Newtongrange Star v Auchinleck Talbot

Kerr, Lyle(Pearson 45),Pope,Young. A.Wilson, S.Wilson(Armstrong 45),Healy(McDowall 45), McIntyre White 45), G.Wilson(Samson 45),Glasgow (Shanland 45), McKinlay(Kemp 45)

It’s hard to judge how good the Talbot were or how poor the opposition were. But this was an East of Scotland Premier league side and to take ten goals off them was no mean feat.  The writing was on the wall as early as the second minute when Willie Lyle was unlucky to see his shot just go narrowly past the post. Five minutes later Jamie Glasgow was through on the keeper but the home custodian won this duel but the loose ball was kicked off the line after Hamish McKinlay pounced on the rebound.  Talbot were running the show they looked fitter and faster and on the 20th minute their endeavors paid off  when Steven Wilson sent a cross into the box which his Graham Wilson thrashed into the top of the roof of the net.  Star had a decent shout for a penalty waved away but it was 2-0 Talbot on 30 minutes when trialist McIntyre found Jamie Glasgow in the box who turned his defender and curled his shot into the top corner of the net.

The home side couldn’t cope with the onslaught and it was soon 3-0 when Willie Lyle sent a tantalizing cross onto the head of Graham Wilson who made no mistake from six yards out.  The first half rout was completed on 40 minutes when Jamie Glasgow ghosted his way into the box and rolled the ball past the advancing keeper to end the scoring for the first half.

Talbot made six changes in the second half and as they were in the process of settling down Star nicked a goal when Scott beat a static Talbot defense and passed the ball past Kerr to make it 4-1. However on the 55th minute a Shankland corner was headed under the legs of the keeper Dunsmore and as the ball broke loose Keir Samson was first to react when he toe poked the ball over the line. Shankland was the provider once again when his pinpoint corner left Gordon Pope unmarked and he headed the ball past the keeper.  Keir Samson was causing untold misery on the home defense and it was highlighted when he left the full home back line in his wake and stroked the ball past the advancing keeper to make it 7-1 on the 70th minute. It was 8-1 six  minutes later when Samson was fouled 30 yards from the goalmouth and up stepped Mark Shankland to curl the free kick into the bottom of the net. Mark Shankland scored number nine when Pope crossed into the box which fell at the feet of Jack McDowell who sclaffed his shot but it sat up nice for Mark Shankland who thrilled the travelling support when he put the ball past the keeper with an overhead bicycle kick.

The show was over on the 85th minute when Jack McDowall went on a mazy run leaving the home defense in his wake to slot the ball past the keeper to make it 10-1. It was only a friendly but Talbot were excellent in every department while Star who started the game with nearly a full side were left wanting in every department.