Cambuslang Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot


It was a far better day to be watching than playing as the spectators soaked up the sunshine whilst the two teams struggled to cope with the heat and bumpy surface with Talbot doing just enough to secure the win.
The home side made the brighter start and won a series of well-taken corners in the opening spell which the Talbot defence withstood.
For all Cambuslang’s early pressure the first close call of the match came in the 12th minute when Talbot swiftly countered downfield. Samson raced away on the right before sliding the ball across to find Graham Wilson inside the area. He touched it off to Taylor whose low drive slipped inches wide of the left hand post.
The Bot had a let off in the 18th minute. Cambuslang won a corner out on the left and as the in swinger came over Faulds rose to meet it and head it back across goal but his header came off the top of the crossbar.
Reid was lucky not to have his name taken in the 28th minute for a blatant trip on Taylor with the ref contenting himself with awarding the free kick.
Thirty five minutes Cox did find himself in the book when he also up-ended Taylor as he burst forward and that was about it for a first half of very few chances.
The Bot made a decent start to the 2nd half and the Lang keeper had to scramble backwards in the 47th minute to tip a Samson cross over his own crossbar. When the corner came in it was only cleared as far as Taylor who skipped past him on the right before playing it into the near post where Wilson gathered at the 2nd attempt.
Talbot had a half chance in the 50th minute. Taylor cut in off the left and swept a deep cross to the far post. Boylan challenged for it and the ball broke loose with Boylan reacting first to it but he snatched his shot wide.
The travelling support had a scare a minute later. A Talbot shy was thrown back into the box and the bounce of the ball nearly beat Leishman who recovered well to clear the ball out for the shy.
Cambuslang caused the Bot defence problems in the 55th minute when Cox latched onto a ball up the left. He hooked it across the face of goal and Aiden Wilson had to turn it behind for the corner.
On the hour mark Talbot nearly made the breakthrough when Taylor dived to meet Graham Wilson’s cross from the left but his header flew wide of the right hand post.
Two minutes later and Talbot were nearly in again. Samson flicked it on into the path of Graham Wilson and the keeper did well to come out and make the stop.
Talbot made their first change in the 66th minute with Glasgow on in place of Boylan.
The referee then produced 3 yellow cards in as many minutes. Firstly cautioning McCracken for dissent, then Grenfell for a late challenge on McPherson before booking Glasgow though I couldn’t see what for.
With quarter of an hour remaining the home side threatened the Bot goal when Stewart found himself in space down the left. He swung a dangerous cross over to the far post where Aiden Wilson prevented Anson from nodding it home.
Cambuslang now made a change with Nelson on for Grenfell. The sub’s first touch was a foul on Taylor as he bundled him over 18 yards out and a few yards wide of the penalty area. Glasgow took it and delivered the ball beyond the far post where KIER SAMSON met it to head it back across goal and put Talbot 1-0 ahead in the 78th minute.
The home side looked for an early response and Park had to look lively in the 80th minute to get across to cut out a ball in from the left and send it behind for the corner. When the corner came over Leishman gathered then immediately hurled the ball out to find Glasgow breaking down the left. He hit an early ball across towards Taylor but Wilson read the danger and raced out his box to beat Taylor to it and thump the ball out the park.
With 8 minutes remaining Talbot made their 2nd change with Crawford coming on for Taylor and with 5 minutes to go Cambuslang brought on McLarty for McLean.
The Bot nearly killed the game off in the 86th minute. Glasgow’s ball in from the left found Graham Wilson inside the area and he tried to take it round the keeper. The goalie managed to block it but the ball ran out to Crawford on the right of the area and his low drive was cleared off the goal line by Faulds.
Cambuslang had a glimpse at goal with 2 minutes remaining. A long shy from the right was hurled into the centre where 2 Bot players went for the same ball. It broke out to McLarty 15 yards from goal but he hooked his shot well over the bar.
As the game moved into added time Talbot made a further change with Ballantyne coming on for Graham Wilson.
The Bot saw the game out to secure a valuable away win. The side now have an idle Saturday due to a bye in the South Challenge Cup before facing Coldstream at Beechwood in the senior cup in a fortnight’s time.
Cambuslang Rangers – Wilson, Reid, McLean, Faulds, Grenfell, Cox, Stewart, Richford, Anson, McLaughlin, Stevenson
Subs – McLarty, Nelson
Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Stafford, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, McCracken, Healy, Park, Taylor, Graham Wilson, Samson, Boylan
Subs – Glasgow, Mason, Ballantyne, Crawford, Heany

Cambuslang Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot


A last minute winner gave Talbot all three points at Guy’s Meadow and ensured the Bot maintained their 100% record away from home; notching up their 13th win on the road.

Rob Roy made the more promising start, forcing a series of corners, without troubling Leishman in the Bot goal.

The Rabs won a free kick 40 yards out in the 6th minute which Ramage optimistically hit for goal; firing well over the bar.

At the other end Waite swept over a dangerous cross that Gordon punched clear as McDowall challenged him for the ball.

Twelve minutes in Pope sent a good ball down the left to find Samson who cut into the area on his right foot & steered a low shot on target that Gordon comfortably held.

McDowall had a good chance to put Talbot ahead in the 19th minute. He won a corner out on the left which Shankland played deep beyond the back post. Pope cushioned a header back across goal where McDowall ran onto it only to blaze over the bar from 6 yards.

The Bot’s next attack saw Shankland dink a ball between two defenders to free Waite down the right. He raced onto it before drilling a great low ball across the goal mouth that only needed a touch but there were no takers.

Talbot took the lead in the 23rd minute. A free kick out on the right was pinged to the opposite wing where it floated over the head of McLean. McDowall nipped in behind him, took a good first touch and drilled it low across goal where KEIR SAMSON stretched out a leg to turn it home.

The home side had an opportunity to draw level in the 26th minute. Carroll won a duel in the air just outside the area & reacted first to the loose ball; racing through on the left but he pulled his shot wide of the right post as Leishman advanced on him.

Shankland did well a few minutes later; robbing Forrester of the ball out on the right before hitting it low across the 6-yard area where Samson managed to get a flick on it but not enough to put it in.

Talbot were pushing hard for a 2nd goal and nearly achieved it in the 36th minute. Shankland headed on Samson’s long throw and it came to Stephen Wilson whose header looked destined for the back of the net til it was deflected just over off a defender.

For all that it was Talbot doing the pressing the Bot had Leishman to thank for maintaining their lead when he produced a top quality save in the 43rd minute; flying to his left to turn Mackie’s 20 yard effort round the post to ensure Talbot went in a goal in front at half-time.

It was the Bot who started the 2nd half quickest and Waite nearly doubled Talbot’s advantage in the 53rd minute. Shankland laid the ball off to Stephen Wilson & he slid it out right to find Waite who fired a shot back across goal & just past the right post with Gordon rooted to the spot.

Two minutes later McDowall met a cross from the right sending his header wide of the left post.

Stephen Wilson was next to have a go; gathering the ball in midfield he surged through the centre before firing a shot just over the bar from 25 yards.

The Rabs goal was leading a charmed life and Talbot came close again in the 57th minute. McDowall lifted a ball in from the left to find Shankland around the penalty spot & he volleyed it on the outside of his boot narrowly wide of Gordon’s right post.

With 62 minutes gone Rob Roy made a change with Slattery on for Toughy in the middle.

Gordon kept the Rabs in it with a superb save in the 67th minute. McDowall carried it forward before sliding a pass in toward Samson. The defence cut it out but the ball came straight back to McDowall who drilled it for the bottom corner only for Gordon to dive low to his left to turn it round the post.

Tucker made a double substitution after 72 mins with Glasgow & Graham Wilson coming on in place of Shankland & Samson.

Pope received a caution with quarter of an hour remaining when he caught Gallacher. Rob Roy now made their 2nd change with Daly on in place of Hughes.

Rob Roy passed up a good chance to equalise with 12 mins remaining. Gallacher got past Pope down the right & was brought down just wide of the penalty area by McPherson. Gallacher whipped the free kick over & Carroll met it only to send his free header well wide of the left post.

A minute later the Rabs threatened again. Daly latched onto a long diagonal ball on the left wing, cutting in on his right foot & firing a shot just over the bar.

Tucker now made his final change with Armstrong replacing Stephen Wilson.

In the 83rd min Rob Roy made their last change with Sawyers coming on for McLean.

With 5 minutes remaining Rob Roy made it 1-1. Daly gathered on the right and played a low ball back across beyond the far post where CARROLL rushed in to side-foot it home.

Within 2 minutes of falling behind Talbot had a golden chance to regain the lead. Waite raced free down the right & pulled a cross back straight onto the head of McDowall who headed it wide of the left post from 8 yards out.

In the final minute of regulation time Talbot won a free kick inside the Rabs half when Ramage clipped Pope’s heels as he raced forward; resulting in a booking for the Rabs midfielder. The free kick was lifted into the box where McDowall headed it on into the path of Graham Wilson whose shot was well saved by Gordon. The rebound came out to Glasgow who crashed it into the roof of the net but the linesman came to Rob Roy’s rescue; judging Wilson to have been offside when he shot.

Just when it looked like Talbot would have to content themselves with a share of the spoils the Bot produced a last gasp winner deep into injury time. McDowall raced up the left and cut inside Young before drilling a low shot on target. Gordon parried it at his right post but was helpless to prevent GRAHAM WILSON from ramming home the rebound to make the final score 2-1 to Talbot.

Another good away day for the Talbot who will be presented with the league flag before Wednesday evening’s match at home to Pollok.

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy – Gordon, McLean, Clark, Young, Forrester, Toughy, Gallacher, Ramage, Carroll, Hughes, Mackie

Subs – Sawyers, Slattery, Morris, Daly, Vezza

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, Stephen Wilson, White, McDowall, Samson, Shankland, Waite

Subs – Graham Wilson, Glasgow, Kemp, Armstrong