Catrine Amateurs v Auchinleck Talbot

Auchinleck Under 20’s represented the club at Catrine when they took on the local amateur side in the Stephen Wise Mental Health Awareness Charity Cup on Sunday at Riverside Park.

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Caledonian Braves v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot’s reign as South Challenge cup holders ended as they stumbled to defeat at Alliance Park.

The Bot should have opened the scoring in the 7th minute. Mason pressured a Braves defender into an error and his short back-pass landed at the feet of Samson but he couldn’t beat the keeper.

Chances were few and far between but Talbot had another decent one in the 16th minute. Boylan slid the ball up the right to Mason and when his cross came over Samson flicked the ball into the path of Park, in space at the edge of the area, and he volleyed just over the bar.

The home side came close in the 22nd minute. Butterworth laid the ball back to Lindsay who looked as though he was trying to cross it but it nearly ended up on target – curling just over the crossbar.

In the 29th minute Leishman came to Talbot’s rescue. Lindsay’s pass through the centre sent McNeil through on goal and he looked set to score but Leishman made an impressive stop.

Talbot were forced into a change in the 34th minute with Wardrope coming on for the injured Healy.

The opening goal came in the 39th minute and it was a soft one from a Bot point of view. McNeil drove into the heart of the penalty area past a couple of challenges and when the ball broke loose it fell to WATSON who prodded it past Leishman from 8 yards.

Forrester received a caution in the 42nd minute for a shirt tug on Samson as he broke towards the box resulting in a free kick 30 yards out. Wardrope whipped it up and over the wall but his shot sailed just wide of the left hand post.

In 1st half injury time Talbot passed up a half chance to level. Samson fed the ball to his right to find Mason 12 yards out but his shot lacked power and failed to test White.

The 2nd half started very scrappily with neither side able to hold onto the ball. On the hour mark Mason was cautioned for a late tackle on Guthrie and moments later Talbot made a double switch with Mason & Park making way for Taylor & Smith.

Sixty-two mins in the home side gave Talbot a scare when Walker swung over a dangerous cross from the left that broke to McNeil in front of goal but his shot was blocked away.

A minute later Crawford took one for the team when he received a caution for halting Kelly as he raced forward.

In the 66th minute Talbot drew level with the first good passing move of the match. A series of one touch passes worked the ball out to Taylor on the left and he swept a good ball across the face of goal that came to BRYAN BOYLAN who steered a low shot inside the left post from 8 yards.

Two mins later Boylan raced away down the right and slung a cross into the centre that was headed clear. It only came as far as Crawford who returned it wide to Boylan and this time his cross to the back post was met by Samson whose header was held by the keeper.

The Bot’s next effort came in the 71st minute when Taylor cut inside off the left and let fly from 20 yards but his shot flew over.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot won a free kick out wide on the left for a foul on Taylor. Wardrope drilled it in at pace and McPherson stooped to meet it – heading wide of the far post.

It was incessant Talbot pressure at this stage and Talbot’s next attack saw Wardrope release Boylan down the right and he knocked it across towards Smith at the back post but the defence did well to cut it out.

Talbot were made to pay for failing to turn pressure into goals when the Braves sucker punched them in the 83rd minute.

Kelly burst forward from midfield and carried it deep into the Bot half before sliding it right to find MAIN in space and he gave Leishman no chance with a low drive into the opposite corner to make it 2-1.

Talbot now threw men forward looking for an equaliser. In the 85th minute Smith went down inside the area and the referee booked him for simulation.

In the closing stages Talbot had a couple of half chances. Taylor got his head to Crawford’s cross at the back post but it didn’t trouble White and as the game moved into added time Boylan’s cross into the back post broke out to Taylor who volleyed over the bar.

A disappointing afternoon for the bulk of the crowd with Bot fans making up the vast majority of the attendance. Talbot don’t have time to dwell on it though as they’re back in action on Monday night when they play the Buffs in the league.

Caledonian Braves – White, Guthrie, Walker, Main, Duncan, Forrester, Butterworth, Lindsay, McNeil, Watson, Kelly

Subs – R Stewart, Collins, G Stewart, Brown, Henry

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Crawford, Aiden Wilson, Stafford, McPherson, Healy, Park, Armstrong, Boylan, Mason, Samson

Subs – Taylor, Smith, Lennox, Wardrope, Ballantyne, McCracken

Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Syngenta v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot recovered well from a shaky start to book their place in the 2nd round of the senior cup after an entertaining win at Ochilview.

The home side got off to the perfect start when they opened the scoring in the 5th minute. It was a well-worked goal with the ball switched out to the right touchline to Hilton who quickly squared it across for FOTHERINGHAM to sweep it past Leishman and inside the right hand post from 22 yards.

The goal sparked a response from the Bot and Wardrope came close in the 8th minute when he drilled a low effort just wide of the left hand post.

Syngenta weren’t just there to make up the numbers and they gave Talbot another scare in the 10th minute. Hilton got past Wilson down the right and lifted a deep cross to the far post which Crawford headed away. It came to Rodgers and he fired wide of the right post.

Down the other end Boylan had a decent chance to pull Talbot level in the 11th minute. The home defence didn’t deal with a shy in from the right and it came to Boylan 12 yards out but he didn’t catch his shot cleanly and it scuttled its way straight at the keeper.

A minute later Wardrope had an effort on target from 20 yards but once again it failed to test Duffy.

In the 18th minute Talbot won a set piece in a decent area – 30 yards from goal – out on the left. Wardrope bent it over beyond the far post but no Bot player could get on the end of it.

Two minutes later Wardrope clipped a ball over the defence for Boylan to chase. He got to it on the right of the area but could only fire well over the bar from a tight angle.

The referee then produced two yellow cards in quick succession – firstly booking Samson and moments later cautioning a Syngenta player for kicking the ball away.

Talbot kept plugging away and put together a decent move in the 28th minute. Some neat passing ended with Mason laying it off into the path of Healy at the edge of the area but he pulled his shot and it cannoned off Wardope and straight to the keeper.

On the half hour mark Crawford raced down the right and fired a great ball across that was well cleared inside the 6-yard area.

A minute later Talbot’s pressure paid off as they levelled the score. The Bot were awarded a free kick just outside the box for a trip on Samson. Wardrope’s effort hit off the top of the defensive wall and spun out to the right where Boylan retrieved it and hooked it across goal where AARON MASON steered a low shot inside the right post.

The goal lifted Talbot up a level and they pushed hard to gain the lead. Two minutes from the interval Crawford broke up the right and slid it square to Wardrope in space 20 yards out but his shot sailed straight at Duffy.

Within a minute Boylan burst clear on the right and fired a good cross over to the far post where Mason met it but it had too much pace on it for him to control his header.

Just as it looked as though the sides were going in level Talbot moved ahead in the last minute of the half. Samson cut in off the right and drove into the penalty area before firing a shot on target that Duffy had to tip over. When the corner came over the defence failed to clear and after a bout of headie tennis the ball was gathered by Wardrope near the bye line and he floated a cross over to the back post where KIER SAMSON nodded it home to send Talbot in 2-1 ahead at the interval.

Mason picked up a soft caution early in the 2nd half when he was adjudged to have impeded Duffy as he went to clear it.

The Bot nearly moved two goals ahead in the 52nd minute. Boylan met a cross from the right and his header came back off the crossbar and out to Samson whose header on target was saved by Duffy.

Moments later Talbot came close again. Wardrope gathered on the left before sliding a pass inside to Mason whose fierce drive was tipped over the bar by Duffy.

It had been all Talbot since the break but the home side put together a good break down the right in the 59th minute which ended with Leishman safely gathering a cross in his goal mouth.

On the hour mark Talbot had a decent opportunity to extend their lead. Samson cut inside, beating a couple of men for pace before cutting it back into the path of Wardrope who fired a shot on target but straight at Duffy.

Two minutes later Talbot’s efforts were rewarded with a 3rd goal. Boylan gathered wide on the right and angled a short pass inside to Wardrope who burst forward into the box before squaring it across for KIER SAMSON to pass it into the net.

Syngenta now decided to throw caution to the wind and made a double switch with Johnson and Sheridan joining the fray.

Another goal for Talbot would’ve killed it off and the Bot threatened to grab it in the 69th minute. Wardrope switched play to find Boylan in space on the right and he stepped in onto his left foot and angled a shot on target that Duffy saved low to his right. The ball came out to Mason and he played it back into the centre where Samson met it but his scissor kick flew straight at the keeper.

Talbot looked to be cruising to the win but the game was thrown back into the melting pot when Syngenta pulled a goal back out of nowhere in the 73rd minute. The Bot defence were slow to react to a ball in from the left which broke to SHERIDAN and he buried a low drive inside the left hand post from 22 yards.

Tucker made a double change in the 79th minute with Glasgow coming on for Mason and Park replacing the injured Healy.

In the 80th minute Samson fired over a great ball from wide on the left but the Syngenta defence proved equal to the task and cut it out in the centre.

The Bot then made another enforced change as Crawford limped from the field to be replaced by Taylor.

As the game moved into the closing stages Talbot were still pushing forward looking to finish the tie off. Glasgow had a chance to put the game beyond doubt in the 86th minute when he found himself with time and space at the edge of the area. He tried to place it and his effort was blocked off a defender.

One minute from the end of normal time Talbot grabbed their fourth to settle matters. Glasgow gathered in the centre and ran at the defence before sliding the ball to his right to find Samson. He returned the ball back across goal where JAMIE GLASGOW had continued his run to place it beyond Duffy.

A good game for the neutral to enjoy and a good result for the Bot who now await Sunday’s 2nd round draw. Next up for Talbot it is back to cup action as they travel through to Springburn to face Rossvale in the Scottish Junior cup.

Syngenta – Duffy, Rodger, Cowan, Taggart, Fitzpatrick, Glackin, Fotheringham, Walton, Rodgers, Robertson, White

Subs – Johnson, Erskine, Mooney, Armstrong, Sheridan, Smith

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, A Wilson, McPherson, Crawford, Healy, Wardrope, Ballantyne, Boylan, Samson, Mason

Subs – Glasgow, Taylor, Park, Shankland, Lennox, Hewitt

Auchinleck Talbot v Bonnyrigg Rose


There’s a new name on the South Challenge cup as Talbot recovered from a shaky start to come from behind to beat Lowland League winners Bonnyrigg Rose at Falkirk.

Talbot found themselves a goal down after only 8 minutes. McCracken conceded a free kick just outside the penalty area after wrestling Hunter to the deck and there was nothing Leishman could do but watch as CURRIE fired it over the wall and into the back of the net via the inside of the left hand post.

Bonnyrigg were guilty of slack play a few minutes later when their defender tried to let a ball run out for a goal kick only for Stafford to nick in & steal it and pull it back for Shankland who fired a volley well over under pressure.

Stafford did well in the 12th minute when he charged forward before releasing it to Boylan on the right wing. He swept a good ball across the face of goal but there were no takers and it ran behind for the goal kick.

In the 25th minute Bonnyrigg caught the Bot defence napping with a good ball up the left wing that found Turner racing free and he swept an early ball into the centre which McPherson intercepted at the near post.

Bonnyrigg missed a good chance to double their lead in the 29th minute. Martyniuk played it down the line to find Turner in space and he pulled it back straight into the path of Hunter who met it 15 yards out but sclaffed his shot well wide of the right post.

The Bot put together a neat move in the 32nd minute as Wilson & Boylan combined down the left before Aiden squared it inside for Shankland but he was well challenged at the edge of the area and the ball broke off him and through for a goal kick.

Talbot drew level in the 35th minute thanks to a bit of luck. A cross from the right was headed back across goal by Shankland where it cannoned off the head of WILSON and past his keeper for an own goal.

The goal energised Talbot who moved onto the front foot for the remainder of the half but without really threatening the Rose goal.

A minute from the interval Bonnyrigg were forced into a change when Martyniuk limped off to be replaced by Young and shortly after the teams trooped off for the half-time break.

The Bot came flying out the traps at the start of the 2nd half and had a chance within a minute of the re-start. Hyslop’s diagonal ball found Healy down the right and his cross into the near post was headed into the side-netting by Samson.

Talbot did have the ball in the back of the net in the 49th minute but it didn’t stand. Healy lifted a ball in behind the defence to find Boylan and he lobbed it past the keeper but the assistant’s flag was already raised for offside.

Within a minute Talbot were back on the attack. Healy fed it out right to Samson and he whipped a dangerous ball across the face of goal that Wilson turned behind for the corner.

Talbot’s pressure was rewarded in the 52nd minute when they took the lead. Hyslop was caught inside the Bonnyrigg half and Talbot took the free kick quickly. Healy released it down the right to find Samson and he cut it back into the path of BRYAN BOYLAN who buried it inside the right hand post.

This sparked a response from Bonnyrigg and Leishman was called into action in the 54th minute when Hyslop’s mishit clearance fell to S Gray 19 yards out. He fired it on target but straight down the centre where Leishman tipped it over the crossbar.

Bonnyrigg made their 2nd change of the afternoon in the 59th minute with McGachie replacing Hall up front.

The game was now flowing from end to end with Talbot threatening down the left through Shankland and moments later Barrett speeding up the wing for Bonnyrigg but on both occasions the final ball was lacking.

Samson became the first player booked when he was cautioned in the 66th minute for a trip on Currie; resulting in a Bonnyrigg free kick 35 yards from goal. Currie took it and curled it over beyond the back post where Hyslop headed it behind. When the corner came over Leishman claimed it confidently.

Talbot now sprang onto the counter – a good early ball finding Samson racing down the right and he slung a great cross into the centre but unfortunately there was no one on hand for Talbot.

Bonnyrigg now made their final change with Brett replacing Turner.

In Talbot’s next attack Shankland fed the ball down the left toward Boylan. He managed to rob Rose’s right-back of it before angling a ball across the box that Samson just failed to reach.

Tucker made his first change in the 71st minute with Graham Wilson coming on for Boyd.

Talbot were caught daydreaming in the 74th minute at a Bonnyrigg shy. The ball was thrown into the unmarked Horne who slid a pass through for Barrett down the left of the penalty area but Stafford recovered quickly to get across and block the cross.

With 76 mins gone Talbot made their 2nd change with Glasgow on for Shankland.

As the clock ticked down Bonnyrigg pressed forward in search of an equaliser with Talbot looking to hit them on the break.

In the 84th minute a ball flighted up the right came off the top of Hyslop’s head and was heading toward McGachie on the right of the penalty area but McPherson read it and was quickly across to clear the danger.

A minute later McGachie met a ball into the box and laid it outside the area for Young to hit but he blazed his shot over.

Talbot won a free kick in a promising area in the 86th minute when Boylan was caught 18 yards out wide on the right but Glasgow’s ball in was cleared at the near post.

Play then switched to the other end where a high, hanging cross from the right touchline saw Leishman come to claim it beyond his back post but unluckily he collided with Stafford and it went behind for the corner.

The Bot now turned defence to attack as they successfully fielded the corner and broke swiftly to the other end where JAMIE GLASGOW pounced on a weak back pass to race through on goal, round the keeper and roll the ball into the empty net to put Talbot 3-1 ahead.

Tucker now made a final change with Robbie McCracken coming on for Healy.

Talbot saw the closing stages out without any problems to secure the win to the delight of the travelling fans.

An impressive display by Talbot against the side who won the Lowland League and will play in the SFL next season after breezing past Cowdenbeath in the play offs.

Next for Talbot is the season’s finale where they will take on Yoker Athletic a week on Saturday at Rugby Park looking to clinch their 14th Scottish Junior cup title and end the season with a cup double.

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic – Andrews, S Gray, Wilson, Horne, Martyniuk, Barrett, Currie, Turner, Connolly, Hall, Hunter

Subs – Weir, Brett, Young, Stewart, McGachie, R Gray, Evans

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Craig McCracken, Boyd, Healy, Hyslop, Shankland, Samson, Boylan

Subs – Mason, Graham Wilson, Glasgow, Robbie McCracken, Heaney, Hewitt

The players gather round ‘Tucker’ for a pre-match team talk.


Some happy looking Talbot lads and lassies before kick-off.


Is that thumbs up for the game or for the pre-match pie?


Its Moe, Larry and Curly!!!


The Auchinleck Young Team out in force.


Some very ‘weel kent’ Talbot faces here.


These chaps are all ready for the big kick-off!


The players and officials walk out onto the field of play.


Big Andy is at full stretch in order to pluck the ball out of the air.


Bonnyrigg look to go on the attack but ‘Shankers’ sticks closely to his man.


Wilson and McCracken make sure there is no way through.


GOOOAAALLL!!! Bonnyrigg take an early lead in the final, as Currie fires a free-kick over the Talbot wall and…


…into the back of the net via the inside of the post. 1-0.


Currie and his team-mates race off to celebrate and silence the Black ‘n’ Gold faithful.


The Bonnyrigg players continue to go wild after opening the scoring.


If Big Neilly tells you to do something, you just do it!


With a break in the game, there’s always time to share a joke and a smile.


Healy really tries to get another Talbot attack started.


HOW DID HE NOT SCORE!!! Bonnyrigg miss a golden chance to double their lead but they can only fire the ball wide from very close range.


TALBOT PULL LEVEL!!! Shankland puts Talbot back in the game, as his header gets a helping ‘head’ from…


…the Bonnyrigg defence en route to the back of the net. 1-1.


‘Shanks’ jumps for joy after levelling the match.


Erm…I don’t think ‘Pee-wee’ and Healy are too impressed with your speech ‘Shankers’.


WIT-A-CHANCE!!! With your backside barely back in the seat for the second half, Samson goes extremely close to scoring but his close range low header can only hit the side netting.


Although it was a difficult angle and under pressure, Hyslop still manages to fire off a header but fails to find the back of the net.


TALBOT TAKE THE LEAD!!! The Bonnyrigg ‘keeper and defence are rooted to the spot, as they can only watch Boylan’s strike squeeze past them and into the back of the net. 1-2.


Shankland and Stafford go berserk but I think it got too much for Boylan after scoring Talbot’s second.


Victorious roars and smiles all round for Talbot after Boylan’s goal.


The players continue celebrating, as Boylan rightly receives the praise from his team-mates.


Has that player got a leg for an arm?


After going on a blistering run, Stafford brilliantly threads the ball through the Rose defence.


McCracken in an aerial battle…there’s only going to be one winner.


Boyd gets involved in a tussle for possession.


‘Gee’ goes racing up the park, while being roared on by Boylan.


Bonnyrigg scream for a penalty but their shouts are only in vain.


A little bit of ‘man-handling’, as the players battle for the ball.


Samson acrobatically flicks the ball on during an attack.


Who’s going to get to the ball first during this Matrix style moment in the game.


He’s behind you Keiran!


Steely eyed Glasgow pounces on a mistake by the Bonnyrigg defence and…


…rounds the ‘keeper and fires the ball into an empty net. GAME, SET AND MATCH!!! 1-3.


Glasgow points the way to the Black ‘n’ Gold faithful’s hearts, as he wheels away after scoring.




Nothing quite like celebrating the goal that seals the game!


Win or lose, the players still show respect for each other after the final whistle.


A victory wave from Healy.


McPherson applauds the travelling supporters.


Stafford shows his appreciation to the Talbot fans in the stand.


These types of moments should always be shared with your family.


Wait for it…wait-for-it….


…Big Andy raises the South Challenge Cup, as Talbot win the trophy at the first attempt.


The ‘Mauchline Maradona’ raises the trophy for all the fans to see.


Chris Stafford gets his hands on the trophy.




Graham Wilson poses with the trophy with his family.


The men that won it for Talbot – Jamie Glasgow, Bryan Boylan and Mark Shankland.


Oscar proudly holds the trophy along with his dad Andy Leishman.


Cheshire cat grins all round, as Healy and McPherson pose for the camera.


Hold on…Wilson should be on the left and Stafford on the right. I knew I got it wrong. 😊


It’s a family affair, as both McCracken’s get their hands on the trophy.




Utter mayhem! 😂


Healy…watch what your doing with Samson! We need him in two weeks time!


Talbot physio, Jamie Monaghan, gets his paws on the trophy too.


Mason and Stafford with the South Challenge Cup.


The Dynamic Duo! ‘Tucker’ and Allan show off the trophy to the camera, as they guided Talbot to yet another victorious cup final.


Cumbernauld United v Auchinleck Talbot

Back in the team and back in the thick of the action, as ‘Shankers’ tries his luck from distance.


Nice to see Boylan back in the side after being out injured.


OH SO CLOSE!!! Boylan can only watch in agony, as his shot goes just past the wrong side of the post.


Mason shrugs off his opponent while going on the attack.


GOAL!!! Talbot are all smiles after Boylan scores via an outrageous shot from outside the box. 0-1.


Aaron Mason gets put into the air, as he gets stopped in his tracks.


Steely eyed McCracken makes sure he keeps his eyes firmly on the ball.


HAVE A DIG SON!!! Robbie McCracken fires a powerful strike at goal but it unfortunately gets blocked.


The Talbot bench look on, as Boyd has a crack from distance.


OUCH!!! The Black ‘n’ Gold wall does it’s job, as Wilson deflects the ball away.


You won’t like me when I’m angry!


Cumbernauld let their feelings known to the referee, as the man in the middle awards Talbot a penalty.


TALBOT DOUBLE THEIR LEAD!!! From the spot, Mark Shankland fires the ball home. 0-2.


BLINK AND YOU’LL MISS IT!!! And very soon after scoring from the spot, Talbot make it three, as Samson slots the ball home from inside the box. 0-3.


I think ‘Shankers’ is pointing out something funny about you, Boylan.


Armstrong makes sure the danger gets cleared.


MAY THE ‘FOURTH’ BE WITH YOU!!! It’s two for Shankland and four for Talbot, as Mark fires the ball home from the edge of the ‘D’. 0-4.


Rock on Tommy!!!


Shankland gets swamped by his team-mates, as he gets congratulated after scoring Talbot’s fourth.


WIT-A-CHANCE!!! Boyd manages to poke the ball past the ‘keeper but, unfortunately, the ball can only hit the side netting.


‘Pee-wee’ finds himself with space to send a header towards goal but it fails to find the back of the net.


BRILLIANT SAVE!!! Big Andy does his job by producing a great save to stop Cumbernauld from scoring a consolation goal.


Could it be a hat-trick? Unfortunately not this time for ‘Shankers’, as his effort fails to find a way through.


Samson tries to hurdle his way through the Cumbernauld defence.


FIVE STAR PERFORMANCE!!! Right at the death, Samson pounces inside the box and slots the ball home to make it five for Talbot. 0-5.


Glenafton Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Big Neilly does what he does best, as he wins the ball back for Talbot.


Samson can only watch, as the Glens ‘keeper punches away the danger.


Wardrope goes on a run while asking who is wanting the pass.


Wardrope just can’t get his foot up high enough, as the ‘keeper gets two big fists to the ball.


While his opponent takes a tumble, Samson tries to skip past into the box.


OUCH!!! Mick Wardrope roars out in agony after taking a sore one in a challenge.


The Glens man is poised to strike at the back post but Leishman manages to get a big hand to the ball and scope it out the air in time.


Glenafton try their luck from inside the box but Wilson manages to block the shot and deflect the ball wide.


Caption time folks!!!


‘Pee-wee’ tries to muscle his way through between two defenders but they manage to get to the ball first.


Smiles all round, as the players share a joke during the game.


Samson tries to keep hold of the ball inside the box, while Glenafton shout for offside.


WHAT-A-SAVE!!! The Glens go extremely close to scoring via a very close range header but Leishman pulls off a brilliant save to stop them.


CHANCE!!! Keir Samson goes airborne but his header fails to find the back of the net.


It’s a Mexican stand off, as everybody points the finger at each other.


Young Mason goes on a great run up the middle of the park.


McPherson goes on the attack and motors up the field.


Crawford shrugs off his opponent and races up the wing.


Tempers begin to rise, as ‘Pee-wee’ does his best to calm things down.


WHAT-A-CHANCE!!! Samson finds himself in space but he can only watch his downward header go wide of the goal.


McPherson gets a nasty cut to his head after an aerial challenge.


LATE DRAMA!!! With the 90mins nearly over, Gareth Armstrong pounces on the edge of the box and smashes the ball home. 0-1.


Nothing quite like celebrating a late winner…eh Aaron?


With the boys in black ‘n’ gold winning the game, the Talbot Young Team start drumming out a winning beat.



Talbot left Loch Park with all 3 points after a hard fought derby win over the Glens but it came too late to have any impact on the title due to Darvel’s win over the Buffs.

The Bot started brightly and won a free kick out wide in the 1st minute following a shove on Samson. Wardrope took it short to release Wilson on the overlap and he whipped a decent ball into the centre which was cleared.

A few minutes later Wilson’s hanging cross caused Markey problems with the Glens keeper dropping it near the back post but it didn’t break for Talbot and the defence were able to clear.

In the 8th minute Leishman fired a free kick down the right to find the head of Hyslop. He nodded it into the path of Glasgow who released McCracken down the right and his driven ball was blocked behind for a corner. When Wardrope’s corner came over the defence failed to clear their lines and it broke to Hyslop 16 yards out. He tried to pass it into the corner but his shot was blocked and rebounded out to Wardrope on the right. He swung over a good cross that Markey managed to punch clear.

The Glens keeper did well in the 11th minute when Hyslop played a ball in behind the defence for Wardrope; with the keeper quickly off his line to narrowly beat him to it and clear the danger.

Talbot had a nervy moment in the 17th minute when a ball up the centre landed in behind the defence between Crawford and Leishman. Andy came to claim it at the edge of the box but it wasn’t coming into the area and he had to improvise a clearance under pressure from Kerr.

Blyth had his name taken in the 20th minute for a late challenge on Hyslop.

The home side threatened the Bot goal in the 23rd minute. A cross from the left was headed up into the air by Wilson and dropped down to Martin on the right edge of the area. He cut inside onto his left foot and fired for goal only for McCracken to make the block and send it wide for the corner. The corner was whipped in dangerously but no one anticipated and it flew across goal.

Talbot’s next attack saw Wilson sling over a deep cross to find Wardope beyond the far post. He drilled it back across goal but it slipped wide of the right hand post.

The Glens picked up a 2nd yellow card in the 29th minute when Martin went right through the back of Wardrope.

In the 33rd minute the Glens had a chance to take the lead following a corner from the left. When it came over Kemp got his head to it and nodded it beyond the far post where McKee side-footed it into the side-netting.

Talbot came close to grabbing the lead in the 42nd minute. Glenafton won a contentious free kick wide on the left for what appeared to be a hard but fair tackle from McCracken. When the ball came in Talbot cleared it and broke through Glasgow who raced up field before sliding it left to Samson who cut inside and went for a curling effort that was heading inside the left post until Markey tipped it round.

A minute before the interval Martin raced half the length of the field unchallenged; firing a low drive from 18 yards that was deflected wide of the left post.

Glenafton ended the half strongly though Talbot were left frustrated when the Glens were awarded a very soft free kick just outside the Bot penalty area. The referee came across to speak to Tucker before McKernon took it but he fired it straight into the wall and that was that for the 1st half.

Talbot made a change at the start of the 2nd period with Armstrong on for Wilson. This led to a defensive re-shuffle with Stafford going into the centre and Crawford to right-back.

The Bot looked a bit uncertain in the early stages of the half with Glenafton doing most of the pressing. The home side had a half chance in the 49th minute. They won a corner on the right which was cleared but straight back to the corner taker who lobbed it deep beyond the far post where Rowe had a free header but steered it straight at Leishman.

Talbot had a glorious chance to take the lead in the 52nd minute. Crawford made ground down the right and swung over a great cross that landed at the feet of Wardrope 15 yards out. He could have went for goal but instead laid it off first time into the path of Glasgow who took it round the keeper but couldn’t force it home.

In the 55th minute Glens won a free kick 12 yards out wide on the right following a foul by Armstrong. McKernon flighted it into the centre where Leishman punched it clear.

A minute later the Glens were on the attack again. Markey bowled the ball out to Martin who raced through the centre of midfield before slipping a pass left to Kerr but he was closed down inside the area before he could get his shot away.

Just shy of the hour mark Leishman produced a top save to keep the score level. The Glens switched the ball out to the right where Blyth was in space. He lifted a cross over to the far post to find Kerr in space but his free header was saved at the right hand post by Leishman.

Down the other end Talbot came close when Crawford’s cross was glanced just wide of target by Samson.

Armstrong had his name taken in the 62nd minute when he conceded a free kick 35 yards from goal that McKernon fired straight into the wall.

Talbot now made their 2nd change of the afternoon with McCracken making way for Mason.

The Glens next attack looked well offside but the flag stayed down as McKee raced onto a ball down the left and when he whipped a cross into the centre Kerr met it only to see his header tipped over the bar by Leishman.

Kemp received a caution in the 70th minute for a foul on Wardrope and a few minutes later Glasgow left the field injured to be replaced by Boyd.

With quarter of an hour remaining McPherson charged forward from the back & slid a pass into the feet of Mason but he was falling back as he hit it and scooped his shot well over.

Three minutes later Wardope won Talbot a corner down the left which he took himself. The delivery was spot on and only needed a touch to turn it home but no one had gambled and the ball sped across the face of goal.

Ten minutes from time Healy picked up a yellow card for a trip on Martin and a minute later Rowe received a caution for going through the back of Healy. From the resultant free kick Talbot worked it to Armstrong who flighted a cross onto the head of Samson but he headed it past the left post from a good area.

Two minutes from time Talbot grabbed the late winner. Mason cut inside off the left but was crowded out before he could get his shot away. The ball broke back to GARETH ARMSTRONG on the 18 yard line and his low drive ended up in the back of the net following a deflection.

The Glens piled men forward in added time but to no avail and Talbot saw the game out to secure the win.

Next week Talbot are back on their travels as they head through to Cumbernauld for the final league game of the season.

Glenafton Athletic – Markey, Martin, Cairns, Pettigrew, Murphy, McKernon, Blyth, Rowe, Kerr, Kemp, McKee

Subs – Nisbet, Miller, Fisher, Bennie, Johnson

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, Crawford, Healy, Hyslop, Wardrope, Samson, Glasgow, Robbie McCracken

Subs – Mason, Armstrong, Boyd, White, Hewitt


Craigmark Burntonions v Auchinleck Talbot