Auchinleck Talbot v Penicuik Athletic

After what seemed an endless wait Talbot finally returned to action at Beechwood & it was worth the wait as Talbot ran out convincing winners over Penicuik, with the fans being treated to 7 goals in total.

Talbot got off to a muted start and it was the visitors from the east who shaded the early exchanges without ever threatening to breach Talbot’s defence.

The first effort on target came in the 14th minute when Glasgow laid the ball back to Healy and he drilled a powerful shot at goal from 20 yards that Watt had to parry.

The game really sparked into life in the 21st minute when Glasgow came close twice within a minute to breaking the deadlock. Firstly, his dipping shot from the edge of the area clipped the crossbar and shortly after his low right foot drive smacked off the base of Watt’s right post with the keeper well beaten.

Penicuik made a change after 25 minutes when Watson came on in place of Young.

Two minutes later Talbot took the lead. Samson charged down a clearance from the left-back and Shankland chased it down to the corner flag. Nifty footwork left the defender chasing shadows before he looped a cross to the back post where JACK MCDOWALL steered a header down & across and beyond the keeper.

The Bot came close to extending their lead in the 35th minute. Wilson cut the ball back from the left to find Shankland whose half volley from 18 yards flew just over the bar.

The visitors hadn’t offered much threat in the final third but they did have an opportunity to level after 36 minutes. A cross in from the left was headed clear by Wilson but only as far as Kateleza who lashed a powerful strike wide of target from 16 yards.

Play then switched to the other end where Shankland found Lyle in space down the right. He hung a cross over to the far post where Samson met it but couldn’t direct it on goal from a tight angle.

The last chance of the half came in the 42nd minute. Shankland evaded a couple of challenges before slipping a pass through to Glasgow. He turned his man & fired on target but straight at Watt and so Talbot reached the interval a goal ahead.

Tucker made a raft of changes for the start of the 2nd half with Shankland, Glasgow & Armstrong making way for Boylan, Robbie McCracken & White.

The changes almost paid off immediately with Robbie McCracken nearly doubling Talbot’s lead. His shot from a tight angle caused Watt an anxious moment as the keeper turned it round his left post.

A minute later McCracken had another effort on target when Watt dived low to his right to save his effort from 20 yards.

It was all Talbot now and the Bot had a penalty appeal waved away in the 52nd minute. McDowall’s cut back found Boylan on the left of the area and his fierce drive was blocked en route leading to a shout for hand ball.

Talbot did double their lead in the 54th minute courtesy of a wonderful strike from a set piece. Lamb upended McDowall as he raced forward resulting in a free kick 35 yards out. KEIR SAMSON stepped up and curled an unstoppable shot over the wall that flew inside Watt’s left hand post to make it 2-0.

Penicuik tried to respond and Reid tested Hewitt in the 58th minute with a well struck effort from 30 yards that he held low to his left. The visitors now made a double change with Kateleza & Edwards making way for Furness & Hope.

Before the subs had a chance to look at the ball Talbot extended their lead. McDowall pounced on a slack pass midway inside the Penicuik half, carrying it forward before releasing BRYAN BOYLAN on the left & he slotted it past the keeper to make it 3-0.

In the 64th minute Talbot won another free kick within shooting range when Boylan was fouled 30 yards out but this time Samson’s effort went just too high.

Talbot now completed their changes with youngsters Murphy & Smith from the development squad replacing Samson and McDowall.

The visitors pulled a goal back in the 72nd minute following a good passing moved which ended with REID racing onto a pass in behind down the left & coolly passing the ball beyond Hewitt.

However any hopes of a comeback proved short-lived as Talbot added to their lead in the 75th minute. Lamb, who was anything but meek, caught Boylan late inside the area & the ref pointed to the spot. WILLIE LYLE stepped up and his spot kick sent the keeper the wrong way to put Talbot 4-1 ahead.

Talbot had to play out the closing ten minutes a man short after McPherson took a heavy knock and couldn’t continue.

Penicuik took advantage of the extra man to exert some pressure on Talbot and forced a string of corners in succession which Talbot successfully defended.

With 2 minutes remaining Penicuik reduced the leeway with a well-constructed goal. Finnie flighted a good ball over the defence to find TANSEY inside the area & he smashed his shot past Hewitt to make it 4-2.

Talbot weren’t quite finished though and completed the scoring with the final kick of the game. Boylan’s tenacity saw him win the ball out on the right and his cut back from the bye line was met by KIERAN HEALY who lashed it first time inside the keeper’s left post.

A good win and performance from Talbot who will be back in action next Saturday when they host Clydebank in a tough opening fixture to the league campaign.


Auchinleck Talbot – Hewitt, Lyle, A Wilson, McPherson, C McCracken, Armstrong, McDowall, Healy, Glasgow, Samson, Shankland


Subs – Boylan, R McCracken, White, Smith, Murphy



Penicuik Athletic – Watt, Baptie, Young, Edwards, Kateleza, Tansey, Neave, Lamb, Collins, Forbes, Reid


Subs – Watson, Furness, Finnie, Hope


The Penicuik ‘keeper pulls off a great save, as a legendary ‘keeper watches from the terrace.


Samson gets stopped in his tacks, as he tries to race up the wing.


Talbot take the lead, as McDowell pops up at the back post to head the ball home into the far bottom corner of the net. 1-0.


Samson congratulates Jack, as Mark and Kieran celebrate in the background.


I think Jack is practicing for the upcoming Olympics, as he goes hurdling over the incoming defenders.


Keir does his best to block the clearance by Penicuik.


Samson collides with the upright, as he has a go with a header from a very awkward angle.


Aiden Wilson tries to speed past his opponent on the outside.


Kieran takes a tumble in the box while having a go at goal.


After going on a great run up the middle of the park, Shankers threads a clever ball through for…


…for Armstrong, who skips past the ‘keeper but is deemed to be offside.


An early second half chance for Talbot but the ‘keeper thwarts the effort.


Talbot get awarded a free-kick in a dangerous area after Jack McDowell gets tripped while racing through on goal.


Samson stands poised, 25 plus yards out, as he looks to send the ball…


…flying spectacularly into the top corner of the net and extend Talbot’s lead. 2-0.


Keir, quite rightly, gets swamped by his team-mates after scoring an absolute stunner.


From the left hand side of the box, Boylan makes it three for Talbot, as he slots the ball past the ‘keeper. 3-0.


From the spot, Wullie Lyle smashes home Talbot’s fourth goal. 4-0.


Healy is all smiles after seeing Lyle score.


Penicuik score their second, as the ball gets fired into the back of the net from a difficult angle. 4-2.


The scoring is rounded off, as Kieran Healy finds the net and leaves the Penicuik ‘keeper rooted to the spot. 5-2.


The beaming face of a man that loves scoring for the ‘Bot!


Neilston v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot held on to the Hugh Blair Trophy after a tousy battle with hosts Neilston at Brig O’ Lea park on Saturday. It was a match that saw both keepers being void of any saves to make as both sides nulified each other which resulted in a poor game overall.

Playing down the slope Neilston were the quickest out the traps forcing three corners in the opening five minutes, but these were well dealt with by the Talbot defence, On 8 minutes Talbot won their first corner which was cleared into the path of Bain but his speculative shot was well past the goals.

Neilston were dealt a blow on 16 minutes when their experienced defender Doyle had to go off with an injury he had picked up after a tussle with Samson, and was replaced by Haggerty who had just featured in the Development match an hour earlier. Two minutes later the first clear cut chance fell to the home side when a cross into the box by Bulger was missed by the Talbot defence but although managing to fashion an opening Jones miss hit his effort and it trundled into the hands of Leishman,

Neilston keeper Digney took a sore one on 27 minutes when he collided with McDowall as both players had an eye on the ball when Shanland whipped in a superb cross. A minute later Talbot looked to have taken the lead when Craig McCracken headed a Shankland corner off the underside of the bar where it looked to be well over the line before being cleared by Halliday. With no official linesmen in place the referee waved play on.

The game decended into a door midfield battle after this with both sides defending well, but failing to create many chances. The last real bit of action was when Shankland again found the head of McCracken but his diving headed went a couple of feet past the post.

At the start of the second half Talbot replaced Healy, Pearson, Boyd, Samson and McDowall with Robbie McCracken, White, Glasgow, Boylan and Armstrong. While the home side swapped McLaughlan with Fletcher.

The second half was hardly started when the first talking point emereged when McPherson and Brophy both went for a loose ball which resulted in the Talbot man picking up a yellow card as the Neilston player went through a series of rolls and screams, before playing on minutes later, much to the disgust of the travelling support.

Ten minutes into the second half Boylan cut down the right wing before sending in a delightful ball which was missed by a couple of Talbot players who actually got in each others way. Willie Lyle was next in the book when he swept the feet from Haddow as the player tried to set up an attack. Things were now getting fiesty with R. McCracken and Stirling squaring up to each other, and minutes later the Talbot youngster was in the book after fouling Loughlin.

Shortly after Boylan and Bain split the home defence with a break down the right wing but when the cross came over White was unable to stear his header toward the target. The breathrough came in the 72 minutes thanks to some neat play by Boylan where he picked the ball up in the box before smashing it past the keeper and a number of players.

This was to be the last real action of any note as Talbot weathered a late Neilston comeback where tension again rose with Brophy going into the book for mouthing after Fletcher had the ball in the net but he was well offside.

All in it was a good win in a match with few chances, but no doubt it was a good work out by both sides.

Leishman, Bain, Lyle, McPherson, C.McCracken, Healy, Pearson. Boyd, Samson, Shankland, McDowall. SUBS: R.McCracken, White, Glasgow, Boylan, Armstrong, Hewitt.

Pollok v Auchinleck Talbot

Johnstone Burgh v Auchinleck Talbot

Kello Rovers v Auchinleck Talbot





















Johnstone Burgh

Auchinleck Talbot v Rossvale

Neilston v Auchinleck Talbot

Irvine Meadow v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot shot themselves in the foot after squandering a two goal lead against a spirited Meadow side who must have thought Christmas had came early after they were gifted all three goals.

Talbot were on easy street early in the first half thanks to goals by Dwayne Hyslop and Bryan Boylan, but right on half time Andy Leishman spilled a harmless shot in front of goals and ex-Talbot player Mick Reilly slotted home the loose ball.

Half way through the second half Meadow were level when Dillan Young failed to deal with a hefty punt up the park and another ex-Talbot man Dylan Pooler nipped in to stroke the ball past Leishman and into the net via the post. Like the first half Meadow were to score again with the last kick of the ball when a corner kick was handled in the box and Liam Miller sent Leishman the wrong way with the spot kick.

Along with gifting goals Talbot’s finishing was under the spotlight with Jack McDowall squandering too great chances, while Mark Shankland was unlucky with two dead ball efforts, one crashing off the post in the first half, while the home keeper was forced into a superb save in the second.

Only a friendly match, but with the season start in the horizon Talbot will have to up the ante in their next game.

Annbank United v Auchinleck Talbot

Talbot travelled to Annbank to take on the local United in the first of their friendly matches. The game was played in a surreal atmosphere as fans were banned due to Covid-19 restriction meaning only club officials were present.

The match was by as a contest in the first half as Talbot racked up a 3-0 lead, and after a flurry of substitutions in the second half they added another two goals to finish with an impessive 5-0 victory.

The first goal came through clever lead up work when Neil McPherson chipped a superb pass up the wing to Mark Shankland. He in turn showed great skill by bringing the ball down and flashing a wicked left foot cross in front of the home keeper. Unfortunately for the goalie he collided with his own player leaving an unmarked JAMIE GLASOW to bundle the ball into the net.

Goal number two came about due to a powerfull run up the left wing by Jack McDowall who left a number of Annbank players in his in his wake leaving him time to pick out the shaved head of STEPHEN WILSON who had all the time in the world to stear the ball past the keeper.

Shankers scores goal of the gameGoal of the game fell to MARK SHANKLAND who latched onto a brilliant through ball by Jamie Glasgow and after bamboozling a crowd of Annbank players who were expecting him to pass the ball, he set himself up to wrong foot the keeper and send a stunning drive from just inside the box into the net,

There was a number of changes during the interval and after just being intoduced to the proceedings BRYAN BOYLAN made it 4-0 when a speculative long ball from the wing wasn’t cleared by the home defence which fell into the path of the striker. The former “Buffs” hitman needed no second chances as he did well to kill a difficult loose ball leaving him time to pick his spot in the left hand side of the goal.

The game was over as a contest soon after when a Hamish McKinlay corner found the head of GRAHAM WILSON at the front post, where he glanced the ball high into the net away from the clutching hand of the keeper.

All credit to the “Bankies” who put up a decent display which was lead by former Talbot player Robert Love. The Confernce side did give the Talbot defence some food for thought, and proved to be difficult opposition in parts of the game.

TALBOT: Leishman, Lyle (R.McCracken), A.Wilson, Young (C.McCracken), McPherson (Healy), Hyslop (Armstrong), McDowal (G.Wilson), Shankland (McKinlay), Glasgow (Boylan), Pearson (White), S.Wilson)