Wigton & Bladnoch v Auchinleck Talbot



Talbot failed to show up for the 1st half of this cup tie but were a team transformed after the interval & cruised to victory over their South of Scotland league opponents.
It was a case of Talbot flattering to deceive early on as the Bot got off to a short-lived flying start. In the opening couple of minutes Talbot forced a couple of early corners, from the second of which, McGoldrick glanced a header wide of target.
After this initial flurry, the 1st half became a frustrating affair for Talbot with Wigtown content to sit deep & look to break, and Talbot struggling to get through them.
In the 17th minute Young & Dunn had their names taken after a confrontation in the centre of the pitch.
In a half devoid of clear chances, Talbot’s main threat came from set pieces. Boyle got his head onto the end of Shankland’s free kick in the 28th minute but placed his header wide of the right post.
Talbot’s best chance of the half came in the 32nd minute courtesy of a quickly taken free kick. Young hit it in behind the Wigtown defence but Wilson took a poor 1st touch & it broke off him through to the keeper.
For the remainder of the half both sides huffed & puffed to no avail & the sides went in at half-time with neither keeper having made a save.
Talbot came out like a team transformed after the interval & as early as the 46th minute carved out a decent chance. Shankland laid the ball off to Wilson & he fired a low shot wide of the right post.
Millliken received a caution in the 53rd minute for a shirt tug on Dougan.
A minute later Young hit the target from 20 yards but his shot went straight at Roddie.
McIntyre then became the 4th name in the ref’s book when he was cautioned for a late tackle on Milliken.
The opening goal came in the 58th minute and what a strike it was. Richardson conceded a free kick 30 yards from goal for a foul on Wilson & SHANKLAND gave the keeper no chance; curling a superb strike over the wall & into the back of the net.
Tucker now made a change with White coming on for Pooler.
Talbot nearly doubled their lead on the hour mark. Milliken gathered out on the left & drilled it low across the goal mouth. The slightest touch would’ve put it in but Wilson just failed to connect at the near post.
It was all Talbot now & it was no surprise when the 2nd goal arrived in the 66th minute. A diagonal ball found Milliken out on the right & he swept a good cross into the centre. Shankland glanced a header on target and although Roddie parried it WILSON followed up to tap in the rebound.
Talbot’s next attack saw White burst forward before releasing Shankland down the left. He lifted a dangerous cross to the far post where Rennie headed behind. Shankland went across to take the corner & whipped it into the near post where Milliken fired over the bar.
Wilson had a chance to grab his 2nd in the 70th minute. He started the move sliding the ball out right to Latta who returned the favour, crossing it into the centre where Wilson headed on target but straight at Roddie.
The game was as good as over a minute later when Talbot moved 3-0 ahead. White burst into the area & fed the ball out to Shankland on the left. He cut inside McIntyre before chipping a shot for the far top corner. He saw his effort come back off the woodwork but Wilson gathered on the right & quickly crossed it back across goal where SHANKLAND headed home from 6 yards out.
With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot tested Roddie again. Shankland’s mazy run into the box ended when he was challenged by Richardson; however the ball broke back into the path of Wilson who drilled a low shot on goal which Roddie blocked.
Wigtown had a chance for a consolation goal in the 76th minute. They won a corner out on the left & the Bot defence were caught sleeping as they took a short one to Miller. He curled a cross over to the far post where Dougan rose unopposed but he lifted his header over the bar.
Tucker now made a double substitution with Young & Shankland making way for Hyslop & Drummond.
It should have been 4 for Talbot in the 81st minute. Latta angled a great cross in from the right touchline & Wilson looked a certainty to head it home but somehow he placed it the wrong side of the left post.
Wilson had another headed chance a minute later. This time the cross came from the opposite wing as Pope whipped the ball into the centre where Wilson glanced a header just wide.
The final goal came in the 83rd minute. Hyslop’s break from midfield was ended when Cluckie tripped him inside the area & the ref pointed to the spot. WILSON took it & confidently dispatched it to claim his 2nd of the afternoon & make it 4-0 to Talbot.
In the closing seconds Talbot had a final chance to add to their tally. Wilson headed Lyle’s ball down to the feet of Milliken, sending him clean through on the right but instead of shooting he tried to square it across the 6-yard box & the chance was lost.
In the end a comfortable enough win for Talbot who face a trip to Beith in the next round.
Next up for Talbot is their 1st home game of the season when they host Cumnock on Monday night.

Referee – Mike Taylor

Wigtown – Roddie, McIntyre, Rennie, Agnew, Richardson, Cluckie, Jones, Dunn, Jamieson, Dougan, Miller
Subs – Robertson, Lowe, Chilton, Rose, Gerrit, Whyte (gk)

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, Boyle, Latta, Young, S Wilson, Milliken, Shankland, Pooler
Subs – McPherson, White, Drummond, Hyslop, G Wilson, Hewitt (gk)


Date Time Competition Season
August 13, 2016 15:00 SCOTTISH CUP 2016/17


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Wigton & Bladnoch000
Auchinleck Talbot044

Wigton & Bladnoch

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
10Mark Shankland 14Forward2000
 Total 2000



League Table