Auchinleck Talbot v Bonnyrigg Rose



Talbot lost out on penalties to Bonnyrigg in the inaugural Pro-turfcare trophy at Beechwood.
Technically a friendly, there was certainly no love lost in an unruly 1st half which kept the referee on his toes. The game was only 5 minutes old when Bonnyrigg’s Turner was cautioned for persistent fouling and Nelson had his name taken in the 13th minute for a late challenge on Faulds.

Another Talbot attack gets motoring.

Next in the book was Talbot’s Lyle when he dived in with studs showing.
The 1st chance of the match came in the 18th minute when Weir lifted a great ball down the right to find Glasgow racing free down the right side of the area. He chipped it for the far corner but Andrews made a good stop; tipping it over the bar.

The final chance of the 90 falls to Talbot, as Hyslop fires a shot at goal from inside the box but the ball narrowly misses the target.

Bonnyrigg were persuaded into a change in the 26th minute. Nelson, already on a booking, got himself involved again & after a brief word from the ref, Bonnyrigg subbed him, with Currie on in his place.
The visitors had a half chance in the 32nd minute when Talbot failed to clear their lines after a shy. The ball came out to McConnell, 18 yards out, and he drilled a shot just over the crossbar.
A hefty 50/50 challenge, as Lyle tries to stop a Rose attack.

Kemp became the 4th recipient of a yellow card when he was penalised for a reckless challenge in the 36th minute.
Bonnyrigg had the ball in the net in the 37th minute when Hoskins tapped home after Leishman saved Jamieson’s glancing header but it was chalked off for offside.
A minute later Andrews was at full stretch to touch Hyslop’s low drive around his left post. Talbot could make nothing of the corner and the remainder of the half tamely fizzled out.
Similarly to last week Talbot made multiple changes at the interval. Off went Armstrong, Lyle, Faulds, Latta & Kemp & on came White, Pope, Stephen Wilson, Thomson & Pooler.
James Latta makes sure his opinion gets acknowledged.

It was Bonnyrigg who settled quicker after the interval & the visitors took the lead in the 49th minute. They won a free kick 25 yards out which CURRIE lifted over the wall. Leishman got across to it but the ball squirmed out his grasp & crept over the line.
Bonnyrigg made their 2nd change in the 55th minute with McIntosh coming on for McConnell.
A minute later Talbot came close to levelling. Leishman bowled it out to Pope who flighted it down the left to find Shankland inside the area. He controlled it, stepped inside past Horne, and spotting Andrews off his line chipped it for goal only to see his effort sail narrowly over the bar.
Talbot jump the highest in order to clear the danger.

Tucker now made a further change with Whyte coming on for Weir & Bonnyrigg also made a switch with Moyes on for Hoskins.
Just after the hour mark Rose made another change with Brett replacing Kidd.
Bonnyrigg nearly doubled their lead in the 68th minute. Currie whipped a free kick over to the far post where Thomson headed it clear. However, it went straight to a Rose player who crossed it into the centre where Jamieson glanced a header on target which Leishman saved to his left.
Jamie Glasgow lobs the Rose ‘keeper but, unfortunately, the ball goes agonisingly wide of the far post.

Talbot weren’t looking like scoring but then out of the blue Bonnyrigg conceded a cheap penalty for handball when a corner came in from the right. STEPHEN WILSON took it & hammered it low inside the right post to draw Talbot level after 75 minutes.
With 8 minutes to go Talbot had another shout for a penalty. Pooler squared it inside to Shankland who appeared to be shoved over as he went to hit it but the ref waved play on.
Hyslop manages to keep hold of possession.

Bonnyrigg made their final change with 4 minutes remaining when Watson came on for Jamieson.
Talbot had a chance to win it right at the death when they won a free kick out on the right. Shankland delivered it into the box & it was cleared straight back to him. This time he slid it across the box to find Hyslop in space down the left but he curled his shot wide of the left post from a good position, and so it went to penalties.
As Faulds gets fouled, ‘Pee-Wee’ calls it.

Brown put Bonnyrigg one ahead before Shankland levelled for Talbot. Leishman then saved Currie’s effort & Glasgow put Talbot 2-1 ahead. Martynuik, Hyslop & Turner all scored but then Stephen Wilson ballooned his effort over the bar. It was now effectively sudden death & Moyes put Bonnyrigg 4-3 ahead. Pope then sent the keeper the wrong way to level it.
‘Shankers’ tries his best to find his way through a very crowded Rose box.

Both Bonnyrigg’s Young & Pooler for Talbot hammered home to make it 5-5 before Brett restored Bonnyrigg’s lead. Thomson then sent the keeper the wrong way to level at 6-6.
McIntosh put Bonnyrigg 7-6 ahead despite the best efforts of Leishman who guessed correctly & got a hand to his penalty but couldn’t prevent it from crossing the line.
Something had to give & when Whyte skied his penalty it was game over.
Talbot’s pre-season continues when they host Troon on Wednesday night before travelling through to face Bo’ness next Saturday.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Armstrong, Lyle, McPherson, Weir, Faulds, Latta, Hyslop, Glasgow, Shankland, Kemp

Subs – Whyte, White, Thomson, Pope, Pooler, McIlroy, S Wilson, G Wilson, Hewitt

Bonnyrigg Rose – Andrews, Horne, Brown, Young, Kidd, Hoskins, Gray, Turner, Jamieson, Nelson, McConnell

Subs – Moyes, Brett, Martynuik, Currie, McIntosh, Watson, Young (gk)


The Bonnyrigg Rose captain lifts the inaugural Pro-Turfcare trophy after beating Talbot 7-6 on penalties.
It’s all smiles for Bonnyrigg, as they celebrate the opening goal of the game. 0-1.
With the game entering the latter stages, Talbot are awarded a penalty and up steps Steven Wilson who……
……fires the ball into the bottom right-hand corner and pulls Talbot level. 1-1.
The ball gets closely watched by the Talbot defence, as Bonnyrigg get a headed chance at goal.
Talbot to the left of me…Rose goal to the right…here I am…stuck in the Bonnyrigg box.
Smile for the camera now Jamie.
The Rose player takes a tumble, as Kyle Faulds tries to win the ball back.
From very close range, Andy Leishman pulls off a great save, however……
……the rebound falls into the path of a Bonnyrigg player who finds the back of the net but, thankfully for Talbot, he is deemed to be offside by the officials.
Shankland winces, as this Rose player clears his lines.
“So who does number 2 work for?”
Gordon Pope races down the wing and gets onto a pass from Glasgow.
Somebody hurry up and give Gordon a high-five and don’t leave him hanging!
Whyte and McPherson look on, as Steven races back down the park.
Somebody looking for a hug?
Shnakland races into the box and gets stopped in his tracks.
A hefty mid-air challenge for Talbot’s Whyte.
Jamie Glasgow tries to evade a tackle.
THAT was a chance!
So the dreaded penalty shoot-out commences and it is Bonnyrigg that is first to miss one, as Andy guesses correctly.
And that save again but from a different angle.
Next to miss a penalty was Talbot. He scored the equalising penalty within the 90 but, unfortunately, blasts this one over the bar.
Again, from a different angle, you can see how close Steven missed this penalty.
With the shoot-out now entering sudden death, Talbot had to score to stay in it but, unfortunately, Jamie Whyte sends the decisive penalty over the bar. Photographs by Paul Flynn.



Date Time Season
July 22, 2017 14:00 2017/18


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot011
Bonnyrigg Rose011

Auchinleck Talbot

Position Goals Assists YC RC

Bonnyrigg Rose

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table