Auchinleck Talbot v Johnstone Burgh







Talbot edged out Johnstone Burgh 3-2 at a sunny Beechwood in the Bot’s final preseason fixture.

The Bot made the perfect start taking the lead via a spectacular strike in the 3rd minute.

KIERAN HEALY picked up in midfield and surged forward before hammering a left footed drive from 25 yards that flew in off the underside of the bar.













A few minutes later Smith was unfortunate when he wriggled past a few challenges on the right of the penalty area only to see his final ball across goal cut out.

Burgh had their first good chance in the 10th minute. Dorrans clipped a good ball down the left to find McKenzie racing in behind the defence. He beat Henry to it, taking it wide of target before squaring it into the 6-yard area where Slooves cleared.

It was all square after 14 mins. There seemed no danger when Langan lost possession just inside the Bot half but MCKENZIE eased past Healy’s challenge and drove forward before firing an unstoppable shot inside the right hand post.

The goal lifted the visitors and two minutes later they won a free kick 30 yards from goal. Dorrans took it and curled it over the wall but wide of the right post.

Burgh were having a good spell and had another chance in the 19th minute. Esplin cut the ball back from the right into the path of Dorrans 20 yards out who tried to place it inside the left post only for Henry to turn it round the post.

In the 27th minute Talbot won a shy out in the right that McMillan hurled into the centre. McGowan failed to claim it and Smith managed to force the corner. When Healy delivered it into the centre McGowan flapped at it but Talbot weren’t able to capitalise.

Just after the half hour mark Smith met a ball up the left and laid it off inside to Boyd who fired wide of goal from 20+ yards.

Esplin had his name taken in the 32nd minute for a late challenge on Thomson.

Within a minute Talbot moved back in front. A shy down the left was worked into Smith who burst down the left of the penalty area before squaring it across for FRASER MCMILLAN to tap home at the back post.













Talbot’s next chance came soon after when the Bot won a corner down the left. When it looped over McCracken met it but steered his header over the bar.

Smith had a good chance to put Talbot two clear in the 35th minute. Menzies misjudged the bounce of the ball allowing Smith to get in behind him and race through one on one but the keeper came out on top – getting down to save Smith’s low drive.

Four minutes from half-time Wharton had his name taken for dissent.

A minute before the interval Langan played Boyd in down the right and his ball across goal was cleared behind by Boland. Once again McCracken met Healy’s corner but couldn’t generate the power to test McGowan.

Down the other end Burgh won a corner down the left that was delivered to the far post where Henry had to touch it away before it was cleared.

The half ended with Boland receiving Burgh’s 3rd caution of the evening for a trip 35 yards out. Healy took the free kick but blasted it well over in the final action of the half.

Tucker made a triple switch during the break with McPherson coming on for Park and Lennox on for Langan and Glavin on for Henry.

Burgh levelled for the 2nd time in the 53rd minute. The visitors won a free kick 30 odd yards out which Dorran clipped into the left of the area. A Talbot player got to it but in trying to clear, headed it across the face of goal leaving BROPHY with the simple task of turning it home from close range.

Burgh now made a triple change with Wharton, McCann & McKenzie making way for Paton, McDonald & Brady.

The visitors were now on top and had a half chance to take the lead in the 58th minute. Healy conceded a free kick wide on the right for impeding Boland. Dorrans delivered it into the centre where it was headed clear but came out to Brophy 19 yards out who drilled a shot wide of target.

Burgh now made a further change with Brown on for Boland.

In the 62nd minute Talbot had a chance to regain the lead. McMillan’s arrow like shy from the right found McCracken in the box but he steered his header wide of target.

Both sides found themselves a man down in the 67th minute. Dorrans and Lennox tangled off the ball and after an intervention from the assistant, the referee sent both players to the clubhouse.

Talbot now made further changes with Black and Trialist no. 16 coming on for Thomson & Boyd.

In the 72nd minute Burgh threatened the Bot goal when Brady played it to McDonald on the left and he cut in on his right foot and fired just wide of Glavin’s left post.

Talbot now made a final change with Trialist no. 17 on for McMillan.

Talbot’s no. 17 had a decent effort in the 79th minute. Smith ran across the box from right to left and the ball broke to the trialist in space on the left and he sent a right foot effort just wide of the far post.













Talbot grabbed a late winner in the 86th minute.  A good passing move ended with the ball being switched out to McPherson on the right wing. He got to the bye line and placed a cross onto the head of Talbot’s no.17 who placed his header inside the left post to make it 3-2.

There was time for one more booking, with Healy receiving a caution for a trip late on, but Talbot held out for the win.













Auchinleck Talbot – Henry, Park, Wilson, Slooves, McCracken, Healy, Langan, McMillan, Boyd, Smith, Thomson

Subs – Black, Lennox, Boyle, Trialist, Trialist, McPherson, Glavin


Johnstone Burgh – McGowan, Boland, Crooks, Wharton, Menzies, Esplin, McCann, Dorrans, Brophy, McKenzie, Simeon

Subs – Brown, Paton, McDonald, Gillespie, Brady, Fletcher, Scott



Date Time Competition Season
July 19, 2023 19:30 Friendly 2023/24


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot213
Johnstone Burgh112

Auchinleck Talbot

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Johnstone Burgh

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table