Lugar Boswell v Auchinleck Talbot

On paper this game looked a banker for Talbot & it followed the script as the Bot swept Lugar aside 5-0 in a one-sided encounter.
Talbot dominated from the outset & could have taken the lead in the 7th minute when G Wilson ghosted past Drummond & whipped over a cross that Shankland headed straight at the keeper from 8 yards.
Two minutes later the roles were reversed, this time Shankland’s clever reverse pass sending G Wilson through on the left side of the area but he blazed his shot over the crossbar.
Talbot’s next attack saw Montgomery concede a free kick when he clipped the heels of Glasgow. Shankland swept the ball in low across the goal mouth but no one could get the final touch & it flew past the back post.
Graham Wilson then had a chance to open the scoring when his brother’s cross from the right touchline found him in space but he steered his header straight at Davis.
The pressure told & Talbot took the lead in the 17th minute. Shankland nodded a ball on through to GRAHAM WILSON who burst into the box & rounded the keeper before stroking the ball into the empty net.
Five minutes later Talbot doubled their lead. Latta knocked a good ball up the right to find Shankland running in behind. He lifted a cross to the far post where GLASGOW nodded it back across goal & beyond the keeper.
The game was over as a contest in the 27th minute when Talbot grabbed their third. Lugar conceded a free kick 25 yards out when Shankland was barged in the back. POPE took it & fired wide of the wall & past Davis, who seemed to think it was going wide until it was too late.
As often happens when a team races into an early lead Talbot unconsciously switched down a gear, continuing to dominate possession but rarely looking like adding to their lead before the interval.
They did have a chance in the 41st minute when Shankland’s pass sent Glasgow free on the left. He hammered it for the near post where Davis made the stop & the keeper recovered to smother the loose ball.
The 2nd half followed on where the 1st had left off with Talbot camped in the Lugar half looking for a way through a packed defence.
Shankland had a good chance to add to Talbot’s tally in the 53rd minute. Glasgow squared the ball in from the left & Shankland ran onto it 12 yards out & tried to pass it home but side-footed just wide of the right post.
The fourth goal arrived after 57 minutes when Pope cut the ball back to THOMSON who swept it home.
Tucker now made a triple substitution with Shankland & the Wilson brothers departing to be replaced by Kemp, Pooler & McIlroy.
The game’s one & only yellow card appeared in the 63rd minute for Lugar’s Drummond who was penalised for a blatant trip on Glasgow.
Talbot’s next attack saw Thomson win the ball just outside the box & release Kemp down the right. He raced into the area but chose the wrong option & fired wide from a tight angle.
Lugar now made a change with Orr coming on for Curtis & Talbot made a precautionary move with Latta leaving the field after taking a knock & Talbot seeing out the game with 10 men.
The extra man made no odds to the pattern of the match & Talbot continued to dominate.
Lugar were content to sit in & keep the score down and it worked for the most part but in the final minute Talbot added a fifth to complete the rout. Kemp cut in from the right & angled a ball into the near post which Pooler helped on to GLASGOW who rammed it home from close range.
A comfortable night for the Bot on the pitch, which is more than can be said for the spectators who spent an uncomfortable evening being plagued by Rosebank’s infamous horde of midges. Next up for Talbot is a home tie against Kello Rovers this Saturday.

Lugar Boswell – Davis, Montgomery, Lowe, Crolley, Drummond, Struthers, J Malone, Milligan, Shirkie, Curtis, Conn

Subs – Millar, Blair, Brown, G Malone, Orr

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Latta, Pope, McPherson, Weir, Thomson, Armstrong, Glasgow, G Wilson, Shankland, S Wilson

Subs – McIlroy, Pooler, Kemp, Lyle, White

Read more:

Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot completed a clean sweep of victories over old foes Cumnock, defeating them for the 4th time this season to book their place in the Evening Times cup final.
The Talbot ranks were depleted by injury & the defence had a makeshift look about it with Lyle partnering White in the centre of defence, Boyd filling in at right-back & the management team doubling as substitutes.
Despite this, Talbot got off to a strong start & nearly took the lead after 4 minutes. Pope fired a free kick from his own half into the Cumnock box which Hyslop headed down into the path of Shankland whose shot just cleared the crossbar.
Ronald looked Cumnock’s main threat, and he provided Malone with a chance in the 9th minute when he got round the outside of Pope & fired a low cross into the near post which Malone flicked on target, only for Leishman to produce a fine save to deny him.
Cumnock made an early change, bringing on Scott in place of McKenzie after 17 minutes.
Johnson was called into action in the 19th minute after Love fed the ball back to Young on the right & his cross to the back post had to be punched clear by the Nock keeper.
Milliken came close a few minutes later when he out-muscled Esplin to win the ball just outside the Nock box before firing over the bar.
Samson had his name taken in the 26th minute when he tripped Steven Wilson 22 yards out, just as he was about to shoot. Shankland took the free kick & curled it over the wall for the far corner. It looked to be heading in but Johnson dived full length to tip it round his right post.
Talbot were making most of the running & they threatened again in the 32nd minute. Love played it out right to find Shankland & he played an inviting ball across the face of the penalty area but there was no one in the 6-yard box to convert for Talbot.
Wilson ought to have put Talbot ahead in the 34th minute when he met Milliken’s cross from the left but he guided a free header over the bar from the centre of goal.
Finally, Talbot made their pressure count in the 36th minute when they moved ahead with a well-constructed goal. Talbot players swapped passes down the right before Milliken squared it across to YOUNG & he passed the ball inside Johnson’s left post from 18 yards to give Talbot the lead.
Cumnock hadn’t offered much threat but they did have a half chance right on the stroke of half-time when Boyd conceded a free kick 30 yards out. Scott hit it but whilst he got it up & over the wall it didn’t dip in time & flew over the bar & Talbot went in a goal ahead at the interval.
There was no let up from Talbot after the re-start & they made all of the early running in the 2nd half. Shankland sent Boyd free down the right in the 51st minute & Lundie did well to head his dangerous cross clear in the centre.
Moments later the Nock defence were stretched again. Love beat Wood to Shankland’s hanging cross & nodded it back across goal where Young attempted to steer it home, only to see his effort blocked by Murphy.
The pressure continued & Talbot won a free kick wide right of the penalty area which Shankland swept to the far post where Pope just failed to make contact.
Cumnock managed to force a couple of corners in quick succession but could make nothing of them and then Ronald had a half chance when he latched onto a ball over the top but he dragged it out wide left before firing a shot well wide of target.
Cumnock were thrown a lifeline in the 59th minute when hesitant defending allowed them to equalise. There seemed little danger when a ball came over the top but Lyle hesitated for a fraction, letting it bounce, and SCOTT nicked in behind him & slotted it past Leishman to make it 1-1.
Rather than lift Cumnock the goal seemed to energise Talbot who stepped up a gear.
Steven Wilson had a decent crack at goal in the 61st min when he cut in from the left & fired wide of target. A minute later Hyslop had a half chance to restore Talbot’s lead. Love closed down Crawford & blocked his attempted clearance. It spun inside the area to Hyslop who could have hit it 1st time but opted to take a touch & Murphy was able to block.
Milliken then tried his luck from distance, firing a powerful shot wide of target from 30 yards.
The referee bizarrely awarded Cumnock a free kick when Hyslop beat his opposite number to the ball & kicked it off him, and Talbot nearly paid for the referee’s blunder when Scott whipped a dangerous ball in from the right that glanced off the top of Murphy’s head & wide of target.
Wilson squandered a golden chance to put Talbot ahead in the 68th minute. He threaded the ball out to Milliken on the right of the area & Johnson could only parry his shot on target. The ball came out to Wilson 12 yards from goal but he shot past the right hand post with the keeper stranded.
Watt found himself in the book in the 69th minute for dissent & Steven Wilson joined him a few minutes later when he was penalised for a late tackle.
The longer the game went on the more Talbot asserted their authority, pushing Cumnock back deeper & deeper into their own half.
Cumnock had a rare chance to test the Bot defence in the 80th minute. Hyslop conceded a free kick out on the right for a foul on Samson, receiving a booking into the bargain, & Scott whipped the ball over to the far post but it proved to have just too much on it & no one could get a touch.
Talbot were unfortunate not to take the lead in the 82nd minute. Shankland fizzed a cross over from the right touchline for Love to attack. He dived to head it for goal but it cannoned off Crawford & flew just past the post.
A minute later Talbot missed their 2nd glaring chance of the evening. Love did well out on the wing, jinking past Wood into the penalty area. He pulled it back for Young whose shot was blocked by a defender. The ball broke kindly, falling to Shankland straight in front of goal but he opted to go for power & the spectacular finish & ended up volleying over from 8 yards.
Fortunately, no harm was done as Talbot took the lead in their next attack. Leishman knocked the ball out to Young & he scurried forward from midfield before releasing it out right to MILLIKEN who slammed a low drive past Johnson to put Talbot 2-1 ahead in the 84th minute.
Cumnock looked a beaten team & frustration got to Ronald who picked up a caution for a clumsy challenge on Milliken.
Tucker made a late change in the 87th minute when Love limped off the field to be replaced by Findlay. The sub almost made the perfect impact, lobbing a shot on target from out wide on the right that Johnson had to claw away from his right hand post.
In the closing seconds Wood managed to escape a yellow card despite persistent chirping at the ref, only to get booked in injury time for flattening Shankland by the corner flag. Talbot took the free kick short & worked it back to Hyslop who thundered a shot over the bar from 25 yards in the last action of the match.
This was a good performance from the Bot who could and should have won by a more convincing margin. Next for Talbot is the season’s finale at Newlandsfield where they will be presented with the league trophy before facing Renfrew in the Evening Times final.

Cumnock – Johnson, Wood, Crawford, Lundie, Murphy, Esplin, Ronald, Samson, Watt, Malone, McKenzie
Subs – Scott, Quinn, Lowe, Shepherd

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Hyslop, White, Boyd, Young, S Wilson, Milliken, Shankland, Love
Subs – Sloan, McLuckie, Findlay, Johnstone

Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Cumnock Juniors 2 Auchinleck Talbot 3 (H-T 0-1) | Auchinleck Talbot Forum

Talbot beat Cumnock for the 3rd time this season, and this was the sweetest of the 3 for the Bot support as it secured their place in the West of Scotland final & was sealed by an injury time winner.
The game had all the intensity you would expect from the fixture & the ref was called on as early as the 2nd minute when Burns looked to flatten Hyslop with a reckless tackle. To the disbelief of the large Bot support, the ref awarded the free kick to Cumnock.
Endeavour was triumphing over football, with both sides battling for the ball over the pitch, and a stiff breeze not aiding matters.
Cumnock won a free kick in a good area in the 10th minute when Watt was fouled out on the touchline. Scott whipped a dangerous free kick in from the right which Leishman punched clear.
Talbot put together a good passing move in the 12th minute. Hyslop squared it for Pope who fed it up the left to Graham Wilson. He sent it across the box to Steven Wilson who touched it onto the path of Shankland who hit a low shot straight at Johnston.
The 1st goal came in the 18th minute after a bad error from Woods. The Nock right-back needlessly tripped Graham Wilson just inside the penalty area & the ref pointed straight to the spot. GRAHAM WILSON buried the penalty inside the right post to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.
Cumnock weren’t getting much joy out the Bot defence but they did threaten an equaliser in the 27th min. Watt timed his run in behind the defence & when stymied the ball broke to Malone whose shot was heading on target until blocked by the outstretched leg of McGoldrick.
Two minutes later Talbot tested the Nock keeper. Hyslop, dominant in the air all day, flicked the ball into the path of G Wilson on the right of the area & he tried a curler to the far corner which Johnston saved.
Talbot made an injury enforced substitution on the half hour mark when McGoldrick left the field & Young came on. This led to a reshuffle, with Steven White dropping into defence.
There wasn’t much to get excited about in the remaining quarter of an hour with Talbot looking comfortable in their lead, the only scare coming a minute before the interval from a set piece. The ball was driven in from the left looking for Murphy but the Cumnock centre-half couldn’t get his head on it with Leishman stranded off his line.
The 2nd half was only a minute old when Esplin talked himself into the book.
Steven Wilson had a half chance in the 49th minute. Hyslop flicked the ball into the centre & when the defence failed to clear their lines it came out to Wilson 15 yards out but he snatched at it & volleyed well wide of goal.
Lundie picked up Cumnock’s 2nd booking in the 54th minute for a barge into the back of G Wilson resulting in a Bot free kick 35 yards out. Shankland succeeded in hitting the target but Johston was well positioned to make a comfortable save.
Cumnock made the game’s first change in the 57th minute when Quinn came on for Malone and a minute later G Wilson landed in the ref’s notebook when penalised for an aerial challenge.
The game was now swinging Cumnock’s way & Watt had an opportunity to level in the 59th minute. White misjudged a high ball at the edge of the area & when it bounced over him Watt flashed a shot wide of the right post.
It was all square in the 61st minute. Watt spread the ball out to Scott on the right wing & he knocked it into the near post where MONTGOMERIE dispatched it past Leishman.
Talbot made a 2nd change after 67 mins with Milliken coming on for Lyle, with Boyd dropping back to right-back but before the sub had a chance to touch the ball Cumnock moved in front.
Once again, Scott was the provider, speeding down the right before cutting the ball back across the box. McCracken deflected it out but it came straight to ESPLIN who steered a low shot into the bottom right corner.
Cumnock should have been down to ten men in the 69th minute when Watt lunged into a reckless, late tackle on McCracken but the ref felt it only merited a booking.
In a role reversal of the 1st half Cumnock were now looking comfortable defending a one goal lead with Talbot chasing the game without threatening the Nock goal.
That was until the 78th minute when the Bot drew level thanks to a well taken goal. Boyd headed the ball towards the Cumnock box where Shankland hooked it on into the area. GRAHAM WILSON ran onto it & smacked a perfectly aimed volley over the keeper into the roof of the net to make it 2-2.
The goal galvanised Talbot who produced a couple of half chances in the next few minutes. Firstly Milliken skinned Woods for pace down the left only to see his low cross smothered at the near post by Johnston. Moments later Hyslop laid the ball off to Boyd on the overlap & he paced free on the right & drilled a low ball across goal which forced Murphy into a last gasp clearance.
Shankland had a chance to win it with 5 minutes remaining. Hyslop opened the defence up with a disguised pass to the left that eluded Graham Wilson but landed right at the feet of Shankland on the right of the area, however he got no weight behind his shot & Johnston was able to save to his right.
As the game moved into the closing stages & penalties loomed Cumnock looked to have the upper hand as Talbot conceded a couple of needless free kicks deep in their own half which Leishman & the defence dealt with.
However, in the 2nd minute of injury time it was Talbot who had the last word. Pope flighted a ball out to the right of the penalty area which Hyslop headed across goal & SHANKLAND beat Lundie to it to head home from close range, winning the game for Talbot & sending most of the crowd home happy.
This was a hard fought win for the Bot who now face Hurlford at Newlandsfield in the West final at the end of May. At this stage of the season every game’s a big one, and next up for Talbot is another derby encounter when they host Glenafton on Monday night in the league looking to move another 3 points closer to retaining the league.

Cumnock – Johnston, Woods, Lyndsay, Lundie, Murphy, Esplin, Montgomerie, Burns, Watt, Malone, Scott
Subs – Ronald, Samson, Quinn, Lowe

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, McCracken, White, Boyd, Hyslop, G Wilson, S Wilson, Shankland

Subs – Gillies, Milliken, Young, Latta, Johnstone

Read more:

Lugar Boswell vs Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Ardagh with a win at Rosebank over a stuffy Lugar side 1440278118_6644but made hard work of it.
Talbot started brightly and mght have taken the lead after 2 minutes. Hyslop slid a pass out to Shankland on the left and he fired a good early cross into the centre toward G Wilson which Gall did well to cut out.
Leishman had little to do in the 1st half as a whole but was called into action in the 5th minute when Lyle’s weak header landed at the feet of Mitchell who shot straight at the Bot keeper.
Lugar then retreated into their shell and seemed content to sit deep midway in their own half and hope on the linesman’s flag coming to their rescue.
Gall was tested in the 12th minute when Boyd raced free on the overlap and slung the ball beyond the far post. Young kept it in play and directed it back across goal where Shankland lobbed an effort on target that Gall snatched out the air.
Two minutes later Talbot had another effort at goal. McGoldrick found Stevie Wilson racing free on the right and he crossed it to the far side of the box where his brother Graham volleyed wide of target.
Talbot took the lead in the 16th minute. Young switched play out right to find Stevie Wilson running into space and he whipped the ball across the 6-yard area where SHANKLAND nodded a free header home from close range.
Boyd had a real chance to put Talbot on easy street in the 22nd minute. He raced onto Shankland’s clever flick and burst into the box where he seemed set to fire for goal but he took one touch too many, allowing Muir the chance to slide in and clear it behind for the corner. Pope knocked the corner to the far side of the 6-yard box where Campbell towered a header back across goal. It had Gall beaten all ends up but Hilton was perfectly 1440278187_1137positioned to clear it off the goal line.
Talbot continued to dominate and came close again in the 25th minute. Young lifted an early ball down the left wing to find Graham Wilson and he swept an early cross into the near post which Gall had to block with his legs with Shankland waiting in the centre.
As the half wore on, the quality deteriorated, with Talbot well on top without looking like adding to their lead and Lugar producing plenty of effort but precious little otherwise.
After this hiatus of quarter of an hour or so Talbot again began to threaten the Lugar goal; firstly Young volleyed over the bar after being set up by Shankland and then McGoldrick set things rolling with a well-weighted pass out to Shankland whose cross found Graham Wilson unmarked in the centre, but it was a touch too high and skidded off the top of his head and behind for a goal kick.
Shankland had a decent chance to grab his and Talbot’s second in the 41st minute. Graham Wilson fired in a superb cross from the left that Shankland met at the far post but his powerful header was parried clear by Gall.
Hyslop had the final chance of the 1st 45 when he met Pope’s corner from the right in the final minute but he glanced his header wide of the right hand post.
Talbot started the 2nd half in fine fashion and looked set to extend their lead in the opening exchanges.
Graham Wilson ought to have put Talbot two ahead in the 50th minute following good work by Boyd & Hyslop on the right but when the ball was cut back across goal he took a fresh air swipe at it and the chance was gone.
A minute later Talbot won a free kick right on the edge of the area when Shankland was tugged back as he ran onto Young’s lay off. Shankland hit it and tried to drill it inside Gall’s left post but the keeper got across to make the stop.
1440278293_1984Shankland very nearly added to Talbot’s lead in the 53rd minute when he found space out on the right and dinked a delicate lob over Gall that just cleared the crossbar.
Lugar now made a change with McCowan replacing Hilton.
Talbot missed a double sitter in the 56th minute. The Bot won a corner out on the right and Pope hit it to the far post where Campbell headed it powerfully back across goal. Hyslop looked sure to knock it in from 6 yards but failed to connect & the ball then bounced up off the bobbly surface and Stevie Wilson went to head it home, only to direct his header over the bar from close range.
Both sides now made changes with Lugar bringing Antoine on for McMaster and Talbot replacing Hyslop with Love, and then the home side made a further change with Faulds on for Mitchell.
Most of Talbot’s chances were falling to Shankland and he came close again to grabbing his 2nd in the 69th minute. McGoldrick spread it out left to find Graham Wilson and he nodded it across to Shankland who lifted a shot just over the bar.
The longer the game went, the poorer the game became and Talbot looked comfortable at one up without looking like adding to it.
Tucker made a switch in the 73rd minute when Gillies came on for Graham Wilson and a further change followed with 10 minutes remaining with Milliken on for Shankland.
After a lengthy spell as a virtual spectator, Leishman was called upon in the 83rd minute when Stevie Wilson dawdled on the ball & lost possession, deep in his own half. McCowan gathered on the right and cut in field before drilling a shot from 20 yards straight at Leishman.
The game seemed destined to meander to a close but Talbot perked up in the final stages and added a few goals to add a more realistic look to the final score line.
With 88 mins on the clock MILLIKEN got in behind the defence on the left and buried a low shot back across Gall and into the far corner to make it 2-0 to Talbot.
Lugar had an opportunity in the last minute of regulation time to pull a goal back when Faulds won a corner out on the right. McCowan whipped it into the near post where Faulds directed his header over the bar.
Deep into injury time Talbot won a free kick right on the edge of the Lugar box when Love was prevented from breaking into the penalty area. Pope took the set piece and drilled a low shot wide of the wall which Gall dived to save low to his right, but LOVE had followed up and he swept the rebound home to make the final score 3-0 to the Talbot.
This win sets Talbot up with a home tie next Wednesday in the quarter-finals when Maybole visit Beechwood.

Lugar – Gall, Waite, Ballantyne, McCreadie, Muir, Young, Johnstone, McMaster, Mitchell, Clapperton, Hilton
Subs – Faulds, McCowan, Kiefer, Antoine

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, Campbell, Boyd, S Wilson, Hyslop, G Wilson, Shankland, Young
Subs – Gillies, Latta, Love, Milliken, Findlay