Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok


Tired legs finally caught up with Talbot as they lost at home to Pollok in the penultimate fixture of the league campaign. Now the title chase will go down to the last day when Talbot make the short trip through to Cumnock needing a win to claim the title.
Talbot started the game in fine fettle & had a decent chance to take the lead in the 3rd minute. Glasgow paced away from Wharton down the left & cut it back across goal. It came to McIlroy with his back to goal & he was able to turn on it but sclaffed a left foot shot wide of the far post.
Two minutes later Talbot had the first effort on target. Hyslop’s ball up the centre found McIlroy just outside the penalty area & he carried it forward before stabbing a low shot on target that Longmuir held.
The Bot kept up the pressure & had a near miss again in the 7th minute when Glasgow cut in off the left & swept a dangerous cross over to the back post which just cleared the head of McIlroy before being gathered by Longmuir.
For all Talbot’s early running it was the visitors who opened the scoring in the 10th minute in their first attack. White won the ball in midfield but then gave possession away with a sloppy pass. Forde slid an early pass out right to release GARY MCCANN into space & he raced into the box, rounded Leishman, and rolled it into the empty net.
Talbot tried to get straight back into it & their next attack saw Glasgow bursting through on the left but he was just beaten to the ball by Longmuir. The game was then held up for a spell to allow treatment to the Lok keeper.
The pressure was soon back on the Lok rear-guard and Talbot came within a whisker of levelling when Graham Wilson met his brother’s square ball across goal & thumped a shot off the crossbar which a defender scrambled behind. When Glasgow’s corner came over Longmuir couldn’t claim it at the near post & it came to GORDON POPE at the far side of 6-yard box & he drilled a low shot home to make it 1-1 with 20 minutes gone.
Talbot’s tails were up again & they had a good spell of pressure. Pope directed a good cross to the back post which just flew over Hyslop’s head and a few minutes later McIlroy climbed to meet Pope’s cross only to see his header deflected wide off Wharton. When the corner came over Longmuir did well to punch it clear at the back post.
On the half hour mark Graham Wilson hit the woodwork for the 2nd time. He raced onto a ball down the left & hit it early, driving a shot off the top of the bar & over for a goal kick.
A minute later Graham Wilson forced a good stop from Longmuir when he got his head on the end of a cross from the right; the Lok keeper diving low to his left to keep it out.
Pollok threatened again in the 33rd minute when G McCann squared the ball across to Forde & he drilled a low shot on target that Leishman held inside his left post.
The visitors regained the lead in the 34th minute. They won a corner down the left which McCluskey played into the centre. Hyslop headed it clear but the ball came out to G MCCANN who arrowed a shot into the bottom corner past Leishman’s left hand to put Pollok 2-1 ahead.
Talbot re-gathered themselves and pushed forward again to find a way back into the game. It ought to have been all square three minutes from the end of the half. Glasgow cut in off the wing & curled the perfect cross into the centre. Hyslop looked certain to nod home but got too much on it and headed over the bar and so Pollok went in a goal to the good.
The 2nd half proved a half too far for Talbot & right from the off it was Pollok who made most of the running. McPherson received a yellow card in the 49th minute for a trip just outside the area. When the free kick was whipped across goal White headed it clear.
Pollok threatened again in the 53rd minute when McCluskey nearly got on the end of a diagonal pass but Leishman was swiftly off his line to gather.
Talbot had a real chance to grab an equaliser in the 55th minute. Graham Wilson was played in down the left & looked set to pull the trigger from 15 yards but instead opted to square the ball across for McIlroy allowing the defence to intercept.
McCracken became the 2nd Bot player cautioned when he received a yellow card for a trip in midfield on the hour mark.
The Bot fans had an inkling it wasn’t going to be our day in the 66th minute when Longmuir produced an outstanding save. Glasgow picked the ball up in the centre & had the time to carry it forward before unleashing a thunderbolt of a shot that looked in all the way; until Longmuir dived to his right to touch it away.
Tucker made a change in the 68th minute with Shankland coming on for White.
As the game wore on it became apparent that Talbot were running on empty & Pollok began to press. A 3rd goal would have killed the game off and Pollok nearly nabbed it in the 74th minute. G McCann waltzed in off the left & evaded a couple of challenges inside the area before squeezing off a shot for goal. It was heading in but Graham Wilson got back to make a goal line clearance.
A minute later and Pollok hit the woodwork when McGregor lobbed the ball across the face of goal and saw it hit off the face of the bar.
Talbot now made a 2nd change with Armstrong replacing McIlroy.
Shankland had a half chance to get Talbot back on level terms in the 83rd minute. Graham Wilson met Stephen Wilson’s cross from the right & he teed it up for Shankland 20 yards out but he was leaning back as he struck it & sent his shot high over the bar.
Five minutes from time Pollok had a chance to extend their lead. They won a free kick on the left when Armstrong was penalised for a trip on Gallacher. The free kick was flighted into the centre where ex-Bot favourite Young ran onto it unchallenged but he got underneath it & scooped his header well over.
Pollok ran the clock down in the closing stages with a couple of late substitutions; McCluskey receiving a caution in injury time for time-wasting as he left the field.
A disappointing result but the league still remains in Talbot’s own hands and now they know exactly what’s required on the final day. All thoughts of the league will be banished for now though as Talbot enjoy a week of rest before facing Hurlford next Sunday at Rugby Park in the Scottish Final.Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, S Wilson, Hyslop, White, Glasgow, McIlroy, G Wilson

Subs – Shankland, Armstrong, Pooler, Thomson, Harvey

Pollok – Longmuir, Niang, Sideserf, Wharton, Gallacher, McGregor, G McCann, McCluskey, S McCann, Forde, Young

Subs – Byrne, Brash, Rowan, Hepburn, Johnson


Auchinleck Talbot v Girvan

Auchinleck Talbot v Glenafton Athletic

This year’s title chase looks like going right down to the wire & Talbot kept themselves in the hunt with a hard earned victory over local rivals Glenafton.
Talbot started the game brightly and tested McGarrity as early as the 3rd minute. McIlroy slid the ball through to find Glasgow on the right of the area & he drilled a shot on target that McGarrity saved low to his right.
Within a minute Talbot had another chance. McIlroy ran onto the end of a cross from the left touchline but headed wide of target.
The Bot kept the pressure up & were helped when the Glens conceded a needless corner kick. Glasgow whipped over an in swinging cross that the defence could only knock back out to him on the left. This time he fired a cross into the near post where Graham Wilson glanced it over the bar.
The Glens first chance came in the 7th minute. McPherson was deceived by the bounce of the ball when chasing a long ball down the centre. Andrew was able to nip onto the end of it & laid it back to McCann who blazed a shot over the bar.
Talbot grabbed the opening goal in the 8th minute. Graham Wilson sent the ball out to JAMIE GLASGOW on the left side of the penalty area & he took it past McAusland before drilling an angled shot back across goal & into the far corner.
Glenafton had an effort on targe within a minute of going behind but it was a routine save for Leishman as Andrew turned in the area & shot straight at him.
McChesney made an important interception in the 18th minute to deny McIlroy a free header. Graham Wilson whipped a great cross over from the left that was heading straight for McIlroy 6 yards out but McChesney was able to stretch & head it to safety.
The visitors came close to levelling in the 23rd minute. Cairns cross took a slight deflection & floated right onto the head of McCann whose header clipped the crossbar.
Talbot’s next chance came on 28 mins. Glasgow stole the ball just inside the Glens half & raced through the centre before releasing it to his right to find Graham Wilson inside the penalty area. He could have carried in on goal but opted to hit it 1st time & belted a shot straight at McGarrity.
Down the other end Talbot had a close call when Lynnas broke down the right & squared the ball into the near post where McCann met it unopposed only to trundle a shot wide of goal.
Lyle had his name taken in the 34th minute for a late challenge on Moore out on the touchline.
The Bot’s next half chance came in the 36th minute. Pope fired a low ball into the centre which Graham Wilson steered on target but McGarrity got down well to make the block.
Within a minute the Glens were all square. They broke down the right where Lynass sent the ball across the face of goal. DALE MOORE ran onto into beyond the back post & side-footed it on target. Lyle hooked the ball clear but the linesman signalled it had already crossed the line.
Talbot almost regained the lead in their next attack. Glasgow cut in off the left wing & curled a ball over to the back post where McIlroy stretched out his boot to get on it but couldn’t make a clean enough contact to steer it inside the left post.
Shortly before the break Cairns had his name taken for a rugby tackle on Stephen Wilson but there were no further chances and both sides went in locked at the interval.
The 2nd half got off to a sluggish start with neither side making much of an impression early on. In the 53rd minute McCann crumpled theatrically in the box looking for a penalty but all he received was a yellow card.
Talbot managed to exert some pressure and force a string of corners but the Glens rearguard held firm.
In the 61st minute the first changes of the evening were made. The Glens brought on Borris for Lynass & Talbot made a double switch with Shankland replacing McIlroy & Armstrong on for White.
Glenafton could easily have found themselves a man down in the 68th minute. Cairns caught Stephen Wilson late in midfield but having already booked the Glens full-back the ref kept his cards in his pocket.
The Glens completed their changes in the 69th minute with a double substitution. McCann & Moore making way for Dallas & McGill.
Talbot’s next opportunity came from a corner. Shankland rolled it back to Armstrong who in turn teed it up for Stephen Wilson. His low drive was blocked off a defender & spun out right to Shankland who hammered it across goal where it hit off Stephen Wilson at the near post & flew just wide.
In the 73rd minute another Talbot corner saw Shankland’s cross from the left find Pope in space at the back post. He headed it down & back across goal but no Talbot player had anticipated it & the Glens defence were able to clear.
With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot’s pressure & persistence finally paid off. MARK SHANKLAND gathered out on the left & cut in on his right foot before swerving a low cross cum shot across goal. Hyslop & Graham Wilson couldn’t quite reach it but neither could McGarrity & the ball nestled into the bottom corner.
Another goal would have settled matters & Talbot went looking for it. McPherson made a great break out of defence before releasing the ball to Glasgow on the left with Menzies scrambling across to turn it behind for the corner. When the corner came over to the back post Pope got his head to it but sent it just the wrong side of the post.
As the clock ticked down it was apparent that Talbot’s punishing schedule was catching up with them, making for a nervous closing spell for the Bot support. With three minutes to go Stephen Wilson went down with cramp and had to be replaced by McCracken.
With a minute to go Talbot had a scare when McGill swung a dangerous low cross over from the left wing. It skipped off the turf just before it reached Leishman but Andy got his handling spot on & smothered the ball with Dallas waiting to snap up any rebound.
The Bot saw out injury time without any alarms to hold on for a vital win. Now they have it all to do again on Wednesday night when they host Girvan in the league.

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, Hyslop, White, Stephen Wilson, Glasgow, McIlroy, Graham Wilson

Subs – Shankland, Armstrong, McCracken, Faulds, Thomson

Glenafton, McGarrity, McAusland, Cairns, Menzies, McChesney, McKernon, Lynnas, Park, McCann, Andrew, Moore

Subs – Borris, Dallas, McKnight, McGill, Scott

Read more:

Girvan v Auchinleck Talbot

Kilwinning Rangers v Auchinleck Talbot

Photographs by Paul Flynn.


Talbot kept their hopes of the league title alive with a crucial away win over the Buffs in a tense encounter at Abbey Park.
The Bot couldn’t have asked for a better start; taking the lead with only three minutes on the clock.
Lyle forced a corner down the right & when Glasgow swung it across the 6-yard line DWAYNE HYSLOP raced in to bullet a header into the roof of the net.
Talbot’s tails were up & their next attack saw them win a free kick 40 yards from goal. Pope slid it through the left channel to try to pick out the run of McIlroy but it there was just too much on it & it sped out for the goal kick.
Kilwinning nearly levelled the match in the 10th minute when a ball in behind sent Frye clear down the right & he raced into the box before cutting it across goal. Lyle swiped at it but missed the clearance & the ball came to Nisbet whose low drive was pushed onto the right post by Leishman who gathered at the 2nd attempt.
A 2nd goal for Talbot would have given the Bot a healthy cushion & it nearly arrived in the 14th minute. Stephen Wilson made tracks down the right before drilling the ball into the near post where Graham Wilson flicked the ball just over the bar.
The game was toing and froing without either side looking too threatening; with play largely confined to midfield.
In the 34th minute Hanvey picked up what was to be a costly yellow card when he was penalised for a late tackle on Hyslop and a minute later Graham Wilson joined him in the ref’s notebook for a late challenge on McCloskey.
Talbot got themselves into a promising position in the 37th minute when Glasgow raced past Lewis as though he wasn’t there to get free down the left but his final ball was over-hit.
The Bot’s next attack saw Stephen Wilson burst down the right using his pace to get past Pettigrew who did well to recover and concede the corner. Glasgow’s corner came into the near post where Graham Wilson glanced a header across the area that was gathered out on the left by Pope. He swung a cross beyond the back post to Glasgow but his ball back across goal was blocked.
Two minutes before the interval McIlroy stole the ball off Pettigrew & sent it out to the overlapping Stephen Wilson. He whipped a great 1st time cross into the centre that Maitland did well to head away.
In the last minute of the half Talbot had one final chance to grab a 2nd goal. Hyslop was tripped by Maitland right on the edge of the area, resulting in a Bot free kick and a booking for the Buffs centre-half. Graham Wilson took the set piece & his shot clipped the top of the wall & flew over the bar & so Talbot went in one goal to the good at the interval.
The 2nd half was only 3 minutes old when the Buffs were reduced to 10 men. Hanvey tripped Glasgow as he raced up-field & the referee produced a 2nd yellow then red.
Far from hindering Kilwinning, going a man down galvanised them, and from then on it was the home side which made most of the running.
In the 51st minute Frye raced onto a ball down the right of the penalty area. Talbot were looking for offside but it wasn’t given & Frye drilled a shot to the near post which Leishman blocked.
A minute later the Buffs did have the ball in the net but this time the linesman did raise his flag & Nisbet who’d tucked the ball into the bottom corner had his celebrations cut abruptly short when the ref finally noticed the linesman’s flag.
Talbot were going through a sticky spell & the Buffs came close in the 53rd minute. Monti was allowed too much time & space outside the box & he carried it forward before placing a low shot on target that Leishman helped round the left hand post.
Talbot were back on the attack in the 56th minute when Glasgow cut in off the left wing before sending a reverse ball out to McIlroy on the wing. He made for the bye line & drilled a pacey ball across the face of goal but unfortunately there were no takers in the centre.
Kilwinning made a change in the 59th minute with Wardrope coming on in place of Winters.
Hyslop had a half chance in the 62nd minute to put the game beyond doubt. McIlroy won a corner on the right & when the ball came over Stephen Wilson helped the ball across to Hyslop but he didn’t make clean contact with the ball & his shot bobbled straight at the keeper.
Tucker made a change in the 67th minute with Shankland replacing Graham Wilson.
Having survived the earlier flurry of pressure, Talbot saw out the closing twenty minutes of the match without any major alarms, content to sit on their lead and with the Buffs unable to make any headway.
Five minutes from time Tucker made his 2nd switch with McCracken being thrown on up front to replace McIlroy.
In the final minute of regulation time Talbot had a good chance to double their lead. Shankland floated a diagonal ball to send Glasgow racing free down the right & he squared it across the area to find McCracken running in on goal. His 1st touch took him a little wide & as he bore down on goal Wardrope spread himself to block his effort from close range.
A hard earned 3 points for the Bot, who have dug deep to come back from the disappointment of Monday’s loss to Hurlford, winning two away games on the bounce to give themselves a fighting chance of the title. Next up for Talbot it is another away day, with a midweek excursion to the seaside to face Girvan.

Kilwinning Rangers – Wardrope, Coleman, McCloskey, Pettigrew, Maitland, Frye, Monti, Hanvey, Winters, Lewis, Nisbet

Subs – Wardrope, Whyte, McGuinness, Latta

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McPherson, Stephen Wilson, White, Hyslop, McIlroy, G Wilson, Glasgow

Subs – Shankland, Pooler, Armstrong, McCracken, Hewitt

Kilbirnie Ladeside v Auchinleck Talbot

Hurlford United v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot suffered a frustrating loss at Blair Park due in no small part to leaving their shooting boots at home.
The opening spell was very scrappy with the ball careening up & down the pitch at breakneck speed.
The first opening came in the 8th minute when a shy from the right found Stephen Wilson inside the area. He turned away from his marker before toe-poking an effort wide of the right post.
Two minutes later McIlroy had a half chance in the Hurlford box. McPherson nodded the ball into the penalty area to find McIlroy breaking down the left. Sean got his shot away but it was blocked by Fisher & deflected over the bar. Shankland pulled the corner back to the edge of the box where Stephen Wilson curled a shot just over the bar.
Hurlford had barely mustered an attack but they took the lead against the run of play in the 18th minute. McKenzie gathered on the right & swung a cross into the centre which came off the back of the unfortunate CRAIG MCCRACKEN & sailed past Leishman.
Talbot pushed for the equaliser & had an opportunity in the 25th minute when Graham Wilson was obstructed outside the area. Shankland took the set piece but got too much on it & blazed his effort over from 22 yards.
The match should have been level on the half hour mark. Graham Wilson sped down the right past Mikilen & slid it across the face of goal. Shankland looked set to burst the net from 6 yards out but tried to pass it in, allowing Brown the chance to smother it.
The next Bot chance came in the 40th minute. Graham Wilson climbed to meet a ball down the centre & head it into the path of Hyslop whose low drive from 18 yards shaved the right post on its way past.
On the stroke of half time Talbot had another opportunity. Stephen Wilson gathered on the right & chipped the ball inside the area to find McIlroy. He lobbed the ball over the advancing Brown but didn’t get enough on it & the keeper was able to scramble back & retrieve the ball in the goal mouth and so Talbot went in a goal down at the interval despite having dominated proceedings.
Talbot started the 2nd half strongly, pressuring the Hurlford box but to no avail. Pope fired a good cross into the centre but there was no one on the end of it and a shortly after Graham Wilson slid a dangerous ball across goal that went a begging.
McCracken had his name taken in the 56th minute for an aerial challenge on McKenzie; with the Hurlford player milking the incident for all it was worth.
Tucker made his 1st change in the 59th minute when Glasgow came on for Shankland.
Talbot’s next chance came from one of the many corners they won. Glasgow lifted it into the area where Pope headed it just over.
Hurlford did have the ball in the back of the net in the 70th minute but Kean was clearly offside as he bundled Ferguson’s cross home from close range and the linesman was quick to flag.
Tucker now made a further change with Armstrong replacing White in the centre.
Talbot were camped in the Hurlford half but a combination of resolute defending and some poor final balls meant that they couldn’t convert their pressure into clear cut chances and then finally when they did create decent openings, Talbot failed to capitalise.
Hurlford were also doing their best to frustrate Talbot with some blatant time-wasting which went unpunished due to the laxity of the match officials.
In the 79th minute Graham Wilson rose inside the box to flick the ball down into the path of Armstrong but he couldn’t get his shot away and the ball was cleared.
With 5 minutes remaining Talbot missed a couple of chances in quick succession. Graham Wilson sent a ball across goal that came to McIlroy at the back post but he couldn’t force it home. The ball went out to Stephen Wilson who crossed it into the centre where Hyslop met it unopposed but his header from 6 yards crashed off the bar. Hyslop went for the rebound & tried to force it home in a packed goalmouth but the referee took the easy option, intervening to award a free kick to the home side.
The referee could easily have added 5 or 6 minutes on at the end for various lengthy stoppages & treacle slow substitutions but there was to be no Fergie time and a couple of minutes after the 90 he blew up for full-time.
A disappointing result for Talbot who now travel through to Kilbirnie knowing only a win will do if they are to have any realistic tilt at the league title.

Hurlford United – Brown, Fisher, Lidington, Mikilen, G Mitchell, D Mitchell, McKenzie, Watt, Kean, Robertson, Ferguson

Subs – Jenkins, Hodge, Agnew, Whitiker, Caddis

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, McCracken, White, Hyslop, Shankland, G Wilson, McIlroy, S Wilson

Subs – Glasgow, Pooler, Armstrong, Harvey, Faulds

Read more:

Auchinleck Talbot v Arthurlie


Talbot produced an accomplished display to cruise past a toothless Arthurlie side in this one-sided league encounter.
The first chance of the match went the way of the visitors. Harvey conceded a free kick for a foul on MacLennan but McBride made little of the set piece blasting well over from 25 yards.
From there on it was pretty much one-way traffic towards the Arthurlie goal and it was no surprise when Talbot took the lead after 8 minutes. Armstrong fizzed a low ball in from the right that broke into the path of STEPHEN WILSON who fired past Hay to put the Bot one ahead.
A few minutes after giving Talbot the lead, Wilson was caught late by Scanlon who received the first of his cards of the afternoon.
The Bot could have doubled their lead in the 16th minute. Daly ought to have cleared a ball down the right of the area but tried to shepherd it out of play for a goal kick allowing McIlroy to nick in & send it back across the face of goal. It came to Glasgow with his back to goal who wheeled round before firing over the bar from 8 yards.
Two minutes later the woodwork came to the rescue of the beleaguered visitors. Wilson was fouled 25 yards out and Shankland steered his free kick over the wall & wide of the helpless Hay but it came off the right hand post & was booted clear.
The procession of Talbot chances continued in the 22nd minute. Talbot pressure resulted in a succession of corners, from the 2nd of which Hyslop rose to meet Shankland’s cross & head it down back the way it’d come but it bounced wide of target.
Two minutes later the Bot came close again. Glasgow started the move on the left, switching it across to Lyle on the opposite wing and when the ball came back across the area Glasgow’s side-footed effort looked destined for goal but unfortunately it was inadvertently blocked en route by McIlroy.
For all Talbot’s dominance it could have been all level in the 27th minute when hesitant defending allowed Roulston the time & space to run onto a loose ball just inside the area & his low drive was deflected just past Leishman’s left post.
Talbot were soon back on the ascendancy and won a free kick within striking distance when Glasgow was shoved in the back. Shankland took it & struck a low shot wide of the wall that Hay pushed around his post.
Hyslop met the resultant corner & powered a header on target that Hay parried to safety.
The Bot threatened the Lie goal again on the half mark from another corner. Shankland lifted it into the near post where Armstrong floated a header goal ward with Hay forced to backpedal to tip it over the bar.
Leishman had been spectating for the most part but had to look smart in the 33rd minute when Lyle was a touch short with a passback; racing off his line to beat Marks to the ball & taking a knock in the process.
Talbot’s 2nd goal duly arrived in the 38th minute from a set piece. Scanlon conceded a free kick for a foul on Glasgow & Pope bent an in swinger over from the right that SEAN MCILROY took on his chest before placing a low shot past Hay to make it 2-0.
Scanlon’s afternoon came to an abrupt end in the 42nd minute when he received a 2nd yellow & an early bath for clipping the heels of Stephen Wilson as he raced forward.
The final action of the half saw Armstrong square the ball across to Pope who teed it up for Harvey & he hammered a shot just over the bar.
Two goals adrift & a man down, it was no surprise that Arthurlie made a change at the break, with McGoldrick entering the fray for a cameo appearance.
The 2nd half continued in the same vein as the 1st with Talbot on the front foot and the Lie defence were stretched again two minutes after the re-start. A good Bot move ended with Armstrong sliding the ball through to the overlapping Lyle & his dangerous cross into the centre was headed behind by Daly.
Talbot kept the pressure up & nearly added to their lead soon after from one of the many corners they forced throughout the 90. Shankland pulled the corner back to the unmarked Lyle & Hay did well to touch his chip over the crossbar.
The game was effectively over in the 51st minute when Talbot added a 3rd goal. McIlroy gathered down the left & held it up before releasing Pope into the area. He lifted a cross to the back post where Glasgow’s volley crashed back off the bar & DWAYNE HYSLOP reacted first to force it home from close range.
A minute later & Glasgow had an opportunity to put Talbot further ahead. He got free down the right but drilled his shot into the side-netting from a tight angle.
Hay prevented Stephen Wilson from adding to Talbot’s lead in the 55th minute. An Arthurlie corner saw Talbot race to the other end when Shankland sent Glasgow racing away on the counter. He fed the ball through to Wilson who nutmegged Daly to go through on Hay but the Lie keeper was quickly off his line to spread himself & make a good stop to block Wilson’s shot.
Tucker made a double switch in the 59th minute with Graham Wilson & McCracken coming on for McIlroy & Hyslop.
McCracken came close to adding to Talbot’s tally in the 62nd minute when he ran onto Shankland’s corner from the right but directed his header just wide of Hay’s left post.
Athurlie’s Herculean task became mission impossible within the space of a couple of minutes. McGoldrick was booked for a shirt tug on Stephen Wilson in the 65th minute & before the ref’s ink was dry in his notebook he received a 2nd yellow for a late challenge on Stephen Wilson, reducing the visitors to 9 men.
Talbot’s 4th goal came in the 73rd minute from their umpteenth corner. Shankland took a corner from the left & angled it back to find STEPHEN WILSON in space at the edge of the area & he curled a beauty past Hay inside the left post.
Tucker now made his final change with young Logan Campbell making his 1st team debut when he came on for Glasgow.
Shankland tested the Lie keeper in the 76th minute when he fired a shot from the left across goal that Hay touched past his far post.
Two minutes later Pope joined the attack to drive a shot just over the bar from 20 yards.
Talbot kept the momentum going & nearly added to their lead in the 81st minute. Pope sent Shankland scampering clear down the left & he fired it low across the area to Graham Wilson. It broke off him & came to Campbell who fired a shot at Hay.
The Bot came close twice more in the closing stages to aiding their goal difference. Firstly in the 85th minute when Graham Wilson met a cross from the left only to see his header fly off the crossbar before being cleared and then a few minutes later when Shankland pulled the ball back to Pope whose fierce drive was tipped over the bar.
This was a good win for Talbot who now travel through to Hurlford on Monday night on league duties in a game given added spice by the impending showdown at the end of May.

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McPherson, Stephen Wilson, Hyslop, Armstrong, McIlroy, Shankland, Glasgow

Subs – Graham Wilson, Campbell, White, McLuckie, McCracken

Arthurlie – Hay, Burns, McBride, Buchanan, Bohme, Scanlon, Roulston, Lyon, Marks, Daly, Maclennan

Subs – McKenzie, O’Halloran, Wilson, McGoldrick, Mohamed

Photographs by Paul Flynn.


Clydebank v Auchinleck Talbot

Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Report by Murray Steele

All good things must come to an end & Talbot’s unbeaten start to 2018 came to a grinding halt as they lost 3-1 to a Clydebank in a match where Talbot paid the price for failing to put away numerous chances in the 1st half.
The game started as well as could be expected with Talbot carving out the 1st clear opening in the 8th minute. Hyslop found Steven Wilson on the overlap & Shankland met his cross 6 yards out but steered his header straight at Lumsden.
A minute later Talbot took the lead. McIlroy burst down the left & lifted a cross to the back post where Hyslop guided a free header home to make it 1-0.
Talbot nearly doubled their lead in the 14th minute. Hyslop’s pass sent Graham Wilson free on the left & he carried on into the area before lifting a shot over Lumsden. It smacked off the face of the bar & came out to McIlroy but he was closed down before he could tuck the rebound home & his low drive was blocked. The ball broke out to Steven Wilson & he fired over the bar from 15 yards.
Two minutes later Pope was unfortunate not to add to Talbot’s lead. Shankland’s corner from the right came to him 10 yards out & he took it on the half volley drilling a shot inches wide of the left hand upright.
It was all Talbot & the next chance came to McIlroy. Pope bent a good ball down the left to find him inside the area but he got his angles wrong & shot wide of the right post.
Pope then tried his luck from distance, shooting just wide of the left post from 35 yards after Steven Wilson squared the ball to him.
Talbot’s next effort at goal came in the 25th minute. Graham Wilson fed the ball back to Pope who slung a dangerous cross over that the Bankies defence failed to clear. It came out to Shankland at the edge of the area & he volleyed it on target but straight at the keeper who turned it over the bar.
When the corner came over Pope arrowed a header on target that had the keeper well-beaten but a defender was on hand to clear it off the line. The Bankies couldn’t clear their lines & the ball came to Graham Wilson on the left. He went for precision rather than power, attempting to pass it into the net & Lumsden got down to his left to touch it away.
Hyslop picked up the 1st caution of the afternoon when he was penalised for a late challenge on Paterson.
Clydebank’s 1st close call came in the 32nd minute. McClair passed it inside to Higgins & he fired just over the bar from the edge of the area.
As the weather deteriorated so did the match itself with play becoming scrappy & confined to the middle third.
With half time approaching Talbot had two further chances to put some daylight between themselves & the Bankies. Firstly, McIlroy teed it up for Steven Wilson deep inside the penalty area but he blasted his shot off Paterson & the referee dismissed Talbot’s shouts that it had struck the defender’s arm.
Talbot’s final chance came two minutes before the interval. Forsyth fouled Shankland 30 yards out & Shankland took the setpiece himself; firing it over the wall & a whisker wide of the right post, and so for all their dominance Talbot left the field only a goal to the good.
The 2nd half was only a minute old when Talbot were given a warning of what was to come. Lyle was caught out by a ball down the left & Higgins was able to make tracks down the left before firing a shot well wide of goal.
Action then switched to the other end where Steven Wilson’s ball down the line found the run of McIlroy. He whipped a good early cross into the goal mouth where Graham Wilson was lurking but the Bankies defended it well.
The game was all square in the 50th minute thanks to a wonder strike. HIGGINS cut in off the left & curled an inch perfect shot into the top left corner giving Leishman no chance.
Talbot tried to respond swiftly & had a golden chance to regain the lead within a minute. Graham Wilson sent Shankland through on the left & he cut inside before trying to slide the ball low past the keeper. Lumsden dived low to block it but it still was floating into the net until a Bankies defender raced back to head it off the line.
This proved a turning point as the Bankies then went down the other end and took the lead. It was a poor goal to lose from a Talbot point of view. DEAS being allowed to gather unchallenged midway inside the Bot half & carry the ball forward before firing a low drive that seemed to head inside the right post in slow motion.
Once again Talbot took the game to the Bankies & went looking for an immediate riposte. Hyslop’s volley from 12 yards flying on target but too near the keeper who was able to parry it away.
Steven Wilson squandered a decent chance in the 59th minute. Shankland did well on the left & pulled it back for Wilson to run onto unchallenged at the edge of the box but he ballooned his shot high over.
It was game over in the 61st minute when Talbot conceded for the 3rd time. Leishman misjudged a ball down the left channel, racing off his line to come for it & HIGGINS took full advantage, lobbing the ball over him & inside the far post.
Tucker made a double substitution in the 67th minute with Glasgow on for Shankland down the left & Faulds replacing White in the centre.
Talbot huffed & puffed in the closing 20 minutes but the damage had already been done & they were unable to find a way back into the match with the Bankies dropping deep to defend their lead.
A sore one to take but onwards and upwards & now Talbot’s focus switches back to the cups as they start a run of 4 consecutive cup ties with the visit of St Roch’s to Beechwood in the West of Scotland.

Clydebank – Lumsden, Vezza, Paterson, Pearson, Darroch, Forsyth, McClair, Deas, Shelvey, Higgins, Cunningham

Subs – Watt, McLean, McAnespie, Morrison

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, S Wilson, Hyslop, White, G Wilson, McIlroy, Shankland

Subs- Glasgow, Armstrong, Thomson, Faulds, McCracken

Read more: