nearly added to their lead in the 64th minute. Lyle gave the ball away to Docherty & he fed it inside to Frize who shot straight at Leishman.
McLean spurned a great chance to make it 4 on the 70th minute. McCracken took a heavy touch & lost the ball just inside his own half, sending McLean clean through on goal. He carried on into the area but pulled his shot well wide of the left post.
Tallbot made a double substitution a minute later with Lyle & Steven Wilson coming off to be replaced by Harvey & Pooler.
With 10 minutes remaining Tucker made his final change with Stevenson on for Graham Wilson.
In the closing stages Harvey picked up a yellow card for simulation when he went down inside the Beith penalty area.
The final whistle couldn’t come quickly enough for the Bot support and this is a game that everyone associated with Talbot will want to expunge from their memory.
It’s back to league duties next week for Talbot as they make the short trip to New Cumnock to face Glenafton.
Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, McCracken, S Wilson, Young, White, G Wilson, Milliken, Hyslop
Subs – Pooler, Stevenson, Harvey, Boyle, Thomson, Shankland, Hewitt (gk)

Beith – Grindlay, MacDonald, Docherty, McLaughlin, Sheridan, Wilson, McGlinchey, Frize, McLean, Christie, McGowan
Subs- Collins, Watt, Burke, McPherson, Fisher, Martin, McBain (gk)



Date Time Competition Season
September 10, 2016 14:00 SCOTTISH CUP 2016/17


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot000
Beith Juniors233

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
11Graham Wilson 15Forward0000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
5Craig McCrackenDefender0000
 Total 0000

Beith Juniors

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table