Troon v Auchinleck Talbot


Report: Murray Steele, Media: Lee Conn, Photography: Craig McGhee.

Talbot battled hard for a share of the spoils as they fought out a goalless draw with Troon at Portland Park. It came at a cost though as both Healy and Glavin had to leave the field injured.

The home side had an early chance when Gilroy was fouled just outside the area. Shankland took the set piece and curled it over the wall but Glavin made a good stop low to his right.

Seven mins in and Gillies picked up the night’s first caution. It looked a harsh one but his case wasn’t helped by Fulton’s theatrics.

In the 9th minute Healy collapsed with no one near him as he went for a 50/50 ball. Hopefully, it wasn’t as bad as it looked but he had to be stretchered from the field with Armstrong on in his place.

Talbot’s first real attack came in the 17th minute. Boyd was fouled but managed to release it to Thomson on the right and play went on. He raced past Moore down the right of the area but Sherrie got across to slide it out for the corner and Wardrope’s delivery failed to beat the first man.

A minute later Talbot came close when Boyle went for a snap shot from just outside the area that flew wide of the right hand post.

Fulton had his name taken in the 23rd minute when he caught Glavin late after the keeper had cleared.

There were few chances at either end and one of Talbot’s better ones arrived in the 29th minute. Talbot won a corner on the right which Wardrope delivered straight into the centre where McPherson met it but his header just cleared the bar.

The Talbot fans and bench felt they weren’t getting much joy from the ref and frustrations grew as a series of contentious decisions went Troon’s way.

Both sides were competing fiercely but without any end product and the half ended in stalemate.

Talbot came out with a change at the start of the 2nd half with Smith on for Gillies.

The first threat of the 2nd half went Troon’s way when Fulton looked to be in down the left but McPherson got back to make a timely challenge to put it behind for the corner.

In the 56th minute Talbot won a corner down the right. When it came over Slooves just failed to connect in the centre and the ball came out to Thomson on the left. He squared it for Boyd 15 yards out but his shot flew straight at Burgess.

Troon ought to have been a man down in the 59th minute. Fulton was already on a yellow when he crudely barged into Armstrong as he broke up the wing. It looked a no brainer but the referee bottled the decision and Troon’s management stepped in – subbing Fulton before he got himself sent off with Jamieson on in his place.

The game continued to be a midfield battle with neither side making a great deal of headway in the final third.

In the 70th minute McCloskey was cautioned for a foul on Thomson.

Two mins later the Bot fans were fuming again. Smith was taken out off the ball in the Troon half, nothing was given, and Troon broke on the counter winning a free kick 25 yards out with Armstrong picking up a caution into the bargain. Shankland took it and his shot clipped the top of the wall and went over the bar.

Troon now made a further change with Boyd on for Docherty.

In the 77th minute Smith did well out on the left, carrying it forward past a couple of challenges before cutting it back toward Boyle who failed to connect at the edge of the area.

Troon had a half chance in the 79th minute. Play was switched to Moore on the right of the area but he fired wide of target. Boyle was then cautioned for an earlier challenge.

Talbot then almost gifted Troon the lead when Glavin was slack with a ball out at the re-start. It came to Jamieson on the left of the area but Glavin recovered well to get swiftly off his line and make the block. Unfortunately, he took a heavy knock in the process and after a lengthy stoppage he couldn’t continue and Henry came on. Troon also made a change with Marks on for Shankland.

A minute from the end of normal time Talbot had a late chance to win it. A ball up the right found Langan who squared it into the centre of the box to find Boyd. He had his back to goal but wheeled round and fired wide of the right hand post.

Talbot now made a late change with McMillan on for Boyle.

As the game moved into injury time Talbot won a shy down the right and McMillan arrowed a long throw into the middle where Slooves headed it over the bar.

Deep into added time Troon passed up a good chance to grab the win. Millar slid the ball out to Gilroy in space on the left and he whipped over a dangerous cross that Marks headed over the bar when he looked favourite to score.

Next up for Talbot it is back to Beechwood this Saturday where they face Clydebank.

Troon – Burgess, McLevy, McCloskey, Docherty, Sherrie, Millar, Ben Black, Moore, Shankland, Fulton, Gilroy

Subs – Wilson, Marks, Richardson, Boyd, Strain, Jamieson, Fisher (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, Healy, Wilson, Slooves, McPherson, Langan, Boyle, Wardrope, Boyd, Gillies, Thomson

Subs – Armstrong, Black, Lennox, Trialist, McMillan, Henry (gk)

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Ross Taylor celebrates scoring Talbot’s opener and his first competitive goal, as ‘Gee’ races to congratulate him too. 0-1.


TROON PULL LEVEL!!! Andy Leishman tries his best to stop it but can only watch the ball smash into the bottom far away corner of the net. 1-1.


Troon are over the moon after equalising.


TALBOT TAKE THE LEAD AGAIN!!! Samson fires the ball across the face of goal and ‘Gee’ gets on the end of it to slot the ball home. 1-2.


Pleasure and pain!


Samson is all smiles, as he races to celebrate Graham Wilson’s goal.


Should this have been given as a goal? You decide!


Tucker roars out the orders.


Troon go very close to scoring but, although Big Andy makes sure, the ball was always sailing over the bar.


Leishman goes full stretch in order to tip the ball over the bar.



Talbot fans enjoyed their trip to the seaside with sunny skies and all 3 points after a hard fought away win.

Troon had an early chance within a minute when Talbot were caught daydreaming at a throw in. The shy was taken quickly and thrown to Montgomerie who prodded a shot across the face of goal and wide of the right post.

The home side were making the early running and had another chance in the 5th minute. A long diagonal ball picked out Jamieson bursting into the area down the left. He tried to take it wide of Leishman but Andy did enough to stop him and McPherson got back to clear.

Talbot’s first glimpse at goal came in the 8th minute when they forced a corner down the left. Wardrope swept it deep beyond the far post where McCracken headed it into the side-netting.

A few minutes later Taylor had a go from distance – lashing a shot over the bar from 25 yards after being set up by McCracken.

The Bot were having a good spell and Samson timed his run to perfection to race clear down the left and cut into the area but his ball across goal for Wilson was cut out by Burgess at his near post.

Slack play midway inside the Bot half gifted the ball to Troon and ended with Ben Black having an effort at goal from the edge of the area but his low drive was easily held by Leishman.

Talbot came close to taking the lead in the 23rd minute. McCracken lifted it down the centre where Samson laid the ball off into the path of Taylor who burst into the area only to see the advancing Burgess parry his shot away.

Two minutes later it was Leishman to the rescue for Talbot. Gilroy latched onto a ball over the top and broke into the area. McPherson got back but Gilroy was able to swivel and get his shot away with Leishman diving low to his left to turn it past the post. Troon then had another opportunity from the resultant corner which Josh Black met at the back post but he sent his header over the bar.

The home side were made to regret this missed opportunity as Talbot went straight down the field and took the lead. Samson bested Sherrie on the left and raced for the bye line before pulling it back across the area where ROSS TAYLOR ran onto it to bury a shot beyond Burgess.

The goal rocked Troon and Talbot had a half chance to double their lead soon after when Wilson & Samson combined to create an opening for Wardrope who fired straight at Burgess from 20 yards.

A minute later Talbot won a free kick wide of the Troon penalty area after McCloskey clipped Taylor’s heels. Wardrope swung a dangerous ball to the back post which Sherrie headed clear but only as far as Armstrong 15 yards out but he didn’t catch it right and the ball bobbled through to the keeper.

The Bot had a good chance to double their advantage in the 31st minute. Taylor clipped a good ball through to find Samson racing into the area down the right. He fired it over the advancing Burgess but his shot cleared the crossbar.

The match was all square after 34 minutes with Troon grabbing a spectacular equaliser. Morrison sent a high hanging cross over from the right touchline which GILROY met 1st time on the volley sending it back across goal and beyond the helpless Leishman.

Talbot tried to find an immediate response and Burgess was called into action in the 36th minute when he produced a good save to keep out Graham Wilson’s header on target.

The Bot ended the half on the front foot. In the 43rd minute Wardrope knocked it wide to find Armstrong and he pinged it to the left wing to find Samson whose cross was headed just over by Wilson.

A minute later Talbot won a free kick wide on the left following a foul on Aiden Wilson. Wardrope lifted it into the area where Sherrie headed it clear but only as far as Healy who hit it 1st time from 20 yards bringing out a good save from Burgess.

As the half moved into added time Talbot had one last chance when Samson laid the ball off to the overlapping Wardrope who burst into the area but saw his shot blocked by Burgess and the half ended all square.

Tucker made a change at the interval with Glasgow coming on in place of Wardrope.

It was Talbot’s turn to be first out the blocks in the 2nd half and the Bot nearly regained the lead within a minute of the restart. Graham Wilson’s ball found Samson running in behind the defence and he prodded it past the keeper only to see it come back off the left post before being cleared.

McCloskey received a caution in the 47th minute for a trip on Taylor resulting in a Bot free kick just outside the area. Graham Wilson shaped up to hit but instead squared the ball across to Stafford whose powerful drive was blocked en route.

The Bot were back on the attack in the 51st minute when Glasgow skipped past several challenges down the left before slinging a ball across goal that just eluded Samson in the centre. Taylor retrieved it & fed it back to Healy whose dangerous cross to the back post was headed behind by Morrison.

Both keepers were then called into action – firstly Leishman moved smartly off his line to read a ball over the top and clear the danger then down the other end Burgess had to deal with Healy’s free kick from the left touchline which was curled to the back post. The keeper came to claim it, dropped it, but no Bot player was on hand to take advantage and the defence cleared.

Armstrong had his name taken in the 54th minute for a foul on Gallagher and minutes later Troon were forced into a change when Josh Black was unable to continue after taking a knock and he was replaced by ex-Bot player Steven Wilson.

Talbot came within a whisker of retaking the lead in the 59th minute. Samson’s shot at goal was blocked for a corner on the left and when Glasgow delivered it to the far post Graham Wilson thought he’d scored but Burgess was able to claw his header off the line and the officials dismissed Talbot’s claims that the ball had went over the line.

The goal wasn’t long delayed though and Talbot moved back in front in the 62nd minute. Taylor played a good ball down the right to release Samson and he drilled it low across the face of goal where GRAHAM WILSON was on hand to turn it home.

Troon now made a further change with Fulton on for Ben Black.

In the 72nd minute Talbot made their 2nd sub of the afternoon with Ally Park coming on in place of Armstrong and Park was soon involved playing a one-two with Taylor before Taylor drilled a shot just wide of the right hand post.

Troon hadn’t really turned up for the 2nd half but they had a chance to draw level in the 76th minute. The ball fell to Gilroy in space on the left of the area but he snatched at it and mishit it across the face of goal. It came to Wilson whose shot was blocked behind for the corner.

Troon then had another chance a minute later. Morrison’s cross was cut out by Aiden Wilson at the expense of a corner. When the corner came over Sherrie met it but mistimed it and sent a free header well wide of goal.

With 10 minutes remaining Taylor’s pass sent Glasgow clear on the left and he whipped over a great ball but there was no one in the centre to turn it home.

In the 82nd minute Park conceded a free kick out on the right near the corner flag. Gallagher lifted it into the centre where it was headed clear. The ball came to Gilroy but his shot was blocked in the crowded area.

Both sides now made a further change with Boylan on for Graham Wilson and Boyd replacing Montgomerie.

With the clock running down Talbot made a late change with the tiring Samson making way for Ballantyne.

In the closing minute there was action at both ends of the field. Firstly Troon had a half chance to snatch a late equaliser when a cross from the right found Wilson in space but he mishit his effort then down the other end Glasgow was hauled back by Sherrie just outside the area resulting in a free kick. Healy took it and curled a shot inches over the bar.

Soon after the final whistle sounded and Talbot had secured their 1st win of the new season. Next week it’s back to Beechwood where Talbot will face Darvel.

Troon FC – Burgess, McCloskey, Sherrie, Ben Black, Montgomerie, Gilroy, Smith, Morrison, Josh Black, Jamieson, Gallagher

Subs – Wilson, Fulton, Boyd, Vernon, Fisher

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Healy, Taylor, Graham Wilson, Samson, Wardrope

Subs – Glasgow, Boylan, Park, Ballantyne, Heaney

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Aiden looks on, while ‘Gee’ fires the ball up the park.


A middle of the park aerial battle for McCracken, as he makes sure he clears the danger.


The game gets temporarily paused for a very nasty head knock, as the Troon player awaits getting treatment.


With Samson back on his feet after the head knock, McCracken passes on some advice for when the game resumes.


McPherson and ex-Talbot player Stephen Wilson, exchange words about the previous incident.


TWO GREAT CHANCES!!! Samson fires an awkward header towards goal and…


…after the header gets saved, Keir races in for the rebound but again, the ‘keeper pulls off a great save.


On the edge the box, Mason does his best to evade the challenge and race in on goal.


THAT’S GOTTA HURT!!! Keir Samson winces in pain, as he takes a very sore one in this challenge.


While trying to race up the middle of the park, ‘Pee-wee’ gets stopped in his tracks by a great tackle.


With the head wound from the earlier challenge opening up again, the Troon player gets subbed for his own safety.


BROTHER VS BROTHER. Stephen and Graham keep their eyes firmly on the ball, as all family loyalties are forgotten about for 90 minutes.


Both sets of players do their best to try and make sure their game plan doesn’t hit the buffers and manage to keep their league aspirations on track.


Samson tries to muscle his way past his opponent while still keeping his eye on the ball.


Hyslop tries to evade this challenge while going on the attack.


HOW’S THAT NOT A GOAL??? ‘Pee-wee’ rises the highest and fires a header towards goal where…


…the ball some how manages to stay out of the net. I still can’t workout how it didn’t go in!


Anger certainly gets vented here. All that’s missing is steam coming out his ears!


Is it football or rugby we’re playing? While trying to keep hold of the ball, Samson gets ‘manhandled’ and wins a foul and…


…he certainly lets his feelings known afterwards.


Glasgow has a go at the referee and certainly puts across his view of the game.


After giving away a foul, Troon’s Stephen Wilson, disects the incident with his team-mate.


Darren Miller winds up some of the Talbot support and…


…he certainly lets them know that they took it, hook, line and sinker.


‘Shankers’ makes a very welcome return to action after being out injured.


GOAL GLORIOUS GOAL!!! With the game nearing the end, Talbot finally make the breakthrough. After a wee bit of magic from ‘Shankers’, the ball rolls into space and ‘Pee-wee’ races in and coolly slots the ball home. 0-1.


Hyslop and Stafford are all smiles, as they race away to celebrate.


Nothing quite like celebrating a late winner!


McCracken gets the better of his old team-mate, as he gets to the ball first.


All get in an orderly line please!


WHAT-A-GOAL!!! There was just enough time left for Talbot to make sure of the win, as Keir Samson squeezes the ball home via an acrobatic over-head spectacular. 0-2.


Well…you certainly did silence Troon with that brilliant goal Keir!



Talbot left it late but came good in the end to claim all 3 points at Portland Park and narrow the gap on leaders Pollok.

Both sides set a helter-skelter pace from the start with challenges coming thick and fast and neither side being able to settle on the ball.

In the 19th minute an aerial challenge saw Samson & Jamieson clash heads with both players flat out on the turf. Troon’s Jamieson came off worst & the game was held up for a while to allow treatment before play eventually resumed with Gallagher returning to the fray bandaged up.

Neither keeper had been called upon until the 28th minute when Stafford’s cross was met by Samson and Fisher blocked his header to his right. The ball went loose & Samson went for the rebound but couldn’t force it home.

Two minutes later Talbot had another opportunity. Mason dribbled into the box but was crowded out by a posse of Troon defenders. The ball broke back to Graham Wilson and he pinged a cross over onto the head of Samson but he couldn’t keep it down.

In the 34th minute Moore picked up the game’s 1st caution when he flattened Glasgow 25 yards out. The resultant free kick was a bit too wide right for Glasgow to go for goal & instead he whipped in a dangerous cross that flicked off a Troon head & headed out for a shy.

Talbot’s next attack saw Aiden Wilson float a cross to the back post which was headed back across goal. Samson just failed to connect and after a bit of a scramble in the box Troon were finally able to clear their lines.

A poor refereeing call cost Talbot in the 43rd minute. Samson was taken out late after flicking the ball into the path of Aiden Wilson who was surging clean through on the keeper but the ref blew up too quickly not allowing Talbot the advantage and brought it back for a free kick and booked S Wilson.

Glasgow took the free kick and powered an effort on target from 30 yards that Fisher gathered at the 2nd attempt.

As the half moved into added time it was the home side who finished the stronger. Leishman did well to punch Morrison’s cross clear and Troon then managed to force a series of corners which Black swung into the goal mouth but the defence stood firm & Leishman clutched one under the bar as Talbot held out to go in goal less at the interval.

Talbot started the 2nd half brightly & threatened in the 51st minute when Hyslop’s clever reverse pass sent Stafford free. He cut it back across goal where Sherrie did well to clear for a corner. Glasgow played the corner into the near post area where Samson headed wide of target.

The home side were forced into a change in the 53rd minute when Jamieson’s head wound started bleeding again & he left the field to be replaced by McCloskey.

Troon ought to have taken the lead in the 59th minute. They won a free kick wide on the left that was played into the centre where it was headed clear. The ball came out to Moore in space on the right and he crossed it over to the far post where Miller met it but steered his free header across goal and wide of the left post when it looked easier to score.

Talbot made their first change in the 67th minute with Boylan coming on in place of Mason.

The sub was involved straight away when Glasgow’s ball out right found Boylan on the overlap and his fierce ball across goal was bundled behind by Fisher at his near post. Armstrong came across to take the corner on the right & when it came across Hyslop met it & glanced a header that beat Fisher but came off the base of the right post & ran back across goal before going behind for the goal kick.

Talbot were now taking command & Maitland could easily have put the ball into his own net in the 71st minute when Glasgow whipped a dangerous ball across goal that Troon’s centre-half hoofed over his own crossbar from close range.

In the 76th minute Talbot were awarded a free kick 30 yards out near the left touchline after Miller’s foul on Glasgow; however it was Glasgow who ended up in the ref’s notebook, presumably for dissent. Glasgow went for goal & curled a shot shot just over the bar.

As the game entered the closing stages both sides made a further change – J Black replacing B Black for the home side & Shankland coming on for Glasgow.

The change instantly paid off for Talbot with Shankland involved in the move that saw Talbot take the lead in the 86th minute. His backheel flat footed the defence sending Stafford through on the right and when he cut it back HYSLOP ran onto it to steer a shot into the empty net.

Talbot kept the pressure up and had a half chance to kill the game off in the 88th minute. The Bot were awarded a free kick out on the right following S Wilson’s handball which Shankland took. Troon did well to defend his delivery but at the expense of a corner and when Shankland’s corner came deep to the back post Hyslop met it but headed over the bar.

A minute later Talbot won a free kick just wide of the penalty area after Sherrie went right through the back of Stafford for which he received a deserved booking. Shankland swept it to the back post where Troon managed to glance it behind for the corner.

Deep into injury time Talbot grabbed their 2nd to make sure of the points. Sherrie’s sliced clearance came out to Boylan in space down the right. He crossed it into the centre where KIER SAMSON acrobatically steered an overhead kick inside the right post to make it 2-0.

Tucker now completed his changes with Samson making way for Robbie McCracken shortly before the ref blew for full-time.

Another good win on their travels for Talbot who now return to Beechwood mid-week where they face Kilbirnie in the match that fell foul of last week’s storms.

Troon – Fisher, McLevy, Maitland, Miller, Sherrie, B Black, S Wilson, Moore, Morrison, Jamieson, Gallagher

Subs – McCloskey, Vernon, Boyd, J Black, Macauley, O’Neil (gk)

Troon FC v Auchinleck Talbot

Stephen Wilson tries to muscle his way down the wing.


Everybody in the ‘line’ tries to get a good view of Gareth doing his best to win the ball back.


He certainly looks shocked with whatever is being said to him here!


Troon manage to find a gap within the Talbot wall but still fail to find the net.


It’s a hard fought battle here to win back the ball.


‘Shankers’ goes for the spectacular from the edge of the box but fails to open the scoring.


El Capitano, Wullie Lyle, looks to get another attack started.


DEADLOCK BROKEN!!! A glancing header from Gareth Armstrong sends the ball into the back of the net and puts Talbot into the lead. 0-1.


Troon vent their frustration, while Mark congratulates Gareth on his opening goal.


TALBOT DOUBLE THEIR LEAD!!! Stephen Wilson gets onto the end of a long pass and prods the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 0-2.


It’s happy smiles all round after Stephen nets Talbot’s second.


A goal always gives the team ‘a lift’……eh Mark?


Jamie Glasgow makes sure he keeps hold of the ball.


Talbot really should have had a third here, as McCracken agonisingly misses connecting with the ball right in front of the goal.


It may have been brass monkeys but this Talbot fan was still showing off his cheeky monkey smile!


Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot clinched the 2018/19 league title in style as they romped to a 5-0 away win at Troon as Hurlford fell to defeat at the hands of Rob Roy.

From the outset Talbot played at a high tempo and had the hosts on the back foot from the off. There were several near things before Talbot made the breakthrough in the 6th minute. Samson scampered clear on the right and pulled it back into the centre where DWAYNE HYSLOP stroked it past the keeper from 15 yards.

The early goal spurred Talbot on & they laid siege to the Troon defence. McCreadie did well to head Samson’s cross clear at his near post and shortly after Johnstone had to be at full stretch to take Graham Wilson’s cross from the left wing.

Troon hadn’t been at the races but did have an effort at goal with quarter of an hour gone. Pooler squared the ball inside to McCrea who tried his luck from 25 yards; drilling a powerful shot a few feet over the bar.

A minute later, and a needless penalty gave Talbot the opportunity to double their lead. McCreadie blatantly shoved Graham Wilson in the back as he shielded the ball going away from goal and the ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. GORDON POPE did the rest; sending Johnstone the wrong way to put Talbot 2-0 ahead.

It wasn’t McCreadie’s evening and he found himself in the ref’s notebook with 20 mins gone when he barged into Wilson. Pope took the free kick & sent it out wide to Graham Wilson whose cross was headed just over the bar by McCracken at the back post.

A minute later the woodwork prevented Talbot from adding to their lead. Hyslop played a ball in behind the defence for Samson to chase down. Johnstone raced out his area to clear but his attempted clearance came straight to Armstrong on the right wing. He lifted a cross into the area where Graham Wilson climbed to head it goal ward only to see it crash off the bar with the keeper stranded.

Talbot worked the keeper again in the 28th minute. Samson brushed Strachan off the ball inside the Troon area. The defender went over easily but the ref waved play on and Samson fired a shot from a tight angle that Johnstone blocked at his near post.

The home side now made a change with McCrea leaving the field to be replaced by Fulton.

The Troon goal had a close call in the 31st minute when Talbot won a free kick out on the right. Glasgow fizzed in a dangerous delivery that flicked off Hyslop’s head before cannoning off McCracken a few yards out and flying over the bar.

McCreadie had a lucky escape in the 40th minute when he sent Glasgow crashing as he broke forward. It looked worthy of a 2nd yellow but the ref contented himself with awarding Talbot the free kick 30 yards out. Graham Wilson took it and fired it up and over the wall but Johnstone was well positioned to pluck it out the air under his crossbar.

Talbot had one final chance to add to their lead before the interval. Glasgow played it into the feet of Samson who returned it back into the path of Glasgow but he couldn’t beat the keeper from 15 yards with Johnstone coming off his line block his shot.

Perhaps aware of the Hurlford score line Talbot took their foot off the gas at the start of the 2nd half and Troon enjoyed a good spell of pressure.

The home side nearly pulled one back in the 52nd minute. Morrison got free down the left and cut it back to Maley whose side-footed finish was brilliantly saved by Leishman at his right hand post.

Two minutes later Talbot were nearly caught on the counter-attack. Glasgow slung a free kick into the Troon box that was cleared out to the right touchline where McCracken lost out to Chatham. Troon then swiftly broke down the right with Maley playing it to Stevenson whose cross into the area was cleared by Lyle.

Talbot needed something to spark them back to life & it duly came in the 56th minute. Hyslop swivelled to leave his marker for dead & played it to Armstrong on the left of the area. He left a couple of defenders in his wake thanks to some nifty footwork; all that was missing was a goal to top off the move but Armstrong’s low drive was blocked by Paterson.

An hour in Talbot had the home defence stretched when Lyle’s pass sent Glasgow free on the right. He whipped a great low ball across the face that only needed a touch but unfortunately there were not takers.

Tucker made his first change in the 64th minute with McDowall coming on for Glasgow.

Talbot are always a threat at set pieces and nearly added to their goal haul in the 65th minute. Samson forced a corner down the right that he took himself. He delivered it into the 6-yard area where Hyslop headed it down into the turf but it skipped up off the hard surface and bounced over the bar.

Two minutes later Samson made a great burst down the left into the penalty box. He left McCreadie in his wake but the ball just wouldn’t sit right for him to get his strike away and Johnstone came off his line to do enough to put it behind for the corner. When the corner came in Troon could only clear it out as far as Pope who drilled a low shot on target that Strachan cleared off the line inside the left post.

Talbot were rewarded for their pressure in the 70th minute when they grabbed a 3rd goal to make certain of the victory. Samson kept the ball well under pressure just inside the Troon half before sliding a pass through to JACK MCDOWALL who raced clean through the centre, knocking it past the advancing keeper, before passing it into the empty net.

Talbot now made a double substitution with Samson and Graham Wilson making way for McIlroy and Shankland.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot made it 4-0. McIlroy won a corner on the right when McCreadie cut out his ball across the area and when the corner came in ROSS HARVEY met it unopposed to nod Talbot further ahead.

Troon now made a further change with Reid replacing Green.

McIlroy very nearly got on the score sheet in the 81st minute. A quickly taken corner saw Shankland whip a cross into the near post where McIlroy saw his header deflected off target off a defender.

With 8 minutes remaining Troon completed their changes when Martin came on for Pooler.
Johnstone denied McCracken a goal in the 84th minute. Shankland got away down the right and hung a cross into the goal mouth where McCracken met it to head on target but the keeper did well to save it on the line.

Chatham received a yellow card in the 86th minute for a professional foul on McCracken as he raced toward the box. Shankland took the free kick from 25 yards but suffice to say it wasn’t one of his better efforts as he got under it to balloon a shot well over.

A minute from time Talbot completed the scoring. GORDON POPE surged forward before passing it into the feet of McIlroy on the left of the area. He laid it back into his path and Pope drilled a low shot across Johnstone into the far corner to grab is 2nd and Talbot’s 5th of the evening.

A superb performance from Talbot who were crowned worthy league champions with 4 games to spare.

Troon Juniors – Johnstone, Paterson, Morrison, McCreadie, Strachan, Chatham, Green, McCrea, Stevenson, Maley, Pooler

Subs – Reid, Crawford, McClay, Fulton, Martin

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McPherson, McCracken, Hyslop, Armstrong, Graham Wilson, Samson, Glasgow

Subs – McIlroy, Shankland, McDowall, Waite, Stephen Wilson

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot ended their competitive fixtures of 2016 on a high note with a valuable away win at Troon.
Troon made the stronger start but squandered a couple of good chances in the opening spell, which they were to rue later on.
The home side should’ve gone one ahead within 2 minutes. A simple ball up the right found Robertson running clear inside the Bot area & he squared it across goal. Moore only had to sweep it home but completely mishit it.
Talbot’s first attack came in the 5th minute. Collins failed to cut out a ball down the right & Milliken raced onto it & whipped a great cross over which Barbour had to turn behind with Shankland waiting to pounce; though Talbot could make nothing of the resultant corner.
Two minutes later McCracken did well out on the left, first winning the ball & then floating a diagonal cross over which Hyslop just failed to connect with in the centre.
Troon very nearly took the lead in the 14th minute. Brown chipped a ball over the Bot defence to send Nisbet through on goal. Leishman was quickly off his line to make the block but the ball cannoned off McGoldrick & looked to be heading in for an own goal until McGoldrick raced back to clear it from the goal mouth.
Two minutes later Troon missed their 2nd sitter. Muir whipped a low cross in from the right which Leishman failed to cut out. Robertson met it in front of goal but somehow managed to steer his header well wide of the left post.
Junior football wouldn’t be complete without puzzling ref decisions & the man in the middle got it wrong in the 20th minute when he booked McGoldrick for winning the ball cleanly.
The opening goal came in the 25th minute. Graham Wilson skipped past the challenge of Collins & raced down the left only to be impeded by Barbour. Shankland took the free kick & curled it perfectly to the far post where BOYLE climbed to head home from close range.
The game’s 1st substitution came before the game could re-start, with Forsyth on for Robertson for the hosts.
The longer the half went the more comfortable Talbot looked with Troon offering little threat. The home side had a flurry of pressure in the closing minutes of the half but without testing Leishman.
Troon opened the 2nd half brightly with Nisbet’s speculative effort forcing a save out of Leishman soon after the re-start but this proved a false dawn.
Graham Wilson came close to putting Talbot two ahead in the 52nd minute. He surged down the left, riding a couple of challenges before racing into the box & firing just over the bar.
A minute later, the game turned decisively in Talbot’s favour. Milliken raced onto a pass in behind the defence & as he went to break into the area was wrestled down by McKnight. The ref sent Troon’s centre half off for denying a goal scoring opportunity & awarded Talbot a free kick on the dee at the edge of the box. SHANKLAND took it & as he’s done so often this season he rocketed a beauty of a shot beyond the wall & past the despairing dive of Semple to put Talbot 2-0 ahead.
Troon made their 2nd change just before the hour mark when Maley came on in place of Brown.
McCracken almost extended Talbot’s lead in the 62nd minute when he turned Brown inside the box before firing over the bar.
The game was wrapped up in the 66th minute when Talbot grabbed their third. White slid the ball out to GRAHAM WILSON on the left & he showed a cool head, cutting inside past Brown & slotting it past Semple.
Within a minute it ought to have been four nil. The Troon defence were posted missing when a ball found Milliken free on the right & he drew Semple before squaring it across for Shankland who hoisted the bar over the bar.
Tucker made a triple substitution in the 68th minute with Shankland, White, & Graham Wilson making way for Pooler, Stevenson & Steven Wilson.
Troon did well to keep their heads up & battling but the game was long lost & Talbot looked well in control.
In the 82 minute Troon made their final change when Curragh replaced Muir & the sub squandered a good chance to grab a consolation two minutes from time. A ball in from the left found him free in the area but he hesitated just a fraction & when he went to hit it Boyle put enough pressure on him to force the mistake and he slid it past the right post.
This was a very good away win for Talbot and puts the Bot within touching distance of the league leaders. Here’s hoping for a good start to 2017 for Talbot and all their supporters.

Troon – Semple, Barbour, Brown, McKnight, Collins, Chatham, Muir, Armstrong, Nisbet, Robertson, Moore
Subs – Curragh, Forsyth, Maley, Fraser

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Harvey, McGoldrick, Boyle, McCracken, Hyslop, White, Shankland, G Wilson, Milliken
Subs – S Wilson, Stevenson, Pooler, McPherson, Latta

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot enjoyed a sunny evening at the seaside as the Bot defeated Troon at Portland Park to book their place in the last 4 of the Ardagh cup.
Talbot were the sharper team for most of the 1st half & should have opened the scoring as early as the 3rd minute. Steven Wilson fired a great ball in from the right to find Milliken in space inside the area but he lashed his shot over the bar.
MILLIKEN made no such mistake in the 11th min when he grabbed the opening goal. Stevenson’s ball through the centre parted the Troon defence & Milliken strolled through on goal & knocked it past Semple.
A few minutes later Talbot almost doubled their lead. Lyle’s cross into the area was only headed out as far as Young, who controlled it on his chest before laying it out to the left to find Steven Wilson. He raced into the area & fired for goal but his shot flew wide of the right hand upright.
Talbot were well in command & Hyslop came close in the 19th minute when he met Pope’s hanging cross & looped a header back across goal and wide of the right post.
The 2nd goal was coming & it duly arrived in the 21st minute. HYSLOP rose to meet Young’s corner from the left & he powered a header home at the back post.
Troon’s defence was almost breached again in the 25th minute. Steven Wilson nodded the ball on into the path of Milliken & Collins was at full stretch as he made a crucial sliding tackle to prevent Milliken going through on goal.
Stevenson won Talbot a free kick 30 yards from goal when he was shoved over by Spence in the 33rd minute. Graham Wilson struck it, and his shot flicked off the top of the wall before speeding just wide of the left post. When Young’s corner came over Hyslop met it but placed his header wide of goal.
Troon had offered little but it was game on when they pulled a goal back in the 39th minute. Moore played it into the feet of Robertson who traversed across the penalty area before sliding a pass through to MUIR who slipped the ball past Leishman to reduce the deficit and set up a competitive 2nd half.
The home side started the 2nd half brightly, keeping the ball well but without doing any damage in the final third. For all Troon’s early possession it was Talbot who were 1st to threaten when Hyslop sent Steven Wilson free down the left. He passed it to his brother & Graham’s low drive was heading on target until Chatham blocked it for a corner. Young delivered a dangerous ball across the 6-yard box where Pope had a chance to restore Talbot’s 2 goal cushion but he didn’t make a clean enough contact & glanced his header wide.
Talbot’s next chance came to Graham Wilson. Harvey lifted a free kick down the middle towards Steven Wilson which Collins headed clear. However, it came straight out to Graham Wilson in space just outside the box but he opted to hit it first time and blazed his shot way over the bar.
Robertson isn’t a great favourite of the Bot support partly due to his Jacques Cousteau antics over the years and he annoyed the travelling fans in the 57th min when he fell over rather easily to win a free kick 30 yards from goal. McKnight lifted it up & over the wall but it didn’t dip quickly enough.
Down the other end Milliken showed Collins a clean pair of heels before cutting it across the area but unfortunately for Talbot Stevenson couldn’t quite reach it.
Talbot played well for the most part but weren’t clinical enough in front of goal and squandered a real chance to put the game beyond Troon’s reach in the 65th minute. Young’s inch perfect pass sent Milliken free down the left & when he squared it across the area Steven Wilson should have buried it but he side-footed it past Semple’s right post.
The next attack from Talbot was a solo effort from Steven Wilson as he surged down the right leaving a couple of Troon players in his wake before knocking it round Armstrong & heading into the box. If he’d been able to beat Semple it would’ve been a goal to remember but Troon’s keeper denied him; getting down well to turn his low drive around the post.
With 20 minutes remaining both sides made a change, Forsyth replacing Nisbet for the home side & Thomson making his Talbot debut in place of Stevenson.
The referee wasn’t giving Talbot much & he seemed to be the only one in the ground who failed to spot McKnight’s shove on Milliken as they went for a high ball in the 79th minute.
Troon were throwing bodies forward, hemming Talbot in, making for a nervous closing spell for the visitors. They won a free kick out on the right in the 81st min when Pope fouled Moore & McKnight delivered it to the near post where Chatham ran onto it but placed his free header straight at Leishman.
Tucker now made a further change with Pooler coming on for Milliken.
There was a close call for Talbot in the 85th minute when a Troon corner was only headed out as far as Spence whose low drive from 19 yards flew just wide of the right post, with the aid of a slight deflection from Pope. When the 2nd corner came over it too was only partially cleared, coming out to Muir who fired a low drive on target that Leishman held inside his left post.
In the closing stages Thomson nearly added a 3rd for Talbot when he finished off a move involving Pooler & Steven Wilson by drilling a low shot to Semple’s left but Troon’s keeper produced a fine save to deflect it wide.
Troon kept pressing but couldn’t breach the Talbot defence & the Bot held on to seal a good away win.
Next up for Talbot is the start of the defence of their league title as they travel through to Barrhead to take on Arthurlie.

Troon – Semple, Chatham, Armstrong, McKnight, Collins, Spence, Nisbet, McCrea, Robertson, Muir, Moore
Subs – Forsyth, Harvey, Keenan, Strachan

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, Boyle, Hyslop, Young, Stevenson, G Wilson, Milliken, S Wilson
Subs – Pooler, McPherson, Thomson, Latta, Hewitt

Troon v Auchinleck Talbot

Troon 2 Talbot 1 (HT 1-0) | Auchinleck Talbot Forum

Talbot’s topsy turvy season continued as they went down to defeat at Troon.
It was Talbot who made all of the early running and the Bot had a chance to take the lead inside 2 minutes. Wilson sped down the left & fired a low ball across the area which Young ran onto but he steered his shot well wide of target.
Two minutes later Semple kept Talbot out with a magnificent save. Once again Wilson got free on the left & whipped a cross into the near post. Milliken bulleted a header on target but the keeper made a great stop at his right post to keep it out.
Talbot’s next chance came in the 8th minute. Pope chipped the ball into the area where Wilson flicked it into the path of Boyd. He teed it up for Milliken whose low drive took a deflection & went past the far post for a corner kick.
Semple produced another top save to deny Talbot the lead in the 10th minute. Hyslop slipped the ball into Milliken on the left of the area & he twisted & turned onto his right foot before rifling a shot at goal that Semple tipped onto the crossbar.
The home side were forced into a change in the 13th minute when Keenan fell awkwardly & had to be replaced by McCrae.
Milliken passed up a good chance to put Talbot in front in the 23rd minute. Boyd slid a pass in behind the defence to send Milliken through on the left. He looked favourite to beat Semple to the ball but the keeper raced 30 yards out to get there first & clear the danger.
This proved costly as within a minute the home side took the lead with their 1st effort on target. Lyle intercepted a ball through the middle but gave the ball away 30 yards out. It was played to ARMSTRONG on the left & he hammered an unstoppable shot from 25 yards that flew inside Leishman’s right post.
Talbot picked themselves up and continued to enjoy the bulk of the play but without being able to breach the Troon defence. Wilson sent a dangerous ball into the centre from the left wing that Collins sliced over his own bar and then Milliken broke down the left & fired a good ball across to the far post but there were no takers.
As the half wore on Troon came more into it & McGoldrick had to look sharp in the 40th minute to get across & block McGill’s shot at goal.
The Bot’s hopes took a blow early in the 2nd half when they conceded a soft goal in the 51st minute. There looked to be no danger when a high ball went down the right but the ball skited off the top of Lyle’s head & came straight across to FORSYTH, who clean through on goal, took full advantage & rolled the ball under Leishman to make it 2-0.
The 2nd goal knocked the stuffing out of Talbot & with Troon content to sit on their lead the game stalemated with nothing much happening in the final third.
Tucker made two changes as Talbot chased the game, firstly Shankland came on for Boyd and then Love replaced Latta.
Wilson picked up a caution in the 73rd minute for a late challenge.
Talbot set up an action packed ending to the game when they pulled a goal back in the 80th minute. Shankland raced up the right before playing it across the face of goal for MILLIKEN to place inside the right post.
Two minutes later there was a scramble in the Troon goal mouth. Love won a corner & when Shankland delivered it, McCracken guided a header back across goal. Pope tried to force it home from close range but there were enough bodies on the line to block him & clear it to safety.
Collins was cautioned in the 87th minute for a late challenge that resulted in a Bot free kick 35 yards from goal. Shankland squared it for Pope to hit but his low drive went well wide of target.
As the game moved into injury time there were close calls at both ends. Troon almost extended their lead when McGill raced clear of McGoldrick on the left. He carried it into the area but Leishman was swiftly off his line to dive at his feet & smother the ball.
Deep into injury time, Milliken came within a whisker of levelling. He raced onto a through ball down the left of the area & drilled a low shot past Semple that came off the inside of the right post & out to safety.
A disappointing night for Talbot who started the game on fire but fizzled out once Troon got their 2nd goal. There’s no time for dwelling on the result though as Talbot’s next outing is a visit to Lugar to face old foes Cumnock in the semi-final of the West.Troon – Semple, Armstrong, Keenan, McKnight, Collins, Chatham, Harvey, Spence, Forsyth, Muir, McGill
Subs – McCrae, Moore, Curragh, Maley, FraserTalbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, McCracken, Boyd, Young, Hyslop, Graham Wilson, Milliken, Latta
Subs – Shankland, Love, White, Findlay, Johnstone

Read more: