Auchinleck Talbot v Whitletts Victoria




Talbot’s hot streak in front of goal continued as they eased to a 6-0 win over Whitletts Vics in this sectional cup quarter-final tie.

Talbot started slowly and it was the visitors who had the first chance of the afternoon in the 5th minute. Cunningham met a corner over from the right but directed his header wide of the right post.

Down the other end Talbot won a free kick in a useful area following a barge on Shankland who took the set piece himself; firing into the wall from 20 yards out. The ball rebounded out to Healy who blazed well over.

The opening goal came in the 13th minute. Young took a quick free kick inside his own half to release it to Lyle on the wing. He played it up the line to find Shankland whose low ball across goal was turned behind by Miller at the far post. When Shankland flighted the corner over Barclay flapped at it & only succeeded in pushing the ball out to HAMISH MCKINLAY who crashed a shot home from 15 yards.

The Bot had a chance to extend their lead in the 17th minute. McKinlay cut in off the right & played it across to Shankland. He in turn fed it out to Glasgow who returned the ball back into Shankland’s path but he shot straight at the keeper.

Findlay received a caution in the 19th minute for a late challenge out on the left touchline.

Talbot moved two ahead in the 22nd minute. Whitletts managed to clear away a Shankland corner but when the ball was lobbed back into the area it fell to DILLON YOUNG in acres of space & with the Vics defence looking in vain for offside he fired low past Barclay.

Glasgow came close to grabbing Talbot’s 3rd in the 28th minute. Shankland chested the ball down into his path & he hared through the centre leaving defenders in his wake before clipping a shot just wide of the right post.

McKinlay had a great chance to grab his 2nd of the afternoon in the 33rd minute. He timed his run to perfection to latch onto a ball down the left & race clean through into the box but he drilled a shot straight at Barclay.

Two minutes later though Talbot did grab their third. McKinlay surged past Miller, who had a couple of nibbles at him, but the ref gave a good advantage and waved play on. He found Pope who in turn played it up the line to Glasgow and when he swept a cross over Barclay made a hash of it; dropping the ball into the feet of MARK SHANKLAND who turned it home at the back post to complete the 1st half scoring.

There were no changes during the interval but it didn’t take Tucker long to make a double switch after the re-start; Graham Wilson & Keir Samson coming on up top for Glasgow & Shankland in the 51st minute.

Within two minutes of entering the fray GRAHAM WILSON made it 4-0 to Talbot. The Bot won a free kick 20 yards from goal for Kerr’s shove on McKinlay and he fired it past the wall and inside the right post.

Whitletts now made their own double substitution with Ewart & Reid on for Brown & Anderson.

Vics came close to pulling a goal back on the hour mark. Reid bent a good ball up the right channel to find Donovan & he hit a 1st time shot just wide of the left post.

Encouraged by this Whitletts then put together a neat move that ended with Donovan firing on target from the edge of the area that Leishman parried then gathered at the 2nd attempt.

In the 64th minute Whitletts made their final change when Davidson replaced Dinwoodie.

Talbot made their third and final change two minutes later with White replacing Hyslop in midfield.

Talbot’s next attack saw McKinlay combine well with Samson down the left before Samson fired a good low ball across goal that Barclay did well to cut out.

With quarter of an hour remaining Talbot made it 5-0 following a period of concerted pressure. A corner from the right was met by the unmarked GORDON POPE who floated a header across goal and inside the right post.

The game was long gone but Davidson came close to a consolation effort when he let fly from 25 yards; only to see his shot fly wide of the left post.

In the 81st minute McDowall whipped over a dangerous ball from the right touchline that Barclay cut out with White waiting to pounce to tap home.

Talbot completed the scoring in the 85th minute. A free kick was taken quickly into McKinlay on the right of the area. His shot was blocked but it spun across to KEIR SAMSON in space on the left & he squeezed a shot under Barclay to make it 6-0 to the Bot.

A comfortable afternoon for the Bot and this win now sees Talbot travel through to face Beith and the Bellsdale ski slope in Wednesday’s semi-final.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Aiden Wilson, Young, Hyslop, Healy, McDowall, Glasgow, Shankland, McKinlay

Subs – Graham Wilson, Samson, Stephen Wilson, Armstrong, White

Whitletts Victoria – Barclay, Findlay, Miller, Isaac Kerr, Brown, Cunningham, Lewis Kerr, Boyd, Dinwoodie, Donovan, Anderson

Subs – Ogston, McColgan, Ewart, Davidson, Reid

Read more:


Date Time Season
August 24, 2019 14:00 2019/20


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot336
Whitletts Victoria000

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
4Aiden WilsonDefender0000
6Kieran HealyMidfielder0000
12Keir Samson 9Forward1000
10Jamie Glasgow 14Midfielder0000
14Graham Wilson 10Forward1000
15Steven White 8Midfielder0000
9Mark Shankland 12Forward1000
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
 Total 3000

Whitletts Victoria

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table