Clydebank v Auchinleck Talbot

WONDER GOAL DENIES TALBOT A POINT. Report Murray Steele, Photography Craig McGhee, Media Lee Conn.

The Bankies edged out Talbot in a game of few clear cut chances – claiming all 3 points courtesy of a goal of the season contender.

Let’s get this game started

Talbot had the first effort on target after 10 minutes. Wardrope played it down the right to Thomson who laid it back to Abed. He whipped over a good 1st time cross that McAvoy met in the centre and his header was held by Donnelly.

Two minutes later Talbot had another effort on target when Boyle drilled a low shot on goal from 20 odd yards.

Clydebank’s first real chance came in the 16th minute. Gallacher had time to pick out a cross and his ball from the left saw Mulcahy climb above McPherson to steer a header on goal that went straight at Glavin.

Twenty four mins in Hodge was fortunate to escape the ref’s notebook when he caught Boyle late.

Four minutes later Kelly became the first player cautioned for a shirt tug to halt a Talbot break.

Talbot won a free kick in a good area in the 29th minute. Boyle played it into the feet of Thomson just outside the box who managed to turn Niven who sent him tumbling. Wardrope took the free kick and curled it just over the crossbar.

Tarek steady’s the ship

Glavin came to Talbot’s rescue in the 38th minute when a slide rule pass from the left found Mulcahy racing clear inside the area but Glavin was quickly off his line to block his low drive with his feet.

A minute later Talbot were nearly in down the other end. Boyle found Langan who slipped a pass through to Boyd on the left of the area but a defender got back to make the challenge and it broke through to the keeper.

In the last minute of the half Mulcahy did well out on the left to create space for himself and drilled it across the 6-yard area but there was no one to take advantage.

As the half moved into added time it looked like the sides would be going in goal less but in added time Clydebank were awarded a soft free kick near the left corner flag for Boyle’s challenge on Little. Gallacher lifted it into the centre where HODGE powered a header beyond Glavin to send Clydebank in a goal ahead at the interval.

Talbot started the 2nd half unchanged but Clydebank made a switch with Mackenzie on in place of Hodge.

The home side started the 2nd half brightly and had a half chance to extend their lead in the 48th minute. Mackenzie played it inside to Mulcahy who squared it to Johnstone who fired over the bar from 18 yards.

Kyle shrugs off a Bankies defender

In the 50th minute Abed paced away down the right for Talbot and swung a good cross into the area but there were no takers.

Talbot were all square in the 58th minute. Boyle did well, bursting forward down the left before sliding a perfect pass to find MICK WARDROPE on the right of the area and he hammered it back across goal and into the side-netting.

Unfortunately, Talbot’s joy was short-lived and the home side regained the lead in the 62nd minute. A long ball down the right was headed clear and came to GALLACHER in space 35 yards out who cut in on his left foot and hammered a shot high inside the left post.

A minute later Little was cautioned for clipping Boyle’s heels as he broke forward and Clydebank now made a double switch with Little & Kelly being replaced by Slattery & McGonigle.

In the 67th minute Wardrope played it to Boyd who got out of his feet and got his shot away from 18 yards but it was blocked by a defender.

Jamie tries to pick a pass

Talbot made their first change in the 72nd minute with Glasgow on in place of Thomson.

Clydebank now also made a further change with Graham on for Mulcahy.

With 10 minutes remaining Abed caught McGonigle and received a caution. Talbot now made a double change with Abed & Boyd making way for Schoneville & Smith.

In the 87th minute Clydebank came close to adding a 3rd to kill the game off. Gallacher’s in swinging corner from the right was headed clear and came out to Low on the edge of the area who volleyed it just wide of the left hand post.

In the closing stages Talbot won a free kick which Boyle floated beyond the far post. McPherson headed it back into the centre but there were no Bot shirts to take advantage, the defence cleared and Clydebank were able to see out added time to claim the victory.

Next up for Talbot it’s back to Beechwood where they host Beith next Saturday.

Neilly clears the danger

Clydebank – Donnelly, Hodge, Grant, Niven, McHugh, Johnstone, Gallacher, Low, Mulcahy, N Little, Kelly

Subs – Hughes, Mackenzie, C Little, Slattery, McMahon, McGonigle, Graham

Auchinleck Talbot – Glavin, Abed, Wilson, McPherson, Slooves, Langan, Boyle, Wardrope, Boyd, McAvoy, Thomson

Subs – Glasgow, Smith, Urquhart, Lennox, Gillies, Schoneville, Henry

Clydebank v Auchinleck Talbot

Clydebank v Auchinleck Talbot

Aiden Wilson looks to get another attack started, as the bumper crowd closely watch the action.


Kieran Healy fires the ball up the park while being put under pressure.


CHANCE!!! Jamie Glasgow races in on the ‘keeper but loses out in the 50/50 challenge for the ball.


‘Shankers’ does his best to put his opponent under pressure and win the ball back for Talbot.


Mark slots a very clever ball through the Bankies’ defence where…


…GOOOAAALLL!!! First blood to Talbot, as ‘Gee’ gets on the end of Mark’s pass and slots the ball home past the ‘keeper. 0-1.


Graham races away to celebrate his goal and it is brilliant to see this man banging in the goals again.


Mark, Bryan and Kieran, all surround Graham to congratulate him for opening the scoring.


Big Andy gets a big fist to the ball and punches away the danger.


Shankland does his best to stay on his feet and keep hold of the ball.


While inside the Bankies’ box, Boylan tries to find a way through.


‘Gee’ and Aiden double team their opponent and put the pressure on.


Both sets of players air their frustration to the referee.


CHANCE FOR BANKIES!!! From the edge of the box, they try to curl the ball into the far corner but they fail to find the back of the net.


TALBOT DOUBLE THEIR LEAD!!! Boylan pops up at the back post and fires a powerful downward header towards goal where…


…after the ‘keeper fumbles the ball it finally, DEFINATELY, crosses the line. 0-2.


The Clydebank players desperately shout for ‘no goal’ but, look at ‘Shankers’…he knows it’s a goal, as he and Bryan race away to celebrate.


Boylan jumps for joy, as ‘Gee’ and ‘Shankers’ follow close behind with massive grins after seeing Bryan double Talbot’s lead.


Graham Wilson gets another Talbot attack motoring.


Glasgow goes for the spectacular from the edge of the box but the ball sails high over the bar.


Healy shouts out the orders, as Jamie tries to lob the ball forward.


Boylan goes very close to a making it three for Talbot but the ball goes agonisingly wide of the post.


Mark Shankland gets a stern talking to from the man in the middle.


Gareth Armstrong goes airborne, as he gets brought down in a hefty challenge.


If Big Neily shouts it’s a foul, then, I certainly wouldn’t want to argue with him.


A tussle for the ball inside the Bankies’ box but Boylan fails to create a chance.


The anguish is written all over Mark’s face, as he rues a great chance to make it three for Talbot.


VERY CLOSE FOR CLYDEBANK!!! Clydebank very nearly pull a goal back but the close range header goes over the bar…just.


It’s great seeing this man back in action again after missing out recently due to work commitments.


McCracken beats his ex-team-mate Hamish McKinlay to the ball and clears the danger.


Jamie Glasgow does his best to find a way through inside the box.


‘Shankers’ tries to win back the ball in front of the boisterous Bankies’ Young Team.


Clydebank try their luck directly from a free-kick but the ball fails to cause any damage for Talbot.


Healy loses the ball in this strong challenge.


Kieran is all smiles at full-time, as Talbot see out a very important victory.


I’ve got to say, I really enjoyed the singing and drumming from the Bankies’ Young Team throughout the game, as they kept supporting their team from the first whistle to the final one.



Talbot returned to the top of the table with a well-deserved away win over Clydebank.

It didn’t take long for Talbot to settle and the Bot had a good chance to take the lead in the 9th minute. Shankland clipped a pass through to send Glasgow through on goal but his 1st touch was a shade too heavy & Donnelly was able to race off his line and make the block.

The opener was only delayed though by a minute with Talbot grabbing a goal in the 10th minute. Shankland gathered on the left and slid the ball into the path of GRAHAM WILSON who drilled a low shot past Donnelly at his right post to make it 1-0.

In the 12th minute the home side won a free kick out wide on the left that was swept deep toward the back post where Leishman rushed out to punch clear.

Down the other end Talbot won a free kick in a good area after Byrne wrestled back Boylan. Shankland whipped it into the centre where Craig McCracken powered a header on target that was well-saved by Donnelly but the referee had already blown for an infringement.

In the 24th minute Boylan did well up the left to force a corner and when Shankland’s in swinger came over it caused Donnelly problems with the keeper struggling to clear it. The ball only came out as far as Glasgow who volleyed it across the face of goal where Boylan flicked it just wide of the left post but the linesman’s flag went up in any case.

Clydebank hadn’t offered much but in the 26th minute Black did well out on the left – firing a dangerous cross into the near post which the Bot defence managed to clear.

Two minutes later Talbot were on the attack again. A shy from the left found Shankland and he flashed a ball across the face of goal which Glasgow just failed to reach.

The Talbot team & visiting fans were all appealing for a penalty in the 29th minute. Glasgow released Boylan down the right and he made it to the bye line before standing a cross up to the back post where Graham Wilson appeared to be bundled over as he went to meet it but the officials waved away the appeal.

The Bankies produced their most threatening move to date on the half hour mark when Black surged forward from midfield towards the box before releasing it to left to find Mackinlay inside the penalty area. The ball got caught between his feet and Robbie McCracken was quickly across to clear it.

A minute later Talbot raced onto the attack when Graham Wilson sent Glasgow clear on the right and he fired just over from 22 yards.

Talbot were nearly in the 35th minute when Graham Wilson’s ball cut open the defence and found Boylan racing in behind. Donnelly did well though to read the danger & raced out his area to clear it and his clearance ended up sailing over the Bot defence to find McKinlay in space inside the area but he took too long to get his shot away.

The crucial 2nd goal came in the 39th minute. Clydebank had a tame shot at goal that Leishman safely gathered before bowling the ball out quickly to release Glasgow down the right. He sped up the wing & swung a cross to the far post where BRYAN BOYLAN met it and Donnelly was unable to stop his header from crossing the line – with the linesman signalling the goal.

A minute later Talbot had another strong penalty appeal dismissed. Boylan got away on the right and burst into the area but wasn’t able to get his shot away as the ball took a high bounce off the surface. He waited for it come down & drove a ball across goal that looked to be blocked by Bailey’s arms but once again the ref wasn’t interested.

Talbot ended the half strongly and Robbie McCracken’s cross just needed any kind of contact and it would have been three but there were no takers and Talbot went it two goals to the good.

Clydebank made a lively start to the 2nd half; pressing hard to try to find a way back into it. In the 47th minute Gallacher let fly from 25 yards and his shot caught McPherson full in the face with the game having to be halted to allow treatment for Talbot’s centre-half.

The Bot weathered Clydebank’s early pressure and had a chance to move further ahead in the 55th minute. Robbie McCracken won the ball in midfield to set a counter-attack rolling that saw Graham Wilson find Glasgow in space just inside the penalty area but his left foot shot flew just over the bar.

Boylan became the first name in the ref’s notebook in the 62nd minute and Clydebank made a double switch with McPherson & Johnstone coming on in place of Black & Holmes.

Clydebank had the bulk of the ball but weren’t threatening Talbot’s goal and it was the Bot who came close to moving further ahead in the 71st minute when a slick move saw Glasgow run at the defence before releasing it to Shankland on the right edge of the area and his low angled drive sped just wide of the far post.

Tucker now made a change with Samson replacing Boylan.

Talbot nearly put the game out of sight in the 74th minute when the ball was worked from left to right with Glasgow sending the ball onto the overlapping Robbie McCracken and his shot, like Shankland’s shortly before, flew across goal and just wide of the right post.

With quarter on an hour remaining Clydebank made and missed their one clear chance of the afternoon. They won a corner down the right which was delivered right onto the head of Niven but he couldn’t get over it and sent his header just over the bar from 5 yards out.

With 10 minutes remaining Talbot made their 2nd change with White coming on in place of Glasgow.

In the 84th minute Clydebank won a free kick 30 yards out when White clipped Little’s heels with White also receiving a yellow card. McPherson took it and got it up and over the wall but Leishman’s positioning was spot on and he made a comfortable save.

With 5 minutes remaining Talbot made their final change with Mason on for Shankland.

The Bankies huffed and puffed until the final whistle but couldn’t make any in roads and Talbot held out for the win.

Next week it’s back to Beechwood and back to cup duty as Talbot host West Calder United in the South Challenge cup.

Clydebank – Donnelly, Bailey, Byrne, Niven, Darroch, Holmes, Gallacher, Black, McKinlay, Little, McGonigle

Subs – Stevenson, Green, McLean, Lynass, Johnstone, McPherson, McHugh

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Robbie McCracken, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Armstrong, Healy, Shankland, Graham Wilson, Boylan, Glasgow

Subs – Samson, Mason, Hyslop, McDowall, White, Lyle, Hewitt

Clydebank v Auchinleck Talbot