Auchinleck Talbot v Glenafton Athletic

Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Some Glens fans attempted an unfunny wind up with a banner display but the Talbot fans had the last laugh as the Bot claimed the 1st silverware of the season.
Talbot haven’t had much joy against the Glens of late & it was Glenafton who started the stronger; nearly taking the lead in the 3rd minute. Lynass was impeded 25 yards out & McKernon fired the free kick over the wall & inches wide of the right hand post.
With Talbot sitting deep, Glenafton were bossing territory & dominating the game without being able to get in behind the Bot defence.
The game’s next big chance came the Glens way in the 21st minute. Lynass sent a pass through the Bot defence for Park. The ball ran away from him but came to McCann who looked certain to score from 6 yards but Lyle dived in to deflect his shot over the bar.
The Glens threatened again in the 28th minute. McKernon was allowed plenty of time & space on the right & was able to pick out a cross toward Lynass. It took a slight touch before reaching him & that was enough to put him off & he took a fresh air swipe from 12 yards out.
Talbot managed to put the ball in the net in the 34th minute. Hyslop headed the ball on into the path of Graham Wilson who buried a volley past McGarrity from the edge of the area but the linesman flagged him offside.
The next Bot chance came when Armstrong back heeled the ball into the path of Lyle who burst into the area only to see his low drive blocked behind by McChesney. The corner was lifted into the centre where McGarrity touched it away. The Glens couldn’t clear their lines & the ball was fed out to Armstrong on the right. He skinned McChesney & lifted a dangerous cross to the far post which went to waste.
Neither side could make any headway before the interval & the sides went in level at the break.
Talbot got off to a sluggish start to the 2nd half and were fortunate not to fall behind. Two minutes in McAusland picked the ball up in space 35 yards out & under no pressure he hammered a shot at goal that came back off Leishman’s right hand post.
A minute later Talbot were guilty of the same offence, failing to get out to shut down Moore & he crashed a shot off the bar from 25 yards. The rebound came out to Andrew who side-footed it on target only for Leishman to make a crucial stop to turn it behind for the corner.
The close shaves woke Talbot up & they threatened the Glens goal in the 50th minute when Glasgow drilled a low shot on target that McGarrity bundled around his left post. Talbot kept the pressure up & Glasgow did well out on the right, cutting the ball back into the path of Hyslop whose shot was blocked behind for another corner kick. This time the ball was delivered to the back post where CRAIG MCCRACKEN climbed highest to bullet a header home to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.
The goal transformed the game with Talbot now in the ascendancy and they nearly doubled their lead on the hour mark. Graham Wilson’s flick sent Glasgow free on the left & he out-paced the Glens defence to race into the penalty area but unfortunately his final shot lacked the power to beat McGarrity who smothered his low effort.
Within a minute Talbot had another chance. Glasgow beat McGarrity to a ball over the top, knocking it wide of him & gathering out on the right. With the keeper stranded off his line he opted to go for an early shot, lifting it over the bar, to the frustration of Graham Wilson who was free in the centre.
McGarrity made a blunder in the 64th minute bowling the ball straight out to Graham Wilson but the ref spared his blushes, pulling play back to allow the Glens to make a substitution with Dallas coming on for Andrew.
McCracken picked up a booking in the 67th minute for a late challenge on McCann & the Glens took the opportunity to make their 2nd change with Borris replacing Lynass.
Moore was the 1st Glens player in the book, penalised for persistent fouling, when he conceded a free kick out on the right. Pope whipped the ball over & McGarrity did well to punch it away under pressure from McCracken.
McChesney received a caution in the 73rd minute for his reaction after he conceded a free kick 30 yards out. Pope took it & his shot deflected off the wall & spun behind for the corner.
Glasgow had a half chance soon after when he cut inside off the left wing but he pulled his shot wide of target.
Talbot threatened again in the 77th minute. Hyslop headed a free kick on to Graham Wilson who laid the ball out to Glasgow on the left. He hared down the left of the area before firing a shot wide of target from a tight angle.
Tucker made his 1st change in the 84th minute with McIlroy on in place of Glasgow.
The referee got it wrong in the 86th minute. Park blatantly pulled White’s shirt as he broke forward but play went on & seconds later Harvey ended up cautioned for a late challenge. The Glens flighted the free kick into the goal mouth but Leishman came off his line to punch clear.
Two minutes from time Talbot nearly doubled their lead. Park fouled Graham Wilson 25 yards from goal, resulting in a booking for Park & a free kick to Talbot. Graham Wilson’s shot beat the wall & had McGarrity spectating but came back off the top of the bar.
Glenafton hadn’t offered much since Talbot had taken the lead but they threw men forward as the game moved into added time. They won a free kick within shooting range a minute into injury time & McAusland went for power, hammering a shot from 30 yards that flew into the Bot wall, flattening Stephen Wilson. He was unable to continue & wobbled off to be replaced by Thomson.
Talbot saw the game out to secure a hard fought victory & claim the Ardagh cup & bragging rights over their rivals. No game for Talbot this coming Saturday due to the Junior International tournament so a well-earned rest for the squad.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McCracken, White, Armstrong, Stephen Wilson, Graham Wilson, Glasgow, Hyslop

Subs – McIlroy, Pooler, Thomson, McPherson, Shankland

Glenafton Athletic – McGarrity, McAusland, Cairns, Menzies, McChesney, McKernon, Lynass, Park, McCann, Andrew, Moore

Subs – Dallas, Borris

Read more:

Irvine Victoria v Auchinleck Talbot

Not a game to live long in the memory but Talbot did enough to grind out a win which secures their place in the Ardagh final where they will face local rivals Glenafton.
There was nothing wrong with Talbot’s start to the match & the Bot scored the game’s one & only goal after only a minute. McIlroy burst away from McNab down the left before squaring the ball to KEMP who fired low past Lamb to put Talbot 1-0 ahead.
Talbot kept the early momentum going & nearly doubled their lead in the 8th minute. Shankland broke on the left before cutting the ball back to Pope & his shot bounced just wide of the left post.
Irvine Vics came within a whisker of equalizing in the 14th minute. Talbot were caught daydreaming at a quickly taken corner & when the cross came over from the right Adam was allowed a free header from 6 yards but it came off the underside of the bar & bounced out to safety.
Harvey had his name taken in the 20th minute. He looked to be in control just outside the penalty area but was deceived by the bounce of the ball & ended up flattening Adam in an aerial challenge. Singleton took the free kick but hit it straight into the wall. Meanwhile, Adam exited the field for treatment before returning after being bandaged up.
The next effort at goal came from Talbot. Pope switched play in field to Kemp & he fired a shot from 20+ yards that just cleared the bar.
A 2nd goal for Talbot would have all but killed the tie off & they came close in the 36th minute. Kemp released Weir down the right side of the area & Shankland side-footed his cutback just over the crossbar.
Talbot wasted a good chance to extend their lead after 40 minutes. McIlroy knocked a good ball wide to Thomson & he sped down the left wing, cut into the box, and slid it across to Shankland who failed to convert from 6 yards.
The home side were forced into a change not long before half-time with Adam leaving the field to be replaced by Adams & in the final action of the half, Shankland fired a shot narrowly over from the edge of the area after being set up by Thomson.
Just as Talbot had scored early in the 1st half, Irvine Vics nearly repeated the feat, coming close within a minute of the re-start. Adams got free down the right & pulled it back for Ablorh who hammered a shot on target that Leishman blocked inside his near post.
The same two Vics players combined again in the 51st minute with Adams squaring the ball inside to Ablorh who toe poked the ball wide of the left post from 15 yards.
Tucker made his 1st change in the 57th minute with Wilson coming on in place of Shankland.
Thomson was unfortunate on the hour mark when he swung a dangerous cross over from the left. It was begging to be turned home but no had gambled on it & the ball curled wide of the far post for a goal kick. Two minutes later Talbot blew a great chance to double the lead. Hyslop’s slide rule pass released Kemp in behind the defence & when he played it across goal McIlroy looked set to side-foot it home from 6 yards but he got his feet in a muddle & somehow the ball ended up stuck between his feet.
Tucker now made two further changes, firstly Armstrong coming on for White and soon after Glasgow replacing McIlroy.
Talbot were denied their 2nd goal in the 77th minute by a poor call from the assistant ref. Weir bent a cross in from the left which Pope ran onto to glance past the keeper. He looked to be comfortably onside but the flag went up on the far side & the goal didn’t stand.
Vics now made their 2nd switch with Wilson on for Hamilton.
With the light fading, Talbot had a couple of opportunities to put the game to bed. In the 82nd minute Thomson’s accurate pass sent Kemp clean through on the right but his final ball across the face of goal had too much on it & no one could get a touch on it. Then, in the final minute Glasgow had a good chance to get on the score sheet. He controlled Pope’s ball over the top but scuffed his shot well wide from 15 yards.
Whilst Talbot weren’t at their best, especially in the final third, they did enough to get the job done.
No game for Talbot this Saturday due to the Glens participation in the senior cup so it will be a week on Saturday before the Bot are back in action when they face Clydebank in the league.

Irvine Victoria – Lamb, Craig, McNab, Young, Bonner, Davidson, Mears, Singleton, Adam, Ablorh, Hamilton

Subs – Hollis, Burt, Wilson, Scott, Adams

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Weir, Pope, Harvey, McCracken, White, Hyslop, Thomson, McIlroy, Shankland, Kemp

Subs – G Wilson, Glasgow, Pettigrew, Armstrong

Girvan v Auchinleck Talbot

Auchinleck Talbot v Muirkirk Juniors

A history making night for Talbot as they overwhelmed Muirkirk 16-0 to record the Bot’s biggest ever win.
The goal glut started early with the Bot taking the lead inside 3 minutes. Kemp flighted a cross straight onto the head of HYSLOP & he guided a header back across goal to make it 1-0.
Talbot doubled their lead after 6 minutes. A ball over the top found G WILSON racing into the area & he slotted it past the advancing keeper to put Talbot 2-0 ahead.
In the 9th minute Talbot were awarded a penalty after J Anderson sent Kemp to the turf inside the box. SHANKLAND took the spot kick & fired it low past Wilson to make it 3-0.
A minute later it was almost four. Wilson fired a dangerous ball in from the left which Shankland just failed to meet in the centre. It came to McCracken wide of the far post & he clattered a shot off the upright. McCracken reacted first to reach the ball out on the right & played it back across goal where Wilson did well to foil Thomson; blocking his shot at his left post.
The goal was only marginally delayed though & Talbot moved 4-0 ahead in the 11th minute. SHANKLAND floated a delightful lob over the helpless keeper from the left side of the penalty area.
On the quarter hour mark Talbot went 5-0 ahead. Harvey lifted a cross in from the left touchline & WEIR beat Wilson to it in the air to nod it into the empty net.
Muirkirk made a change in the 20th minute with Beveridge replacing Steveson.
Just when Muirkirk thought things couldn’t get any worse they did. Hyslop’s ball up the left wing sent G Wilson scurrying free & he was taken out by Muirkirk’s keeper. The referee judged it worthy of a straight red and off went the goalie. Muirkirk now took Peck off in order to bring on their sub keeper, Platt.
Talbot were knocking the ball around like a training exercise, with Muirkirk chasing shadows, and the only wonder is it took until the 36th minute for goal number 6 to arrive.
Hyslop found Shankland on the left & he squared it across the 6 yard area where G WILSON ran onto it to squeeze a shot past Platt.
A minute later Muirkirk had their one & only chance of the evening. Ballantyne skipped past Weir inside the area & his effort was deflected against the outside of Leishman’s right post.
Talbot’s 7th goal and Muirkirk’s 2nd red card both arrived in the 44th minute. McIntyre conceded a penalty for up-ending Kemp inside the area & once again Shankland took it. This time he hit it low to the keeper’s right & Platt guessed right to make the save. The ball rebounded back to Shankland who was poised to knock it home from close range until barged to the deck by Millar who got his marching orders for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. G WILSON now took over from the spot & buried it to make the half-time score Talbot 7 Muirkirk 0.
Tucker made 3 changes at the interval with McIlroy, Glasgow & Pope coming on for G Wilson, Shankland & Weir.
The three subs were all involved within a minute of the re-start, McIlroy sending the ball in from the left, Glasgow touching it back & Pope driving a shot just over the bar.
Talbot’s 8th came in the 49th minute. McIlroy had the time & space to pick out a cross & find the unmarked GLASGOW in the centre & he steered a header home from close range.
Three minutes later Talbot extended their lead. Harvey raced down the right before cutting the ball back to GLASGOW who swept it home from 15 yards.
The Bot made it to double figures in the 55th minute. Once again McIlroy got free down the left & knocked it into the centre. Glasgow teed it up for KEMP who drilled a low shot past Platt to make it 10 nil.
There was no let up from Talbot & the 11th goal arrived after 68 minutes. Pope dinked a perfectly weighted ball over the defence which MCILROY guided inside the right post.
Talbot made it a round dozen in the 76th minute. Pettigrew played a good ball down the left to release GLASGOW & he calmly passed it into the net to complete his hat-trick.
One minute later & Talbot grabbed their 13th, a top quality finish from MCILROY who met Harvey’s ball over from the right & volleyed it first time into the roof of the net.
The goals were now arriving with the regularity of PPI nuisance calls and in the 79th minute Talbot stretched their lead to 14 to no reply when McIlroy cut the ball back across goal where GLASGOW met it, back to goal, and turned before shooting home.
The Bot very nearly made it 15 in the 82nd minute. Muirkirk’s sub, S Anderson, was woefully short with an attempted passback allowing Kemp to intercept inside the area. He crashed a shot off the base of the left post which flew back out to Glasgow who slid it wide of the far post with the goal gaping.
Talbot equalled their biggest ever winning margin a minute later. KEMP was hauled back just outside the Muirkirk penalty area & took the resultant free kick; striking it just inside the right post to leave the keeper with no chance.
Two minutes from time Talbot completed the rout, assisted by a blunder from a Muirkirk defender, who attempted to head it back to his keeper. He only succeeded in sending GLASGOW free on the right side of the penalty area & he stroked it home to score his 5th and Talbot’s 16th.
As wins go this was about as comprehensive as it gets, Talbot utterly dominating the 90 minutes, and turning that dominance into goals. Next up for Talbot it is the start of the league campaign as the Bot travel through to Cumbernauld for a tricky away fixture against Rob Roy.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Weir, Harvey, McPherson, Pettigrew, Thomson, Hyslop, McCracken, G Wilson, Shankland, Kemp

Subs – McIlroy, Glasgow, Pope, S Wilson, White

Muirkirk – Wilson, Ross, Peck, Rodgers, McIntyre, J Anderson, McGuire, Millar, Condon, Ballantyne, Steveson

Subs – Campbell, Beveridge, S Anderson, Barrie, Platt

Auchinleck Talbot v Kello Rovers

After a mini ricochet inside the Kello box, the ball finally lands at the feet of Sean McIlroy……

Talbot cruised to a 4-0 win over Kello Rovers that all but guarantees them a place in the last 8 of the Ardagh cup.
For all the comfort of the final margin, Kello ought to have taken the lead within seconds of the start. Hampson charged forward before releasing it right to find Wilson free inside the box but he drilled his low shot across target & wide of the right post.

……who fires it beyond the ‘keeper and opens the scoring for Talbot. 1-0.

Talbot opened the scoring with their 1st meaningful attack in the 5th minute. Weir carried it out from the back, deep into the Kello half before sliding it through to Pooler on the right. He cut it back toward Weir whose shot was blocked but the ball spun into the path of MCILROY who slotted it inside the left post.
McIlroy finds acres of space and time to easily and calmly slot the ball home for number two. 2-0.

The Bot doubled their advantage after quarter of an hour. Armstrong floated a high cross to the back post which Dunsmuir failed to cut out. The ball came to Pooler who squared it across goal for MCILROY to pass into the empty net to make it 2-0.
Kello had an effort on goal in their next attack. Weir diverted a ball into the path of Fleming & he struck a low drive straight at Leishman from 20 yards.
Although the Kello ‘keeper gets a hand to Sean McIlroy’s header……

Kemp then came close for Talbot. He closed down Bennie, blocking his attempted clearance & carrying on into the area where he fired narrowly past Dunsmuir’s left post.
The 3rd goal came in the 22nd minute when MCILROY rose to power home Kemp’s corner kick to score a quick fire hat-trick.
Kello had an opportunity to reduce the deficit in the 26th minute when they were awarded a free-kick 30 yards out. Hampson’s shot flew into the wall & the ref harshly judged that Weir had deliberately handled it, booking Weir, and awarding Kello a free kick right on the edge of the area. This time Shaw took it but sent his effort well over the bar.
And from this different angle, you can see Sean pretty much had an open goal in front of him for both his and Talbot’s second goal of the game.

Talbot threatened to extend their lead in the 31st minute. Kemp pulled a corner back into the path of Pope & Dunsmuir had to dive full length to turn his drive round the post.
Kello were having problems defending corners & Talbot nearly scored again a minute later when Pooler met a corner at the near post & glanced a header just over.
And so completes the connoisseur hat-trick, as McIlroy gets his head onto a corner kick and makes it three and easy for the boys in black ‘n’ gold. 3-0.

Pooler created Talbot’s next opening when his reverse pass sent Kemp racing through on the left where he shot across goal & past Dunsmuir’s left post.
Talbot continued to dominate and came close a couple of times before the interval. Lyle & McIlroy worked the ball down the right before Lyle fired a dangerous ball into the near post which was blocked behind for a corner. The corner was pulled back to Pettigrew who ran onto it & steered a shot on target which was cleared off the line inside the right post.
……it is unable to prevent the goal, as the ball still smashes into the back of the net.

The visitors had a chance in the 44th minute when Hampson latched onto a long ball down the centre. He took it in his stride & fired an early shot just wide of Leishman’s left post.
In the final action of the half Kemp broke in behind the Kello defence but couldn’t beat Dunsmuir who saved his low drive with his feet.
With the game nearing the end there was still one more goal to come, as ‘Shankers’ fires a wonder strike from the edge of the box and……

Kello made a change at the start of the 2nd half with Miller coming on in place of Fleming.
The visitors were forced into a 2nd change in the 53rd minute when Hampson pulled up injured & had to go off to be replaced by Mathieson.
Dunmsuir prevented McIlroy from grabbing his & Talbot’s 4th after 56 minutes. Lyle lifted a ball down the right to find McIlroy inside the area & he hammered a fierce shot on target that Kello’s keeper parried behind for a corner.
……it careers into the back of the net via the underside of the crossbar. 4-0.

Talbot now made their own changes, firstly Thomson coming on for Steven Wilson & a few minutes later a double switch with Graham Wilson & Shankland replacing Kemp & Pooler.
The next attack saw Shankland making tracks down the left before crossing to the far post where McIlroy headed past the post.
Pope tested the keeper in the 68th minute, showing quick feet to beat a couple of men, and then drilling a low drive from outside the area which Dunsmuir smothered.
……it careers into the back of the net via the underside of the crossbar. 4-0.

Wilson had a good chance a minute later to add to Talbot’s lead. A ball over the defence found him running free on the left of the area but he pulled his shot wide of the far post.
It was all Talbot and the Bot came close again in the 76th minute. Shankland swept a cross in from the right that found Wilson in front of goal but he steered his header wide of target.
Just as in mid-week Talbot finished the game with 10 men after McIlroy picked up a knock late on.
The final goal came a minute from time. Thomson released Pope down the left wing & when he cut it back to the edge of the area SHANKLAND stroked it into the roof of the net to make it 4-0.
Next up for Talbot is a Wednesday evening trip to Muirkirk to complete the Ardagh group stages.

A tumble for this Kello defender, as McIlroy tries to hold onto the ball.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Pettigrew, Weir, S Wilson, White, Armstrong, McIlroy, Pooler, Kemp

Subs – Shankland, G Wilson, Thomson, Glasgow, McPherson

Kello Rovers – Dunsmuir, Bennie, Pagan, Ramage, Bell, Costello, Hampson, Shaw, Wilson, Fleming, Hill

Subs – Miller, Thomson, Mathieson, Paterson


Fingers crossed this turns into a successful pass for Gordon.
I think these Kello players have got a bone to pick with the referee.
Pettigrew watches, as Pope stands his ground.
As the action unfolds, it seems it was just the Kello manager that was wanting to sing and dance to a very famous song!
After racing in from the left wing, Kemp fires a hopeful shot across the face of goal.
From a free-kick, the ball gets smashed straight into the wall, however, the ref deems the ball hit Steven Wilson on the hand so……
……Kello get a second chance at a free-kick from close range but the ball does not find the back of the net.
Calvin pops up at the back post to head the ball back into the danger zone.
McIlroy does his best to evade this challenge but the ball gets cleared by Kello.
Pooler manages to jump the highest but can’t get a decent header in front of goal.
Another chance for Dylan, as he flashes the ball straight across the face of goal.
The ‘keeper stands his ground, as Calvin Kemp gets a shot in from very close range.
Kemp tries to burst through the small gap between these two defenders.
“There can only be one.”
“Look…we’re shooting this way!”
He must think the goal is nearer, as this Kello player goes for the spectacular.
‘Petti’ makes sure the danger gets cleared.
Calvin’s shot gets blocked inside the box.
Andy and Steven can only watch, as Kello try their luck from distance.
An early second half chance for Sean but he gets thwarted by a superb save from the ‘keeper.
He’s behind you!!!
The ‘keeper may look startled to see the ball but he manages to prevent McIlroy from scoring at the back post.
‘G’ races into the box and fires a shot at goal but it goes agonisingly wide of the far post.
This Kello player tries to air his views of the game.
Wullie Lyle tries to start the next Talbot attack.
This Kello player gets it in the neck for this challenge.
‘Whitey’ fires the ball back down the wing.
Klark Thompson gets into a tussle, as he aims to win the ball back for Talbot.
Some stern faces from the Kello players, as they prepare to defend a Talbot free-kick. Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Lugar Boswell v Auchinleck Talbot

On paper this game looked a banker for Talbot & it followed the script as the Bot swept Lugar aside 5-0 in a one-sided encounter.
Talbot dominated from the outset & could have taken the lead in the 7th minute when G Wilson ghosted past Drummond & whipped over a cross that Shankland headed straight at the keeper from 8 yards.
Two minutes later the roles were reversed, this time Shankland’s clever reverse pass sending G Wilson through on the left side of the area but he blazed his shot over the crossbar.
Talbot’s next attack saw Montgomery concede a free kick when he clipped the heels of Glasgow. Shankland swept the ball in low across the goal mouth but no one could get the final touch & it flew past the back post.
Graham Wilson then had a chance to open the scoring when his brother’s cross from the right touchline found him in space but he steered his header straight at Davis.
The pressure told & Talbot took the lead in the 17th minute. Shankland nodded a ball on through to GRAHAM WILSON who burst into the box & rounded the keeper before stroking the ball into the empty net.
Five minutes later Talbot doubled their lead. Latta knocked a good ball up the right to find Shankland running in behind. He lifted a cross to the far post where GLASGOW nodded it back across goal & beyond the keeper.
The game was over as a contest in the 27th minute when Talbot grabbed their third. Lugar conceded a free kick 25 yards out when Shankland was barged in the back. POPE took it & fired wide of the wall & past Davis, who seemed to think it was going wide until it was too late.
As often happens when a team races into an early lead Talbot unconsciously switched down a gear, continuing to dominate possession but rarely looking like adding to their lead before the interval.
They did have a chance in the 41st minute when Shankland’s pass sent Glasgow free on the left. He hammered it for the near post where Davis made the stop & the keeper recovered to smother the loose ball.
The 2nd half followed on where the 1st had left off with Talbot camped in the Lugar half looking for a way through a packed defence.
Shankland had a good chance to add to Talbot’s tally in the 53rd minute. Glasgow squared the ball in from the left & Shankland ran onto it 12 yards out & tried to pass it home but side-footed just wide of the right post.
The fourth goal arrived after 57 minutes when Pope cut the ball back to THOMSON who swept it home.
Tucker now made a triple substitution with Shankland & the Wilson brothers departing to be replaced by Kemp, Pooler & McIlroy.
The game’s one & only yellow card appeared in the 63rd minute for Lugar’s Drummond who was penalised for a blatant trip on Glasgow.
Talbot’s next attack saw Thomson win the ball just outside the box & release Kemp down the right. He raced into the area but chose the wrong option & fired wide from a tight angle.
Lugar now made a change with Orr coming on for Curtis & Talbot made a precautionary move with Latta leaving the field after taking a knock & Talbot seeing out the game with 10 men.
The extra man made no odds to the pattern of the match & Talbot continued to dominate.
Lugar were content to sit in & keep the score down and it worked for the most part but in the final minute Talbot added a fifth to complete the rout. Kemp cut in from the right & angled a ball into the near post which Pooler helped on to GLASGOW who rammed it home from close range.
A comfortable night for the Bot on the pitch, which is more than can be said for the spectators who spent an uncomfortable evening being plagued by Rosebank’s infamous horde of midges. Next up for Talbot is a home tie against Kello Rovers this Saturday.

Lugar Boswell – Davis, Montgomery, Lowe, Crolley, Drummond, Struthers, J Malone, Milligan, Shirkie, Curtis, Conn

Subs – Millar, Blair, Brown, G Malone, Orr

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Latta, Pope, McPherson, Weir, Thomson, Armstrong, Glasgow, G Wilson, Shankland, S Wilson

Subs – McIlroy, Pooler, Kemp, Lyle, White

Read more:

Cumnock Juniors v Auchinleck Talbot

Through a very crowded Cumnock box you can just see how Talbot scored the winning goal, as Kyle Faulds fires a great low strike from outside the box which smashes into the bottom right hand corner of the net. 0-1.

Talbot edged this derby encounter at Townhead winning an average game with a wonder goal to notch their first win of the season.
The first opportunity came Cumnock’s way after 4 minutes when McCracken was caught on the ball just outside the penalty area. McKenzie surged into the box but failed to make the most of the opening.
A minute later Talbot had their first chance when Kemp cut in off the left wing & fired a low drive wide of Johnson’s left post.
McKenzie squandered a great chance to put the home side ahead in the 10th minute. Cumnock had a slice of luck when White’s attempted clearance was blocked & spun straight into the path of McKenzie as he bore down on goal but Leishman came off his line & dived at his feet to make the block.
Cumnock wasted another clear opening in the 17th minute. They won a corner out on the right when Esplin’s shot from the edge of the area was deflected behind off White. When the corner came into the near post Anson was in space but glanced a free header well wide of target.
Talbot’s next attack saw Muir bundle Pooler over just outside the box resulting in a Bot free kick. Kemp lifted it over the wall & on target & Johnson just managed to punch it clear under pressure from McIlroy. Cumnock couldn’t clear their lines & when Pooler headed the ball down onto the 18 yard line FAULDS met it to lash an unstoppable effort into the top corner to put Talbot 1-0 ahead after 19 mins.
Crawford became the 1st name in the notebook when he was penalised for a late challenge on Thomson in the 25th minute.
The Talbot defence had a lucky escape in the 27th minute. Murray launched a long throw into the penalty area which the defence failed to deal with. It broke straight at the feet of Muir who missed the target from 15 yards.
Thomson had his name taken soon after for catching Samson late.
Half an hour in Talbot threatened to double their lead when a ball over the static defence found Pooler running in behind. He looked to be in but Johnson raced outside his box to make a crucial tackle & slide it out for a shy.
In the closing stages of the half McKenzie wasted two chances in quick succession to draw Cumnock level. Firstly, Muir swung a dangerous cross in from the left that he failed to connect with at the back post and then a minute later a header through the centre sent him through on goal but he lifted his shot over the bar.
Cumnock started the 2nd half on the front foot & came close to equalising in the 50th minute. McCracken headed Muir’s cross clear but it only came out as far as Montgomerie whose half volley just cleared the bar with Leishman stranded off his line.
Tucker was forced into a change in the 54th minute when Samson cynically took out Faulds in the centre. Samson received a yellow card for the challenge & Faulds had to limp from the field to be replaced by Pope. This led to a re-shuffle with Lyle moving to right-back & Armstrong into midfield.
Talbot had a chance in the 57th minute when McIlroy intercepted the ball midway inside the Nock half. He sent an early ball out right to find Pooler inside the penalty area but he was stretching to reach it & his low drive was saved by Johnson.
Cumnock’s Murray picked up a knock in the 65th minute & unable to continue he was replaced by Woods.
Two minutes later Montgomerie was fortunate to escape a caution when he rashly went in with studs showing.
In the 69th minute both sides made a further change with Forsyth coming on for Muir for the home side & Glasgow replacing Pooler for Talbot.
With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot made their final change with Shankland on for Kemp.
In the closing stages the home side huffed & puffed to break Talbot down without any joy & Talbot were able to close the game out & hold on for the 1-0 win.
A below par performance from Talbot but any win over Cumnock is a welcome one & Talbot now continue their Ardagh group stages with a visit to Rosebank on Wednesday night to face Lugar Boswell.

Cumnock – Johnson, Murray, Crawford, Lundie, McKenna, Montgomerie, Samson, Esplin, Anson, McKenzie, Muir

Subs – Barnes, Wood, Forsyth, McLaughlin

Talbot – Leishman, Armstrong, Lyle, McPherson, McCracken, Faulds, Kemp, White, McIlroy, Pooler, Thomson

Subs – Pope, Shankland, Glasgow, Harvey, Weir

Faulds gets congratulated by his team-mates after scoring a wonder goal for Talbot.
Kemp goes on a great run down the left wing.
Cumnock shield the ball, as McCracken tries to win the ball back for Talbot.
That’s a bit rude Neil!!!
Andy watches, as Craig McCracken heads the ball away from danger.
Lundie keeps his eyes on the ball, as Calvin and Sean close him down.
Synchronised defending……must be a new Olympic sport!!!
“Ah…the opposition shoot THAT way!”
The Talbot faithful bask in the sunshine, as Calvin fires a free-kick towards goal.
“Hey…hey…Wanna see my bird impression???”
Craig makes sure there is no way through for Cumnock.
As Leishman makes sure the ball safely goes wide, the Cumnock players can only rue a missed opportunity to score.
Pooler tries to get to the ball but Cumnock manage to clear the danger first.
Kyle Faulds shows were the ball should have been played in the previous Talbot attack.
Dylan Pooler takes a sore one in this challenge with the Cumnock ‘keeper.
I don’t think we want to know what your measuring Wullie.
‘Whitey’ and Armstrong discuss tactics while Kyle receives treatment before being taken off due to picking up an injury.
McCracken gets a foot in and wins the ball back for Talbot.
As they await a Talbot corner, McIlroy makes some time to have a laugh with the crowd.
Armstrong remains strong in this challenge just outside the Cumnock box.
“Hmmm…I wish they two could move so that we can see the football.”
‘Shankers’ gets involved in a tussle with James Lundie late in the game.
As the referee blows the full time whistle, Shankland cuts a victorious stance and celebrates another derby victory for Talbot. Photographs by Paul Flynn.

Auchinleck Talbot v Glenafton Athletic


Talbot paid the penalty for missed chances as they lost out 1-0 to Glenafton in the 1st competitive game of the new season.
The Glens settled first, knocking the ball around confidently, however without looking threatening. The first effort on target came in the 9th minute when Weir conceded a free kick 35 yards out. Gray took it & drilled a powerful low shot on target that flew straight at Leishman.
Talbot put together a neat move in the 12th minute, a series of quick passes ending with Shankland squaring the ball inside to S Wilson who burst forward but ballooned his shot way over the bar.
G Wilson came close in the 16th minute. He surged free down the left & raced into the area before angling a shot across goal that flew just wide of the left post.
The referee took centre stage a minute later with a shocking decision. Menzies took G Wilson out as he looked to break into the box but instead of a free kick at the edge of the area, the ref bizarrely chose to book G Wilson for diving.
Slowly but surely Talbot were taking control of the game & ought to have taken the lead in the 29th minute. Glasgow pinched the ball midway inside the Glens half & released an early ball to send G Wilson clean through on goal; however he blazed his shot over the bar.
The Glens threatened in the 34th minute when McKernon slid the ball wide to the overlapping Park. He whipped a cross into the centre which Dallas just failed to connect with in front of goal.
Menzies had his name taken in the 38th minute for a late tackle on S Wilson.
The last chance of the half came Talbot’s way in the 41st minute. Shankland swept a corner in from the right which Hyslop met but his header clipped the top of the bar & went over.
Both sides emerged unchanged for the 2nd half & the 2nd period was only 5 minutes old when Gray picked up a caution for a late swipe at McPherson.
A minute later G Wilson nearly broke the deadlock when he gathered 25 yards out & sent a right foot shot flying just wide of McGarrity’s left post.
Dallas had a half chance soon after when he cut in from the left past McPherson & into the area but his shot sailed way over the bar.
Talbot carved out a decent opportunity in the 55th minute. Glasgow & Shankland played a one-two down the left releasing Shankland down the wing. He lifted an inch perfect cross to the back post where G Wilson ran onto it & powered a header on target but straight at McGarrity.
Down the other end Dallas created problems for the Bot defence when he got on the end of a corner & his glancing header was deflected wide of target.
The Bot’s next effort at goal came in the 63rd minute as Shankland squared it across to G Wilson who fired just wide of the right post from the edge of the box.
Both sides now made a change with Cairns on for Gray & Kemp replacing Shankland.
The Glens made a 2nd change soon after with Moore coming on for Borris.
Glasgow passed up a glaring chance to put Talbot ahead in the 68th minute. He raced onto a ball over the top to go through one on one with McGarrity but his shot was too near McGarrity who turned it wide. The resultant corner was fired in low into the centre where it was only partially cleared; coming out to Kemp on the 18 yard line. He tried to stroke it inside the left post & was only inches out as his shot slid just the wrong side of the post.
Moore & Harvey had their names taken in the 76th minute for an altercation following Moore’s late challenge.
Tucker made a double substitution in the 82nd minute, McIlroy & Armstrong replacing Glasgow & Latta.
Marlow & Kemp joined the crime count late on when they squared up near the touchline, both players receiving a yellow for their troubles.
The game looked destined to end goal less but with 1 minute remaining the Glens made the breakthrough. McGill’s shot from outside the area beat Leishman but came back off the underside of the bar. Pope challenged Andrew as he looked to latch onto the rebound & the ref pointed to the spot. DALLAS took the spot kick & although Leishman guessed the right way & got a hand to it the ball squirmed into the bottom corner to give the Glens the win.
Next up for Talbot is a weekend visit to Townhead in what should be a fiercely contested derby clash with Cumnock.

Talbot – Leishman, Harvey, Pope, McPherson, Weir, S Wilson, Hyslop, Glasgow, G Wilson, Shankland, Latta

Subs – McIlroy, Pooler, Kemp, Armstrong, McCracken

Glenafton – McGarrity, Park, Marlow, Menzies, McAusland, McKernon, Borris, Gray, Dallas, Andrew, McGill

Subs – Moore, McKnight, Cairns, Potter, Watson (gk)

Ardagh Cup Section 4

Auchinleck Talbot v Kilbirnie Ladeside

There was little for the Talbot fans to enjoy but the Indian Summer as Talbot fell to a 1-0 defeat to Ladeside in the Ardagh final.
There wasn’t much to write home about re the 1st half but what little there was concerned Talbot who edged a dull opening half.
Talbot had a half chance in the 4th minute when Graham Wilson sent Young clear down the right. He whipped a cross over to the far post where Hyslop made contact but couldn’t control it under pressure & it broke off him & went wide of the right hand post.
It took until the 22nd minute until either side threatened in the final third & again it was Talbot on the attack. McCracken picked the ball up wide on the right & played a great pass into the centre to find Steven Wilson. He ran onto it 25 yards out but with only Staunton to beat, he hesitated & the Ladeside defender nicked a foot in to halt his progress.
Two minutes later Talbot had a penalty shout waved away. Rafferty blocked McCracken’s low cross in from the right but the ball skipped up off his foot & hit him on the hand; however the ref dismissed Talbot’s appeal & awarded the corner kick. When the corner came over Hyslop glanced a header beyond the back post to find Graham Wilson in space. He tried to side-foot it home but Haxton deflected it behind.
Kilbirnie had a dangerous break in the 27th minute. Lyle lost out to McElroy out on the left & the Kilbirnie striker raced forward before releasing it to Anderson on the right. He only had Pope between him & Leishman but Pope did well making a crucial challenge to clear.
There were few efforts at goal but Hyslop had a decent one in the 36th minute. He started the move, spreading the ball out left to Graham Wilson & when Wilson’s cross was headed out it came to Hyslop 20 yards out & he took it on the half volley, sending a shot just over the bar.
A minute later Hyslop had a real chance to give Talbot the lead. Steven Wilson spun outside the area leaving two Kilbirnie men behind before slotting the ball through to Hyslop inside the area. It came to him 16 yards out in space but he got nothing behind his shot & tamely passed it straight at Hughes.
Talbot had a 2nd penalty claim turned down in the 42nd minute & again it was for handball. Young played a free kick to Graham Wilson on the right of the area & when he laid it back Green appeared to control it with his arm before clearing.
On the stroke of half time Talbot nearly took the lead, forcing the first real save of the afternoon from either keeper. Hyslop won a free kick out on the left which Pope fired into the centre. It was cleared but came straight back to Pope who crossed it to the back post where McCracken’s header was kept out at his left post by Hughes.
There were no changes at the interval & no change in the pattern of the game, with neither side able to retain possession or offer a threat in the final third.
The first near thing in the 2nd half came in the 53rd minute when Boyle misjudged a high ball through the centre. McElroy looked like he might nip onto it but McGoldrick got across to clear the danger.
Talbot’s first effort of the 2nd half came in the 55th minute. Hyslop played it into Graham Wilson who squared the ball across for White. He tried to place it inside the post from 20 yards but Hughes was well positioned to make the stop.
Brannan became the 1st player cautioned when he saw yellow in the 61st minute for barging Graham Wilson over as he broke forward.
Kilbirnie now made their 1st change with McTernan coming on for Anderson.
This proved an inspired change as Kilbirnie took the lead two minutes later through the sub. McElroy created the opening, gathering the ball 25 yards out before sliding it through to find MCTERNAN on the right of the penalty area & he drilled a low shot back across goal inside Leishman’s right post.
Tucker responded by making a double switch with Graham Wilson & White making way for Milliken & Shankland.
Talbot made their final change in the 73rd minute with Stevenson replacing Steven Wilson.
Stevenson was involved soon after coming on when he whipped a good cross over from the right but it was fractionally behind Hyslop who couldn’t adjust to get on the end of it.
Kilbirnie made their own double substitution in the 75th minute with Forde & Donnelly on for McElroy & Rafferty.
McGoldrick received a caution in the 82nd minute for a late tackle on Brannan out on the touchline.
The clock ran down as Talbot huffed & puffed without making any headway with Kilbirnie looking comfortable in their lead.
Right at the end Talbot almost snatched an unlikely equaliser when Shankland dived to meet a cross over from the right but he sent his diving header wide of the right post.
This was a disappointing afternoon for Talbot, who never turned up for the 2nd half & can have few complaints about the result. The Bot have no time to dwell on the result though as they face a tricky away tie in the West next Saturday when they travel to face Cambuslang Rangers.

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, McGoldrick, Boyle, S Wilson, Young, White, G Wilson, McCracken, Hyslop

Subs – Shankland, Milliken, Stevenson, Thomson, Pooler

Kilbirnie – Hughes, Haxton, Gold, Staunton, Rafferty, Gray, Anderson, Green, McElroy, Grehan, Brannan

Subs – Forde, Donnelly, Malone, Meechan, McTiernan