Arthurlie v Auchinleck Talbot

Arthurlie v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot took the points in an easier win than the scoreline suggested, scoring a goal at the beginning of each half which deflated the composure of the home side. The die was cast as early as the 4th minute when Talbot were awarded an indirect free kick inside the box, where Boylan rolled the ball a few inches to Wardrope who swept the ball over the heads of the home defenders and into the roof of the net.


With relegation staring them in the face it was all credit to Arthurlie who took the game to Talbot but although they chipped away at the Talbot defence they never put Leishman under any real pressure. They did have a golden chance when Scott blootered the ball up the park where Bilham flicked the ball over the Talbot defence into the path of Carroll but he hurried his shot which went well wide of the goal. 


Moving nearer to half time Talbot doubled their lead when a free kick was swung into the box, but a headed clearance landed at the feet of Smith who forced Scott to block his shot where Park was first to react, hammering his shot low into the net.


Talbot replaced the struggling Boylan with Samson minutes into the second half and before he had hardly found his bearing Taylor had put Talbot 3-0 in the lead when he swept a Smith pass past Scott.


With the damage done the foot was taken off the peddle, as the ball swept from half to half with no real football being played on the bobbly surface although Talbot did fashion a couple of chances that were squandered. Half way through the second half Talbot were dealt a blow when McPherson was seen to be struggling and he was later on of the players involved in a treble substitution.


As per normal the change of personnel took a lot of the momentum out of the match, and with the gloaming starting to descend the referee put an end to proceedings.


TALBOT: Leishman, Crawford, A.Wilson. McPherson, (McCracken), Stafford, Park, (Lennox), Boyle, Wardrobe, Boylan, (Samson), Smith,(Ballantyne) Taylor. SUBS:NOT USED: Armstrong, Shankland. 


Arthurlie: Scott, McGhee, McNeil, Bradley, Kerr, Roulston, Leyden, Billham, Carroll, Simeon, Smith. SUBS: McLaughlan, Nolan, Strain, Miller, Warnock, Jeanes, McLaughlan

Arthurlie v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot turned in a confident display, dominating from start to finish, as they brushed aside a tepid Arthurlie at Dunterlie park.
The Bot’s first chance came in the 3rd minute. McCracken met a corner over from the right to power a header on target which Hay parried away. Talbot kept the pressure on & when Arthurlie failed to clear their lines Hyslop swept a shot wide from just outside the area.
The opener came in the 9th minute. A shy from the left was worked into JAMIE GLASGOW who had the time & space to turn 20 yards from goal & drill a low shot inside Hay’s right post.
Arthurlie’s Chisholm found himself in the ref’s book in the 25th minute when he floored Glasgow after being beaten for pace out on the left wing.
Talbot doubled their lead in the 34th minute. Armstrong’s in swinging corner was headed on across the face of goal & gathered by GORDON POPE out on the right. He coolly curled a left foot shot back across into the far corner to put Talbot 2-0 ahead.
Two minutes later Talbot nearly added a third, again threatening from a corner kick. This time Armstrong drove it in low & Graham Wilson steered a low shot on target that was scrambled clear from the goal mouth.
The home side were struggling to make any impact & Talbot were comfortable in their lead without really threatening to add to it at this stage.
A minute from the interval Craig became the 2nd Arthurlie player booked when he swiped to legs from Harvey.
The 2nd half saw Talbot on the attack from the start, looking to extend their lead, and kill the game off.
Hyslop had a decent chance in the 50th minute. Armstrong spread the ball out to Glasgow on the right & he cut it back for Hyslop to run onto but he drove his shot wide of the left post.
Two minutes later Talbot threatened again. Graham Wilson headed a ball on up the left to send Glasgow free. He whipped a dangerous cross into the near post where Wilson dived to cut it out & head it behind for the corner.
The corner was headed clear but only as far as Pope who played it back to Harvey. He slid a defence splitting pass through to find Graham Wilson free on the left of the area & he smashed a shot just over the bar from 15 yards.
The pressure finally told & Talbot moved further ahead after 57 minutes. Graham Wilson met a shy into the area & touched it off into the path of JAMIE GLASGOW who hammered it past the keeper from a tight angle.
Arthurlie had a chance to pull one back in the 59th minute when Talbot were guilty of slack marking. A shy from the right came into the unmarked Craig who fired just over the bar from the edge of the area.
It was 4-0 to the Bot on the hour mark. Lyle’s free kick into the penalty area picked out Stephen Wilson on the right & he made it to the bye line before crossing it for GRAHAM WILSON to head home from close range.
Tucker now made a triple substitution with Graham Wilson, Glasgow & White making way for McIlroy, Kemp & Thomson.
Hyslop tested the Arthurlie keeper in the 72nd minute. He turned smartly to lose his man before lifting a cross to the far post which Hay had to stretch to claw away.
In the 83rd minute Kemp came close for Talbot. Pope’s cross into the box was only partially cleared & came to him at the edge of the area where he fired a shot narrowly past the left post.
Talbot’s 5th & final goal came with two minutes remaining. Hyslop fed the ball back to CALVIN KEMP on the right of the area & his attempted cross flew over Hay & straight into the net.
In the final minute of regulation time Talbot nearly added a 6th. A corner from the left was lifted to the back post where McCracken guided a header inside the post but was denied by Hay who made a good stop to keep it out. The ball came out to Kemp but he couldn’t keep his shot down.
A good away win for the Bot & a welcome confidence booster going into next Sunday’s Ardagh final where Talbot will compete with the Glens for the 1st silverware of the season.

Arthurlie – Hay, Girvan, Wilson, Tart, Chisholm, Spence, McKenzie, McAleenan, Weir, Craig, Wyper

Subs – Nugent, Mackie, Gabir, Graham

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McCracken, White, Armstrong, S Wilson, G Wilson, Glasgow, Hyslop

Subs – McIlroy, Pooler, Thomson, McPherson, Kemp

Arthurlie v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot Goal 1
From the near post, as the ball gets whipped in, Gordon Pope instinctively heads the ball backwards over the ‘Lie ‘keeper and into the back of the net. 0-1.
Talbot Goal 1 Celeb
Its all ‘Cheshire cat grins’, as Danny Boyle congratulates Pope.

Never a classic, but Talbot fought their way to a very impressive away win at Dunterlie Park, starting the league campaign with a 4-0 win over Arthurlie.
As often happens at Barrhead the game was fiercely competitive and the opening spell passed in a blur of challenges and heady tennis.
There was little goal mouth action; however Talbot converted their first real chance to take the lead in the 13th minute. Palmer conceded a free kick when he shoved Hyslop out on the touchline. Young whipped a good ball in which Wilson headed for goal. Hay produced a brilliant save to tip his header onto the bar but Latta reacted sharply to steer it across goal where POPE headed home from close range.
Talbot’s defence were playing well & Arthurlie were being afforded few opportunities to test Leishman. The Bot keeper was tested by Palmer’s hanging cross and got a hand to it but failed to clear & it came to McGregor on the right whose low ball into the centre was cleared.
Leyden had his name taken in the 27th minute for a late tackle on Milliken.
Talbot doubled their lead on the half hour mark. Pope flighted a ball down the centre over the defence. Wilson ran onto it inside the box, controlling it with his 1st touch but before he could hit it, MORRISON stretched out a leg to lift the ball over his own keeper to make it 2-0 to Talbot.
Arthurlie should have been two goals down & a man down in the 33rd minute. Leyden led with his elbow in an aerial challenge on Hyslop right in front of the referee who bottled the decision.
The onus was on the home side to press to reduce the deficit but it was Talbot who finished the half the stronger without managing to add to their tally and Talbot went in at the interval with a two goal cushion.
Arthurlie made a change at the interval with Smith coming on for Gribben & this seemed to lift the home side who made the early running.
They could have halved Talbot’s lead within a minute of the re-start. Leishman came to punch McGregor’s cross clear but only succeeded in knocking it straight out to Deas & his shot from 15 yards looked destined for the back of the bet but Leishman redeemed himself with a fantastic stop to his right.
Leishman was tested again in the 51st min when he came off his line to gather a cross into the centre & spilled it in a scrum of bodies but fortunately the ball was swept clear.
A minute later Talbot had a lucky escape. Deas met McGregor’s low cross into the centre & although he sclaffed his shot at goal, Smith managed to flick it on & the ball rolled just wide of the left post.
Talbot’s sluggish start to the 2nd half ended in the 54th minute when Hyslop latched onto a weak headed clearance just outside the area. He controlled it on his chest & fired a low shot on target that Hay saved low to his left.
Carroll missed a chance to pull Arthurlie back into it just shy of the hour mark. Leishman failed to claim a corner from the left & when McGregor headed it toward goal Carroll spun it on 6 yards out but fired the ball over the bar.
A third goal would’ve killed it & nearly arrived in the 63rd minute. Young forced a corner on the right & when Milliken delivered it into the centre Pope ran across his marker but glanced a header across goal & wide of the right post.
When the 3rd goal did finally arrive it was a classic, worthy of sealing any game, and an early contender for goal of the season. Milliken started the move playing it out wide left to Pope just inside the Lie half. He played it inside into the feet of Young who cleverly back-heeled the ball into the path of MILLIKEN who coolly placed it inside Hay’s right post from 20 yards.
Arthurlie made a change in the 72nd minute with Nimmo making way for Convery & Talbot soon made their 1st switch with the tiring Wilson being replaced by Stevenson.
The game was effectively over as a contest but Arthurlie had a chance to pull a goal back in the 78th minute. Deas won a free kick out on the right touchline & he whipped the ball across the face of goal and beyond the far post. McGregor gathered out on the left wing & cut it back to the edge of the area where Smith ran onto it but sliced his shot wide of the left post.
Stevenson had a great chance to open his Talbot account in the 84th minute. Leishman’s ball down the centre found Milliken racing onto it. Hay came out his box to stop the danger & Milliken tried to flick the ball past the Lie keeper. Hay succeeded in blocking it but the ball spun left to Stevenson. With the keeper stranded he could have carried on down the left into the area & tried to place it home but instead went for the early effort & sent it wide of the unguarded net.
Tucker made a double substitution in the 86th minute with Pooler & Thomson coming on in place of Young & Milliken.
Talbot completed the scoring in injury time. Boyle powered a header straight the centre towards POOLER at the edge of the area. He turned his marker & kept a cool head to slot the ball past Hay into the corner of the net.
A great start to Talbot’s league campaign and a good confidence booster ahead of a tough double header against Beith.

Talbot Goal 2
Stevie Wilson races into the box with the ball, however, the defender lashes out at the ball too hard and sends the ball flying over his own ‘keeper and into the back of the net. Own goal! 0-2.
Arthurlie – Hay, Girvan, Palmer, Morrison, Gair, Nimmo, Leyden, McGregor, Carroll, Deas, Gribbens
Subs – Smith, Curren, Turner, Convery, Macklin

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, Boyle, Hyslop, Latta, White, S Wilson, Milliken, Young
Subs – Stevenson, Pooler, Thomson, McPherson, Hewitt

Talbot Goal 3
Milliken finishes off a great passing move by Talbot and smashes the ball home from outside the box. 0-3.
Talbot Goal 3 Celeb
Stevie congratulates Keir, as he shows what it means to score for the Talbot!
Talbot Goal 4
Dylan Pooler rounds off the scoring at the ‘death’ for Talbot, as he slots the ball into the back of the net from inside the box. 0-4.
Action 10
As the ball gets headed back to the ‘keeper, ‘Mulky’ tries his best to sneak in and get a foot to the ball. Oh so close!
Action 3
With Talbot on the ‘front foot’, Latta fires in a low cross into the Arthurlie box.[/caption[caption id="attachment_2964" align="alignleft" width="300"]Action 5 All eyes on the ball, as ‘Butch’ sends the ball forward from the touchline.
Action 7
With the ball bouncing about inside the ‘Lie box, Dylan Stevenson tries to win it back for the boys in black and gold.
Action 12
White, Hyslop and Latta discuss the past 45 minutes of play, as they head off for half-time.
Action 2
As he chases the ball down, Stevie Wilson just gets pipped to it by the Arthurlie ‘keeper.
Action 4
Keir Milliken shows his frustration, as the pass he was waiting on gets intercepted.
Action 6
Hyslop loses possession, as the ‘Lie captain lunges into the tackle and wins the ball.

Action 1
Another battle for possession ensues.

Action 8
James rues a missed opportunity for Talbot.

Action 11
‘Tucker’ roars out the orders, as Lyle tries to get the Talbot engine going again.

Action 9
OOH! OOH!! PICK ME!!! PICK ME!!! Photographs by PAUL FLYNN

Arthurlie vs Auchinleck Talbot

Match Report by Murray
Talbot gained a valuable away win at Barrhead, though they made heavy work of seeing off Arthurlie in a bad tempered affair that saw the ref produce 3 red cards.
The first clear opening of the match came Talbot’s way in the 7th minute. White played a good ball out to Young on the left and he slid a dangerous ball across the face of goal which Milliken met in the centre, but he was challenged as he hit it and steered his side-footed effort straight at White.
Both sides were competing fiercely but with play largely concentrated in the middle third, there was little work for either keeper.
Talbot came within a whisker of opening the scoring in the 18th minute. Gillies was nudged in the air 30 yards out and Pope took the resultant free kick, curling a shot past the wall that clipped the left hand post.
Arthurlie threatened the Bot goal in the 21st minute. Palmer whipped in a dangerous low cross which Leishman gathered by the near post.
Two minutes later it was Talbot’s turn to threaten. A shy from the right found Gillies in behind and he cut it back for Young who looked set to stroke it home, only for Gair to stick out a leg to deflect it behind.
Gillies was harshly penalised on the half hour mark. He chased down Lyle’s ball and when White came out his box to clear, Gillies blocked his clearance. The ball spun out wide where Gillies gathered and turned Rushford but as he looked to shoot toward the open net the ref awarded a free kick to Lie, presumably for a foul on Rushford.
White had got lucky on his 1st foray outside the box but he came a cropper in the 35th minute. He came outside his box to beat Gillies to a ball in behind the defence, only for Gair to nod it back toward goal. He threw out an arm to stop it going past him leaving the ref little option but to send him off. There then followed a hold up whilst Lie readied their sub goalie before Cowie came on between the sticks, with Smith the outfield player sacrificed.
Talbot also made a change with Graham Wilson on in place of Gillies.
Cowie’s 1st test was dealing with the free kick White had conceded just outside the penalty area. Pope struck it and Cowie had a lucky escape as the free kick smacked off the inside of his right post and flew back across goal and out for a goal kick.
With the extra man Talbot looked to be in control and were doing most of the pressing but without looking like breaking through.
A minute before half-time Arthurlie almost caught Talbot out on the counter. The Lie defence did well to clear Lyle’s cross at the back post and quickly turned defence to attack as Rushford swept a diagonal ball across to Dallas who out-paced Lyle before drilling a low ball across the box which White cleared.
Milliken tested Cowie in the 45th minute when he cut inside onto his left foot and fired a low shot from 18 yards which the keeper held.
Deep into 1st half injury time the home side were reduced to 9 men. MacDonald was guilty of an outrageous tackle on Hyslop, going over the ball to leave the Bot midfielder writhing on the turf and the ref produced his 2nd red card of the afternoon. Fortunately for Hyslop he wasn’t seriously injured and was able to continue and the sides went in level at the break.
Talbot would’ve been hoping to make the extra men count straight away but made a sluggish start to the 2nd half and the first decent chance of the 2nd period fell Arthurlie’s way. Hyslop conceded a free kick 25 yards out and Dallas rifled it just wide of the right hand post.
Young was unlucky in the 50th minute. Hyslop fed the ball out wide to the overlapping Lyle and his cut back fell nicely for Young whose placed shot looked to be heading in until it hit off a defender and spun behind.
Arthurlie were camped deep in their half, content to let Talbot have the ball where it couldn’t hurt them, and it appeared to be paying off as Talbot enjoyed the lion’s share of possession without making much headway.
On the hour mark, an error from Pope saw him gift the ball to McGlinchey and the home side were able to break down field. The ball was switched out left to Dallas who looked set to burst into the box but McGoldrick did well to make the covering challenge.
In Talbot’s next attack Cowie surrendered a cheap corner when he lost the ball under Milliken’s challenge and Young took it quickly, sending it back to Pope who fired just wide of target.
Arthurlie made a change in the 65th minute when McTernan came on for Dallas and Tucker responded by making a double switch with Stephen Wilson and Shankland replacing Latta & Milliken.
Talbot finally made their possession pay in the 68th minute. Hyslop stabbed a shot on target that Cowie could only parry. The defence couldn’t clear their lines and Young hooked the ball across goal where it landed at S Wilson who was tripped as he cut across the area. The ball landed at Pope who drilled it into the net but the referee had already blown to signal a penalty. POPE took the spot kick and slotted it home to put Talbot 1-0 ahead. Cowie then foolishly gathered the ball and kicked it against Pope but for some reason the ref chose to ignore this.
Cowie got lucky in the 71st minute. Shankland cut inside from the left and fired a routine shot on target. It looked easy enough for the keeper but he made a real hash of it and was grateful to snatch it at the 2nd attempt.
A minute later G Wilson sped down the left and whipped a great ball across the face of goal. There were no takers in the centre but Talbot won a corner when Palmer swept it behind. When the corner came over Hyslop met it and flashed a header inches wide of target.
A 2nd goal would’ve settled matters and Shankland squandered a decent chance to grab it in the 76th minute. S Wilson made ground down the right before rolling the ball back to find him in space inside the area but he got underneath it and ballooned his shot over.
White picked up a caution in the 79th minute for a foul on McGlinchey.
Talbot were reduced to 10 men in the 81st minute. It all started with an innocuous aerial challenge in the Lie box where Campbell was a fraction late. He fell to the ground in a tangle of bodies and as he got up he was confronted by Palmer who appeared to shove him. Campbell reacted and after the ensuing stramash had settled down the referee sent Campbell off for raising his hands.
It ought to have been game over in the 84th minute. Shankland slotted the ball out left to find G Wilson whose fierce drive was brilliantly touched away by Cowie. It went out wide where S Wilson crossed it into the centre and G Wilson met it 4 yards out but directed his free header too near the keeper and Cowie was able to make a reflex stop to keep it out, at the expense of a corner.
When the corner came over it came out to Hyslop who steered a shot just wide of the left post.
Talbot very nearly paid for their wastefulness in front of goal when Arthurlie almost fluked an equaliser inside injury time. A corner kick into the box was only partially cleared and fell to McGregor. His shot took a hefty deflection and with Leishman going the other way it looked like creeping in, only for Andy to change direction and fling himself to his left to gather it on the line.
The Bot then went down the park and wrapped it up with a late second goal. G Wilson broke free on the right and squared it inside for SHANKLAND who let it run across him before firing a low shot past Cowie to make it 2-0.
No doubt Talbot deserved the points but they made life unnecessarily difficult for themselves and but for a good stop by Leishman in stoppage time might have dropped two points. Next up for Talbot is a trip to Broadwood stadium to face Lowland league side Cumbernauld Colts in the senior Scottish cup.

Arthurlie – White,Rushford, Palmer, Gair, Tart, MacDonald, McGlinchey, McGregor, Smith, Carroll, Dallas

Subs – Blakey, McTernan, Holmes, Burnes, Cowie (gk)

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, Campbell, White, Young, Hyslop, Gillies, Milliken, Latta

Subs – G Wilson, S Wilson, Shankland, Love, Boyd