Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Big Neilly does what he does best, as he wins the ball back for Talbot.


Samson can only watch, as the Glens ‘keeper punches away the danger.


Wardrope goes on a run while asking who is wanting the pass.


Wardrope just can’t get his foot up high enough, as the ‘keeper gets two big fists to the ball.


While his opponent takes a tumble, Samson tries to skip past into the box.


OUCH!!! Mick Wardrope roars out in agony after taking a sore one in a challenge.


The Glens man is poised to strike at the back post but Leishman manages to get a big hand to the ball and scope it out the air in time.


Glenafton try their luck from inside the box but Wilson manages to block the shot and deflect the ball wide.


Caption time folks!!!


‘Pee-wee’ tries to muscle his way through between two defenders but they manage to get to the ball first.


Smiles all round, as the players share a joke during the game.


Samson tries to keep hold of the ball inside the box, while Glenafton shout for offside.


WHAT-A-SAVE!!! The Glens go extremely close to scoring via a very close range header but Leishman pulls off a brilliant save to stop them.


CHANCE!!! Keir Samson goes airborne but his header fails to find the back of the net.


It’s a Mexican stand off, as everybody points the finger at each other.


Young Mason goes on a great run up the middle of the park.


McPherson goes on the attack and motors up the field.


Crawford shrugs off his opponent and races up the wing.


Tempers begin to rise, as ‘Pee-wee’ does his best to calm things down.


WHAT-A-CHANCE!!! Samson finds himself in space but he can only watch his downward header go wide of the goal.


McPherson gets a nasty cut to his head after an aerial challenge.


LATE DRAMA!!! With the 90mins nearly over, Gareth Armstrong pounces on the edge of the box and smashes the ball home. 0-1.


Nothing quite like celebrating a late winner…eh Aaron?


With the boys in black ‘n’ gold winning the game, the Talbot Young Team start drumming out a winning beat.



Talbot left Loch Park with all 3 points after a hard fought derby win over the Glens but it came too late to have any impact on the title due to Darvel’s win over the Buffs.

The Bot started brightly and won a free kick out wide in the 1st minute following a shove on Samson. Wardrope took it short to release Wilson on the overlap and he whipped a decent ball into the centre which was cleared.

A few minutes later Wilson’s hanging cross caused Markey problems with the Glens keeper dropping it near the back post but it didn’t break for Talbot and the defence were able to clear.

In the 8th minute Leishman fired a free kick down the right to find the head of Hyslop. He nodded it into the path of Glasgow who released McCracken down the right and his driven ball was blocked behind for a corner. When Wardrope’s corner came over the defence failed to clear their lines and it broke to Hyslop 16 yards out. He tried to pass it into the corner but his shot was blocked and rebounded out to Wardrope on the right. He swung over a good cross that Markey managed to punch clear.

The Glens keeper did well in the 11th minute when Hyslop played a ball in behind the defence for Wardrope; with the keeper quickly off his line to narrowly beat him to it and clear the danger.

Talbot had a nervy moment in the 17th minute when a ball up the centre landed in behind the defence between Crawford and Leishman. Andy came to claim it at the edge of the box but it wasn’t coming into the area and he had to improvise a clearance under pressure from Kerr.

Blyth had his name taken in the 20th minute for a late challenge on Hyslop.

The home side threatened the Bot goal in the 23rd minute. A cross from the left was headed up into the air by Wilson and dropped down to Martin on the right edge of the area. He cut inside onto his left foot and fired for goal only for McCracken to make the block and send it wide for the corner. The corner was whipped in dangerously but no one anticipated and it flew across goal.

Talbot’s next attack saw Wilson sling over a deep cross to find Wardope beyond the far post. He drilled it back across goal but it slipped wide of the right hand post.

The Glens picked up a 2nd yellow card in the 29th minute when Martin went right through the back of Wardrope.

In the 33rd minute the Glens had a chance to take the lead following a corner from the left. When it came over Kemp got his head to it and nodded it beyond the far post where McKee side-footed it into the side-netting.

Talbot came close to grabbing the lead in the 42nd minute. Glenafton won a contentious free kick wide on the left for what appeared to be a hard but fair tackle from McCracken. When the ball came in Talbot cleared it and broke through Glasgow who raced up field before sliding it left to Samson who cut inside and went for a curling effort that was heading inside the left post until Markey tipped it round.

A minute before the interval Martin raced half the length of the field unchallenged; firing a low drive from 18 yards that was deflected wide of the left post.

Glenafton ended the half strongly though Talbot were left frustrated when the Glens were awarded a very soft free kick just outside the Bot penalty area. The referee came across to speak to Tucker before McKernon took it but he fired it straight into the wall and that was that for the 1st half.

Talbot made a change at the start of the 2nd period with Armstrong on for Wilson. This led to a defensive re-shuffle with Stafford going into the centre and Crawford to right-back.

The Bot looked a bit uncertain in the early stages of the half with Glenafton doing most of the pressing. The home side had a half chance in the 49th minute. They won a corner on the right which was cleared but straight back to the corner taker who lobbed it deep beyond the far post where Rowe had a free header but steered it straight at Leishman.

Talbot had a glorious chance to take the lead in the 52nd minute. Crawford made ground down the right and swung over a great cross that landed at the feet of Wardrope 15 yards out. He could have went for goal but instead laid it off first time into the path of Glasgow who took it round the keeper but couldn’t force it home.

In the 55th minute Glens won a free kick 12 yards out wide on the right following a foul by Armstrong. McKernon flighted it into the centre where Leishman punched it clear.

A minute later the Glens were on the attack again. Markey bowled the ball out to Martin who raced through the centre of midfield before slipping a pass left to Kerr but he was closed down inside the area before he could get his shot away.

Just shy of the hour mark Leishman produced a top save to keep the score level. The Glens switched the ball out to the right where Blyth was in space. He lifted a cross over to the far post to find Kerr in space but his free header was saved at the right hand post by Leishman.

Down the other end Talbot came close when Crawford’s cross was glanced just wide of target by Samson.

Armstrong had his name taken in the 62nd minute when he conceded a free kick 35 yards from goal that McKernon fired straight into the wall.

Talbot now made their 2nd change of the afternoon with McCracken making way for Mason.

The Glens next attack looked well offside but the flag stayed down as McKee raced onto a ball down the left and when he whipped a cross into the centre Kerr met it only to see his header tipped over the bar by Leishman.

Kemp received a caution in the 70th minute for a foul on Wardrope and a few minutes later Glasgow left the field injured to be replaced by Boyd.

With quarter of an hour remaining McPherson charged forward from the back & slid a pass into the feet of Mason but he was falling back as he hit it and scooped his shot well over.

Three minutes later Wardope won Talbot a corner down the left which he took himself. The delivery was spot on and only needed a touch to turn it home but no one had gambled and the ball sped across the face of goal.

Ten minutes from time Healy picked up a yellow card for a trip on Martin and a minute later Rowe received a caution for going through the back of Healy. From the resultant free kick Talbot worked it to Armstrong who flighted a cross onto the head of Samson but he headed it past the left post from a good area.

Two minutes from time Talbot grabbed the late winner. Mason cut inside off the left but was crowded out before he could get his shot away. The ball broke back to GARETH ARMSTRONG on the 18 yard line and his low drive ended up in the back of the net following a deflection.

The Glens piled men forward in added time but to no avail and Talbot saw the game out to secure the win.

Next week Talbot are back on their travels as they head through to Cumbernauld for the final league game of the season.

Glenafton Athletic – Markey, Martin, Cairns, Pettigrew, Murphy, McKernon, Blyth, Rowe, Kerr, Kemp, McKee

Subs – Nisbet, Miller, Fisher, Bennie, Johnson

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Crawford, Healy, Hyslop, Wardrope, Samson, Glasgow, Robbie McCracken

Subs – Mason, Armstrong, Boyd, White, Hewitt


Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

McCracken closely watches Mick McCann.


Craig airs his frustration, while Neil looks dejected.


‘Pee-wee’ keeps his eyes fixed on the ball while inside the Glen’s box.


Gareth Armstrong makes a challenge on McChesney but the referee and linesman deem it to be a red card offence.


Lyle and the referee have words while the Glen’s manager puts in his ‘two cents’ too.


Samson gets stopped in his tracks via a great tackle.


It’s hurdle training for Mark, as he avoids getting hit by this challenge.


Craig and Dwayne try to team up in order to win the ball back.


‘Shankers’ wins the ball, turns and goes on the attack.


Glenafton double their lead via a stunning strike from the edge of the box. 2-0.


Smiles and cuddles all round, as the Glens celebrate their second goal.


A very worrying demeanour from Stephen Wilson after going two-nil down.


‘Gee’ thinks he’s pulled a goal back for Talbot but the ref blows for a hand-ball during the build up.


I don’t think Graham agrees with that hand-ball call, ref.


A headed chance for Talbot from McCracken.


Keir tries to get on the end of a cross, as the Glens players shout for hand-ball.


A Glens player pleads his innocence to the linesman.


The victory is sealed for Glenafton via a thunderous shot into the bottom right-hand corner off the post. 3-0.


Joyous scenes from the Glens players after netting goal number three.


Boylan tries to get a consolation goal but fails to hit the target.



Talbot got off to the worst possible start when McCANN lobbed the ball over Leishman to give the Glens the lead. Talbot had a chance to level matters in the 6th minutewhen Shankland hammered a low effort at goal but it was accidently blocked by Stephen Wilson.  In the 9th minute things got worse for Talbot when they were reduced to 10 men after Armstrong dived into a tackle deep in the Glens half which seemed to catch McChesney but the far side  which after speaking to his assistant a straight red.                                                                                                 Leishman produced a wonder save in the 22nd minute to keep Talbot in it. The Glens won a corner down the left and when it came over Menzies got a free header on it that Leishman managed to claw away at his left post.                                                                                                                                                                             Any realistic chance of Talbot taking something from the game ended in the 28th minute. Stephen Wilson lost the ball deep inside the Glens half which left the defence exposed and after a break up field GALLACHER cut inside onto his left foot and curled a shot inside the right post from the edge of the area. Graham Wilson slid the ball through to Samson who hammered it on target where Wilson parried it. The ball bounced out to Graham Wilson and struck him on the arm before he prodded it into the net but the flag had already been raised.

When the sides came out for the 2nd period Talbot had made a change with Healy replacing Shankland. The visiting support weren’t over-enamoured of the referee, when he dismissed a Talbot penalty appeal in the 57th minute when Pope mishit a free kick into the area which skipped off the surface and appeared to hit a defender’s arm. A minute later Graham Wilson gathered on the left & played a tempting ball across goal that just eluded Samson at the back post. Talbot nearly pulled a goal back with 12 minutes remaining. Graham Wilson shoved a ball through the centre for Boylan to chase. Hesitant defending allowed him to nip in behind and stretch out a leg to send it on target but Wilson did well, coming off his line to deflect it behind for the corner.The Glens keeper kept Talbot out again in the 81st minute. A shy was played back to McPherson and he lifted a cross over that found Healy beyond the far post He cracked a shot on target that Wilson blocked behind for a corner. The scoring was completed in the 83rd minute. Talbot’s defence failed to cut out a ball & it landed at ANDREW on the left of the area & he fired it back across goal & in off Leishman’s left hand post to make it 3-0. It wasn’t Talbot’s day & this was underlined in injury time when Wilson produced a superb stop to deny Talbot a consolation. Boylan met a cross from the left & glanced a header to the right corner which Wilson managed to keep out with a full length diving save.                                                                               Glenafton Athletic – Wilson, Pettigrew, Cairns, Menzies, McChesney, Park, Moore, Frye, McCann, Gallacher, Reilly Subs – Andrew, Orsi, Marlow, Nisbet, Burns

 Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Hyslop, Stephe Wilson, Graham Wilson, Samson, Shankland                                                                                                                             Subs – Glasgow, Boylan, Healy, McDowall, Aiden Wilson

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot showed their intent when they broke up-field where  Keir Samson whipped a cross into the box for the incoming Mark Shankland to crash a header off the bar and following an almighty scramble the loose ball was safely gathered by keeper Craig Burns.

This triggered a sustained period of Talbot pressure where Talbot notched up a series of corner kicks a few of which came close to providing the opening goal with Pope and McIlroy going close.

Talbot won a number of corners another in quick succession and on 22 minutes the ball fell for Mark Shankland on the outskirts of the box to crack an unstoppable dipping shot into net.

Talbot came close to doubling their lead on the half hour mark after another clever run by McIlroy took him to the edge of the “D” before lashing an angled shot which although it beat Burns at full stretch the ball bounced of the post and was eventually snapped up by Shankland to drive deep into the box only for the keeper to pull off a stunning block.

On 34 minutes McIlroy slipped the ball into the box for Calvin Kemp to take a touch before slamming the ball home from the corner of the six yard box to make it 2-0

Three minutes before the break and against the run of play the Glens halved the deficit when Kit Cummins drilled the ball low into the corner of the net beyond the advancing Leishman.

In the second half Kemp smacked a shot from just outside the left-hand side of box that cracked off the far post. Shankland drilled the loose ball low along the face of the goal where Kemp contrived to miss the empty net and fire the ball over the bar from 2 yards.

On 50 minutes another Talbot corner kick produced a fantastic point blank save by Burns from a Pope header and the ball scrambled to safety. Talbot doubled their lead on 58 minutes after a ball played in from the right found Shankland in the box with time and space to pick his spot and blast the ball home from 10 yards out.Six minutes later and Burns pulled off another point blank save by sticking out a foot to stop Steven White’s close-range shot.

Talbot continued to press and Burns was forced into another good save blocking Neil McPherson’s effort and soon after he stopped a low shot from White. On 72 minutes however the visitors extended their lead as Glens were made to pay after giving away possession to allow Shankland to push down the left unimpeded before whipping the ball to the back post where the incoming Kemp guided the ball into the net from close range.

With the last kick of the game Craig McCracken through on goal slotted the ball beyond advancing Burns to make it 5-1 for Talbot and complete the scoring .

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Talbot made the perfect start to 2018, opening the new year with an away win at New Cumnock to keep their title hopes alive.
It was Talbot who made the early running & the 1st effort at goal came in the 5th minute. The Glens defence failed to properly clear a ball aimed at Glasgow & it came out to Graham Wilson who lobbed it over the stranded McGarrity but also over the crossbar.
In the 9th minute Pope tried his luck from all of 30 yards, hitting the target, but failing to trouble McGarrity.
Pope then turned provider in Talbot’s next attack, lifting a ball into the left edge of the area for Hyslop but it broke away from him & McGarrity came out to gather.
Gradually the Glens came into it & the home side had a chance to open the scoring in the 20th minute. They won a free kick out on the left which was swung into the centre. McCann headed the ball down into the feet of Dallas but he wanted one touch too many & Hyslop nicked in to clear.
Action then switched to the other end where only a fantastic stop from McGarrity prevented Talbot taking the lead. Pope fed the ball out to Graham Wilson on the left & he lifted a cross to the far post. Glasgow raced onto it & volleyed on target but somehow McGarrity got enough on it to keep it out at his left post.
The referee infuriated the large travelling support in the 23rd minute when he cautioned Pope for what looked to be nothing more than a hard but fair tackle; winning the ball cleanly.
Gray took the resultant free kick & flighted it into the middle where White headed it clear. McChesney gathered the ball out on the left & crossed it back into the centre where McCann flicked it on to Gray who trundled a shot into the side netting.
Cairns tried to replicate his wonder strike from last season’s Scottish final in the 34th minute but whilst well-struck his shot from 35 yards was always flying over the bar.
McAusland had his name taken in the 40th minute after a tangle with Pope.
The last chance of the half came Talbot’s way in the 41st minute. The Glens back line failed to deal with a ball up the middle & it fell to Graham Wilson 16 yards out. He rolled it across to Stephen Wilson but his low strike was blocked off a defender and that was it for the 1st half.
At the start of the 2nd period it was the Glens who made the early running.
Dallas switched the ball from right to left to find Borris who cut inside Lyle before shooting only for McPherson to block his effort.
The linesman gave the Glens a helping hand in the 52nd minute when he kept his flag down as Dallas sped clear. He looked offside but was allowed to continue; however he failed to capitalise, lashing a shot over the bar from 18 yards.
Talbot had a decent chance in the 53rd minute from a set piece. Pope angled a free kick out to the right to find the head of Stephen Wilson who nodded it down to Glasgow. He helped it on into the feet of Graham Wilson, 8 yards out, but he swiped at it & the ball went tamely through to McGarrity.
The Glens made a double change in the 57th minute, replacing their wide men, with McGill & Moore coming on for Gray & Borris.
Talbot made their 1st change in the 62nd minute with McIlroy on for Graham Wilson.
The Bot’s next effort at goal came from an unlikely source. White showed quick feet to elude a couple of challenges & burst into the box before drilling a low shot on goal that McGarrity held.
The game was now swinging from end to end. Talbot threatened in the 71st minute when Hyslop found McIlroy out on the right. He whipped a dangerous cross over that Park headed over his own crossbar.
Harvey had his name taken in the 75th minute for a shirt tug just outside the Bot penalty area. McGill took the free kick but blasted it straight into the wall.
Tucker now made a further change with Shankland on in place of Thomson.
Glenafton came close to making the breakthrough in the 77th minute. A poor headed clearance fell to Park just outside the penalty area & his low drive flew just wide of Leishman’s right post.
The action then switched to the other penalty area where McIlroy laid the ball out right to Glasgow. He had the chance to go for goal but opted to carry it on & was eventually crowded out. The ball broke out left where Shankland fired a shot on target held by McGarrity.
Glenafton ought to have taken the lead in the 79th minute when their two subs were involved but Moore was guilty of missing a sitter. McGill swirled a cross over from the left that took the Bot defence out of the equation & Moore looked certain to divert it home but he got it all wrong & prodded the ball so far wide it didn’t even go for a goal kick.
Talbot’s next chance came in the 82nd minute when Pope angled a low ball into Hyslop at the edge of the area. He swivelled & hit it first time but he was falling back as he struck it & it flew over the bar.
The Bot nearly broke the deadlock in the 85th minute. White curled a good cross over to Shankland at the back post. He attempted to dink it home but his effort was deflected behind for a corner. When the corner came over Hyslop headed it back across goal where McIlroy headed it goal ward. McGarrity was beaten but Park came to his rescue; heading it off the line.
Just when it seemed that both sides would have to settle for a share of the points Talbot produced a late winner in the 88th minute. Pope delivered the perfect cross from the left & HYSLOP rose to power a header high into the net to win it for Talbot.
A good away win to start the year & next up for Talbot are Kilbirnie who travel through to Beechwood next Saturday.Glenafton Athletic – McGarrity, McAusland, Cairns, Menzies, McChesney, McKernon, Gray, Park, Dallas, McCann, BorrisSubs – McGill, Moore, McKnight, Marlow, Watson

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, Hyslop, S Wilson, White, G Wilson, Glasgow, Thomson

Subs – McIlroy, Shankland, Armstrong, Faulds, McCracken

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot fans enjoyed the sunshine but not the result as the Bot slumped to their 2nd successive defeat; losing 3-1 to Glenafton at Loch Park.
The 1st chance of the match came Talbot’s way. Wilson beat Menzies in the air to nod it into the box where McChesney could only partially clear it. The ball came out to Hyslop 16 yards out but he fired over the crossbar.
The Glens threatened in turn after 10 minutes. McChesney’s deep cross found Orsi in space & he headed it back across goal where Park hooked a shot over.
Play then switched straight to the other end when Meikle headed Leishman’s lengthy clearance behind for a corner. Young delivered the corner to the far post where McChesney headed it off the line.
A couple of minutes later Wilson won a corner off Menzies down the left. Once again Young delivered a good ball to the back post where Boyle got on the end of it but couldn’t direct it on target under pressure.
So far so good, but then with quarter of an hour gone Talbot conceded a cheap opener. Marlow was given far too much time & space out on the left. He was able to pick out a pass to Dallas at the edge of the area & he laid it into the path of LYNESS who strolled forward unopposed before sliding a shot past Leishman.
Just like last week Talbot were struggling to create any clear chances. Hyslop had a half chance in the 21st minute when Pope’s cross found him beyond the back post but his header went straight at McGarrity.
Soon after, Milliken was unlucky when he raced onto a ball down the left. He got there fractionally before McGarrity & toed it beyond the keeper but he couldn’t keep his feet & the chance was gone.
Talbot did create a good opening in the 24th minute but failed to take it. Young lifted a free kick into the box where Boyle climbed to head it down across goal. It came to Wilson 6 yards out but on the stretch he could only scoop the ball up in the air & McGarrity gathered under the bar.
Dallas had his name taken in the 26th minute for a late challenge on Stevenson.
The Glens threatened a 2nd goal in the 31st minute. Orsi whipped a cross in from the right & Andrew glanced a header wide of the right post.
In the 36th minute Wilson picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on Menzies out on the touch line.
The Glens did double their lead in the 37th minute and again Talbot were guilty of slack defending. A shy from the right came into the box. Orsi gathered 16 yards out & was allowed to traverse the area under no real pressure before firing for goal. His shot was blocked by Harvey inside the 6-yard area but it fell kindly to DALLAS who tapped it home from close range.
The 2nd goal knocked the stuffing out of Talbot & it was the Glens who finished the half in the ascendancy. They won a free kick in the 42nd minute out on the left which Gray delivered into the area. It was cleared but only as far as McAusland who slipped the ball through to Andrew inside the area & he fired into the side netting from an acute angle.
On the stroke of half time Talbot’s defence were undone by a high ball down the left. The defence left it for Leishman but it was right at the edge of the box & as he gathered the ball he carried it out of the area; resulting in a free kick just to the left of the area. Gray took it & curled a shot on target which Leishman tipped over the bar.
Tucker decided changes were in order at the interval & made a double switch with McGoldrick on in place of Harvey & Steven Wilson replacing Hyslop but before either sub could make any impact the game was as good as over when the Glens extended their lead in the 48th minute.
Boyle stretched to cut out a ball down the right but couldn’t make it & Park raced free down the wing. He knocked the ball across the 6-yard area & ANDREW ran onto it to fire home.
Things went from bad to worse for Talbot when Graham Wilson received his 2nd yellow card & his marching orders in the 55th minute after leading with his arm in an aerial challenge.
Tucker now made his final change with Thomson coming on for Stevenson.
It should’ve been 10 a side in the 63rd minute when Dallas, already on a yellow, was guilty of a late challenge but the ref bottled the decision.
Glenafton now made their 1st change with Meikle replacing McChesney in defence.
Talbot pulled a goal back in the 70th minute. Milliken gathered out on the right & cut back onto his left foot before crossing to the near post where STEVEN WILSON headed home.
The Glens then made two further changes with McCann on for Dallas & then Borris replacing Orsi on the wing.
Talbot had done well to steady the ship but gradually the extra man told & the Glens almost extended their lead in the 82nd minute. A Glens counter-attack saw Orsi speed away & he pulled the ball back across the box. Lyness ran onto it & with Leishman off his line he looked favourite to score but Talbot’s keeper dived smartly to his left to smother his low shot.
Talbot saw out the remainder of the game without further alarms but the damage had already been done earlier on. Next up for Talbot is the 1st home league game of the season as Arthurlie visit Beechwood.

Glenafton – McGarrity, McAusland, Marlow, Menzies, McChesney, Gray, Orsi, Park, Dallas, Andrew, Lyness
Subs – McCann, Borris, Meikle, Cairns, Lockhead (gk)

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, Boyle, McCracken, Young, Hyslop, Milliken, G Wilson, Stevenson
Subs – Pooler, S Wilson, Thomson, McGoldrick, White

Glenafton open the scoring, as Lyness races into the Talbot box and slots the ball into the back of the net. 1-0.
Big smiles all round, as Lyness celebrates his goal.
On the rebound, Glenafton’s Dallas pounces first and smashes the ball past Andy Leishman. 2-0.
Dallas’ expression shows exactly what that goal meant to him.
With the 2nd half barely started, Glenafton make it three, as Dallas is left with acres of space at the back post to smash the ball home. 3-0.
As the shirt says, Glenafton celebrate scoring their 3rd goal of the game.
Although down to ten men, Talbot manage to score a consolation goal, as Stevie Wilson scores with a looping header. 3-1.
‘Butch’ gets another Talbot attack going.
The danger is cleared, as Pope fires the ball back up the park.
It’s the thumbs up from Milliken, as he is ready to go again.
Keir tries a last minute lunge for the ball but Glenafton have the ball protected.
Dylan Stevenson goes on the attack for Talbot.
Lyle watches Mcgoldrick muscle his way back up the park.
As the ball heads towards goal, Andy makes sure it doesn’t hit the back of the net.
With the home supporters eagerly watching, Talbot’s McCracken races forward into the home teams box.
If we made the football this size…… Photographs by Paul Flynn.


Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot claimed a deserved share of the spoils at a rain soaked Loch Park but left it very late before grabbing an equaliser.
Talbot were 1st to show & won a corner inside a minute when Marlow blocked Latta’s cross behind. Shankland swung it over to the penalty spot where Drummond ran onto it but steered his header wide of McGarrity’s right post.
The home side very nearly took the lead in the 3rd minute. McGill played it into the area to find Andrew in space on the left & his shot across goal beat Leishman but came back off the foot of the post.
It was Talbot’s turn to hit the woodwork in the 8th minute. McChesney bowled Milliken over 30 yards out resulting in a free kick. Shankland whipped it up & over the wall only to see it clip the outside of the left post with McGarrity well beaten.
Talbot conceded a soft penalty at Muirkirk on Saturday and it was déjà vu for the visiting fans when Drummond was adjudged to have barged into Andrew just inside the penalty area. The ref awarded a penalty & DALLAS sent Leishman the wrong way to put Glenafton 1-0 ahead.
The game then became as dreich as the weather with nothing of note happening for a lengthy spell.
Pope received a caution in the 24th minute for a late challenge on Borris and was joined in the notebook 4 minutes later by Pooler. Talbot’s latest signing raced into the box onto the end of Young’s pass & opted to take it round McGarrity rather than shoot from a tight angle. He knocked it past McGarrity & went over but the ref judged it a dive & booked him, to the ire of the visiting fans who were looking for a penalty.
Glenafton’s McGill was cautioned in the 34th min for a late tackle & the Glens were then forced into an early change as Borris, who hadn’t recovered from an earlier knock, limped off to be replaced by Orsi.
From the resultant free kick McGoldrick flighted the ball down the right. The ball bobbled past a static Glens defence through to Young deep inside the area but his 1st touch let him down & it went out for a goal kick.
Andrew had a real opportunity to double the Glens lead in the 39th min. He was sent clean through on Leishman but he tried to lift it over him & Andy reacted quickly to make the stop. The home side finished the 1st half strongly but couldn’t add to their lead.
Tucker made a change at the re-start with McPherson making way for Wilson & Latta dropping back to right-back.
Wilson was only on the park 5 minutes before picking up a very soft caution for an innocuous foul. The Glens were awarded a free kick 30 yards out but Gray sent his shot straight into the wall.
Talbot carry a threat at set pieces & stretched the Glens defence in the 54th minute. A corner was taken short to Shankland & Drummond was a hair’s breadth from heading it home in the centre. Talbot kept the pressure on & Pooler came close as he turned McAusland & shot just past the right post.
It was Talbot making the running & Wilson nearly levelled in the 58th minute. Shankland played a dangerous ball in from the left for Young in the centre. He just failed to reach it but the ball broke out to Wilson who hammered a shot just wide of the left post.
Glenafton had fallen right out of it so it was no surprise when they made their 2nd change, McCann coming on for Dallas.
The home side had an opportunity in the 72nd minute. Park met Gray’s corner from the right but didn’t make the most of it, glancing his header wide of target.
McCann & Drummond had a coming together in the 74th min & both ended up in the ref’s book.
Tucker made a 2nd change with 11 mins remaining with Lyle replacing Pooler.
The referee made it one penalty a piece in the 82nd minute. The Glens were penalised for a foul at the back post from Shankland’s corner and Pope stepped up to take it but safe to say it wasn’t his finest effort from 12 yards as he lifted it way over the bar.
Credit to Talbot though, they kept going and produced another close call in the 86th minute. Milliken did well out on the left & fired it low across the area where Shankland turned his man before firing narrowly past the left post.
Just when it looked as though the Glens would hold on for the win, Talbot finally produced an equaliser. In the final minute Talbot won a corner on the right and when Shankland’s ball came across the 6-yard area, MCGOLDRICK met it to glance a header into the far corner.
A case of better late than never for Talbot, who now face the long trek south to face Wigtown in the preliminary round of the Scottish cup this Saturday.

Glenafton – McGarrity, McAusland, Marlow, Meikle, McChesney, Gray, Borris, Park, Dallas, Andrew, McGill
Subs – McCann, Orsi, Hunter, McAnespie, Lochhead

Talbot – Leishman, McPherson, Pope, McGoldrick, Drummond, White, Young, Pooler, Milliken, Shankland, Latta
Subs – S Wilson, Boyle, Lyle, Baird, Hewitt

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot