Rossvale FC v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot might well have won by more but got the job done as they saw off Rossvale 4-2 to book their place in the next round of the Junior cup where Darvel await.

The game got off to a sluggish start with little of note happening in the opening spell.

In the 18th minute Elliot picked up a yellow card when he wrestled Samson back as he tried to break forward.

The first effort at goal came in the 20th minute. Boylan cut in off the left but he pulled his shot well wide of target.

A minute later came close when Mason fed the ball to Boylan on the left. He cut it back across goal where Samson stretched to meet it and sent it wide of the right hand post.

Talbot kept the momentum going and only a fine stop from Goodfellow prevented Boylan giving Talbot the lead when he latched onto Wardrope’s ball over the defence.

The goal had been coming and what a strike it was that gave Talbot the lead in the 24th minute. Armstrong slid the ball into the feet of AARON MASON 25 yards out and he gave the keeper no chance as he hammered a shot in off the inside of the right post.

It was now one-way traffic and the only real surprise is that it took until the 32nd minute til Talbot added their 2nd of the afternoon. Wardrope angled a cross in from the right toward Boylan who was sandwiched between 2 defenders. No one could get a touch and it flew beyond the far post where Mason retrieved it and cut it back for BRYAN BOYLAN to pass it home from 6 yards.

In the 37th minute Talbot threatened again when Wardrope knocked it into the feet of Mason. He had his back to goal but swiftly turned his marker before firing a shot just over the crossbar.

Two minutes later Samson and Wardrope combined down the right and when Wardrope swept a ball across the 6-yard area Boylan just failed to make contact in the centre.

Talbot looked to be on easy street but a defensive lapse gave Rossvale hope in the 40th minute. There appeared little danger when a long pass was pinged into the Talbot box but there was a breakdown in communication between Leishman & McPherson with both leaving the ball to one another. Leishman did get a hand to it but as the ball broke loose McPherson nudged Malcolm over and the ref pointed to the spot and booked McPherson for the challenge. MALCOLM took the spot kick and sent Leishman the wrong way to narrow the gap.

The loss of the goal spurred Talbot forward and in the 42nd minute Ballantyne tested the home keeper when he latched onto a weak clearance at a corner to send a low right footed drive on target that Goodfellow saved low to his right.

As the half moved into added time Talbot restored their two goal cushion. Boylan skipped past Crumlish down the left and floated a cross over to the far post where AIDEN WILSON headed home from close range to make it 3-1 to the Bot at half-time.

Talbot started the 2nd half positively and nearly put the game out of sight in the 48th minute. Samson headed the ball into the path of Ballantyne and Goodfellow did well to block his powerful drive. The rebound came to Boylan but again the keeper did well – rushing off his line to force Boylan to hurry and he sent his shot over the bar.

The Bot’s next chance came in the 52nd minute when they won a corner down the right. Wardrope hoisted it deep beyond the back post where Crawford directed a free header back across goal that Mason turned wide of target.

In the 54th minute McAvoy had his name taken for a trip on Samson.

You couldn’t see any way back into the game for Rossvale but once again they nabbed a goal out of the blue in the 58th minute. Newlands sent a dangerous cross over from the left that Leishman came for but didn’t claim and the ball bounced off AIDEN WILSON near the back post for an o.g. to make it 3-2.

In the 63rd minute Elliot had a lucky escape when he hauled Mason down after he’d turned him just outside the box. It looked worthy of a 2nd yellow but the referee contented himself with awarding the free kick. Wardrope took it and went for goal only to see Crerand in the defensive wall stick up an arm to block it and the ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot for the 2nd time in the match.

KIER SAMSON took it and coolly slotted the ball home sending Goodfellow the wrong way to restore Talbot’s 2 goal cushion.

Talbot’s next attack was simplicity itself, Leishman bowling the ball out to Boylan in space on the right and he hared up the wing before squaring it across to Samson who saw his effort from 16 yards tipped over the bar. From the resultant corner Talbot had a great shout for a penalty. Boylan appeared to be bundled over as he went to meet it but the ref waved play on and as Rossvale broke down the right Aiden Wilson received a caution for a late challenge.

Rossvale’s keeper was having a good day and he came to their rescue again when Wardrope’s pass split open the defence to send Boylan through on goal but Goodfellow was quickly off his line and managed to block his shot which spun just over the crossbar.

Talbot picked up two bookings in the 73rd minute – firstly Ballantyne was cautioned and then Mason was carded for dissent.

Ballantyne had a couple of chances to extend Talbot’s lead as the Bot ramped up the pressure. Firstly he met a corner from the right at the near post only to see his header scrambled clear. It came back out to him and he drilled a low shot on goal that Goodfellow eventually managed to hold following a spot of juggling.

In the 78th minute Ballantyne passed up a good chance when he strode onto Samson’s cut-back, meeting it 15 yards out but he didn’t make a clean connection and his shot trundled wide of the left post.

A minute later Wardrope lifted a good cross into the centre where Mason glanced a free header wide from close range.

With 10 minutes remaining Tucker made a double switch with Park & Taylor coming on for Mason & Ballantyne and the subs were involved almost immediately with Taylor gathering Boylan’s cross beyond the back post and passing it back into the path of Park who lashed a shot just over the bar.

With a few minutes remaining Talbot made a further change with Shankland making a welcome return when he replaced Wardrope.

As the game headed into injury time Shankland nearly crowned his comeback with a goal. Taylor swept a cross over from the right that Boylan met beyond the far post. He laid it back to Shankland who clattered a shot off the right hand post.

Talbot now made one final change with Lennox coming on for Boylan.

Deep into added time Talbot had one final chance to add to their tally. Lennox cut in off the left and swung a good cross into the centre which was headed clear but only as far as Shankland. He thumped a shot at goal that was heading on target but for Samson who inadvertently blocked it en route.

Talbot’s second 4-2 win on the road in a row. After a string of cup ties it’s back to league business next Saturday as Talbot travel through to Newlandsfield to face on form Pollok.

Rossvale – Goodfellow, Crumlish, O’Donnell, Chatterton, Kelly, Elliot, Newlands, Crerand, Malcolm, McAvoy, Cridge

Subs – Bradshaw, McCormack, McAteer, Tuckett

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Crawford, Armstrong, Wardrope, Ballantyne, Boylan, Samson, Mason

Subs – Taylor, Shankland, Graham Wilson, Park, Lennox, Hewitt

Petershill v Auchinleck Talbot

There was nothing to separate the sides as Talbot and Petershill settled for a point a piece after drawing 1-1 at Petershill Park.

The home side made a bright start and had a half chance in the opening minute. McKenna fed it back to Scott and his first time ball into the centre was met by Shelvey who lifted it over the bar.

Talbot had a chance to test the Peasies defence in the 3rd minute when Samson won a free kick out on the left. Glasgow aimed it beyond the far post where McCracken met it unopposed but he steered his header back across goal rather than on target and Graham Wilson was penalised in the 6- yard area.

The Bot had a let off in the 7th minute when McKenna got on the end of a cross from the left and glanced a header off the face of the bar.

Hewitt received a caution in the 10th minute for a shirt tug on Samson after Kier had spun away from him.

Talbot came close to the opener in the 13th minute. Glasgow turned his marker and sped down the left before feeding the ball into the feet of Samson on the left of the area. He pulled it back across goal where Taylor ran onto it but he bundled his shot wide of the right post.

A minute later Taylor came close again – bursting into the box down the right but the defender did enough to pressure him and McNeil came out to dive at his feet and turn it behind for the corner.

In the 22nd minute Leitch received a yellow card for hauling down Samson.

Petershill caught Talbot on the hop in the 23rd minute when they countered down the left. The ball was switched inside to find Scott but he pulled his shot wide of Leishman’s left hand post.

McGregor came to the home side’s rescue in Talbot’s next attack. Taylor sped down the right and whipped over a cross that looked destined for Graham Wilson’s head at the far post but McGregor got his head to it to take it away from him.

Down the other end Talbot had a near miss in the 29th minute. The Peasies won a corner on the right and when it came over Leitch got a free header 12 yards out but sent it just over the crossbar.

The home side threatened again in the 32nd minute when McKenna ran into space down the left before delivering a good low ball into the centre which was cut out before eventually being cleared.

In the 34th minute Graham Wilson’s clever flick sent Glasgow racing clear on the left. He cut into the box and tried to place it low to McNeil’s left but the keeper got down to make a good stop and Leitch knocked the loose ball behind for a corner.

Just when it looked like the half was meandering its way to a close Talbot took the lead out of the blue in the 42nd minute. A shy from the right found CHRIS STAFFORD and he cut inside and with a burst of speed cut between two defenders before taking it wide of McNeil and slotting home from a tight angle.

Unfortunately, Talbot were barely in front before Petershill levelled in the final minute of the half. Ferns played a good ball across goal from the left which MCKENNA met in the centre and although he didn’t make the cleanest of contacts it was enough to steer it in off the base of the left post to send the teams in level at the break.

Talbot started the 2nd half positively and tested the keeper 2 minutes after the re-start. Graham Wilson played Glasgow in and McNeil got down to block his low right footed shot from the left of the area. The rebound came to Taylor in the air and he sent his header over the bar.

Healy had his name taken in the 48th minute for a foul just inside the Talbot half.

Talbot were forced into an early change in the 52nd minute when McCracken picked up a knock and had to leave the field to be replaced by Ballantyne.

In the 57th minute Ferns curled a dangerous ball over from the right that only needed a touch but there were no takers and Leishman was able to gather.

Play then switched to the other end where Taylor pinged the ball into the feet of Samson inside the area and he was able to spin his man and get a shot off on target but McNeil made a good stop.

Tucker made Talbot’s 2nd change of the afternoon in the 63rd minute when Wardrope came on in place of Taylor.

Talbot’s next chance came after Peasies failed to clear their lines from a corner. Armstrong’s shot from the edge of the area was blocked but it came back to Healy and he drilled a low effort on target that McNeil smothered.

Petershill then picked up two bookings in quick succession – firstly Owens and then moments later Cappie for a high challenge on Aiden Wilson.

In the 70th minute Petershill won a corner down the left when McKenna’s cross was deflected behind. Ferns hit the perfect in swinger to the back post which Graham Wilson had to head clear from the goal mouth. It came out to Gracie on the right edge and he fired a low drive on target but straight at Leishman.

Talbot came close to regaining the lead in the 74th minute. Wardrope gathered just outside the area and cut inside onto his left before steering a shot at goal that crashed off the crossbar.

Petershill now made a change with Branks on for Shelvey.

With 10 minutes remaining Talbot made a double switch with Graham Wilson and Glasgow making way for Mason and Boylan.

As the game moved into the closing stages it was Talbot on the front foot and the Bot had two late chances to claim all three points. In the 86th minute Wardrope fired a great ball across goal from the right but Boylan couldn’t connect it with at the back post.

Two minutes later Mason skipped past his man down the left and chipped it into the centre where Wardrope touched it off into the path of Boylan but he was falling back as he hit it and lashed it over the bar.

Petershill were content to run the clock down and made two late subs with McDonald on for McKenna and Brodie replacing Ferns at the last kick.

Over the piece a draw was about right with neither side having any serious complaints. Next up for Talbot it’s a return visit to Petershill Park though this time to face Rossvale in the Scottish Junior cup but as of the time of writing it’s still unclear when it’s due to take place as Petershill are at home next Saturday.

Petershill – McNeil, Gracie, Scott, McGregor, Hewitt, Leitch, Cappie, Owens, Shelvey, Ferns, McKenna

Subs – McCabe, Brodie, McLaughlan, Branks, Crumlish, McDonald, Lachlan

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Healy, Taylor, Samson, Graham Wilson, Glasgow

Subs – Boylan, Mason, Wardrope, Crawford, Ballantyne, Park

Rossvale v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot kept their winning streak going, but only just, as they were pushed all the way by Rossvale in this mid-week encounter.

The Bot made a positive start and forced a corner in the 3rd minute when Aiden Wilson cut in off the left & saw his shot deflected behind. Shankland hit the corner deep beyond the far post where it found McDowall in space & he angled a low shot across the face and wide of target.

A defensive blunder from the hosts gifted Talbot a clear chance in the 11th minute. A square ball across the back four was easily intercepted by Graham Wilson who raced forward to the edge of the area but fired his shot wide of the keeper’s right post.

After a shaky start Rossvale began to grow into it and they carved out a decent chance in the 25th minute. Dolan threaded a pass down the right channel to find Torrance inside the Talbot box but his low drive was held by Leishman at his left post.

Two minutes later Talbot had a half chance when Shankland found space on the left. He whipped over a dangerous cross that Morgan headed clear but Talbot retrieved it & worked it back out left to Shankland. This time his cross took a deflection off Torrance & floated beyond the keeper & bounced across the goal mouth where Samson slipped whilst trying to get on the end of it.

The home side were forced into a change in the 40th minute when Rodger couldn’t continue and he was eventually replaced by J Young after a lengthy stoppage. Rossvale ended the half strongly but couldn’t test Leishman and the sides went in goal less at the break.

Rossvale made the early running in the 2nd half and won a free kick in a good area within a minute of the re-start. Kerr took it but opted to go for goal rather than cross it and fired a shot well over the bar.

Talbot had a lucky escape in the 51st minute when a pass out right found Dolan in space beyond the far post. He drilled it low across the face of goal where it hit Kerr rather than the other way round & spun off the striker and went wide of Leishman’s right post.

Having weathered the storm Talbot took the lead against the run of play in the 54th minute. Shankland gathered on the right & swept a cross to the far post where Samson met it & nodded it back across goal to GRAHAM WILSON who rammed it home from inside the 6-yard box.

Two minutes later Talbot had a half chance to give themselves a cushion when they broke via Graham Wilson. He carried it forward before sliding it to the left into the path of Aiden Wilson who ran onto it and drilled a shot just over the crossbar.

Down the other end Rossvale had the Talbot defence at full stretch in the 63rd minute when Dolan gathered the ball near the bye line and hit a low ball across the face of goal. There were no takers in the centre but Lyle was forced to put it behind for the corner.

A 2nd goal for Talbot would have settled it and it nearly came in the 65th minute. McDowall picked up on the right edge of the penalty area before laying it out wide to find Shankland. He squared it across the area where Graham Wilson me it 15 yards out and his shot took a slight deflection as it flew over the bar.

Talbot now made a double change with Samson & McDowall making way for Boyd & Stafford as Talbot switched to a 4-4-2. Rossvale also made a change with Diack replacing Kerr up top.

Rossvale had a chance to level it in the 70th minute. Dolan’s cross from the right wasn’t dealt with in and it broke kindly for Hogg 12 yards out but he didn’t catch it cleanly & his right foot shot drifted wide of the left post.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot were forced into a final change when Healy went over on his ankle and had to hobble off to be replaced by Hyslop.

The home side had Talbot pegged back but without really testing Leishman and this was illustrated in the 82nd minute when a poor clearance came out to J Young 25 yards from goal and he ballooned his shot over the bar & nearly out of the stadium.

Talbot were looking to hit on the break and launched a good counter with 5 minutes remaining. Aiden Wilson raced away on the left and whipped over a good early cross towards Graham Wilson that Morgan did well to intercept & head over his own bar. When Shankland’s corner came over from the left it was swung beyond the far post where it found Stafford in space but his header was held at his near post by Gordon.

With 2 minutes remaining Rossvale won a corner when Urquhart’s long diagonal ball was headed behind by Aiden Wilson. When the corner came over it resulted in a scrabble inside the 6-yard box which ended with Leishman palming the ball behind for a 2nd corner but this time it came to nothing.

In the final minute of regulation time Talbot swept up the park on the counter-attack. Shankland fed it out to Graham Wilson on the right and his cross was met in the centre by the on rushing Aiden Wilson who flung himself to direct a diving header on target that was held by Gordon.

Deep into injury time Talbot had one final scare. A long shy from the left was thrown into the near post where it was headed back out to the left wing. Kavanagh gathered and curled a dangerous cross towards the back post but no one could get on the end of it and Talbot held out for the win.

A tough night for Talbot but another clean sheet and another valuable 3 points away from home. Next up for Talbot it is another trip to Glasgow this Saturday as the travel through to Newlandsfield for a top of the table clash with Pollok.

Rossvale – Gordon, Torrance, Hogg, Morgan, Young, Urquhart, Macdonald, Kavanagh, Kerr, Rodger, Dolan

Subs – Karamoko, J Young, Mallon, Diack, McKenzie, Mefford, Doherty (gk)

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Armstrong, Healy, McDowall, Shankland, Samson, Graham Wilson

Subs – Boylan, Glasgow, Boyd, Robbie McCracken, Stafford, Hyslop, Hewitt (gk)

Petershill v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot did their hopes of chasing down Hurlford no harm at all with a 7-0 thumping of Petershill in the only top flight game to beat the weather.
From the outset Talbot took the game to the hosts and the only surprise was it took until the 10th minute for Talbot to fashion their 1st clear chance. McCracken lifted the ball over the defence to find Samson inside the area & he prodded a shot on target that Quinn blocked with his legs.
Petershill offered virtually no goal threat all afternoon & their one moment came in the 13th minute when Talbot were caught dreaming at a corner. It was knocked short into Hamilton & he flighted a dangerous cross to the back post which Pope headed clear.
The Peasies found themselves a man down after quarter of an hour. Armstrong’s ball found Samson racing clear & he was heading into the box until taken out by Crawford, leaving the ref no choice but to send him off. Pope took the resultant free kick but fired his shot straight at Quinn.
With 17 mins gone Petershill were forced to make a change when Hay limped off to be replaced by Pearson.
Talbot now turned the screw & spent a prolonged period camped out deep in the Petershill half. A good passage of play ended with Pope sliding the ball through to Glasgow & Quinn had to bat his cross away in the centre before Kennedy nodded it behind for a corner.
The corner was taken short to Glasgow who crossed it beyond the far post where Pope ghosted onto the end of it only to head it into the side-netting.
The incessant pressure finally told in the 23rd minute. Pope’s ball down the left found White inside the area & he played it across the face of goal where GRAHAM WILSON forced it home.
Three minutes later Quinn prevented Talbot from doubling their lead. Armstrong won the ball just inside the Peasies half before playing a one-two with Stephen Wilson. Armstrong continued on & slid it across the area where Samson side-footed it for the far corner; only for Quinn to turn it wide for a corner.
Quinn was having a busy afternoon and he did well again in the 29th minute. Glasgow gathered on the left before cutting into the box & trying to drill a shot inside the near post but Quinn dived low to his right to keep it out. Samson reacted quickly to retrieve the ball & cut it back to Armstrong who blasted over from 15 yards.
Ketterer received a caution in the 35th minute when he clattered through the back of Graham Wilson out on the wing. Pope took the free kick & lifted it to the back post where McCracken met it but his header flashed across goal and wide of target.
It looked to be only a matter of time til Talbot added to their lead & so it proved with the Bot moving 2-0 ahead after 37 mins. Armstrong’s cross was headed behind for a corner & when Glasgow put it across CRAIG MCCRACKEN directed a free header past Quinn.
The home side weren’t at the races and Talbot nearly added to their lead in the 41st minute. Stephen Wilson released Armstrong down the right & his pull back came to Samson whose low drive was brilliantly saved by Quinn. Talbot kept the ball alive & the pressure on & worked it back out to Armstrong on the wing. This time his cross fell into the path of Lyle around the penalty spot but he drove his shot wide of the right post.
Two minutes from the interval Quinn again denied Talbot; throwing himself low to his left to turn Pope’s deflected shot round his post. When Glasgow’s corner came in Graham Wilson met it unchallenged but his header drifted over the bar & Talbot had to be content with a two goal cushion at the interval.
Two up and with an extra man Talbot could have been guilty of dropping down a gear after the break but if anything they stepped up the pressure and a 3rd goal duly arrived after 53 minutes.
Glasgow lifted a corner in from the right & CRAIG MCRACKEN met it to glance a header into the far corner.
Tucker made his 1st change after 56 minutes with Shankland coming on for White.
Shankland was barely on the field when he had a chance to get on the score sheet. Glasgow whipped a cross over from the right beyond the back post where Shankland ran onto it but his header flew into the side-netting.
Just after the hour mark Quinn produced another top save to deny Talbot. Samson’s pace saw him make it to the bye line & Graham Wilson met his deflected cross at the near post only for Quinn to keep out his header from point blank range.
The Bot chances kept coming and Samson came close in the 62nd minute. Graham Wilson lifted the ball over the static defence to find Samson breaking into the left of the area & he took it early; firing a left foot volley across goal & just wide off the left post.
Tucker now made a double substitution, bringing on fresh legs up front with Kemp & McIlroy replacing Graham Wilson & Samson.
Two of Talbot’s subs were involved in Talbot’s next goal in the 67th minute. McIlroy spread the ball out left to find Shankland on the edge of the area. He drilled a shot on target that Quinn blocked at his right post but the rebound came straight out to SEAN MCILROY who headed home.
Kennedy became the 2nd Petershill player in the book when he received a caution in the 73rd minute for hauling down Stephen Wilson as he broke up field.
It was 5-0 to the Bot with quarter of an hour remaining after a fine individual effort. GORDON POPE intercepted inside his own half before speeding up the left into the Peasies box where he cut inside onto his weaker right foot & stroked it into the bottom corner.
Pearson made it a hat-trick of yellow cards for Petershill when he picked up a caution in the 80th minute for a shirt tug on Stephen Wilson.
Talbot made it six in the 84th minute. A good spell of possession ended with JAMIE GLASGOW running onto Shankland’s ball across the face of goal to crash a shot home off the underside of the bar.
With three minutes remaining Talbot carved out yet another chance. Shankland flicked the ball onto the overlapping Pope & his cutback found Kemp on the right edge of the area where he curled a shot back across and wide of the right post.
The scoring was complete in the 88th minute. Glasgow raced onto a ball inside the area where he was bundled over by L Crerand. The ref pointed to the spot & GORDON POPE gave the keeper no chance; hammering it home to make the final score 7-0 to Talbot.
Another superb away performance from Talbot and in truth the winning margin would have been more convincing but for a good display by Quinn. Now Talbot can turn their attention to next Sunday when they travel through to Tynecastle to face Hearts.Petershill – Quinn, Kennedy, Crawford, McCallum, Ketterer, Hay, Stokes, Kennedy, Cameron, Hamilton,L CrerandSubs – Shirkie, Maclennan, Pearson, D Crerand, FiandoTalbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, Stephen Wilson, Glasgow, White, Samson, Graham Wilson, Armstrong

Subs – McIlroy, Shankland,Kemp, Hyslop, Waite


Petershill v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot Goal 1
After the Petershill ‘keeper saves the initial shot, McGoldrick gets onto the rebound and smashes the ball into the back of the net. 0-1.

Talbot moved 3 points closer to leaders Pollok & did their goal difference a power of good as they thrashed a lacklustre Petershill 6-0 in Springburn.
The 1st of many chances created came as early as the 4th minute. Milliken fed it wide to Young who squared it across to Pope & his low drive beat Koukos but came back off the left post.

Talbot Goal 2
Hyslop makes it two for Talbot, as he gets down low and heads the ball home. 0-2.

A minute later Talbot missed a great chance to take the lead. Boyd was fouled out on the right & Young swept the free kick across goal to the far post where G Wilson placed a free header wide of target.
Talbot hit the woodwork for a 2nd time when Young surged in from the left & crashed a shot off the crossbar.
It was one-way traffic & no great surprise when Talbot took the lead after 12 minutes. Boyd clipped the ball down the right for Milliken who was taken down by Ketterer. Young delivered the free kick into the centre where Hyslop powered a header on target. Koukos managed to keep it out but the ball came out to MCGOLDRICK who drilled the rebound into the net.

Talbot Goal 2 Celeb
‘Pee-wee’ wheels away all smiles after netting Talbot’s second.

Wilson might have doubled Talbot’s lead when Boyd’s flighted pass found him racing free of the defence. Koukos came out to the edge of his area & Wilson lobbed it past him but well wide of the left post.
The incessant pressure told & Talbot moved two ahead in the 18th minute. Wilson slid a great pass to send Milliken clear on the right. There was no one in the centre to meet his cross but Young gathered it out on the left & quickly crossed it back in where the unmarked HYSLOP headed home from close range.
Petershill looked a dispirited outfit & showed little sign of mounting a fightback as Talbot pressed them back looking for further goals. Things didn’t get any better for the home side when Ketterer limped off after 29 minutes. He was unable to continue & J Chisholm came on in his place.

Talbot Goal 3
Bearing down on goal, Milliken slots the ball under the ‘keeper and finds the back of the net. 0-3.

The game was over as a contest in the 33rd minute. Young slid a pass through the centre & MILLIKEN strode into the box & smashed the ball high inside the right post.
Petershill now made a 2nd change with Brough making way for D Kennedy.
Talbot grabbed their 4th of the afternoon in the 40th minute. WHITE out-muscled his opponent to win possession just outside the box & carried on into the area before placing a low shot past Koukos.
Tucker made a double substitution at the start of the 2nd period with S Wilson on for White & Shankland replacing Milliken and it didn’t take the two subs long to make an impact.

Talbot Goal 3 Celeb
Lyle is all smiles, as he and the rest of the Talbot team congratulate Keir Milliken.

Tucker made a double substitution at the start of the 2nd period with S Wilson on for White & Shankland replacing Milliken and it didn’t take the two subs long to make an impact.
S Wilson pounced on a sloppy square pass and made a beeline for the penalty area. He was halted by J Chisholm but the ball broke to SHANKLAND 20 yards out & he arrowed a low drive inside the right post to put Talbot 5 ahead after 49 minutes.

Talbot Goal 4
He doesn’t score often but when he does it’s always spectacular. After going on a run, Stephen White scores from the edge of the box. 0-4.

Talbot weren’t done yet and made it 6-0 in the 52nd minute. A good ball up the right found Shankland inside the box. He neatly took it round Koukos before unselfishly squaring it across goal for G WILSON to finish.
Leishman had barely seen the ball but was finally called upon to make a save in the 57th minute. McElroy’s corner in from the right was headed clear by S Wilson. It came out to D Kennedy whose 30 yarder flew on target but straight at Leishman.

Talbot Goal 5
Although the Petershill ‘keeper tries his best to prevent the inevitable, Shankland scores Talbot’s fifth with a long range effort. 0-5.

G Wilson had a chance for his 2nd when Young’s corner from the left found him at the back post but he steered his header over the bar.
This was his last involvement as Tucker made his final switch with Love coming on to partner Shankland up front. The Peasies also made their 3rd & final substitution with Graham replacing Lynass.

Talbot Goal 5 Celeb
Hyslop and Boyd congratulate Mark Shankland on scoring a brilliant goal.

Talbot had already hit the woodwork twice in the 1st half and they struck it twice again in quick succession in the 2nd half. Boyd met Young’s corner and sent a looping header against the bar. The defence scrambled the ball behind for a 2nd consecutive corner and this time Hyslop met Young’s cross and headed it against the crossbar.

Talbot Goal 6
With the ‘keeper in ‘no-man’s land’, Graham Wilson gets on the end of Shankland’s cross and slots the ball into the empty net. 0-6.

Although the pace had dropped off a bit from the 1st half, Talbot were still keen to add to their tally & looking the more likely side.
Shankland did well to release Pope down the left & his cross proved just a fraction too high for Young at the back post, and although he got his head to it he couldn’t direct it on target.
In the 79th minute Shankland came in off the right to play it into the feet of S Wilson. He turned it back into the path of Shankland whose shot slipped just wide of the right post with the keeper at full stretch.
Talbot kept going to the whistle but were denied twice by good saves from the keeper in injury time.

Action 5
With an out-stretched arm, Leishman manages to put the ball out for another corner for Petershill.

Firstly, Shankland combined with Young before bursting into the area. He lost his footing when challenged but recovered quickly & got back to his feet & fired a shot on target which the keeper did well to save to his left.
Soon after, Love raced onto a diagonal ball and hit it 1st time, low and hard back across goal, only for Koukos to deflect it away with his feet.
The final whistle came as a relief to Petershill who have lost all 4 of their encounters with Talbot this season. This was a very impressive outing from Talbot which leaves the Bot with the opportunity to gain top spot next Saturday if they can beat Arthurlie at Beechwood.

Action 3
Right at the death of the game, Love fires the ball towards goal on the volley but is thwarted by a great save from the Petershill ‘keeper.

Petershill – Koukos, Barclay, Malone, Brough, Ketterer, F Chisholm, McElroy, J Kennedy, Daly, Stevenson, Lynass

Subs – Graham, D Kennedy, Daw, Shields, J Chisholm

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, McCracken, Boyd, Young, White, G Wilson, Milliken, Hyslop

Subs – Shankland, Love, Gillies, Wilson, Johnstone

Action 4
‘G’ races into the box and tries to chip the ball over the ‘keeper.
Action 2
‘Head in hands’ moment, as Mark Shankland rues a missed opportunity.
Action 1
Petershill try to get an attack going but get stopped in their tracks by Talbot’s Boyd and Pope. Photographs by Paul Flynn

Petershill vs Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot’s visits to Petershill rarely produce good football and this was no exception to the rule as Talbot stumbled past a toothless home side to secure a place in the 2nd round of the West.
Just as last week, Talbot made the perfect start, opening the scoring within a minute. Two Peasies defenders went for the same ball and it spun to Wilson. He quickly lobbed the ball through to GILLIES on the left and his half volley squirmed through the grasp of Maltoni at his near post.
The Peasies keeper atoned somewhat for that blunder in the 6th minute when he produced a top save to prevent Talbot doubling their lead. Pope’s cross into the area found Young in space and he headed it back across goal, only for Maltoni to dive to his right to tip it away.
Gillies nearly added a second in the 13th minute. Hyslop powered a header through the middle which Gillies ran onto before lashing a first time shot narrowly over the bar with the keeper well beaten.
Petershill had offered nothing going forward but they almost equalised in the 21st minute. Daly met Bradley’s deep cross and headed it back down into the path of Craig who drilled a shot beyond Leishman that came back off the right hand post.
Hyslop then tried his luck from distance, cutting inside onto his left foot and firing just over the bar from 25 yards.
Daly became the 1st player in the book when penalised for sarcastically applauding the referee when awarded a free kick.
Maltoni produced another good stop in the 35th minute. Milliken beat F Chisholm in the air to nod it on for Wilson and he cracked a powerful drive on target that Maltoni punched over the bar. The referee then produced a yellow card for F Chisholm for his earlier late barge into Milliken.
The home keeper was called into action again in the 38th minute when Pope’s corner from the left found Gillies clear at the back post and Maltoni had to tip his header over the bar.
Hyslop had his name taken in the 42nd minute for a late challenge on Shields who certainly made the most of it to the ire of the visiting support. The half wound to a close without further incident and Talbot trooped off a goal to the good.
The 1st half hadn’t offered much by way of good football, with the ball careening around like a pinball, and fouls every other minute, but as it turned out it was the high point of the match, as the 2nd half was largely a non-event.
The 1st chance of the 2nd half, and the only real clear cut chance the Peasies had all game, came in the 53rd minute. Craig lofted a free kick out to the left where Stevenson headed it across into the middle. It came to Daly who steered a low shot on target that Leishman blocked with his leg.
Talbot were struggling to get going after the interval and it took until the 63rd minute before the first effort at goal when Young drove a shot wide of the right post from just outside the box.
Before hitting the shot, Young had been impeded by Shields and the referee booked the Peasies player for an accumulation of offences.
Petershill had a half chance in the 65th minute. Kennedy met a shy from the right at the edge of the area but under pressure could only stab a 1st time shot on target that was easily held by Leishman.
Petershill now made a change with Daw on for Shields and Talbot responded by bringing Shankland on for Gillies.
Brough was fortunate to escape a caution after 72 mins when he flattened Young with a late challenge.
Talbot made a double switch in the 74th minute with Stephen Wilson & Love coming on in place of Graham Wilson & Young.
Stevenson produced a decent effort from distance in the 77th minute that sped wide of the left post.
The Peasies played their last cards in the 80th minute with Lafferty & Davidson replacing McLean & Stevenson.
Although there was only one goal in it the home side never really looked like forcing penalties and with a minute remaining Love ought to have wrapped it up for Talbot. Pope’s header found Shankland in space on the left & he centred it for Love who raced through on the keeper but slotted his shot the wrong side of the right hand post.
Petershill were reduced to 10 men in the 90th minute when F Chisholm swiped out at Love and the ref produced a 2nd yellow for the Peasies right-back.
Deep into injury time Talbot had one final chance. A shy was thrown in behind the defence to find Love on the left of the penalty area. He tried to bury it in the far corner but pulled his shot across goal and wide of target.
This was a forgettable 90 minutes but Talbot got the job done and move on to next week’s league match where they face a trip to Barrhead to face Arthurlie, who always make it difficult at Dunterlie.

Petershill – Maltoni, F Chisholm, Bradley, J Chisholm, Brough, Kennedy, McLean, Stevenson, Daly, Craig, Shields

Subs – Daw, McGhee, Hynes, Lafferty, Davidson

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, White, Latta, Young, Hyslop, G Wilson, Gillies, Millliken

Subs – Shankland, Love, S Wilson, Cochrane, Campbell

Read more: