Auchinleck Talbot v Lanark United

Man of the Match – Bryan Boylan


Talbot players head up to receive their winning medals.


Andy Leishman gets presented with the League Cup trophy.


Andy lifts the trophy, as his team-mates celebrate.


League Cup Winners 2019 – Auchinleck Talbot FC


Smile for the camera ‘Shankers’.


Some of the winning goalscorers pose with the trophy.


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 1 (Bryan Boylan)


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 2 (Gareth Armstrong)


Lanark United Goal


Lanark United Goal (Continued)


Talbot get awarded a penalty via this foul, very early in the second half.


The Lanark players let their feelings known after Talbot gets given a penalty.


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 3 (Mark Shankland, penalty)


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 4 (Bryan Boylan)


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 4 Celebration


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 5 (Jack McDowell)


Auchinleck Talbot Goal 6 (Craig McCracken)


Lanark are reduced to ten men.


A bad injury for one of the Lanark players.


Talbot mascot for the day, Jake Drummond, walks out with the teams before kick-off.


Mark keeps his eye on the ball.


‘Big Jack’ does his best to win the ball.


Jamie Glasgow fires the ball low into the Lanark box.


McCracken has a go at goal with a strong header but…


…the ball gets stopped on the line by the Lanark defence.


A midfield tussle for the ball.


No way through here for the boys in blue.


He’s behind you mark.


The defender cuts out the pass before it lands to Jamie.


Talbot have a dig from the edge of the box.


‘Big Neily’ clears the danger.


Gareth ducks, as Leishman punches the ball away.


An unfortunate slip, as you’re about to pull the trigger.


A hefty challenge from the players in front of the bumper cup final crowd.


Hamish shouts for the ball but Jack decides to have a go himself, to no prevail.


Graham’s shot gets blocked inside the box.


Hamish does his best to get the ball back for Talbot.




Talbot claimed the first silverware of the season in emphatic style; living up to their billing as favourites with a thumping 6-1 win over Lanark United.

Lanark couldn’t have made a worst start as they conceded the softest of goals within 3 minutes of kick off. Young pinged a ball up the right for Glasgow to chase. Johnson raced out his area to clear but made a complete hash of it, knocking the ball straight into the feet of BRYAN BOYLAN who passed it into the empty net to put Talbot ahead.

With 9 minutes gone Talbot had a great chance to double their lead. Healey won the ball in midfield before feeding it on to Glasgow. He in turn slid a pass through the defence to release McDowall through on goal & he steered a shot just wide of the right post from the edge of the area.

McDowall had another opportunity in the 17th minute as Talbot cut open the Lanark defence. Shankland released Boylan down the left & his cutback found McDowall in space 15 yards out but he opted to take a touch & was closed down before he could get his shot away.

The Bot’s next goal threat came in the 22nd minute. Aiden Wilson slotted a pass through to find Glasgow racing clear down the left and his angled drive took a slight deflection on its way just wide of the far post. When the resultant corner came over McCracken steered a header on target that Johnson parried at his right post.

Lanark hadn’t offered much of a threat but reminded Talbot they were in a contest in the 26th minute. They won a free kick out on the right which was flighted into the centre where it was headed clear. It came out to Martin on the edge of the box & his powerful drive was heading on target but was blocked en route by a wall of bodies.

A one goal lead was scant reward for Talbot’s early dominance but another howler from the keeper saw Talbot double their advantage in the 28th minute. Aiden Wilson played it to Shankland on the left & he cut back onto his right foot before crossing into the centre. It skipped off a defender’s head & floated back toward goal where a static Johnson was out-jumped on the goal line by GARETH ARMSTRONG who nodded in Talbot’s second.

It now looked like a question of how many for Talbot & the Bot had two opportunities in quick succession. Shankland’s quickly taken throw in found Boylan racing free on the left. He might have hit it but tried to square it to the unmarked Glasgow only for Haddow to intercept & slide it behind.

Shortly after Shankland chested the ball down into the path of Glasgow on the left and he lifted over a superb cross that landed at the feet of McDowall who flashed a low drive just past the left post.

Just when it looked like Talbot were in complete control Lanark were thrown a lifeline with a wonderful individual effort to reduce the deficit in the 34th minute. O’DONNELL beat Healey to it in the centre, knocked it past Armstrong & rushed forward before crashing an unstoppable shot past Leishman from 30+ yards that flew inside the left post.

The goal galvanised Lanark who for the first time pushed bodies forward and exerted some pressure in the Talbot half but all they had to show for it was a half chance for Martin on the left of the area when a free kick found its way through to him but he fired well wide of target.

A minute later Talbot nearly restored their two goal lead. Aiden Wilson won the ball inside the Lanark half & it broke forward into the path of Glasgow who surged forward before drilling a low shot from distance just wide of the right hand post.
The closing stages of the 1st half were pretty even with neither side able to produce a telling moment in the final third and the sides trooping off at the interval with Talbot a goal ahead.

Lanark must have entertained hopes of making a game of it when play re-commenced but within a minute of the restart Talbot extended their lead without Lanark touching the ball. Right from kick off Talbot pushed forward into the Lanark half & Armstrong shoved a pass into the box toward Healey. He was unceremoniously bundled over by Watt leaving the ref with the easy decision to point to the spot. Stonewaller that it was, this didn’t prevent both Watt & Lawson from talking their way into the book disputing the award before MARK SHANKLAND slotted the ball low inside the keeper’s right post to make it 3-1.

A couple of minutes later Talbot had another chance to test the visitors defence. Shankland nearly got a free haircut courtesy of a raised boot resulting in a Bot free-kick out on the stand side. Shankland whipped over a tremendous delivery & Young got his head to it but couldn’t direct his header on target.

Lanark had a rare chance in the 51st minute. Kerr turned smartly on the left of the area & drilled a low shot across goal that Leishman held.

The game was then held up for a lengthy stoppage when Watt was injured in a 50/50 challenge with Aiden Wilson. The Lanark man took a sore one & initially fans of both sides feared the worst but fortunately after treatment he was able to hobble to his feet & left the fray to be replaced by McHugh.

By the time play restarted an hour had gone and Talbot came within a whisker of adding to their tally. A shy from the right came across to Healey and from 20 yards out he cracked a shot off the right hand post with the keeper well beaten.

The next effort on target came after 68 minutes. McDowall pinged a diagonal ball to find Boylan on the left & he was carried it forward before firing a shot from 20 yards that Johnson held.

The game was ended as a contest in the 73rd minute when Talbot moved 4-1 ahead. Shankland switched play from left to right to find McDowall & he touched it on into the path of BRYAN BOYLAN who drilled a low shot back across & into the opposite corner.

Tucker now made a double switch with Glasgow & Shankland making way for Pearson & Graham Wilson.

O’Donnell picked up what was to prove a costly yellow card in the 75th minute for a late challenge. Talbot now completed their substitutions with McKinlay coming on for Boylan.

With 12 minutes remaining Talbot passed up a chance to extend their lead. McKinlay’ slide rule pass sent Healey clean through on goal but he mis-hit his shot & sent it well wide.

In the 81st minute Haddow joined the growing Lanark crime count when he was cautioned for up-ending Graham Wilson as he surged down the right.

Talbot were now in total control and breached the Lanark defence in the 82nd minute. McDowall touched the ball inside to send McKinlay racing through on goal but he squeezed his shot wide of target under pressure..

Lanark now made a further change with Conlon on in place of Hill.

With five minutes remaining Talbot made it 5-1. Healey spread the ball out left to JACK MCDOWALL who nutmegged Fraser before angling into the box & firing a low shot past Johnson at his near post.

Things went from bad to worse for Lanark when they were reduced to 10 men late on. O’Donnell was already on a caution when he caught Armstrong with a late challenge. The referee duly produced a 2nd yellow then a red and McDowall had his name taken for his angry reaction to the challenge.

With two minutes remaining Talbot completed the scoring and sealed their win with a sixth goal. The Bot won a free kick out on the right which Healey lobbed toward the back post. Johnson came to claim it but missed it & CRAIG MCCRACKEN was lurking at the back post to turn it home from close range.

A good win for the Bot in front of a healthy home gate bolstered by a large travelling contingent through from Lanark. Next up for the Bot it is back to cup action where Talbot will face a much sterner test as they lock horns with big spending Cove Rangers who currently top Division 2 of the SPL.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Young, Aiden Wilson, McPherson, McCracken, Armstrong, Healey, Shankland, Boylan, Glasgow, McDowall

Subs – Graham Wilson, Pearson, McKinlay, Samson, White

Lanark United – Johnson, Fraser, Gracie, Haddow, Lawson, Lindsay, Watt, O’Donnell, Hill, Kerr, Martin

Subs – Conlon, McHugh, Harrison, Hamilton, McGraw

Read more:

Beith Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot


Talbot advanced to the first final of the season courtesy of a hard fought away win over Beith.

The Bot made an uphill battle of shooting down the slope in a forgettable first half where the physios were kept busier than either keeper.

It was Beith who had the best of it in the 1st period & Bradley had the first effort at goal in the 10th minute when he fired a shot across goal & wide of Leishman’s right post.

Four minutes later Beith were back on the attack. A ball down the left found McIlroy just inside the area & he pulled a shot across goal & past the left post.

The home side had a decent chance in the 19th minute. Beith won a free kick inside their own half which Milliken lifted over to the far side. The Bot defence failed to cut it out & the ball came to Green in space on the right side of the penalty area but he slashed his shot wide from a good area.

Beith were forced into an early change after 24 minutes when Ramsay limped off to be replaced by Fisher.

A calculator would’ve been required to tally up all the free kicks the referee was awarding Beith & he granted them a particularly soft one in the 28th minute just outside the Talbot box. McGlinchey curled it over the wall & Leishman had to be on his toes to push it past the left post.

Then nothing very much happened, barring more free kicks & theatrics from Beith, until the closing minutes of the half when Talbot suddenly came alive.

A bout of heady tennis ended with Hyslop nodding the ball on into the path of McDowall & he drilled a low shot just past White’s right post from 25 yards.

Two minutes from the break Talbot nearly took the lead. A shy from the right found Glasgow who in turn passed it to Hyslop inside the area. He rolled it to his right where Stephen Wilson was in space & his angled shot was destined for the bottom corner until Milliken made an impressive goal line clearance to ensure the sides went in level.

The Bot made a change during the break with Stephen Wilson off and Corey Pearson on in his place.

Talbot had an early chance when Young surged forward from defence and played in Glasgow down the left. He lifted a cross over to the far side of the 6-yard box where Pearson volleyed well wide of target under pressure.

In the 49th minute Beith took the lead. Christie created it, haring down the right before cutting a low ball across the face of goal where MCILROY bundled it home from inside the 6-yard area.

Talbot responded positively to falling behind and came close to a leveller within a couple of minutes. Aiden Wilson floated a ball over from the left that Hyslop challenged for in the air. The ball broke to Pearson just outside the area & he fired a shot just past the right hand post.

The Beith defence were posted missing a minute later when Talbot grabbed the equaliser. Hyslop headed the ball on down the middle & JAMIE GLASGOW raced onto it past the static defence before drilling a low shot inside White’s right post to make it 1-1 in the 52nd minute.

Two minutes later the Bot almost went ahead. Hyslop’s pass to Glasgow was blocked at full stretch by a defender who knocked the ball straight into the path of Pearson who hammered an effort just wide of the left post.

The referee had to reach into his pocket soon after following an altercation between Glasgow & Green that saw both of them cautioned.

Beith’s main danger was Christie & the winger caused the Bot defence problems in the 61st minute when he picked it up midway inside the Bot half before driving into the box & hitting a powerful shot straight at Leishman.

Within a couple of minutes Pearson also had his name taken for a late challenge as the Bot conceded a free kick just outside their own area. McGlinchey took it & his effort clipped the wall before flying just past the left post.

In Talbot’s next attack Glasgow nearly raced clean through the centre of the home defence again but this time Milliken came good with a sliding tackle to deny him.

Talbot threatened the Beith goal twice in a row in the 67th minute. Glasgow capitalised on a defensive error to play in Pearson who burst through on the keeper; however, White stood his ground & Pearson went for power with the keeper able to parry it away. The rebound fell to Glasgow & his shot sailed past the stranded keeper only for Docherty to defy him with a goal line clearance.

White prevented Talbot from moving ahead in the 71st minute with a superb reflex stop. Lyle lifted it up the line to Glasgow who quickly fed it on to McKinlay on the right of the area & his shot was flying inside the left post til White dived to turn it past.

Beith’s defence was looking shaky and the home side conceded a penalty in the 74th minute. McPherson pinged a ball over the defence to find Glasgow breaking into the penalty area. He looked to cut in past Docherty who lost his footing & then prevented Glasgow knocking it past him by using his arm; resulting in a Bot spot kick and a booking for the defender. Glasgow took it but fired it more or less straight down the centre & White was able to save.

Having been well on top for awhile Talbot could have paid a price for failing to take their chances when Beith nearly regained the lead in the 77th minute. Hyslop lost the ball to Bradley who raced clear on the left before firing a dangerous ball into the near post that Lyle managed to clear.

A minute later Talbot had another close call down the other wing when Christie got away from Aiden Wilson & whipped a cross into the centre which McIlroy missed in front of goal.

Tucker now made a double switch up front with Graham Wilson & Shankland providing the fresh legs in place of McKinlay & Glasgow.

Pearson came close to breaking the deadlock in the 83rd minute when he gathered in space 30 yards out & drove forward before cracking a shot just wide of the left post.

Play was now switching from end to end with both sides looking for a late winner as the prospect of a penalty shoot-out loomed ever nearer. With a minute remaining of regulation time McIlroy had his name taken when he clipped the heels of a Bot defender.

AJust when it seemed penalties were inevitable Talbot popped up with an injury time winner. Graham Wilson played it up the right to find Shankland just outside the area. He squared it inside to find Healy whose shot was blocked but it spun back out to MARK SHANKLAND on the right of the area & he kept a cool head to steer a low shot across White & inside the right post to seal the win for Talbot.

Next up for Talbot it is back to cup duties as they travel through to the east to face Camelon in the 2nd preliminary round of the William Hill Scottish cup this Saturday.

Beith Juniors – White, McGlinchey, Milliken, Docherty, Green, Wilson, Christie, Frize, McIlroy, Ramsay, Bradley

Subs – Haggarty, Fisher, McMahon, McKenzie, McQueen

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Aiden Wilson, Young, McPherson, Hyslop, Healy, Stephen Wilson, McKinlay, Glasgow, McDowall

Subs – Shankland, Graham Wilson, Pearson, Armstrong, Pope

Read more:

Auchinleck Talbot v Whitletts Victoria


Talbot’s hot streak in front of goal continued as they eased to a 6-0 win over Whitletts Vics in this sectional cup quarter-final tie.

Talbot started slowly and it was the visitors who had the first chance of the afternoon in the 5th minute. Cunningham met a corner over from the right but directed his header wide of the right post.

Down the other end Talbot won a free kick in a useful area following a barge on Shankland who took the set piece himself; firing into the wall from 20 yards out. The ball rebounded out to Healy who blazed well over.

The opening goal came in the 13th minute. Young took a quick free kick inside his own half to release it to Lyle on the wing. He played it up the line to find Shankland whose low ball across goal was turned behind by Miller at the far post. When Shankland flighted the corner over Barclay flapped at it & only succeeded in pushing the ball out to HAMISH MCKINLAY who crashed a shot home from 15 yards.

The Bot had a chance to extend their lead in the 17th minute. McKinlay cut in off the right & played it across to Shankland. He in turn fed it out to Glasgow who returned the ball back into Shankland’s path but he shot straight at the keeper.

Findlay received a caution in the 19th minute for a late challenge out on the left touchline.

Talbot moved two ahead in the 22nd minute. Whitletts managed to clear away a Shankland corner but when the ball was lobbed back into the area it fell to DILLON YOUNG in acres of space & with the Vics defence looking in vain for offside he fired low past Barclay.

Glasgow came close to grabbing Talbot’s 3rd in the 28th minute. Shankland chested the ball down into his path & he hared through the centre leaving defenders in his wake before clipping a shot just wide of the right post.

McKinlay had a great chance to grab his 2nd of the afternoon in the 33rd minute. He timed his run to perfection to latch onto a ball down the left & race clean through into the box but he drilled a shot straight at Barclay.

Two minutes later though Talbot did grab their third. McKinlay surged past Miller, who had a couple of nibbles at him, but the ref gave a good advantage and waved play on. He found Pope who in turn played it up the line to Glasgow and when he swept a cross over Barclay made a hash of it; dropping the ball into the feet of MARK SHANKLAND who turned it home at the back post to complete the 1st half scoring.

There were no changes during the interval but it didn’t take Tucker long to make a double switch after the re-start; Graham Wilson & Keir Samson coming on up top for Glasgow & Shankland in the 51st minute.

Within two minutes of entering the fray GRAHAM WILSON made it 4-0 to Talbot. The Bot won a free kick 20 yards from goal for Kerr’s shove on McKinlay and he fired it past the wall and inside the right post.

Whitletts now made their own double substitution with Ewart & Reid on for Brown & Anderson.

Vics came close to pulling a goal back on the hour mark. Reid bent a good ball up the right channel to find Donovan & he hit a 1st time shot just wide of the left post.

Encouraged by this Whitletts then put together a neat move that ended with Donovan firing on target from the edge of the area that Leishman parried then gathered at the 2nd attempt.

In the 64th minute Whitletts made their final change when Davidson replaced Dinwoodie.

Talbot made their third and final change two minutes later with White replacing Hyslop in midfield.

Talbot’s next attack saw McKinlay combine well with Samson down the left before Samson fired a good low ball across goal that Barclay did well to cut out.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot made it 5-0 following a period of concerted pressure. A corner from the right was met by the unmarked GORDON POPE who floated a header across goal and inside the right post.

The game was long gone but Davidson came close to a consolation effort when he let fly from 25 yards; only to see his shot fly wide of the left post.

In the 81st minute McDowall whipped over a dangerous ball from the right touchline that Barclay cut out with White waiting to pounce to tap home.

Talbot completed the scoring in the 85th minute. A free kick was taken quickly into McKinlay on the right of the area. His shot was blocked but it spun across to KEIR SAMSON in space on the left & he squeezed a shot under Barclay to make it 6-0 to the Bot.

A comfortable afternoon for the Bot and this win now sees Talbot travel through to face Beith and the Bellsdale ski slope in Wednesday’s semi-final.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Aiden Wilson, Young, Hyslop, Healy, McDowall, Glasgow, Shankland, McKinlay

Subs – Graham Wilson, Samson, Stephen Wilson, Armstrong, White

Whitletts Victoria – Barclay, Findlay, Miller, Isaac Kerr, Brown, Cunningham, Lewis Kerr, Boyd, Dinwoodie, Donovan, Anderson

Subs – Ogston, McColgan, Ewart, Davidson, Reid

Read more:

Auchinleck Talbot v Kello Rovers

Talbot eased into the quarter finals of the Sectional League Cup with a 3-0 win which could have been a whole lot more if not for the heriocs of Dunsmuir in the Kello goals. As early as the sixth minute he tipped a Jack McDowall header over the bar and on the 20th minute he made a superb point blank save from Jamie Glasgow. Five minutes later he denied Keiran Healy twice when he made another close contact save before blocking the rebound. However Talbot took the lead a minute later when a Glasgow corner was met by the head of the unmarked Dwayne Hyslop who powered the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-0. On the half hour mark it was 2-0 after Glasgow was fouled just outside the box and a raker of a free kick by Pope flew through the Kello wall and although Dunsmuir did enough tp beat the ball out, Hamish McKinlay was first to react to the loose ball and swept the ball into the net. With the game heading for the interval Hyslop was unlucky to see his screamer of a shot cannon off the post with the keeper beaten.

Stephen Wilson replaced Hyslop before the start of the second half and was involved in Talbot’s third goal when he turned the visiting defence in the box and set up Jamie Glasgow who made no mistake from eight yards out. Talbot were rarely troubled in the match and their domination continued throughout the remainder of the game. The Kello keeper denied McDowall and Corey Pearson in the space of a couple of minutes, and with ten minutes left on the clock McDowall was denied again by the keeper and soon after a cheeky back heel by Samson was cleared off the line. It was a convincing win with some great performances from the new boys.


Darvel Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Hurlford United v Auchinleck Talbot

Auchinleck Talbot v Glenafton Athletic

Talbot’s fans were happy when it rains as the Bot opened their campaign with a derby demolition of local rivals Glenafton.

Before kick off the fans had a chance to show their appreciation to two Bot legends, Jimmy McMillan & Gavin Collins who were applauded onto the park before later being inducted into the hall of fame before it was down to business.

The opening exchanges were fairly even with both sides testing the opposing defence without being able to work the goal keepers. The visitors had a penalty shout in the 6th minute when Moore floated a cross over from the left. McCann crumpled to the deck as the ball sailed over him but the ref wasn’t interested.

The breakthrough came in the 17th minute. Graham Wilson slid the ball out right to find Glasgow & he burst up the wing before slinging a dangerous cross into the centre. Stephen Wilson looked set to touch it home but was nudged in the back & the ref pointed to the spot. GORDON POPE took it & sent McGarrity the wrong way as he rolled it into the bottom corner.

Two minutes later Talbot were back on the attack. McIntyre shrugged off a couple of challenges before releasing a pass to Armstrong in the centre. He fed it out to McDowall on the right who cut inside only to see his shot blocked by a defender.

The Glens threatened down Talbot’s right in the 20th minute. Gallagher released Park down the flank & pulled it back across the area where McDowall knocked it behind for a corner.

In the 24th minute action swiftly switched from one end to the other. Down the Coal Road end McAusland whipped a dangerous low ball in that Stephen Wilson did well to cut out at the near post. Talbot then raced up field where Graham Wilson sent Glasgow racing free down the left & continued his run to meet Glasgow’s cut back inside the area but his side-foot shot went straight at McGarrity.

A minute later it was Leishman to the rescue. The ball came to Moore in acres of space on the left of the penalty area and he looked set to score but his low drive was brilliantly kept out by Leishman who saved with his feet at his right post.

Talbot had a penalty appeal denied in the 27th minute. The Bot won a free kick 30 yards out when McChesney wrestled Glasgow to the turf. Pope took it but with everyone anticipating a shot he angled a pass out to Glasgow on the left of the box. He checked inside onto his right foot & went down under McAusland’s sliding tackle but the referee waved play on.

McGarrity prevented Talbot from extending their lead soon after. McDowall gathered on the right, a few yards in from the bye line, and powered a shot across goal that McGarrity parried clear in the centre.

The Glens were forced into a change in the 33rd minute when Cairns limped off to be replaced by Orsi.

Glasgow spurned a clear chance to double Talbot’s lead in the 38th minute. The Glens defence were opened up when Glasgow dummied a ball through the centre and raced past the flat-footed central defence; however he tried to pass it beyond the advancing McGarrity who dived to his right to make the stop.

There was plenty of endeavour but no further near misses as the half wound to a close and Talbot left the field a goal ahead at the break.

Talbot couldn’t have asked for a better start to the 2nd half as the Glens conceded a 2nd penalty in the 52nd min. Stephen Wilson chipped the ball toward Glasgow inside the area but it was blocked en route by the arm of Menzies. The ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and once again GORDON POPE made no mistake, tucking it away inside the left post to put Talbot 2-0 ahead.

A few minutes later McGarrity had a lucky escape when he was too casual with a clearance. He tried to pass it up field when fielding a back pass but Glasgow read it & managed to block only for it to spin wide.

In the 57th min the Glens made their 2nd change when Nisbet replaced McCann up front.

The Glens now had their best spell of the match as they pushed Talbot back. In the 62nd min Andrew turned smartly outside the Talbot area & fired a shot on target but it went straight at Leishman.

McAusland had his name taken in the 65th minute for a late challenge on Lyle and Talbot also made a double substitution with McIntyre & Glasgow making way for McKinlay & Shankland.

A minute later Leishman made his 2nd top class save of the afternoon. Andrew won the ball midway inside the Bot half & slid a defence splitting pass through to Park. He raced clear but was denied by Leishman who’d raced to the edge of his area where he made the block.

Park tested Leishman again in the 68th minute. The Glens broke up the right where Moore flighted a cross over to the far post. Park ran onto it and Leishman turned his half-volley over the bar.

With 71 mins gone Menzies became the 2nd Glens name in the book when he was cautioned for a late challenge on McDowall.

It was game over in the 72nd minute when Talbot grabbed their third. There looked to be a foul on Graham Wilson in the build up by Orsi but the ref let play continue and the ball came to Shankland on the left edge of the area where he proceeded to waltz past several defenders before attempting to chip McGarrity. The keeper tipped it out but HAMISH MCKINLAY was on hand to tuck the rebound home from close range.

Tucker completed his changes with quarter of an hour remaining when Healy replaced Stephen Wilson.

With 10 minutes remaining Talbot had a chance to extend their lead. Armstrong intercepted the ball inside the Glens half and knocked it to Graham Wilson. He spotted McKinlay in space to his right & squared the ball to send him through one on one with the keeper. McKinlay attempted to lob McGarrity as he advanced to the edge of the area but didn’t catch it right & plunked the ball straight at the keeper.

Talbot kept pushing to the end and were rewarded with a fourth goal deep in injury time. McKinlay had an opportunity to shoot on the right of the area but hesitated and was closed down. He managed to shove the ball across the area where MARK SHANKLAND curled a right foot shot into the roof of the net to make the final score 4-0.

It’s a short break for Talbot as they return to action on Monday night when they travel to Blair Park to face Hurlford.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle,Pope, Aiden Wilson, Young, Armstrong, Stephen Wilson, McIntyre, Graham Wilson, Glasgow, McDowall

Subs – Shankland, Samson, Healy, Pearson, McKinlay

Glenafton Athletic – McGarrity, McAusland, Cairns, Menzies, McChesney, Park, Gallagher, Marlowe, McCann, Andrew, Moore

Subs – Orsi, Nisbet, Potter, Burns (gk)

Read more:


Jamie Glasgow squanders a great chance for Talbot early in the first half.


Stephen Wilson breaks free and races into the Glen’s box.


Glasgow vents his frustration at the linesman.


Gareth Armstrong gets involved in a wee tussle with Ally Park.


Lyle makes sure there is no way through for Glenafton.


Talbot take the lead from the spot, as Gordon Pope fires the ball home. 1-0.


‘Popey’ wheels away after netting the opener.


The Talbot bench look on, as Talbot try to keep hold of the ball.


‘Gee’ can only watch, as his chance gets gathered up by McGarrity.


A couple of points gets raised between these Glenafton players.


Jack McDowell muscles his way up the wing.


Up steps Gordon again and he doubles Talbot’s lead from the spot. 2-0.


Pope seals the goal with a kiss, as he celebrates scoring his and Talbot’s second.


Jamie races down the wing and fires in a low cross.


Andy Leishman pulls off a tremendous save to tip the ball over the crossbar.


Jack McDowell tries to fire the ball down the middle of the park.


It’s three-sy for Talbot, as Hamish McKinley slots home number three. 3-0.


Hamish and Graham race away to celebrate Talbot’s third goal.


It’s all smiles for Talbot, as everybody races to congratulate Hamish.


Stephen Wilson tries his luck from inside the box.


‘Shankers’ laps up the applause after smashing home Talbot’s fourth. 4-0.



Auchinleck Talbot v Lesmahagow Juniors

Talbot claimed the 1st silverware of the season with a comprehensive win over a game but out-classed Lesmahagow.
Lesmahagow started the game at a frantic pace, buzzing around the Bot half as though on fast forward and they had the first effort on target when Falconer hit a bouncing shot from 20 yards that Leishman held low to his right.
A minute later Kemp came close down the other end. He sped clear on the right & fired a shot inside the near post that Thomson blocked with his feet.
Falconer had his name taken in the 14th minute when he tripped Glasgow as he broke down the centre. Pope delivered the free kick into the area where it was headed behind by Whitefield. Glasgow whipped the corner into the near post where Falconer headed it clear but it came straight out to Pope whose low drive was deflected just past the left post.
Talbot opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. Kemp fed the ball on to Glasgow on the right & he fired it low across goal where STEPHEN WILSON got on the end of it to side-foot home from 8 yards out.
From the re-start the Gow won a free kick in a dangerous area when Glasgow clipped the heels of Weir. Weir delivered the free kick beyond the back post where Leishman came for it but couldn’t hold onto it but Harvey was able to clear.
Lesmahagow put together a good move in the 26th minute. Woodlock won the ball in the centre & spread play out to Weir on the right. He squared it across to Faughnan but he took too long on the ball & Lyle was able to block his shot.
Talbot were denied a second goal in the 28th minute thanks to a fine stop from Thomson. Gow conceded a needless corner and when it came over Hyslop climbed to head it for goal. Thomson did well to turn his header onto the bar & the defence were able to scramble it clear from the goal mouth.
The goal wasn’t long delayed though & Talbot doubled their lead in the 34th minute. Harvey shoved a free kick up the left touchline to find Pope in space. He angled a cross into the area that flew over Schonville to find GRAHAM WILSON who took it on the half volley; burying a shot inside the left post.
A good reaction save prevented Talbot from extending their lead in the 37th minute. Kemp whipped an early ball in from the left & Glasgow met it to steer a low shot back across goal only for Thomson to save with his feet.
It was now all Talbot and Kemp passed up a good chance to make it 3 in the 41st minute. Graham Wilson cut in off the right past Schonville & slipped the ball through to Kemp who found himself in space inside the area but he pulled his shot wide of the right post.
Two minutes later Talbot had another golden opportunity to score. McDowall lifted a great ball over the defence to send Graham Wilson through down the left. He raced in one on one with Thomson but his shot was too near the keeper who was able to block. The rebound spun up into the air where Glasgow headed it goal ward but his header drifted over the bar & Talbot had to be content with a 2 goal lead at the interval.
Lesmahagow made a change during half-time with Faugnan remaining in the clubhouse & J Thomson on in his place up front.
The change in personnel though didn’t lead to a change in the game as Talbot continued to dominate. Kemp did well in the 49th minute racing in off the left & driving for the box. He had Stephen Wilson free on the right but instead opted to shoot; drilling a low shot straight at Thomson from the edge of the area.
Any hopes of a cup upset folded in the 53rd minute when Talbot made it 3-0. Lyle dinked the ball over the static defence & JAMIE GLASGOW raced onto it before calmly passing the ball beyond the keeper.
It could easily have been 4 soon after. Graham Wilson showed good strength to hold off Schonville’s challenge before rolling the ball across the area toward Kemp. He dummied it & the ball ran through to Stephen Wilson who drilled it just past the left post from 15 yards.
Falconer could have headed for an early bath in the 58th minute when he caught Stephen Wilson late. The ref looked set to produce a card but had 2nd thoughts when he realised he’d booked him earlier.
Tucker made a double switch on the hour mark with McIlroy & Shankland replacing Kemp & Graham Wilson up front. Lesmahagow now made their 2nd change with S Schonville coming on for Weir.
Talbot’s substitions paid off in the 67th minute when the two subs combined to add to Talbot’s lead. Shankland swept a good cross in from the left & SEAN MCILROY met it in the centre to head it beyond the keeper.
McDowall picked up a caution in the 69th minute when he lunged into a late tackle in midfield.
Tucker now made his final change with Waite on for Hyslop.
Again the sub made an immediate impact, haring down the left & whipping over a cross that McIlroy headed just wide of the right post.
Talbot grabbed their 5th goal in the 79th minute. Glasgow got away down the right & knocked a good ball across the 6-yard area which SEAN MCILROY volleyed home at the near post.
With 6 minutes remaining Lesmahagow managed to snatch a late consolation effort. Thomson got on the end of a head flick inside the box & hit a low drive on target. Leishman saved low to his left but MCSTAY had followed up & tucked away the rebound.
As the game moved into injury time Talbot completed the scoring when they added their 6th. Shankland played a clever disguised pass down the right to take out the defence & send JAMIE GLASGOW clean through. Thomson managed to get a hand to his low drive but could only help it into the roof of the net.
A very good performance by Talbot who hit form at just the right time to claim the inaugural Sectional cup. Next up for Talbot it is a trip up north to face the unbeaten Cove Rangers in the senior Scottish.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McPherson, Stephen Wilson, Hyslop, Glasgow, Graham Wilson, Kemp, McDowall

Subs – Shankland, McIlroy, McCracken, Waite, White

Lesmahagow Juniors – S Thomson, Falconer, Whitefield, Woodlock, N Schonville, Nicholson, Innes, S Clark, Faughnan, McStay, Weir

Subs – Lygate, M Clark, S Schonville, J Thomson, Lithgow

Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Lesmahagow Juniors

Auchinleck Talbot v Kilwinning Rangers

Talbot will face Lesmahagow for the first silverware of the season after defeating Kilwinning 2-1 at Beechwood in the Sectional cup semi-final.

Tucker made a few changes to the starting eleven but they had no advers effect on Talbot’s performance as they continued their winning run.
The Bot made the perfect start, taking an early lead in the 4th minute. Glasgow skipped past Maitland & fired a low ball across the face of goal. It was cleared but came out to Pope who swept a cross to the back post where GARETH ARMSTRONG bulleted a header past Strain.
A promising Talbot break ended in nought in the 7th minute. Stephen Wilson raced through the midfield & tried to release Kemp in behind the defence but his pass was intercepted by Maitland.
Kilwinning ought to have equalised in the 8th minute. Talbot’s defence were caught square as Monti ran onto a ball in behind. He was through one on one with Leishman but tried to pass it into the net & Leishman made the stop.
A minute later Talbot had a half chance down the other end. Glasgow raced to the bye line & lifted a cross to the far post where McCracken headed over the bar.
The game was flowing from end to end & the Buffs threatened the Bot goal in the 12th minute. Monti got free down the right & slung a cross beyond the back post where Nisbet’s shot was deflected just wide of the right post.
Talbot’s next attack saw the Bot force a corner down the right. The defence failed to clear Glasgow’s corner & it wound its way to Kemp near the bye line. He chipped it across goal to the back post but it was well defended & the ball cleared.
Kilwinning drew level in the 21st minute. Monti’s cross found LEWIS in space at the back post & he fired an unstoppable volley past Leishman to make it 1-1.
The visitors won a free kick just outside the Bot box in the 26th minute when Monti fell over under McPherson’s challenge. Monti took the set piece but it rose harmlessly over the bar.
Two minutes later Talbot won a free kick down the right by the corner flag after a needless foul by McCloskey. Glasgow whipped it into the near post but the Buffs defence were able to clear.
Kemp had a half chance on the half hour mark. McIlroy curled a cross over from the left & Kemp met it in the centre, heading wide of target & taking a facial knock in the process. Kilwinning’s Whyte also received a head knock in the same incident & had to be bandaged up before continuing.
Harvey found himself in the book in the 38th minute for what looked to be a hard but fair tackle on Monti who managed to survive the experience despite out-rolling Jurgen Klinsman.
Three minutes before the interval Talbot came close to regaining the lead. Lyle intercepted a pass & released it to Kemp inside the Buffs half. He drove for the penalty area before firing a low shot that flew just wide of Strain’s right post.
The final attack of the half went Kilwinning’s way. Maitland dispossessed Glasgow out by the stand side touchline & floated it up the line for Monti. He cut into the area past McPherson & drilled a dangerous low ball across goal but there were no takers and so the sides went in level at the break.
The 2nd half got off to a scrappy start and it took only the 52nd minute before either side could apply any pressure. Pope lifted a free kick up the left for Glasgow to chase & he forced a corner. Glasgow whipped the corner into the near post where McIlroy just failed to connect with it.
Two minutes later Talbot looked to be on the wrong end of a dodgy offside call. Glasgow slid a pass through to send McIlroy through on the keeper only for the linesman to flag for a highly dubious offside call.
Talbot ought to have moved ahead in the 55th minute. Kemp won a corner on the left & the Buffs defence couldn’t cope with Glasgow’s delivery. The ball came to Harvey in space 6 yards out but he mishit his effort & trundled a tame shot straight at the keeper.
Pettigrew had his name taken in the 57th minute when he unceremoniously halted Stephen Wilson’s burst forward and the Bot were awarded a free kick 22 yards out. Kemp took it but shot straight into the wall.
On the hour mark Talbot managed to get in behind the Buffs rearguard. Armstrong squared it to Stephen Wilson whose slide pass found Glasgow in space on the left. He could have wen t for the shot but instead opted to play it across the 6-yard area but unfortunately there was no one to take advantage.
At the other end, Talbot had a scare in the 63rd minute when Strain’s long ball downfield found Monti on the right edge of the penalty area. He held off the challenge of Harvey & turned before firing across goal & narrowly past Leishman’s right post.
A minute later the visitors had another opportunity. Leishman had to race out of goals to beat Nisbet to a short header back to him. He managed to clear it but the ball came straight out to Lewis 40 yards from goal. He tried to lash it home from long range whilst Leishman was stranded but sent it well wide.
The crucial goal came in the 65th minute. Maitland received a caution for up-ending Glasgow 25 yards from goal. Before the free kick could be taken Tucker made a double substitution with Shankland & Graham Wilson coming on for McIlroy & Kemp. This proved to be an inspired switch as MARK SHANKLAND’S first involvement was to strike the free kick round the wall & off the inside of the right post. It cannoned across the goal line & hit off Strain before ending in the far corner of the net.
Kilwinning made their 1st change in the 69th minute with Curragh on in place of McGuinness.
Stephen Wilson picked up a caution in the 70th minute for a late challenge on Pettigrew.
Talbot had a chance to kill the tie off with quarter of an hour remaining. Graham Wilson’s header on sent Glasgow free on the left side of the box. He cut in on his right foot but lifted his shot over the bar from 15 yards.
Two minutes later Kilwinning had a chance to level. Talbot failed to clear a ball inside the area & it came to Nisbet in space on the left. He had men over inside the 6-yard area but opted for power & blazed a shot over the bar from a good area.
A minute later Nisbet squandered an even clearer chance. He latched onto a pass inside the box & took it wide of Leishman but from a tight angle he failed to hit the empty net; sending his shot into the side-netting.
The visitors should have played out the closing stages a man down when Maitland was guilty of a blatant trip but when the ref pulled him over he seemed to recall he’d already booked him & bottled out of the decision; contenting himself with issuing a lecture.
With 9 minutes remaining Talbot had another chance to extend their lead. Graham Wilson sent Shankland through on the keeper but Strain did enough to force him out wide. Shankland swung a good bal over to the far post but there was no Talbot player there to knock it home.
Pope received a caution in the 83rd minute for a foul on Monti.
As the game entered the closing stages Talbot passed up two golden chances to put the tie to bed.
In the 87th minute Armstrong showed quick feet & determination to evade a couple of challenges and make it to the bye line. He crossed the ball beyond the far post where Shankland hooked it back across goal. Graham Wilson met it in the centre but headed over the bar from 6 yards out.
Graham Wilson had another chance to get on the score sheet in the 1st minute of injury time. Glasgow broke free down the right & pulled it back for Graham Wilson who was in space 8 yards out but his low drive was too close to Strain.
Deep into injury time Tucker was forced into a late change when Glasgow had to be helped from the field with Hyslop entering the fray but he was barely on before the final whistle blew.
This cup tie was a good advert for the Junior grade, highly competitive with plenty of chances at both ends and some good goals. Next up for Talbot it is the senior Scottish cup where Wigton & Badnoch stand in the way of Talbot qualifying for the 1st round proper.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McPherson, Armstrong, Stephen Wilson, McCracken, McIlroy, Kemp, Glasgow

Subs – Graham Wilson, Shankland, Waite, Hyslop, White

Kilwinning Rangers – Strain, Maitland, McCloskey, Pettigrew, Whyte, McGuinness, Monti, Fleming, Nisbet, Lewis, McKenzie

Subs – Curragh, Hill, Reid, Wardrope, Keifer (gk)